Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Carole - I agree with Wally. I've read several Tana French novels ever since my niece-in-law said she couldn't get through one. Oh well - she's under 40 with young children & works full time. I'm retired and read a lot.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Pinedale, WY tonight…and leftover spaghetti.

I was somewhat of clueless when I went off to college, but had been taught the basics.

The neighbors were retired restaurant owners and they helped with the cooking education. Mickey coming over to study (and cook and eat) helped with the cooking. Cooking for one didn't seem worthwhile and, before we met, every night was hamburger cooked in the microwave oven. Also she and I could watch a TV cooking show and put together our notes to make the recipe work out…most of the time. :-)

When Sharon and I were married we each had been living on our own for 10+ years, so we had figured out a lot of "life hacks".

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Managed to grill tonight (swordfish & asparagus) before it got too windy to keep the gas grill lit (no rain yet, but it's coming). Supplemented with Manhattan fish chowder (ono) and marinated artichokes from Hooked on Fish, as well as tomato salad on baby lettuces. Dessert was fresh figs. Want to go out tomorrow night but it'd have to be too late for Bob (working Saturday) because I must go to temple, which doesn't end till after 8. Our former rabbi & his wife—who'd moved to Israel to start a Reform congregation—are in town to see their kids, and he will lead services tomorrow. It will be a much different service than originally planned (weeks before the Hamas attacks), and I think the discussions over the Oneg Shabbat (usually desserts & decaf) will be a lot longer than usual.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

The baby back ribs were delicious. I pre-cooked them in the oven and dh finished them on the grill. I made roasted butternut squash and sweet potato on a sheet pan following a Pinterest recipe with a variation. I squeezed fresh orange juice over the cubes and sprinkled with pumpkin pie spice. Then my variation, I drizzled some honey. I wondered about the absence of any oil. The cubes tasted good but were dry. DH didn't eat much of his serving, claiming that he has no taste. He dipped his bites of rib meat in barbecue sauce.

Tonight will be chicken and sausage gumbo made with bone-in chicken thighs from the freezer. It's cool enough for gumbo.

• chisandy

Brunch was a veggie & mozzarella frittata. For dinner, started with the remaining Manhattan fish chowder. Entree was pan-seared whitefish fillets which I then simmered with cherry tomatoes, plus sauteed broccolini. Dessert was a couple of triangles of "Naked Truffle" brand (local artisanal from the farmers' mkt.) 85% single-origin chocolate with sea salt.

• carolehalston

The chicken thighs went back into the refrigerator yesterday afternoon and we had leftover speckled butterbeans and rice and a romaine salad for dinner. The temperature had gotten up to 80 degrees outside, 78 degrees inside, and the a/c wouldn't come on. I didn't want to heat up the house more with cooking.

Our reliable a/c man came this morning and fixed the problem.

So I'll cook the gumbo today, go to the polls and vote with no enthusiasm about the outcomes since all the winners will be members of the "other party" which has put Louisiana at the bottom of most lists. There is little hope of any enlightened leadership in the near (or far) future.

Nance, I hope you are doing better and having less pain, or none, hopefully.

• eric95us

We spent the night un Moab, UT and ate gamburger and (gas) oven baked potatoes….no electricity at our campsite.

It's busy because this place is in the eclipse zone. 100 miles south, the towns are inundated with evlipse watchers….towns of 200 people with 2000 folks areiving to watch….

We're going to just stay put here for the morning and leave later when, hopefully, things have calmed down.

Some friends are at our house. They are also wanting to move from Phoenix and are checking the area out where we live….the eclipse is an "extra"….

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

Hi all - came back from our trip, had a busy couple of days with laundry and bill paying, grocery shopping, etc. Unfortunately, I experienced back spasms and pain, which could only be remedied with heat and a supine position. Did that for a week, feeling better each day, then did too much and went back to the start. Rested a day, and the last two days have been just ok, but not totally fixed. Currently have tolerable discomfort. Worst position is sitting - thus no posting. I have long-standing lumbar disc issues, and a more recent finding of thoracic bone spurs. Hoping this is just a random flare and will go away.

Dinner has been spotty - due to being supine (not good for cooking…) and DH eating his lunch late and not being hungry, which worked out great, because…supine.

I did manage to make one dinner that was small pieces of tenderloin that I cut into bite size and briefly pan cooked with sat, pepper and Worchestershire, over mashed garlic red potatoes with steamed green beans. Not sure what tonight holds. I have some chicken I thawed yesterday thinking I would pan cook, slice and have with spinach and strawberry salad that has pecans and goat cheese on it. Could do burgers and sweet potato fries - we went out to lunch earlier with DD, beau, fam friend and DH, and we discussed grilling with the group. It is warm here, currently 80 at 6pm, but the humidity is not bad. I am thinking I may get in the hot tub tonight and let the jets work some magic on my lower back.

Monday is DD's follow up with the ENT. She is hanging in, but anxious to have some answers and a plan. We had two days of rain here and she had sharp facial pain. Pretty sure this is a sinus issue (hopefully) and even if surgery is required it is pretty routine. Same one DH had in Sept 2020, but his was at the height of Covid and he was all alone in the hospital. Fortunately, we can be with her if surgery is needed.

On the good news front - we accepted an offer on our downtown house this afternoon, 30 day close, asking price offer, new buyer is a relocating military member coming home from Europe. Yay!

• chisandy

Special, feel better and take all the help (and understanding by family) you can get. Back pain is brutal. Sinus issues are rampant up here with weather roller-coasters, especially when barometric pressure drops drastically just ahead of storms. Molds are sky-high (the only allergen that worsens with rain), but despite the calendar (and the local hospital's pollen counts now in "drydock" till -4/15) ragweed is still growing and pollinating like crazy in the alleys. Gale force winds are keeping it airborne, too.

Dinner tonight was at Shaw's Crab House. We had a mini-seafood platter: 2 each oysters (Island Creek from Cape Cod and Fanny Bay from BC) and jumbo shrimp, and half a Maine lobster tail (from small "chicken" lobsters) apiece. Bob had a wedge salad, I had a cup of lobster bisque, which inexplicably had carrots in it. (Probably to stretch it out and make up for very little actual lobster). Bob's entree was a filet mignon; mine was miso-glazed sea bass with shiitakes. We split sauteed spinach. Was going to cheat by splitting a slice of their famous key lime pie, but they ran out—saving my blood sugar. No key lime pie, no point in dessert. But when we got home, I did have a couple of "High Key" faux-Oreos (4 net carb for three), which I find much closer to the real thing than the larger Catalina Crunch version, which gets stuck in my molars no matter how much I brush & rinse afterward.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Last night (and tonight's leftovers) was baramundi, pan cooked in a cream/soy/garlic "glaze"/sauce; steamed broccoli and oven fried purple potatoes.

• minustwo

sounds delicious Wally.

I'm cleaning the fridge. Sauteed fresh spinach. Two leftover meatballs & mushrooms in Raos marinara. Two crumpets. Served with a glass of lovely Spanish Garnacha. Just now topping off with a bedtime tot of Amarula.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Quick stovetop chili and Costco Chicken Enchiladas -simple fare- have been the norm since moving in early October. Too tired to cook so going out a lot too.

Minus I continue to love your creative kitchen shenanigans. When I'm actually cooking I appreciate everyone's interesting and usually healthy ideas too.

DH had a wonderful seafood chowder recently so I'll share that.

❤️

• wallycat

Thanks minus. I forgot I added Matsatuki (sp?) mushrooms; Dh wasn't a fan so I got them all!

I had to google Amarula. Sounds delightful!

• carolehalston

The leftover chicken and sausage gumbo with brown rice was good again last night. I used the usual salad ingredients to make a chopped salad with mayo dressing.

Tomorrow the first shipment of Hungryroot is supposed to arrive. I'm having second thoughts about subscribing. Will report on the experiment in healthy eating.

That seafood chowder looks delicious. The best we ever had was in Maine.

• minustwo

Dinner tonight provided by the Houston Police Department. It's for those of us who volunteer to assist through out the year. I'm assuming it's buffet, but we'll see. Guess I shouldn't have my normal cocktail before I go? Hmmm - is there still such a thing as "sen-sen"?

I've cleaned the fridge enough that only hot dogs & coleslaw remain. That doesn't mean there aren't still plenty of things in the freezer that need to be used. I'm thinking about defrosting some chicken breast for tomorrow and marinating/cooking with Korean marinade. On the other hand, if it stays cool another day or two, I might actually defrost a pork roast.

• minustwo

Forgot to say - I agree that the chowder looks delicious. Hmmm - I've had great clam chowder in Boston and in San Francisco - but strangely enough, also in land locked SaltLakeCity. My dad preferred the red (Manhattan) but I prefer the white.

• wallycat

Did a whole duck in the crockpot experiment. Not horrible. Ate the
    breasts with green beans and wild rice blend. Leftovers tomorrow.

• minustwo

Wow Wally. That's ambitious.

Dinner provided by the Police Dept was delicious. Salad, pasta Alfredo, chicken Parmesan, spaghetti, rolls, chocolate & vanilla cake. They made a point to have something for everyone to take home. I came home with a personalized plaque but also a portable gun safe - for those extremely few places in Texas that you have to leave your gun in the car. Since I don't carry, I will donate it for a drawing at our next Civic Club meeting. They had the SWAT team, the bomb squad (with the robot dog) the canine corps, the equestrian unit, the dive team, etc. Interesting to talk with all those different specialties

• chisandy

I don't know if they still make Sen-Sen, but Indian restaurants keep a little dish of fennel seeds by the cash register to conceal garlic/curry breath. Chewing parsley helps too—but I'm not sure what cloaks the scent of alcohol.

Brunch was a slice of hi-fiber toast with guacamole & avocado-toast seasoning. Walked to Regalia tonight; shared the usual Mediterranean salad. My app was tuna carpaccio; Bob's was meatballs over polenta. We both had veal entrees: his was scallopine marsala with spinach & mashed potatoes; mine was a grilled chop with roasted spiced cauliflower. Too full to even consider dessert, but my nightly challenge is looming: carb cravings before bedtime. I wish I craved, say, lettuce or turkey breast instead.

• carolehalston

The Hungryroot box arrived yesterday. I chose one of the four recipes for dinner last night. Pesto pasta with sliced chicken. It was easy and very tasty. The chicken was two breast fillets that were already cooked. I warmed them in a skillet and sliced them. I cooked the whole package of pasta so half will go into the freezer.

Tonight will be beef burgers (grass fed animals) on thin brioche buns. I'll probably add veggies to the meal since I over bought veggies on my initial grocery shopping trip. So typical of me.

I like being told what to cook with instructions! LOL.

Wally, duck in a slow cooker. Wow. You are a food adventurer. I cooked duck in the oven once many years ago and remember a lot of liquid fat filling the roaster.

Minus, your police dinner sounds good and interesting with all those policemen on hand.

Nance, how are you doing? Same question to Special K and other missing foodies.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

carole - doing ok, I am also wondering what auntienance is doing and whether she is ok - I know she was having back pain issues. I am sympathizing, I don't know what is causing mine. It has abated, but not completely gone away. It gets worse by the end of the day with normal activity. This is an unusual development, as the normal heat, rest, and Advil doesn't seem to be working as well as it has in the past. Aging is not for sissies…Bleh.

Over the weekend we grilled brats and cheeseburgers. DD and beau came over. I made pasta salad, baked potato salad, a mixed green salad with strawberries/pecans/goat cheese/sliced chicken breast, and cucumbers in sour cream dressing. We ate those leftovers in various combinations but now they are all used up so I will have to cook something tonight, lol!

wally - my mom cooked duck several times a year on a countertop Farberware rotisserie. It was a great way to cook because the fat dripped off into a catch pan under the rotisserie. Hilariously, the two cats would sit on the kitchen floor just in front of where the rotisserie was slowly spinning, they just stared and watched it go around. I can't believe they never jumped up to investigate - that is something my cat would definitely do - he has zero manners…

I think tonight will be boneless pork chops, cut sweet potato that is oven roasted, and broccoli - prob also in the oven. I have some leftover bacon from the baked potato salad so I might wrap the pork chops. If I don't do that, I will put it in the oven when I roast the veggies. I often then crumble it and freeze it for a later use.

• carolehalston

SpecialK, all those leftover foods appeal to me.

Last night's Hungryroot dinner was a beef burger with a bean, corn, celery and onion salad. The burger was delicious on a thin bun spread with avocado mixture. DH ate all the salad since it included raw onion and seemed to enjoy it. He commented that he liked the bun because it was thin and not so "bready."

Tonight is a roasted half chicken, a potato dish and green beans.

There was an email this morning with info on next week's shipment.

• wallycat

I'm sorry for all of you in pain. My DH is struggling with the trigeminal nerve/oral pain so eating becomes so hard. I worry about his weight loss. Ugh.

The duck turned out great. It was easy for him to chew and not very stringy. No mess. I've made goose and duck in the oven many times and this was by far the "neatest" way to go. I save the duck fat for pan fried potatoes. Liquid gold. Better than schmaltz.

More duck leftovers.

• chisandy

Wally, hugs for your DH's trigeminal/oral pain. Is it "tic doloreux?" My aunt suffered from it, and it's indeed brutal. Sounds like it may be time for bisques, ice cream, and milkshakes/malteds/extra-protein Boost or Ensure.

I've been having ear pain on the L while chewing. By process of elimination, we've determined it's my TMJ. Not an ear or sinus infection: normal temp, no toothache, neither swollen gum nor lymph nodes; there are "clicking" noises & grinding sensations when I move my jaw; and when I press on the joint while chewing there's no pain. The last time this happened was way back when I was a "3L" and I'd eaten a stale bagel. So it's likely to go away. If not, I may have to do an Invisalign for my lower teeth.

Last night was Bob's 74th birthday. Per his wish, the kids & I took him to Fogo de Chao Brazilian steakhouse. Their "market bar" is so lavish (including soups, salads, stews, as well as charcuterie & cheese) that they offer it as a meal in itself (sans the little red/green disks that signals the waiters bearing the skewers of various meats). We went for the full monty—Bob & Gordy took two trips to the market bar. As for the meats, I opted for just the mammals (not interested in chicken or sausage): filet, picanha (their grilled sirloin specialty), ribeye, pork loin, pork belly, leg of lamb and mini lamb chops. (From the bar, I had brown sugar black pepper bacon as well as jamon Serrano, grilled veggies and butternut squash bisque with pumpkin seeds). I was weak-willed—ate one little cheese roll and a stick of fried polenta as well as half a broiled banana. But I was so full that I turned down the grilled pineapple for dessert. (Bob had the papaya cream with cassis and a—they put the birthday candle inside a raspberry).

Today after returning from my car appt. (more about that in the "Older" thread) I made myself a breakfast pizza: high-fiber toast topped with tomatoes, two kinds of mozzarella, basil leaves, EVOO and Alessi "dipping spices" seasoning. Tonight, especially if Bob works late, I'll likely do salad and an omelet.

• eric95us

We got home last week. At our request some friends were at the house when we arrived home. They left for home this morning.

It has been nice cooking for more than just the two of us. :-)

Dinner last night was salmon and we tried some beans that we got from the Hubble Trading Post on our way to Michigan. They were too hot (spicy) even for me….and I like spicy foods… The label indicated "dill", but said nothing about other spices. I'm not sure what we are going to do with the beans.

At the end of a deployment, when we get back to an area where it is unaffected by the reason we were deployed, there is usually at least one night before we get on a plane for home. When that happens we go out and get a tasty (ie. not a MRE) meal. On the last deployment, when we got back to Miami, we went to a Brazilian steak house that had the same arrangement…except we all did both the amazing "salad bar" and had the red and green discs on the table. :-) It was GOOD!!!!!

• chisandy

Eric, any way to rinse the beans? As for dill, it's not a spice but an herb and it tastes mostly grassy—no heat whatsoever.

Dinner was shakshuka with 2 eggs (plus olives & feta).

• eric95us

I like the dill taste.

Anyway, I soaked the beans overnight and it was still like eating a habanero pepper.

• wallycat
    edited October 2023

I made a stew of sorts with the last of the duck carcass, any of the collagen broth it produced, added veggies. Let the carcass cool to pick off all the meat and added it back in. It was THE most INCREDIBLE meal I've made in years. We have leftovers and I may add udon noodles to it to make it like a ramen bowl of sorts. I'll be sad when we finish that duck. Worth every penny and the crockpot experiment was a huge success.

Sandy, I believe DH does have tic doloreux though here, they simply say trigeminal neuralgia. His head MRI showed the blood vessel sitting right on the nerve on his right side. Poor guy. He's lost a lot of weight and strength; the radioactive treatment is causing some ulceration in his mouth, amongst other things. I hate cancer SO much.

• carolehalston

Wally, you're making me wonder if I should buy a duck. LOL. You amaze me with the number of meals you create out of a beginning meal.

Tonight will be Meal 4 from the Hungryroot shipment. A grilled turkey and cheese sandwich. Also a salad.

The snack items and breakfast items included in the shipment weren't good enough to want repeats.

• minustwo

Wally - I too am interested in the number of meals you create from one beginning. However I won't be cooking duck or goose. Too much fat & grease for me.

Carole - I had a plan for grilled cheese this weekend and as fate would have it, I have some lunch meat turkey. Your meal gives me an idea to mix the two.

But tomorrow I will make Naan pizzas since I defrosted some Raos and I have fresh mushrooms. (I buy Raos at Costco and freeze in 4 portions because I cook for one). Then I'll use the rest of the Raos with some Trader Joe's flame broiled meatballs. Hmmm - or I have a 'one meal' sized portion of boiled shrimp that I froze and maybe that would be good with a Rosa sauce - Raos & sour cream?

Been thinking about whose who are missing. Currently Nance of course. Hope you are OK Nance. But also Lacey since the format changed. I hope she's OK & I need to email her. And on another thread - I miss Chevy.