Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Pork ribs, spinach and cauliflower “mac n cheese”

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Mae, I still think you should be on the staff of a food magazine. :-)

That looks really good.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Nancy, after a disappointing experience with a GreenPan ceramic skillet (to replace my 5-yr-old OXO 8" whose coating had begun to deteriorate) I read a Wirecutter review of nonstick skillets and bought an 8" Tramontina, which I use for eggs (including omelets and slow-scrambles, which stick to a lesser-quality pan). I love it. Price was right too. When my 10" OXO starts to go south, I'll replace it with a Tramontina too. (Not worth spending $$$ on an All-Clad nonstick, which surface lasts no longer than that of an OXO). I use cast iron mostly for pan-searing steak and then cooking mushrooms in the steak juices with butter, shallots & parsley (although before I had to limit carbs I used it to bake cornbread).

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,896

lol Sandy. I have an 8" Oxo and a10" Tramontina. When replacing my old 10" I was going to get another OXO until I read the Wirecutter review. Most of my stainless pans are tri clad Tramontina so I've been a fan. I have one All Clad. The Tramontina is considerably heavier than my old 10" (don't remember the brand) which made flipping the tortilla challenging but I didn't drop it so I'm calling it a win.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

Wally, is goat meat available in your supermarket? I've never eaten it.

Minus, that's a big price for candy! I looked at the See's candy at Belk's but it was mostly milk chocolate, not dark. I'm a dark chocolate fan.

I used my stainless skillet to brown the pork medallions for the piccata because the fond makes the gravy better. I splurged on this skillet years ago when I shopped in an upscale kitchen store.

I bought a cabbage and polish sausage yesterday to make a casserole that will include potatoes and carrots. That will probably be tonight's dinner. We probably should have a leftovers buffet instead since the refrigerator is filling up with leftovers. I'm not as successful as Minus and Wally in using leftovers before they become throw aways.

I'll have to research Spanish tortilla.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

We'll be eating a lot of leftovers. I'm packing for an overnight stay, just in case, but hopeful it won't come to that. Seattle just seems dirty and dangerous these days and we are not very familiar with the areas.

I still have my original le crueset 8" teflon coated one that I bought after DH and I were married, 30 years ago. I too use it mostly for eggs though my carbon steel, which is well seasoned, does a great job on frittatas.

Goat meat is not available at the stores. There is a small goat farm in Port Angeles (about an hour or so from us) and we ordered a goat. A new butcher…woman owned, is in Sequim, and she processed it. I'd have been happy to do it since I did 2 of our deer, but this is much easier (though more expensive, LOL). I've eaten goat when we traveled and at Indian restaurants in WI, when offered. It is not as "gamey" as lamb but more flavorful than pork. Very lean, almost to a fault.

• auntienance

Carole - it probably wouldn't be your cup of tea. It has lots of onions in it. It is delicious though.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

One more leftover dinner and the fridge is clear. Brussels Sprouts from PF Chang yesterday. Fresh mushrooms I sauteed in butter & added wine late last week before they turned . Leftover mashed/whipped potatoes from dinner with my ex-DH. I meant to pull some rotisserie chicken out of the freezer, but oh well - no protein tonight. I'm going to Katz deli later this week with a friend so we'll see what's left over from that lunch.

Carole - wonder why Belk doesn't carry See's dark chocolate? They make a dark version of almost all of their candies. Funny to remember my Mother loved dark chocolate and we wouldn't touch it as kids. Now that's my favorite too.

Wally - hope to hear positive results.

Eric - is your girl coming home for Christmas? My son will not be here so it will be a very quiet Christmas. I'm thinking about Linguine Vongole for Christmas Eve but no decisions yet.

• minustwo

Has anyone made "Cool Whip Cookies"? Only 3 ingredients. I'm going to try them later this week.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Minus I'm curious about cool whip cookies. Please share if you do them!

• wallycat
    edited December 2023

Minus, nothing positive, sadly.

He needs a CT scan to see if the bone mets went to his jaw bone; more antibiotics for the infection. If it isn't mets there, they think containing the infection is the best they can do—possibly IV antibiotics. I've cried too much today.

Cashews and red wine for dinner.

• auntienance

Tough news Wally. Sending some hugs your way.

• carolehalston

Awful news, Wally. More hugs.

• reader425

So hard Wally. I'm so sorry.

• minustwo

Wally - holding you in my thoughts. And nothing wrong with cashews & red wine for dinner.

I had mixed nuts, a pear and an eggnog with Gentleman Jack bourbon.

• chisandy
    edited December 2023

So sorry, Wally. Cashews & red wine—or anything you craved—were entirely appropriate for dinner, under the circumstances. Comfort food can be anything that comforts you.

Yesterday my HK invited me as her "plus-one" to a seniors' luncheon for West Siders, sponsored by the city treasurer and her husband the alderman for one of the West Side wards. It was supposed to start at 11am with lunch at noon. It was held in an auxiliary soundstage at the Lawndale campus of Cinespace Chicago. Unfortunately, it was a clusterf**k getting into the parking lot. Huge indoor space (cavernous, actually) but freezing cold because of the usual hot studio lights.

Anyway, politician after politician came to make speeches (county primary elections are this March), including our recently-elected Mayor (who is a West Sider himself). There was a soul-gospel band, plenty of door prizes (I came up dry). 11am arrived—not a speck of anything edible till they handed out Pepsis & Mt. Dews. By 1 pm, still no food except for a package of off-brand cookies brought to each table. My HK left in disgust at 1:15. The VIPs were served first, behind a partition wall (to avoid justifiable unrest). Rather than buffet-style (kind of tough for folks with walkers, Rollators and scooters to line up and carry plates), they were filling compartment boxes and delivering them to random tables (rather than by table number). Finally, at 1:40, I pointed out that the other three people still at my table were diabetic &/or on meds (whether or not that was actually true didn't bother them at all) and terrible things would happen if they had to sit any longer without food. What was the food? Fried chicken, mac & cheese, green beans slow-cooked with salt pork (really salty), extremely-candied sweet potatoes and a cornbread muffin. Mind you, given the age & demographic, easily half the attendees (or more) were likely Type 2 DM, hypertensive, had cardiovascular disease—any or all of the above. The food was exactly what contributed to their health issues (though I admit it was delicious).

Bob & I went out for a late-ish (8pm) dinner at the Palm. Remember how I was supposed to host T-Day dinner there but had to back off due to flu? Well, we dodged a bullet. When we first started going there (after being impressed by a drug co. dinner), we joined their 837 Club, amassing points and getting special wine offers. There were cozy booths and career waiters who knew everything about the menu. Then the Swissotel (it's on the first floor) redecorated it to make it more traveling-businessman-friendly (including doubling the size of the bar to accommodate a bazillion TV screens, all tuned to sports of course). Suddenly vintage years disappeared from the wine list, and so did the career waiters—replaced by people who knew nothing about the wines nor even how to trim & cut a steak for two, Glasses on the tables were dirty and gathered dust. The place used to be jumping, a tough table to get. The newbie server (we seem to get a different rookie every time now) had no idea what wines to order—she only knew from "red vs white."

Not even that any more. It got acquired by the Landry Group (includes Landry's, Joe's Crab Shack, Don Shula's, etc.), which shut down the 837 Club. The "Gigi" salad we always shared is now iceberg that sat out all day, overdressed with oil & vinegar, with fewer shrimp (smaller pieces) & green beans—and no hard-boiled egg. We had to ask twice for bread, which arrived halfway through the app. We had chosen it because Bob wanted his filet and I my prime rib (which the e-mail ads said ran from 12/15-Christmas. Nope—the waitress told us that would be part of a surf & turf for two from 12/26-Jan. 5.) Bob let me have whatever steak I wanted, so I went for the A5 Wagyu—expensive, but cheaper than even frozen at Wild Fork. I will say it was perfectly cooked and now understand what the big deal is. (One more thing crossed off my bucket list). As sides, we chose wild mushroom medley and their signature creamed spinach. The latter was more cream & parm than spinach and very salty. But the steaks were excellent. Oh, and their famous key lime pie, a mainstay of the dessert menu, is off the menu, Feh. At least the A5 wagyu was perfect—now I know what the fuss is about..

Tonight I made part of my Hooked on Fish order: raw oysters (Chelsea Gems) with mignonette (getting better at shucking, which is brutal upper-body exercise)—and salmon roe on mini-blini. Bob had a huge hospital-party Italian buffet lunch and was too full to eat a regular-size meal.

• carolehalston

We had the cabbage, potato, carrot and polish sausage baked dish last night with a side of cornbread. The meal was very good. On Monday night I took my own advice and we had the chicken salsa leftovers.

That luncheon sounds like major stress and disappointment, Sandy.

• wallycat

Last night were the turkey leftovers. Tonight, I'll try and make a turkey soup of sorts for any remaining meat, lots of veggies, beans and maybe some wild rice tossed in.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,730

Burgers and fries tonight. Hubby and I are celebrating my A and B- of my latest classes for my BA in English! By Halloween next year I should be done and no more college for me!

• illimae

Made pizza again but the dough still didn’t rise, so I’ll keep trying. One Pepperoni and onion (olives for DH) and one spinach and ricotta. Not very pretty but tasted great and it’s just nice to have pizza on a mountain far from anywhere.

• wallycat

Looks incredible, Illimae!

Our turkey soup turned out great; added lots of veggies, wild rice and beans, blah, blah. May have leftovers for lunch. Need to figure out a dinner tomorrow.

Had two spots looked at on my back. Ugh…one required a punch biopsy. Hopeful it is nothin' (no kidding).

• chisandy
    edited December 2023

Illimae, no apologies necessary—if the pizza dough doesn't rise, call it "flatbread."

Wally, you need this latest tsuris like a hole in the…back. But back in 2016 they had to punch-biopsy a suspicious spot on my back when the shave-biopsy was inconclusive. Fortunately, it was an "atypical nevus," benign. Odds are in your favor.

Bob's day off—I made bagels & lox (his was on a real sesame bagel, mine on a Thomas' keto Bagel Thin) for brunch. After we went to my hand-surgeon followup (nothing to be done, just accept I'm getting older), then the Apple Store (new watch for me, desperately-needed new iPhone for Bob); and gift-shopping at Barnes & Noble, we went to Jameson's Charhouse for dinner. He had a steak sandwich, I Greek halibut with winter veggies. His came with chicken noodle soup, mine with a Caesar salad. We shared a crabcake appetizer.

• carolehalston

The pizzas look good.

Last night's dinner was something of a debacle. DH came home from Sam's Club with a boneless lamb roast, 4.6 lbs. Talk about not planning ahead. He didn't consider all the leftover lamb and his appointment this morning with a dental surgeon. Enough details. I'll portion up the leftover lamb and freeze it.

Dinner tonight will probably be shepherd's pie made with ground beef. Something that doesn't require chewing.

Meanwhile I'll look for recipes with lamb in my Indian cooking book.

What are Christmas cooking plans? I will be cooking pork roast stuffed with garlic and green onions and cayenne pepper. Also the creamed spinach dish that my sister Michelle (hostess) loves. One brother and his wife had promised to join the four of us at Michelle's house but cancelled because of the weather forecast. This brother is a hermit and was on the lookout for a good excuse not to come. The family dynamics changed with my mother's passing and we no longer have gatherings on major holidays. Communication is a text thread with pictures.

In truth, I'm something of a hermit myself! LOL.

I forgot to mention that on Tuesday I made a loaf of my much-liked whole grain bread with the Einkorn flour that Wally brought to my attention. I enjoy a slice for breakfast with peanut butter and dribble of honey.

• chisandy

We're going out with a friend Christmas Eve, to Big Jones for their annual Creole Reveillon dinner. Next day we'll have leftovers for dinner; then visit friends for dessert & drinks—their son and DIL, plus DGS, are in from Seattle. (Gordy & Leslie left for TX this morning—not sure whether they're headed to her parents in Katy or they'll all meet at an Air BnB in Dripping Springs). On the fence about New Year's Eve: wary of another super-spreader event like last year's party after dinner. The friends who were the "vectors" last year had tested negative before attending, but hadn't mentioned they'd had symptoms. I may put my foot down and insist that everyone test AND anyone with the slightest cold symptoms just stay home, test or not. NYE is supposed to be in the 30s, with cold rain/snow showers—so throwing open the windows or gathering on the deck won't be an option. We have neither an outdoor heater nor firepit (nowhere safe to put it, since the deck is wood and we don't have a concrete patio).

Dinner tonight will be yesterday's & Tues. leftovers, supplemented with salad.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Hugs, Wally.

Minus. DD is arriving tomorrow afternoon and leaving Dec 26 (new employee with limited time off), so it will be somewhat of a whirlwind "bookended" with 8 hour car trips. MIL is also coming over for a few days.

She finally agreed to move from the current assisted living place to a new place. The current place has 3 assisted living residents, and 28 memory care residents…and the two are mixed together. This doesn't work well as the assisted living folks get treated the same as the memory care folks. The new place has 50+ assisted living residents, and the memory care residents are in a separate facility.

She, and we, can't wait for the move. It's been busy getting all the paperwork, medical provider notes and observations, and other application paperwork, furniture selections, etc. all completed.

Dinner will be quite a contrast. DD is "mostly vegan" and we are working on limiting meats (this diet dropped my LDL by over 60 points). We're still working out what's for dinner for Christmas..

• chisandy

I'm with your MIL on the move, Eric. After my first knee replacement surgery, I discovered too late (like 4 hrs before being discharged from a 2-day hospital stay) that I would need in-patient rehab due to having to undergo twice-daily PT, and there are 8 steps up to my house. I say "too late," because had I known, I'd have made a reservation at a decent in-network facility specializing in post-op or even orthopedic rehab. Instead, I found myself at the one in-network facility that had room for me. Men & women were on the same floor, sometimes adjacent rooms. The residents ranged from post-op to hospice to infected-wound care to memory care, all jumbled up on the same floors. There was an older guy who thought I was his daughter and would harangue me for snubbing him, sometimes pounding on my door or even wandering into my room "sundowning" late at night. The staff shrugged and said "it is what it is." I had 10 days of that hell. So she should make as sure as she can that her new facility doesn't mix memory care patients in with those who merely need help with their ADLs.

A year later, before my other TKR surgery, I toured and made two reservations with top-rated rehab centers—one for only orthopedic patients and the other exclusively for joint replacement recovery. The latter had a patient hold over, so I went to the former. It was like a luxury hotel with drugs. I hope your MIL can visit a few facilities and find the right one for her.

• reader425

Everyone's plans sound interesting or fun for the holiday, with some bittersweet mixed in. For Christmas Eve we'll follow DH Polish tradition of pierogies and cabbage soup (he'll cook) and I'll add applesauce from the crockpot. We'll make it ahead to have after the 5:00 candlelight service.

Christmas day it is just us. With our move this year we didn't have it in us to travel for the holiday. I'll make small versions of traditional fare. I'll be trying a 3.5 lb. Turkey breast in the crockpot.

A few days later we will be having a small dinner party to thank those who helped us with the move. Will share info about that later. Many food issues to accommodate.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate. Karen, you are doing a good, brave thing. Carole I 😆 🤣 at your lamb story. Lamb for days...

• illimae

No real holiday plans here, as we don’t celebrate but our anniversary is Dec 24th (23 years), DH is cooking a roast, and I always make my BFF’s family’s Butterball Soup on Christmas Day per their tradition. I look so forward to it and the weather will be perfect for it too with forecast lows in the 20’s & highs in the 40’s.

• carolehalston

We both enjoyed the shepherd's pie. There is enough leftover for dh's dinner tonight. I will have pork piccata leftovers.

DH is fortunate not to have any severe pain with the tooth extraction. He is taking Tylenol Arthritis and hasn't taken any of the codeine pain pills.

• wallycat

I made kielbasa with red onion, red cabbage and sweet potato. Left overs tonight.

Our ugly-dog-neighbor caused a huge fight and irritation. I have not been this angry in decades. They are self absorbed jerks who don't realize their German Shepard, off leash, running in my yard, IS NOT WELCOME. Had to take a beta blocker to calm down.