Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

Has anyone heard from Sandy?

Happy Anniversary Special.

There isn't much going on here. We did go to Phoenix to attend the last hiking club meeting. The club started in 1969 as an Arizona Public Service Company (electric utility) employee club. About 15 years ago, the company cut all ties with all (probably 25) employee clubs…citing liability concerns. It was to the point where employees were told to not use "word of mouth" about the clubs while on company time. As time wore on, people died or got too old to hike much and it wasn't worth keeping the club going any longer. Sharon and I first met at a hiking club meeting, so it had some special meaning to us.

Dinner was BBQ chicken at the club meeting. The next night we had spaghetti at a friend's house. Last night was "on the road food" and tonight is a tofu-rice-vegetable dish.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

DH and I had a late lunch while running errands, so my dinner was a hunk of mozzarella, a few walnuts and a handful of red grapes.

DH plans to make chicken and dumplings tomorrow but might not since we plan to have neighbor over for apps and a holiday cocktail. I’m making baked Brie and crostini’s with pesto but need to find a drink recipe for the gingerbread liquor and peppermint cream.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

Dinner last night was a favorite in our meal rotation. Rao's with addition of mild Italian sausage and cooked pasta from the freezer. Grated parmesan. Another regular and favorite, romaine salad with additions. Leftovers on the pasta dish.

Yum on the baked brie.

We have a package of flavored tofu in the refrigerator, a mystery item in the last Hungry Root box.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Went to Pappadeux for lunch today with a friend. Both of us ordered the fried shrimp, but substituted the fries for something more healthy. She had honey carrots baked with pistachios, I had broccollini. We shared a delicious creme brule for dessert. This is a restaurant that prides itself on their Louisiana cooking so it blows my mind that they discontinued offering remoulade or even thousand island as a poor replacement.

I ran errands both before & after - dentist, Costco, shoe store, used book store, gas, grocery store, etc. Unfortunately the bone has still not grown around the implant emplacement base enough, so the periodontist will let me move ahead to the actual 'tooth'. Oh well, I'm not spending Christmas with the Queen. (oops just occurred to me I've been saying that all my life and now it's a king). Tomorrow to the PCP to get my records corrected. Some idiot recorded in my 'chart' that the wrong breast had a recurrence of IDC. They won't fix it unless I make a personal visit. And finally Thursday I'll follow up with the orthopedic doc. MRI showed that I do not have a ruptured tendon - but do have some arthritis & bursitis. Not surprising at my age, but not the cause of the pain since July.

All the out of town packages have been shipped. Now I can concentrate on local items. Maybe even baking this year?? I haven't made date/nut bread in a long time and it's a favorite.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Tonight I "cooked from the pantry." I had a soup mix (an organic or natural brand, Wildwood) for tortilla soup there. Per the instructions, I added broth, chopped rotisserie chicken from the freezer, and salsa I needed to finish. Today was busy with a visit to motor vehicles, laundry, and emails to do. I lost yesterday completely due to a ( very) bad migraine (meds and bed type - DH sweetly made grilled cheese for supper). So a 20 minute cook time was in order. I hope they sell this soup mix here as we brought them with our move. I'll have to check. We both love it.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

Leftover chili from the cut up pot roast, last night, again. YUM. TOnight will be frozen pizza. DH and I both have an appointment tomorrow and I am elated they got him in so quickly to this new dental clinic. I hope they can figure out if the oral sores are treatment related or what is going on.

• carolehalston

Yesterday's main meal was a restaurant lunch, half a shrimp poboy and a cup of chicken and sausage gumbo.

Today I'm meeting two women friends for lunch at Oyster Half Shell restaurant. Too many lunches out in a row but it just happened that way. Not helpful with trying to lose weight.

Minus, I didn't know about your foot problem. My feet issues are stable now that I wear Hoka shoes almost all the time when I venture out of the house. I'm impressed with your prowess in gift giving. Like decorating and sending Christmas cards, I do the minimum in that category, too. Dh and I buy for ourselves what we want and can afford so we don't exchange gifts any more. My only recipients are a few great nieces and nephews. Most of the time the gift is $$.

Last night was cheese and crackers. DH won't be having lunch out so he'll want dinner. Possibly leftover pasta will serve the purpose.

• wallycat

Leftover frozen 'za tonight.

Interesting, Carole, that your Hoka work well. I bought a pair and had to return them. They are so comfy…first time I wore them, my right foot developed extensor tendonitis and swelled. That finally resolved on its own, but I didn't want to try again.

• eric95us

Dinner last night was spaghetti with home made (by Sharon) sauce. It was very good and there are enough leftovers for another meal…which is also very good!

I've been working on my ham radio hobby. It's been a very long time since I had a place where reception was so good and I'm greatly enjoying it.

Our dog is now fully vaccinated per state law (rabies) and the vet's recommendations (lepto, bordetella). The vet said that Frankie (dog) is in excellent health and was quite pleased that he is still "taking us" on a 3 to 4 mile nightly walk.

• illimae

Dinner is leftover pizza I made for lunch. It’s another oven test and 1st time using 00 pizza flour and pizza stone. It turned out great and was structurally as I’d hoped, crispy edge and no floppy center.

• minustwo

Carole - ortho visit was for possible ruptured tendon in the right arm. I got some new exercises to try. Nothing to be done about foot problems since it's chemotherapy induced neuropathy. The neurologist can help if there is pain, but there's no treatment if there's just no feeling. So I have to continually look at my feet while I'm walking since I can't feel anything - think steps or cracks or bumps.

I too wear exclusively HOKAS. Wally - I had an issue with the "Rincon" style, but love the "Mach" style. Any luck for the DH with the dentist?

Mae - that pizza looks delicious. When do you head to Houston?

Eric - is your girl coming home for Christmas? Or are you going to make a trek to the midwest?

• eric95us

We went to Detroit this summer. DD is coming home for a few days for Christmas.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408

Sorry for being AWOL so long—too much to type here, so check it out on the "Older than 60" thread.

• wallycat

Drool on that pizza. We also had leftover 'za, but nothing like that!

Minus, nothing definitive for DH, yet. We are being referred to an oral clinic in Seattle at UW. We've been faxing and trying to contact them in forever…maybe this dentist has some pull.

I'm marinating chicken thighs to make asian bbq chicken thighs tomorrow. They will sit on a bed of sweet potato slices. I'll figure out a bok choy recipe to go with.

• carolehalston

The leftover pasta was good and also a not leftover salad.

I wear a certain model of Hoka but can't remember offhand. I buy them from a sports store that keeps my purchase info on file. The last pair weren't as roomy in the front portion and I had to switch to thin socks. But they're comfortable now after being "broken in." With every shoe purchase I get a free tee shirt. I have a whole wardrobe of different colors. When I spot a similar shirt at the gym, I know where that person buys his/her shoes. I checked prices on the internet and the sports store is competitive.

I'm thinking chili would be good tonight.

• illimae

Minus, we’re leaving tomorrow. I’ve got scans Sun & Mon, results on Tues.

Veggies for dinner

• chisandy

Hokas keep getting narrower in the forefoot with each new update of a given model (especially the Bondi series). My favorite (and first) was Conquest, which has long since been discontinued.

Takeout pizza last night after stressful day: found out my 19-yr-old cat Heidi is terminal, and I have to return to the hospital today for follow-up imaging after they found a “new calcification” in the “tumor bed” (cavity with seroma) where my lumpectomy was in 2015. New radiologist (the one who’s read all mine since 2018 is leaving that hospital system after a merger) likely didn’t adequately compare it to prior films: the mammogram Wednesday was completed at 4:05 (4pm for the breast in question) and the report was issued and signed at 4:16! They didn’t even ask me to stay, as they had in prior years. I got the report as soon as I got home from running errands afterwards. Here we go again….

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,896

Sandy - in your pocket - very much hoping that this is much ado about nothing. (Certainly been down that road.) You have a lot on your plate. So very sorry about Heidi. You have gone above and beyond to give her a good long life. Doesn't make it any easier I know. Hugs for you both.

I too suffer from peripheral neuropathy in my feet from diabetes. Tripping is always an issue. My recent start of gabapentin has at least stopped the burning sensation especially at night, but nothing helps the numbness. I have never heard of Hokas. I'm not sure I could stand a narrow footbed. I can't even stand socks and rarely wear them.

i think dinner might be baked spaghetti with garlic bread.

• eric95us

Wow…a lot going on at once, Sandy. I, too, hope the 0 turns into a 2, or better yet,a 1, on the scale.

It's always heartbreaking when loved one, and that includes pets as well. I'd worry if it weren't heartbreaking. Give Heidi some pets/scratches for me.

• chisandy

The 0 is now a 3 ("probably benign"), but I'll take it. The report mentions "stable rounded asymmetry at the lumpectomy bed, compatible with fat necrosis; within the region some small calcifications with coarsened morphology, also likely fat necrosis." So I'm back on the 6-month dx mammo plan for the R breast, but with spot compression. Lefty, being a 1, is on the routine-annual-screening schedule. No need for ultrasound.

The tech explained to me why they didn't have me stay yesterday for the results, as they don't do that for screening, only diagnostic, mammograms.

• chisandy

Heidi just came to me for a little fresh food (warmed-up), but first some lap-time, brushing, "making biscuits" and face-snuggling. Gordy said his goodbyes this afternoon; and while sad, is at peace with her and has closure. I will take every precious moment I can get with her as long as she's not suffering/in pain. We'll see what the vet says Monday. No sense treating the thyroid, since her ultimately-terminal diagnosis (likely sarcoma) and gallstones are unrelated to it. She can't tolerate the thyroid med, the Hills y/d kibble is too difficult to chew (even if moistened), and there isn't a can of y/d wet food to be found anywhere in the US or Canada.

Spending the evening home alone with Heidi—Bob insists on going to the Christ Hospital holiday dinner (a freebie sit-down) all the way out in OakBrook, but he won't get off work till 6 and it's a hellish hour-plus commute out there during rush hour. Stupid for us to take two cars, too (if I were to cab it down to the clinic and we drive together in his car, at least he could drink). I'm tired and not feeling too celebratory, though. And the last thing I want to do tonight is get all dressed up.

So dinner for me tonight is leftover pizza (actually, nature's perfect food—all major food groups except sugar). One small slice of the 10" Neapolitan "margherita" (adding a little more basil), and one of the 14" Chicago-style thin crust with sausage, peppers & anchovies that Bob likes. I insisted they cut it into wedges, instead of the South Side tavern "party-cut" squares—which make it hard to figure out the nutritional info, because all the charts are based on wedge-shaped slices of a given-size pie.

• carolehalston

I flunked chili for the 2nd time. The time before when I made it, I cooked a lb. of pinto beans for the beans component. They never quite got as tender as we like them. Yesterday I used canned pinto beans and they seemed to disintegrate and become sauce. The leftover chili will be ideal for chili mac.

Nance, Hokas don't have a narrow foot bed. My podiatrist recommended them 6 or 7 years ago because they have thick soles and a wide toe box. When they're new it's like walking on a cushion. They're definitely not fashionable footwear especially on my feet, size 10.

Tonight will be catfish fillets. Also, I've been wanting to make latkes.

• auntienance

Carole - I misspoke - I meant toe box not footbed. Good to know they're wider.

Last night DH wanted sloppy joes. My back hurt too much to make it from scratch (lots of ingredients and stuff to chop up) so I made it with a jarred brand I'd never seen before. It was good but like most ready made, too sweet. We ate it anyway with homemade (unsweetened) applesauce as a side. Tonight will be grilled chicken and some air fried rainbow baby carrots. Maybe some tiny potatoes too.

Back ablation next week. Hope it helps!

• wallycat
    edited December 2023

Lost power for about 2 hours. The winds are INSANE here today.

Leftover chicken thighs and sides from the other day.

Sandy, I'm glad your mamo turned out be a watch and wait. I'm deeply sorry for your Heidi. Having recently put down our cat with thyroid issues, I know what you are going through. It never seems the right time. When our guy got down to about 4-5 pounds and refused food, we took no more heroic measures and had him euthanized. I remind myself that we are all terminal, just a matter of when. Some days it helps more than others. Best to you and in Heidi's circle.

I think my Hoka were bondi but not positive. Toe bed may have been too wide. I have buinions and tailor bunions that usually cause me zero issues.

Illimae, thinking about you and hope all the news is good.

• carolehalston

My Hokas are Bondi. I intend to discuss the narrowing issue with my store owner when I go to buy new shoes.

I made the potato pancakes/latkes yesterday afternoon and heated them in the oven for a dinner side with pan fried catfish fillets, breaded with cornmeal Shorelunch breading. My first time to make latkes and it was quite easy with the aid of the grating function of the food processor. I think next time I will add finely chopped green onions. We didn't have apple sauce but did have sour cream. DH made tartar sauce for the fish.

This afternoon we're attending the Christmas concert at St. Timothy's Methodist Church, which has a wonderful choir which will be accompanied by orchestra musicians. Afterwards we have a reservation at Sal & Judy's restaurant, my favorite restaurant on the north shore. The problem is making a selection from the menu. I could close my eyes and place my finger on the menu and not go wrong.

We had two male cats years ago, brothers named Pat and Mike. They were huge cats and died within weeks of each other of different illnesses. We had them both euthanized. For various reasons we decided it was easier not to have pets. We have fond memories of Pat and Mike.

• eric95us

Sandy, I hope you are able to spend as much quality time with Heidi as possible.

I would love to get another cat, but Sharon's allergies preclude that.

• minustwo

Many of the Hoka styles do come in wide. I don't need wide, but need a high, hard-braced toe to protect my big toes. Nails lost during chemo 10 years ago and never really grew completely back. I find the Hoka stores very helpful - and at least here - they don't work on commission so there's no pressure.

Went to my 8 yr old grand-niece's piano recital this afternoon. Fun but WAY too long - 2-1/2 hours!!! Meeting my ex-DH and his wife at Perry's for a steak Christmas lunch Thursday. Mercury Baroque concert on Saturday. Taking my hair dresser to lunch on Sunday. She chose P.F. Changs. All the presents are mailed. It's an old habit since I've never lived in the same city with most of my family, let alone the same state. Finally finished wrapping everything last night for local gifts. Now to distribute.

• chisandy

I have Bondi 6 & 7, both wide width. Nevertheless, each successive update of that line gets pointier-toed. Socks make it even worse, scrunching my toes. Makes walking—and especially choreography (even rudimentary)—especially painful. Not neuropathy—it's that damn L 3d toe with a painful toe-tip callus over a bone spur, which my DPM refuses to surgically remove lest I develop a bone infection. I am going through so much lidocaine spray and generic topical Anbesol (benzocaine) gel & liquid. Didn't help that because I had to postpone my monthly pedi by over 2 weeks due to flu, not only were my big toenails badly ingrown but so were some of the smaller ones. Then there's the bunion, hammertoe (2d), and the tailor's bunion. The R foot is perfectly normal. Looking at them side by side, hard to believe they belong to the same person. Anyway, the only shoes that don't hurt are OOFOs sandals, UGGs and a profoundly ugly pair of white leather NB sneakers—not the cute fashionable silhouette but a big round forefoot that looks like clown shoes.

Heidi is dying. She has an appetite again, but can't open her mouth wide enough to even lick soft food or lap up water, which I have to give her by forcing a syringe into her mouth and squirting 3ml every couple of hrs. or so. (She spat out the Zofran and the Gabapentin). She has a vet appt. in the morning (assuming she makes it through the night); unless sub-cu hydration and steroid & pain shots can work a minor miracle for long enough for us to arrange in-home euthanasia, that will likely be for saying goodbye—holding and petting her all the way to the Rainbow Bridge.

Went out to dinner at Regalia with Gordy & Leslie last night. Owner gave us complementary wagyu bruschetta. We split salads. The kids had pasta, while Bob & I each had a veal chop (his was marsala with roast potatoes, mine green peppercorn-brandy sauce with spinach). Tonight? He's working late so reheated pizza again. Haven't made latkes yet—the mix I have on hand is (yuck) sweetened. Was going to pick some up at Trader Joe's after rehearsal, but I wanted to beat the Bears game traffic home and get back to Heidi. I want every possible moment with her that she demands.

The kids did say that if we do (after a decent grieving period) adopt another cat or two, they would be glad to take them should we get too elderly & frail to care for them. Leslie had cats growing up, and their dog is pretty chill. That's a relief, as all our other friends are our age or older (one, who's 80. just lost his 20-yr-old cat, and the other couple recently lost a 12-yr-old to cancer and their other now-12-yr-old can no longer climb into the litterbox due to arthritis and is leaving "presents" all over their condo).

• chisandy

Heidi is at the Bridge now—her longtime regular vet had just finished surgery and was able to administer the euthanasia. The exam room was set up with a towel over the steel table, on top of which was a soft pink cat bed and blanket. She went peacefully, with Gordy & I petting and kissing her.

Stopped by the kosher-style deli after dropping Gordy off and picked up a couple of potato latkes. Will eat them tonight after rehearsal, along with my leftover veal & spinach.

• auntienance

I'm so sorry Sandy hugs to you 💔