Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

So...whats for dinner?

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited January 5

Special, the trend in restaurants today seems to be puff pastry rather than crust atop a pot pie. I suspect that frozen ready-made phyllo dough/puff pastry sheets save a lot of time compared to rolling out piecrust dough—especially if there's no pastry chef or baker in the kitchen. (Same thing with all the brownie/cookie sundaes, sorbets and gelato/ice cream desserts—even lava cakes which are available frozen).

I hear you about eating the See's stash like it's your "job." I feel the same way about Garrett's caramel corn. (Garrett's is nationally renowned for popcorn, especially the cheese & caramel kinds—their best seller is "Chicago-mix" of both). We have a branch kitty-corner from the Bar Assn., where we've been rehearsing. I have been compulsively starch/sugar comfort-eating late at night, especially during Heidi's final weeks and since she died (a month ago this coming Tues.). I'd buy the smallest size bag they sell and tell myself I'd nibble on it occasionally as a treat. But I was killing off the bag over the course of a weekend and could eventually finish it in one sitting. A saving grace for my diet is that it closes at 8pm, so if I'm running late for a 6pm rehearsal which ends at 9, that helps me inadvertently exercise some discipline. But last night around 7-ish a castmate asked me to watch her stuff while she dashed across the street to Garrett's before it closes. Fortunately, I didn't have enough cash on me to ask her to buy me a small bag while there.

Last night, 1/3 can of corned beef hash pan-fried with the cut-up peppers, onion & mushrooms from yesterday's lunch panino. Today, I nuked a Jimmy Dean's "Egg-wich" (2 mini-omelets instead of a bread or biscuit bun) for my brunch; tonight when I get home, likely my leftover osso bucco & risotto supplemented by a spear of broccolini or a handful of snow peas.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305

Special - I wrote my Christmas Card on Christmas Day this year. And just personal notes with no letter for the first time in years.

Clars & Special - Funny - I too have a set of 6 of those blue bowls that were my Mothers. And yes I'd like the recipe too.

Dinner was two Hawaiian Sliders with turkey & Havarti.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 1,300

Clars, Your supper reminded me of how much I miss butter beans. Lima beans are supposed to be the US equivalent but they are not as mild and smooth.

Special, Butterbean is a great name for a horse although it would probably get shortened to BB in my house.

Tonight's meal was shepherd's pie made with ground lamb, leeks, parsnips and tomato paste. My recipe adds an egg yolk to the mashed potato topping which helps it brown up nicely.

• shrinkrap59
    shrinkrap59 Member Posts: 41
    edited January 6

@specialk "waiting until I have them all and then doing a wrapping marathon", I hate that! I get cranky too,, although my family would probably use a stronger word. Good resolution.

I made a bean and shrimp stew from a NYT recipe. I made it with pigeon peas, and it was supper than I liked, but very tasty. I also made some sashimi with a new knife I got for Christmas, and popped a few oysters, which I probably shouldn't be doing so soon after surgery.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 8,133

I stopped sending Christmas cards and—guess what? I receive very few now. Maybe other people also stopped sending cards or they send cards to the people who send them cards. I always hate throwing the cards away eventually but what can you do with them? I remember visiting an elderly woman when I was a child. Missus Welch. I thought she was ancient and her big old-fashioned house was like a museum to me. She gave me a stack of cards and scissors and I entertained myself.

Now I use Facebook and e-mailing and texting as a substitute for sending cards.

Such interesting meals to read about.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,401

We had leftover frittata last night. Tonight will be leftover Mexican that we had for lunch out, when we went to Sequim yesterday. Tomorrow, I'll make something Indian…DHs favorite ethnic choice…no idea what yet but I have a lot of cauliflower.

• maggie15

Wallycat, when I have to use up cauliflower I make Aloo Gobi. DH is from Ireland and thinks a meal isn’t dinner unless it contains potatoes, the other major ingredient.

Tonight I made chicken scarpariello.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,708

Tonight is tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich (cheddar and provolone on sourdough). Pretty much the perfect meal since is freezing cold and I’ve just had a tooth extracted.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Made a nice Fiesta chicken 🐔 in the crockpot tonight, served over tortilla chips. Good for a chilly, breezy day. Well, chilly by NC standards.

I still send cards and do enjoy reading those we receive. Each year is a decision as to what to do as it is a bit of work and expense done the snail mail way.

• wallycat

I'm thinking Gobi Taktakin. We just had a frittata with potatoes (spanish style).

Illimae, I'm sorry about your tooth extraction. Hope it all went OK.

• carolehalston

I took notes from today's posts for foods to google. Except for Mae's. LOL. I'm familiar with grilled cheese and tomato soup.

The turducken gumbo turned out good but we especially enjoyed the mashed potato salad. I dished my helpings in one broad bowl. Gumbo over brown rice and a dollop of potato salad.

DH is making lamb stew today with the rest of the lamb roast from the freezer. I know he plans to use turnips as one of the veggies.

• carolehalston

The chicken scarpariello is a dish I should make. I will probably print out the Serious Eats version. Maggie, do you have a link to your recipe?

I gained 5 lbs reading the Fiesta Chicken recipes. LOL. At Thanksgiving we had a delicious chicken dish our host family called Crack Chicken that is made with cream cheese and ranch dressing powder. The chicken was boneless breasts and the cooking method was a large crock pot.

What's for Dinner? was very educational this morning!

• maggie15
    edited January 7

Carole, I don't have a link to the chicken scarpariello recipe but here is mine for 2 servings and leftover lunch. DH was a population geneticist in the animal breeding industry and we pretty much lived off meat from slaughter analysis. I use boneless chicken breast (the focus of breeding) but boneless thighs are more usual.

3/4 lb boneless chicken breast cut in chunks / 4 oz sweet italian sausage without casing / small onion chopped / 1/2 red bell pepper chopped / 3 cloves garlic minced / 1/2 cup brined pepperoncini or banana peppers chopped / 1/2 cup chicken broth / 1/2 cup white wine / 1/8 cup vinegar / rosemary, salt, pepper / olive oil

1. Brown the chicken in olive oil in a skillet and remove.
    2. Brown sausage in skillet. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic until soft.
    3. Return chicken to skillet.
    4. Add broth, wine, vinegar and pepperoncini. Season to taste.
    5. Cook covered on low heat until done (30 - 40 min)

Wallycat, Gobi Taktakin is delicious but I always have to add some kind of potato to the meal (even though I don't eat it.)

• carolehalston

Thanks, Maggie. Aloo Gobi was a NYT recipe today! Coincidence.

• chisandy

Shrinkrap, looks & sounds yummy (heard of pigeon peas but never saw them "in the flesh"). Sweet knife! I hear you on the shucking—that is a full upper-body workout.

Illi, hoping you heal quickly from your tooth extraction (but not so fast that you get a dry socket).

Sorry for not checking in here earlier or more often. I'm under tons of stress right now—not anywhere near what you Stage IV sisters are enduring but considerable pressure for a (spoiled) lifelong wuss like me. I won't elaborate here—that's what the "Older Women" thread is for—but dealing with a suddenly-dying dear friend (and I'm her medical POA) 25 miles away (been texting & talking to her medical team and BFF down there every possible moment I'm free), Bar Show rehearsals every day & evening (show is on Fri. & Sat.), massive snowstorm on its way arriving Tues. and lasting through next weekend, and a (non-respiratory) bacterial infection of my own for which I have no time to seek treatment—what with the responsibilities I have facing me.

Breakfast yesterday was half a Quest protein bar. Lunch was half the ham & Swiss sandwich I brought with me—they had bagels & cream cheese at rehearsal, so I opted for one. Dinner last night was seared sable (black cod). Took forever to get the pin-bones out without massacring the fish. Steamed asparagus with lemon & EVOO, and a tomato/basil/mesclun salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Today "breakfast" during rehearsal was a few bits of trail mix; when I got home, I made a panino of veggies, coppa ham, tomato, basil and provolone. Not sure what I'll do tonight, as it was 4pm when I ate. I know Bob will likely get his own dinner—he's my friend's cardiologist and is down at the hospital all day.

Will post more when I can come up for air.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,305
    edited January 8

Special & Shrinkrap - If I wrapped as I purchased, I would have absolutely no idea what was in the packages by the time Christmas came. But I do wrap in two or three sessions - one for gifts that have to be mailed & one for people I will see, and one for extras. I just spread everything out on the floor of the guest room & leave it all out until I'm done.

Drove north yesterday to have Christmas lunch with BFF yesterday. Went to a new seafood place North of the Woodlands. We split a delicious appetizer "dip" with shrimp & lobster & cream cheese & butter. Excellent. Then split an entree of Redfish Alexander w/dirty rice & Brussels Sprouts. Even splitting both I was almost too full to make the hour drive back home.

Today I met my niece & family to the West of town. They were on the way back to San Antonio from a whirlwind 24 hour visit. We ate at Cafe Caspian - a delicious Persian restaurant that I hadn't been to in many years. I had ZERESHK POLOW - rice with barberries, onion & saffron and KUKU SABZI - a Persian herb based frittata. Fun to see my grand nephews but three boys under age 9?? Oh the energy!!

Mae - forgot to say - sorry about your tooth. I agree with Carole about the tomato soup.

• maggie15

Carole, What a coincidence!

Tonight was hot chicken salad with hot German potato salad for DH. It was snowing all day so I made orange cranberry bread. I can't have any (steroids limit my carbs) but it warmed up the kitchen and made the house smell good.

Sandy, I don't know how you find the time to eat never mind cook.

Illimae, I hope your tooth socket is healing well. I just finished two months of dental work (two fillings, two crowns, a root canal and a bridge.) It's nice to be done with salt water rinses and able to chew again.

• illimae

Thanks everyone, I think the tooth hole is healing well and fortunately it’s not visible when smiling or speaking. Still favoring soft foods for now, dinner was a bean and cheese burrito.

• carolehalston

DH's lamb stew was/is wonderful and a "looker" in the le Creuset Dutch oven. So it turns out his buying the boneless lamb roast was genius. Lamb is not popular in the south and not even sold in some supermarkets. So a boneless roast is a source of stew meat for curry and stew. I'll have to caution him not to buy another roast any time soon since both our refrigerator freezers are full.

I ate very little since I had some nausea yesterday, probably from an overload of caffeine.

Dinner tonight will be leftover food of choice.

The weather forecast is dire with warnings about possible strong winds and storms and possibility of tornados. Minus, you probably have the same forecast west of us.

Maggie, I have a good recipe for warm German potato salad but have not eaten a warm chicken salad. I probably would like it. I introduced the German potato salad (old Better Homes & Garden cookbook) to my family 30 years ago and brought it to family dinners on request. My mother's mashed potato salad is warm or room temperature.

Our diet when I was growing up had more rice than potatoes since so many dishes my mother cooked had gravy and she was feeding a large family. But I do like potatoes. My mother called them "Irish" potatoes as opposed to sweet potatoes.

• chisandy

Simple—I eat when and usually what I shouldn't. Speaking of not enough time, I am constantly interrupted with texts & phone calls, and I always get the suspicion I'm forgetting something.

Bob brought home wings (on the small side, no sauce) last night—about 10:30 pm, so I cut up some carrots & snow peas (they didn't provide celery and prepping it would have been too much work). So I had that; and about 1c. of the remaining caramel corn around 12:30 am. Will try to eat something (probably an egg) before showering, packing my costumes, and heading down to the hospital this afternoon….hoping I don't hit traffic on the way back to the Loop.

• chisandy

Illi, I found that when I was recovering from extractions that scrambled eggs, refried beans, and an ice cream shake with protein powder tided me over. As for soups, bisques are great.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

A week after having a tooth pulled, I thought I was recovered enough, and careful enough, to eat corn chips.

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

Eric

• illimae

Eric, I don’t dare eat anything crunchy yet and I’m not chewing on that side either, not until it looks fully healed.

DH made creamy leek and potato soup, I’m enjoying it in a coffee cup in bed because we don’t have a heater downstairs yet.

It snowed again this morning and was 18 degrees with a wind chill of 6 degrees, arggg and brrr.

• maggie15

Leek and potato soup is a great cold weather dinner irrespective of one’s dental situation.

The Spanish brought potatoes from South America to Europe but the Irish were the first to eat them rather than use them for animal feed. While they were introduced to the US earlier, Irish settlers in Londonderry NH were the first to grow commercial crops leading to the moniker “Irish.” DH likes sweet potatoes but thinks white potatoes should also be served.

Dinner tonight was mayo baked chicken breast, acorn squash and sautéed petite potatoes (no surprise here!)

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 941

Interesting facts about the potato! I do enjoy all varieties and preparations.

Tonight I made another crockpot winner. Italian sausage penne in a very good tomato sauce. You add the pasta at the end. I used GF since we invited our SIL over who needs that. The pasta broke up a bit more and I don't think I overcooked it. But all in all tasty.

The goods news is since I cooked more this week we have leftovers to have for the 2 days we are eating in.

Carole I like lamb curry but when I mention I may make it my DH tends to vote it down with his expression 🤣

Sandy good luck with your show. I would love to see clips too.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,133

I was fine, until I bit down, and a chip had turned edgewise into the tender spot…..made my eyes water.

It snowed yesterday and last night. We ended up going into town, and the roads were SLIMY. I don't think the high temp today got above freezing and tonight's temp is going to be around 16F/-9C….and the "brrrrreze" made it feel much colder.

• carolehalston

As is often the case, our leftover gumbo tasted even better last night. There is still enough for some lunches. Tonight will be leftover lamb stew.

Interesting history on the "Irish" potato.

Mayo chicken caught my attention since mayo is one of my favorite foods. I am loving the Duke's mayo which has a lemony taste.

• wallycat
    edited January 9

I'm making cabbage udon noodles with shiitake and an egg.

The winds are HOWLING out here. Lost power last night for about 2-1/2 hours; grateful was asleep and didn't care. Still howling. The temps have come up which is why the winds have picked up.

My lovely joy of 2.2" of snow has now been demoted to maybe an inch. 😪 At least it will be cold for 2 days…20s. I'm excited. Just an hour away, Port Angeles may see 4.4"…waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

Our California Quail keep showing up, which is wonderful to see…..

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258

chisandy - totally makes sense about using the puff pastry. We didn't have dessert so it was hard to determine if their desserts come from elsewhere as well. I am indeed familiar with Garrett's popcorn - there is an outpost in the Pentagon City Mall. We stopped in there after a flight into Reagan (which I still call National) to pick up a tin of popcorn for DS as he still lived in VA at the time. It features the company name, which is also our son's name! Sheesh - when it rains, it pours! Hope you can stay afloat and take care of yourself too. Hang in there!

minus - still haven't done the card because I am busy undecorating and packing. I may work on it tomorrow when I am sitting at the car dealership getting an oil change. I decided to try to go through all my holiday bins in the garage and donate anything I haven't used in the last few years, so that has slowed down the packing up of this year's decor and the card situation.

maggie - this horse has had so many names! Butterbean was his latest - as he had changed hands a number of times, but DD has inherited my curious nature and research bug, so she started looking in earnest. This horse is a large quarterhorse with a brand from a well known TX ranch. She knows his age and was able to trace back and it turns out he is a famously bred, and papered, horse. She is in the process of obtaining his papers from a vet that owned him previously at the TX ranch. Also, because some of the other owners didn't do the research so she got the horse for a steal… she also inherited my bargain shopping trait…

carole - I still get quite a few cards . I think that is partly because of being a military family and havbing many other military families as lifelong friends, it is a pretty strong card sending tradition - and for some of these folks, it is the only communication of the year. We have the weather you prob just had - tornado warnings today. The panhandle got hit and some of the local areas here had "take cover" instructions. In effect until 9pm.

illimae - hope the extraction is not too painful going forward - I vote for your dinner choice any day of the week!

minus - I started wrapping in specific paper for each recipient, that helps, and I also keep a running list of what I purchased for each person on my phone. Without those measures I would be exactly as you say - totally confused!

shrinkwrap - the strong words were coming from my mouth as I carried the gifts out to the tree, haha!

• maggie15

Carole, I love the taste of Duke's mayo but haven't had it since we moved north. I could order it online but am fine with an avocado blend I get here. When I lived in Ireland and Scotland I couldn't find mayo. Salad cream was the closest thing but a poor substitute. I occasionally made some using Julia Child's recipe.

Special, good for your daughter! Name changes are frequent in the horse world. DH's last horse was an elegant 16.3 Dutch warmblood bred in the Netherlands named Porky on his passport. I'm pretty sure it was a reference to Porky Pig since he loved his food, but his name had been changed to Patrick's Light which sure sounds better. He was a bargain since the woman who owned him couldn't manage him.

Right now it's snowing and windy but it's supposed to change to sleet and then rain. We'll probably finish with a slippery mess.

Tonight's dinner was artichoke chicken casserole.