Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,067
    Options

I'm glad the kitties are okay….. Duffy, MIL's kitty that is now with DD, will jump up and try to grab/eat plastic grocery bags as she is bringing in groceries.

Sharon has been making our spaghetti sauce with ground chicken, tomato sauce, a lot of spices, vegetables and mushrooms. It is quite good.

Somewhere I saw a picture of a car loaded down like the truck in the Beverly Hillbillies TV show and has the caption, "Went to Costco for a rotisserie chicken."

Those piglets are cute. A couple of houses down…about 1/2 mile…..they have a pig that sometimes gets out. He not quite as cute, but does seem to be fairly friendly, which is good as he is 500+ pounds.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Minus, you are freezer-organized to the nth degree. Do you have an upright freezer with shelves?

Sam's Club has Rao's in two packs for a lower price than the supermarkets. Walmart's price is lower, too. We're so old now and have no children so we don't worry about the cost of groceries. DH doesn't even look at price. When he takes a list to the supermarket, he buys what is on the list. My "problem" is shopping outside the list.

The veggie and pasta dinner last night was quite delicious and we used up the remainder of the alfredo sauce. I grated a small mountain of asiago cheese.

Tonight we'll have the leftover eggplant lasagna. More grated cheese. LOL.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Carole - yes I have a very small upright freezer in the garage. Although it may be counter-intuitive for liquids, I've found that square & rectangle shaped containers that are not too deep are best for the freezer since they stack well. Also I can pop out the frozen stuff and combine in zip lock bags. Round containers are not friendly for space constraints.

Hooray - my nephew says his 8 year old daughter likes all the ingredients for hamhock & beans. So when I go to baby-sit her next week - I know what I'll take for dinner. I'd rather plan something she can learn to cook, but it's a school night and in addition to homework, she has piano lessons after school. Instead I'll take the fixings for her to make appetizers & dessert.

• eric95us
    Options

Sharon and the next door neighbor (1/2 mile away) go for a 3 mile walk on Tuesdays. Today they came back from the walk with seven "probably 4 month old puppies" and "momma dog" tagging along behind them on a great big adventure.

They belonged to a different neighbor…we called and they came and retrieved them. We all had a good laugh.

I'm sure the puppies are tired and…tired puppies are good puppies. :-)

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Tonight is seasoned and baked chicken drumsticks, which taste great and “crack” potatoes (basically a loaded baked potato casserole), good but not addictive as the name would imply and corn.

Tomorrow will be pot roast

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,067
    Options

Hahaha, nice, @illimae. I do love the version without bacon but adding bacon to it and ranch per the recipe I just looked up sounds pretty fantastic. 😂

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 931
    Options

Minus, Your freezer sounds well organized unlike mine at the base of my fridge. It's great that your nephew's daughter will help you eat the ham.

Carole, Any recipe that uses asiago cheese is worth making.

Eric, I'm glad I live far away from any of the large wholesale stores since I would probably buy more than I really need. It's a good thing that the seven pups and momma dog belonged to a neighbor and weren't looking for a home with you.

Illimae, The name of that potato casserole would certainly inspire me to try it.

Dinner tonight was corned beef and cabbage made from post March 17 sale meat. It was a nice lean piece.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,319
    Options

Made matzo brei this morning with Yehuda whole wheat matzo (I miss the bran version), an egg and a couple of Tbs. of vanilla FairLife CorePower 42gm protein shake instead of milk. Tiny bit each of vanilla, fiori di Sicilia, and cinnamon (forgot the nutmeg),

Heirloom tomato & basil salad, grilled asparagus, last night's leftover shellfish, and pan-seared (skillet on the grill) Arctic char.

• eric95us
    Options

Last night we had spaghetti.

Tonight we are going to the 4S Barn in Shumway, AZ. It's a de facto community center and de jure brewery that hosts a (music) jam. There are probably 8-10 folks show up, including Sharon.

The place is 90% community center and 10% beer brewing so it's a nice quiet place and the folks there very much enjoy the informal music.

• illimae
    Options

Mmmm… Pot Roast

• maggie15
    Options

Eric, The 45 Barn sounds like a great venue. When I lived in Ireland we used to go to a pub out in the middle of nowhere called Cannings where traditional music players would show up and jam. I loved that the national anthem was played at midnight when the pub supposedly closed. Afterwards things kept going much as before but you had to buy drinks outside through a window.

Illimae, Your pot roast looks delicious.

Dinner tonight was corned beef hash and sautéed cabbage.

• minustwo
    Options

A neighbor organized a lunch for three of us at a Chinese Sea/Hibachi buffet, etc. I'm not usually one for buffets, but the company was fun. About 75% of the food was OK. Probably 10% was really good (honey chicken, baked crab, spring rolls, spicy mushrooms, banana pudding). One delicious salad of honeydew & cantaloupe cut in tiny bites with raisins and a lovely creamy sauce, and another salad of marinated cucumbers. I like sushi but wasn't willing to choose that at an 'all you can eat place. Well over 80 selections so of course we all ate too much just trying to have a bite or two to taste most of the items available. And we never even got around to the custom cooked hibachi bowl, which was included in the price.

Mae - looks wonderful as usual.

Eric - your excursion sounds like great fun.

Maggie - always nice to see your posts.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 858
    Options

Baked ham and beans and a side salad using various lettuces from our garden was dinner tonight. Tasty but for some reason we both got to nibbling a bit after dinner.

I thought we were full??

We just found our first solid, authentic Chinese restaurant recently so that may be in the plans later in the week or weekend.

I am going to 2 Design lectures by some accomished women designers, and an accompanying luncheon, at our small, local museum. I love to get immersed in local activities. And I love learning new things. It should be fun.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

Last night, scrambled eggs, baked beans and broccoli.

Leftover beans and broccoli but not sure what the protein will be tonight; maybe cod.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, 80 selections is mindboggling. I would be paralyzed with indecision or eat way too much.

Reader, A good authentic Chinese restaurant is hard to find outside of NYC and the west coast. I used to drive almost two hours to one which has now closed.

Dinner tonight was chicken/asparagus lasagna.

• minustwo
    Options

I'm fortunate that my nephew's wife is Chinese. They've taken me to several authentic Chinese restaurants. When her parents are in town, we always get a huge table with a rotating Lazy Susan. They order in Chinese and talk about the ingredients in Chinese - Greek to me.

We lost power this morning with a horrendous thunder storm. The rain was so hard it was like a fire hose. Since power was not restored until 8:15pm, dinner was french toast & scrambled eggs. I'm fortunate to have a gas stove so I can light the burners with my BBQ wand,.

• chisandy
    Options

We have great authentic Chinese restaurants—various regions—right here in Chicago. But most people rarely venture out of their neighborhoods and so frequent the generic strip-mall takeout and order-out places. Heck, we even have two Chinatowns (the one here on the North Side has been renamed "Asia on Argyle" because it's the center of the city's Vietnamese community; most of its Chinese restaurants are Cantonese, including a Hong Kong/Guangzhou-style dim sum parlor).

Didn't eat dinner till very late. Bob came home and informed me that the garage door wouldn't close—it'd get w/in 6" of the ground and then reverse. Couple of days ago, I hit the opener button on the wall and didn't realize the door had stopped 2/3 of the way down before I backed out—and I hit it, slightly warping the bottom panel. But for two days It opened and closed just fine. So I called an emergency garage door repair place, and it took 4 hrs before the tech could get here, in a torrential storm. Turned out to be a worn-out roller that had wobbled its way out of its harness, causing both the partial opening that led to my backing into the door and then out of the track, which was why it refused to close. All is well now, but between that and the cats freaking out from all the lightning and hail, my appetite was gone and my tummy was rumbling. Bob had made himself a ham & cheese sandwich, and I had a late-night Lean Cuisine and protein bar for dinner & dessert. Back to normal tomorrow.

• carolehalston
    Options

I had lunch at a nearby restaurant with two women friends yesterday. A pricey special was soft-shell crab, which is in season now. I splurged and ordered one. It was deep-fried and topped with a cream sauce with crab meat and shrimp. It was food heaven. I took part of it home and all of the green beans served in a separate dish.

I was thawing catfish fillets for dinner. I cooked them according to dh's liking. Cut into pieces and breaded and fried brown and crisp in a small amount of grapeseed oil. I never deep fry. I ate a few pieces but was not hungry after a big lunch. His side was the green beans with small potatoes.

Tonight we're going to the home of friends for shrimp poboys from Pontchartrain Poboys. I am bringing dessert which will be something full of calories from Rouses supermarket bakery department.

Soon we will be leaving the land of fresh shrimp and soft shell crabs.

• chisandy
    edited May 3
    Options

Carole, I adore soft-shell crab! I can still taste my first ever deep-fried soft-shell sandwich on French bread—my dad introduced me to it at a waterside seafood stand along Sheepshead Bay when I couldn't have been more than 8 yrs old (where he also taught me how to eat raw cherrystones & oysters, much to my mom's chagrin). The best I ever had was at Faidley's in Baltimore's (duh) Inner Harbor. Deep-fried of course tastes best, but I keep an eagle eye out for when Whole Foods gets them during a very short season (shorter than for Copper River salmon). They do grill up or pan-sauté nicely, even without a dusting of flour. (And the chitin does, uh, "get things moving").

I'm not a big fan of shrimp po-boys, but oyster? Lemme at 'em! (Have to settle for raw, steamed or "Hangtown Fry:" shucked and pan-roasted with peppers & scrambled egg. I'm not gonna take a chance on what effect deep-fried stuff will have on my newly sensitive gut).

Tonight will be reheated Maple Farms duck half, with heirloom insalata Caprese on shredded romaine, sauteed mixed "wild" mushrooms, and either baked garnet yam or brown basmati rice. If my biceps & triceps are up to it, might shuck some WF's "Fishmonger Friday" 12-for $12 oysters. For brunch this morning, a "Legendary" sugar-free high-protein (20 gm) faux Pop-Tart.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight is creamy spinach Turkey meatballs over zucchini spaghetti. It turned out really well and is a tasty low/no carb win for DH.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, I prefer cooking on gas burners and also like the side benefit of being able to use them if the power is out.

Carole, That crab sounds wonderful and makes me homesick for the Eastern Shore. I don't blame you for filling up on fresh seafood before you head north.

Sandy, The thought of how good those oysters will taste should give you the strength to shuck them.

Illimae, I feel so much better when I eat low carb but my endocrinologist only lets me do it for six weeks three times a year. I’ll have to try those turkey meatballs. Do you use egg as a binder?

Dinner tonight was leftover lasagna.

• minustwo
    Options

Never got around to eating today - except for 2 pieces of lemon bundt cake. Probably won't bother now since it's after 9pm. I find I'm just rarely hungry. I did have 2 vodkas with V-8 so at least I got my vegetables.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,276
    Options

LOL, minus, I love how you think! We had the leftover cod tonight. I'm thawing goat chops for tomorrow.

I love our induction cooktop except during power outages. I went kicking and screaming when I had to give up gas, but now, I don't know if I'd go back.

Everyone's meals sound so wonderful.

• carolehalston
    Options

I'm considering buying an induction single burner to use outside on the deck this summer. If the weather pattern continues, we will have some hot days when keeping the cooking heat outside is a good idea. When we first began summering in MN back in 2014 the summers were cooler with little need for a/c. Last summer we used the a/c for days at a time when the southern breezes brought the heat north.

I may try a simple Indian dish tonight with potatoes and cauliflower. I have a cabinet stocked with spices, so far unused. I also need to use two bags of spinach.

Minus, I could not go all day without eating. I would pass out. You must have an excellent A1c.

• illimae
    Options

Maggie, no egg in the meatballs, just seasonings and a little cheese. Recipe below, if you want to try it sometime.

https://www.eatwell101.com/creamy-spinach-turkey-meatballs-recipe

• chisandy
    edited May 5
    Options

Bob came home very late last night (had to catch up on reading EKGs & echos at the hospital after his clinic shift), so I didn't make the duck last night. Went down to the basement freezer to get the wings (Tyson AnyTizer) and found to my dismay that Instacart had substituted breaded Buffalo bites—basically spicy chicken nuggets. No way am I eating breaded/battered deep-fried junk. So I pulled out the leftover teriyaki chicken thighs from the freezer and nuked them on "reheat," which virtually incinerated them. Ate them anyway—needed the protein. Had 2 fistfuls of sugar-snap peas. Followed up late night with a Premier Protein (30gm) Caramel shake and a bag of Quest "loaded taco" protein chips (19gm). Just about hit my protein goal but not calories.

Bob is home today to watch the Derby, and after sleeping in he was very hungry. So I made shakshuka (MIna sauce) with 4 eggs…and he wanted 3 of them, plus croutons to sop up the sauce. My share, while only 8 gm protein, was extremely filling; when my tummy settles down I will sip a Fairlife Core Protein chocolate shake (26gm). Will do the duck tonight, becaues while it's nice out now it's gonna storm again tonight.

Would love to use an induction cooktop (I have one in the basement) outdoors, but don't have an outlet on the outside of the house.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, Love how you calculate the food groups.

Wally, I was pleasantly surprised by how well induction cooktops work when I used them in airbnbs.

Illimae, Thanks for the recipe link.

Dinner tonight was steak (angus strip from Aldi's - very good), onion rings and sauteed yellow squash.

• chisandy
    Options

If our GE Cafe gas range (circa 2011) gives up the ghost while we're still living here, we'll get an induction one. Will help me give away all my non-compatible pots & pans. We're about ready, though, to replace our recirculating range hood—its filters drip grease and since they're charcoal, can't be washed. Replacements unavailable, as Broan stopped making that model hood.

• carolehalston
    Options

The Gobi Aloo didn't come out great. The potatoes were al dente and the cauliflower overdone. I did a
    saucy version instead of the dry. Boneless chicken thighs cooked in the oven were good with cranberry sauce with berries as a condiment.

Today I need to inventory the two freezers.

I'm in a cooking slump. Fantasizing about meal delivery. Some years ago we were friends with a Jewish couple who were older and well-to-do. Thelma was a good cook with a gorgeous kitchen in her home. One of my memories is a delicious "she crab" soup that she made. At some point Thelma decided she was tired of cooking and quit. They started eating out for dinner and had favorite mom and pop type restaurants that they frequented. Occasionally we accompanied them to one of their "regulars." The problem with following Thelma's example is that we don't like to go out for dinner and doing take out meals has never been very satisfactory. Enough grumbling for a Sunday morning. LOL.

• chisandy
    Options

Bob went out to Mas Alla del Sol for Cinco de Mayo brunch (I slept in and had to do cat care). He knew I need protein, so he brought me ceviche and a lamb shank.