Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,259
    Options

I want one of your DH's wooden bowls!!!!

We had the leftover hot dogs and beans last night. Heading to Sequim to pick up DHs rx readers at Costco this morning …stock up shopping and who knows what dinner will be.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited April 24
    Options

Illimae - I tried to edit my post from yesterday to include a piglet photo but for some reason I couldn’t do it. I deleted the photo i posted because it was giving me vertigo. I posted another one below that wasn't as bad - not sure why the photo is so tall? Also, side note - my phone autocorrects your member name to lime, lol!

maggie - after feeding just two piglets I can’t imagine feeding that many lambs! My aunt in London told me not long ago that one of my cousins has a sheep farm and they do lambing - I need to go to England at the time they do that, it would be quite an experience! I am very excited about my trips coming up, but there are a lot of details still to be ironed out. June will be here before I know it!

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,847
    Options

The piglets are cute!!

• specialk
    Options

Not sure why my photo is so weird looking?

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 116
    Options

@specialk, not so weird that we can't see the amazing cuteness of the piglets. They are so sweet.

• specialk
    edited April 24
    Options
  • specialk
    Options

mallee - thanks! They are super cute - I can't believe they both weighed less than 2 lbs when we got them! I tried another photo and it is not as bad!

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Soooo cute!!

Gyros and Greek salad tonight.

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 888
    Options

Illimae, Thanks for the recipe.

Sandy, We always stay in Trastevere near Piazza San Cosimato since that’s where DH (and I during school vacations) lived when he was on a common market advisory committee many years ago. The local gelato shop has changed hands a few times since then but now it’s owned by Fatamorgana and has 72 flavors at a time. My three favorite chocolates were Madagascar, rosemary and Venezuelan but stracciatella trumps them all IMO.

Special, The piglets are really cute! The farmer had 4,000 sheep so lambing time was always busy. The farmer’s wife would put any lambs not doing well because of the cold in the warming drawers of her Aga cooker to revive them.

Back in Boston so had clam chowder for dinner.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,282
    Options

The piglets, despite the bizarre aspect ratio, are indeed precious. (This site is weirdly picky about photo formatting: my iPhone saves photos in the HEIC format which isn't supported here—I have to AirDrop the photos to my MacBookPro and into the Photos app, then open & save as .jpeg. I always forget to compress the size, though. Special, could it be that compression of the photos' data size by your own phone or app squeezes the format vertically?

Last night's dinner was delicious, trad, and insanely huge portions. Starters were gefilte fish (incendiary horseradish), regular & vegetarian (walnut-based) chopped liver, matzo ball soup (the "kneidlach" were light and fluffy). We had to ask for matzo, as the waiter started to bring the standard bread board with a pretzel loaf. Entree was brisket with green beans, a potato latke and honey carrots. Dessert was flourless chocolate torte. I had mine packed before it arrived, and I took a tiny forkful of Bob's. It was like a postprandial truffle, or those "one-bite" desserts served at Seasons 52 or PF Chang's.

This morning, I made whole wheat matzo brei, with half the milk in the batter replaced by Orgain vanilla protein shake. Tonight? Last night's leftovers, supplemented by whitefish & salmon caviars on matzo. Still haven't killed off all the carrots & brisket. Think I'll make Bob a brisket sandwich with BBQ sauce (or—ugh—ketchup) to take to work tomorrow.

• carolehalston
    Options

Mmm, I love brisket. Aside from the green beans and carrots, the rest of your meal would have been unfamiliar, Sandy.

Maggie, I'm experiencing some sadness about your trip coming to an end. I so enjoyed your posts and imagining you in Italy. But clam chowder in Boston makes me envious.

Nance, are the gyros take-out?

I had fish tacos last night at Habanero's. The fish was red snapper and it was good. The refried beans were black beans and they were delicious. So was the guacamole salad. The margarita didn't measure up to George's Mexican restaurant but the menu was impressive. A level above the usual Tex-Mex eatery.

I am cooking pork roast in the slow cooker today to bring to the class reunion potluck tomorrow. It will not be "pulled pork" as in stringy strands of meat but more the sliced version. DH and I are not fans of "pulled" meat. I haven't decided whether the barbecue sauce will be on the meat or on the side. Someone is bringing buns. I expect they will be the bought buns in packs of eight.

• wallycat
    edited April 25
    Options

OMG on the piglets. Makes me not want to eat pork again….or lamb, but that won't happen. They couldn't BE any cuter!!!! I find animal babies so endearing, human, not so much. Speaking of not so much, I cut my own hair, super short…what was I thinking?!!

I'm making mac and cheese tonight.

We go back to sequim/costco in May, so DH can get a hearing test and try hearing aids (about time!!).

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, The trip to Rome was pretty laid back since DH now has balance issues. We visited four new to me places: the baths of Caracalla, the Tempio Maggiore (synagogue), the Greek ruins at Paestum and Amalfi by ferry. We returned to three of my favorite museums (which are not very popular or crowded) and my three favorite churches: the Pantheon, Santa Maria in Trastevere and Santa Cecilia with its crypt containing third century house ruins and an amazing chapel. We took a bus up the Janiculum hill for the views and a cab to the top of the Aventine hill since the wealthy residents have kept public transportation out of their neighborhood. It was great just to hang out in the good weather and have gelato for dessert every night. I also feel that I finished what I began six years ago even though that former itinerary would have involved much more travel around Italy.

Sandy, A bread board served at a seder dinner??!!

Wally, How did you convince your DH to try hearing aids? I could use some tips there.

Dinner tonight was delicious black angus strip steak (on sale at Aldi's), sauteed yellow squash and onion rings.

• wallycat
    Options

Maggie, Italy is on my bucket list….Loved reading about your trip. DH says probably no more overseas trips for us, which made me reflective and sad.

Hearing aids…OY, it has been a work in progress to convince him. I finally told him his remaining years should be vivid…like glasses, you don't realize how much you miss till you put them on. I told him to at least TRY them and he didn't have to commit to them. Never mind how many misunderstands that escalated, day after day, that his memory was getting worse or he seemed more disoriented because he couldn't follow a conversation…blah, blah. They are in denial till someone forces the issue. I let it go for nearly a decade but it just got progressively worse. Good luck. Costco offers free hearing test and maybe that is a place to start. When they realize how little they hear….it might be the wake up call. I know my hearing is not what it used to be and I'm happy to do what needs doing.

Leftover mac and cheese tonight.

• carolehalston
    Options

The potluck fare at my old classmates get together today was the usual stuff. My favorite food was the home-made sourdough rolls. My barbecue pork roast came out good. I ate some of it. Also a spaghetti and cheese casserole.

Dinner will be leftovers. We finally had the rice and sausage dish last night. I cooked brown rice in the little rice cooker, substituting salsa and water and chili powder for the plain water. I sauteed the sliced andouille sausage, added the cooked rice to the skillet and heated together for a few minutes.

We also have some leftover barbecue pork.

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, Thank you for the suggestions. DH resisted cataract surgery for a couple of years and is now miffed that his first eye surgery scheduled for Tuesday was cancelled because the doctor had to retire suddenly due to health problems. A colleague is trying to fit him in but it will be at least another month. I guess it’s a matter of finally realizing how things have deteriorated. This trip was the international travel swan song. I’m glad DH got to see his sister because it is unlikely to happen again. I guess we’ll have to be content with Italian food and, in your case, wine.

Carole, I’m with you on the pulled meat. The stringy texture seems to detract from the taste. Substituting flavorful liquids for the rice cooking water is a great idea.

Dinner tonight was chicken meatloaf with spinach and mashed potatoes.

• chisandy
    Options

Carole, I'm sure you've had potato pancakes, which is what latkes are. And chopped liver is simply liver pate. (The "vegetarian" kind is not traditional). Matzo balls are fluffy round dumplings made from matzo meal (finely ground matzo), egg, onion & oil, simmered in chicken broth till they float.

Maggie, the Tempio Maggiore was fascinating, I bought a faux-Pandora bracelet in its gift shop, with various Judaica charms (I added some of my own) and Murano glass beads. I clipped my heart-shaped Medic-Alert pendant to it. The self-guided exhibits were terrific, as was the introductory lecture by the docent/temple board member. She explained it's been operating continuously for 1000 years, and the Roman Jewish community is neither Ashkenazi nor Sephardi. (She anticipated the $64,000 question: "Yes, we eat rice on Passover"). The Jewish Quarter has a few great restaurants (the twice-deep-fried artichokes are amazing), bakeries and butcher shops—but it's becoming extremely trendy and rents are expensive

I haven't been able to eat much, worrying about my kitties. BangBang may have eaten something she shouldn't have (I don't leave strings or ribbons out but she has a jones for chewing cellophane, which can solidify in the digestive tract) and after vomiting (or at least regurgitating her kibble) multiple times today ran and hid in any one of 100 nooks in this house. She emerged a couple of times but evaded my attempts to get her into her carrier to take to the veterinary ER. Not even a visit from her foster mom could lure her out. She isn't eating or drinking anything; Roxy is also depressed and off her feed, worrying about her big sister. I hope I can get some sleep tonight. We have so many storms coming through the next few days too—I have to be prepared to pounce and crate BangBang, then put on closed shoes so I can go out in the rain to take her for tests & treatment.

I am not ready to face another round of kitty "winding down" so soon after losing Happy & Heidi within the year—that's why I opted not to adopt a 12-yr-old cat. We know these girls are on the cusp of 8 yrs old, because the vet records & microchip company have their birth dates. IMHO, too young for this—but Mishmosh died suddenly of cardiomyopathy at the same age.

• carolehalston
    Options

Sandy, I have eaten latkes on one occasion when I cooked them. They're delicious and I should make them again.

We didn't eat any dinner last night so the same leftovers are in the refrigerator.

Also in the refrigerator are four beautiful small eggplants I found at Rouses. So my favorite eggplant dish, eggplant lasagne, is in our dinner future.

• wallycat
    Options

Sandy, holding you and the kitties in my heart and thoughts. Do update us.

I made country style ribs with Japanese bbq sauce, black rice and leftover roasted cauliflower. Leftovers tomorrow.

• maggie15
    Options

Sandy, I love the dome of the Tempio Maggiore, square with the rainbow colors of the promise to Noah, but had only glimpsed it from the street when the doors were open in the summer. It was great to be able to see it properly. I got my fried artichoke fix as well. I hope BangBang is okay.

Carole, Small eggplants are a great find since they don't have the bitter aftertaste.

Dinner tonight was chicken and asparagus in a wine/cream sauce.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,094
    Options

Well today presented difficult choices. Since I had a banana that was rapidly becoming too soft, I had Rice Krispies with banana slices and an English Muffin.

Another choice was an omelette with leftover sauteed asparagus.

I have the ham sitting in the fridge ready to cook tomorrow & a loaf of organic "bake it at home" San Francisco style sourdough bread. I did make an interesting new recipe for coleslaw with apples. When I pull it out tomorrow, it's supposed to get a handful of blue cheese on top. I also prepped a bag of spinach. I really don't like the stems & it takes some time to tear them all off. Maybe that will last for another day so I can toss it in with fried rice.

Too many options since I only eat one meal a day.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, I use kitchen shears to cut the stems off spinach leaves since I also don’t like them. Let us know how that coleslaw turns out.

Had to ship up to Boston for an MRI tomorrow at a satellite imaging center I haven’t been to before. It was a trek on the T but it turned out to be in a redeveloped area with a Legal Seafood which has outdoor tables. I had clam chowder, pan seared scallops, whipped sweet potato with pancetta and cranberries, and kale cooked with sauerkraut. It was delicious!

• minustwo
    Options

Maggie - I hear you about kitchen shears & spinach, but that would be just one more thing to maneuver. I just pinch the stems off off with my thumb nail. And I am soooooo jealous of your Legal Seafood meal… chowder, scallops!!!!

Coleslaw was good with a nice crunch, but I ended up adding more garlic salt even before I tossed in the blue cheese. I prefer things more savory than sweet.

Ham was delicious. Cooked over apple wood rather than the stronger Oak or Mesquite (a favorite in TX). Plenty to freeze for two separate ham & bean meals. And I'll be eating ham sandwiches this week. Hmmm - maybe mac & cheese w/ham?

The bread didn't have the tang of real San Francisco sourdough bread. I'll have to save up my pennies and order from Boudins again - but $18 for two loafs plus freight…..oh my. Still, cheaper than flying out there.

• chisandy
    Options

Bob brought stuff from the Whole Foods hot & salad bars Sat. night: teriyaki chicken breasts (sweet & salty) and meatloaf (fatty & carby); plus loaded up a single paper box with mixed greens, mushrooms, raw broccoli & cauliflower, and tabbouleh salad…not separated. The meatloaf & raw veg did not treat me well overnight, but I bounced back.

Tonight I grilled Scottish salmon, made an heirloom tomato caprese with homegrown basil, and sauteed sugar snap peas with garlic-ginger oil & sesame seeds.

The cats are doing okay, though quirky. No little "surprises" (though Sat. I saw Roxy spit up clear fluid, because she barely eats). The only time I see them together is for their early morning & late night feedings. They take turns hiding. BangBang has decided she's mine, and runs interference between my lap & laptop, Roxy spent mose of yesterday & today in the upstairs office closet (Heidi's old haunt) and i worried about her not eating & drinking. (BangBang ate most of a can of ProPlan Senior, and decided she likes to splash her paws in the water bowl before drinking). Had to pull Roxy out to get her to eat & drink, but instead she made a beeline for a fast-asleep Bob. Daddy's girl.

I'm beginning to suspect the reason their previous owner with dementia fed them Cheerios (and presumably milk) was out of desperation to get them to eat something. (But it keeps putting me in mind of Otis the Mayberry town drunk whose fave meal was Cheerios & whiskey). A bowl of Cheerios sounds good right about now, but it's way past meal cutoff time. (Anti-GERD, not intermittent fasting),

• carolehalston
    Options

The eggplant lasagna wasn't as good as usual, thanks to using up the rest of the storebrand marinara instead of Rao's. There's enough lasagna left for another meal but I'm in Minus's position of needing to use veggies in the refrigerator so we'll have a veggie and pasta dish tonight using up the rest of the alfredo sauce. I will possibly buy another jar of that sauce at some time, maybe next fall after we return home, but I won't buy the Rouses marinara. It's ok but not Rao's.

Maggie, your seafood meal in Boston definitely caused envy.

• chisandy
    Options

Rao's isn't cheap, but it's the best—and "cleanest" (no added sugars or chemicals) to boot. I buy smaller jars so they won't go bad in the fridge once opened. Sometimes Costco is false economy if you can't use up mass quantities or have someone to split them with.

This a.m., breakfast was a lightly-fried Happy Eggs "heritage" egg (blue or dark-brown shells, deep orange yolks). Expensive but less so than something cheaper you don't like and therefore won't eat. And though I prefer pasture-raised for humane reasons, and these are merely "free-range," with avian flu refusing to go away the advantage of the former over the latter is disappearing. Accompanied by Dave's Killer Bread toast. I also opened and tasted a FairLife CorePower 42gm/protein vanilla shake…which, unlike the vegan brands, tastes like an actual vanilla milkshake. I've become quite observant of the telltale taste & aroma of pea protein. Fortunately, dairy doesn't bother me.

• wallycat
    Options

I'm making a Caprese salad tonight.

Sandy, thrilled to hear the kitties are OK.

• minustwo
    Options

I do buy the large jars of Rao's at Costco. When I open one, I divide into four containers - use one & freeze three. It's every bit as good from the freezer. I do the same with many large things - including rotisserie chicken. One chicken is 4 or 5 meals for me - breasts frozen separately from smaller pieces to use with fried rice or chicken salad. Another thing I freeze is the 12 pack of Hawaiian Rolls. I can bend & break off 3 to defrost & leave the rest in the freezer for another time. So Costco's not a 'false economy' for me since I never throw away portions of large sizes.

Today's meal was left over ham and left over broccoli salad, accompanied by a couple slices of a lemon bundt cake that was on sale at Kroger on the day old cart. It doesn't even expire until 5/1 but was $3.00 instead of $9.00. Yum.

• maggie15
    Options

Minus, I had never thought about ordering from Boudin's but that's a good idea. My sister lives in SF and sometimes brings a loaf when she comes east. What a good deal on the lemon Bundt cake.

Sandy, I'm glad the cats are doing okay. It sounds like they have had a very unsettled life.

Carole, I agree that Rao’s is worth the extra cost.

Dinner tonight was chicken, mushroom, spinach and sun dried tomatoes in a cream sauce. It reminded me of the Italian flag.

• chisandy
    Options

Ah, minus, I've never had enough room in my freezer for containers of sauce. Gotta try it. I can't eat Hawaiian rolls—the real ones are ultra-simple-carb and the keto ones just too sweet. I like my bread crusty & grainy.

Tonight Bob came home from stopping by Calo after work, and brought me his leftover linguine frutta di mare. There was a scant 1/3 c of pasta, just enough to enjoy but not enough to induce regret. Also one each shrimp, scallop, mussel & calamari ring plus about 2 oz. of the salmon I grilled last night.

BangBang ate like a little (well, not so little) horse today. And she is insanely and forcefully affectionate. I made a long post on the politics thread that took me 40 minutes to type because she is jealous of the computer. Roxy is holding her own. They have never been used to their own dishes, so I finally gave in and let them share.