Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

So...whats for dinner?

Options

Comments

• maggie15
    maggie15 Member Posts: 925
    Options

Carole, I have a recipe for Gobi Aloo that works well and came from a novel by Alka Joshi. I'll post it when I get home (back to Boston right now.) With having to eat outside if I dine at a restaurant and DH's dietary restrictions we only do that or takeout when absolutely necessary. Taking a break from cooking and having some not so good meals will probably re-inspire you. That might happen when you drive north.

Sandy, Good appliances are worth it. My 22+ year old Bosch dishwasher died last week but never gave a moment's trouble before that. We're replacing it with a newer model same brand. Everything else is the same age (except the microwave) so I won't be surprised when they go.

Dinner tonight was chicken tacos from the nearby pub whose food has gone downhill. They were just okay but it was raining too hard to walk farther afield.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

Made a delicious new recipe - Gochujang Buttered Noodles. I used spaghetti noodles and added sauteed mushrooms to the mix. Boil noodles while making the sauce. Sautee garlic in 4 Tbls butter. Add mushrooms & continue to cook. Stir in Gochujang (supposed to be paste but I used sauce since that's what I had), honey & rice vinegar or sherry vinegar (1/4 cup of each - but I didn't use that much). Simmer stirring constantly until mix reduces significantly (3-4 min). Add drained noodles & toss w/sauce & 2 more Tbls butter. Top with scallions or cilantro if using (not me!!). YUM!!! SOOOO pleased with this great taste delight.

I had intended to toss spinach into the saute but I forgot, so the meal was served with a full bag of steamed spinach on the side.

• malleemiss251
    malleemiss251 Member Posts: 206
    Options

A friend gave me a recipe for Cream of cauliflower and broccoli soup that is really easy. Sautee a leek and two rashers of streaky bacon in butter, pour in a litre of chicken stock and some curry powder and let it simmer till the vegetables are cooked. Puree them and serve with sour cream and cheese. It is very tasty and carb friendly for those watching carbs.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,067
    Options

Tonight was chicken & dumplings. Sharon did all the work.

There has been strong winds…probably 50mph/80kph Luckily we have not (so far) lost electrical power.

Thanks for the recipe, 'Mae. I'll save that for when we get back from Ohio and Michigan.

I would love to find an older propane stove…one where both the stove and oven will work without electrical power. We're not totally "helpless" without electricity as we have the propane grill, a camper stove/oven and a Coleman gas stove.

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,317
    Options

Was going to do a little grocery & cat food shopping today, but got waylaid online and doing cat care. It was too chilly to go for a walk, but Bob bundled up and did so anyway—he walked to Calo for a large salad, pizza bread and a Margarita (twice the size & half the price of the one he had at brunch—lesson is that on Cinco de Mayo you're gonna pay more at a Mexican restaurant). Meanwhile, I had half the molé lamb shank he brought home earlier for me, plus the epazote-jicama salad that came with it (he was glad to take the mashed potatoes off my hands). I probably should get more protein into me, but between that, a Premier shake and this morning's ceviche I think I got close to my 80gm. Just don't feel like night-eating any more—it was the behavior that had led me to need medical weight intervention. Just gonna knock back as much water as I can—gotta stay hydrated.

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    Options

Last night was lamb meatballs in Raos with cooked linguine out of the freezer. Also sauteed spinach, using two bags of spinach that needed to vacate their spot in the refrigerator.

• chisandy
    Options

Gonna be dry tonight, so will either walk to a local restaurant for dinner or grill fish.

• maggie15
    Options

Malleemiss, I make a low carb soup out of chicken broth, avocado, sour cream and curry which is delicious. I'll have to try your version.

Carole, It must take detailed planning to use up food when you are leaving for the season.

Dinner tonight was takeout roast turkey and veggies from the hospital cafeteria. It's much better than the turkey they serve if you are an inpatient.

• minustwo
    Options

Today's meal was a 2 egg omelette with sauteed mushrooms and Monterey Jack cheese.

Purchased a Sicilian liqueur that we've discussed on the drinking thread - Averna Amaro. Sipping this as I wind down toward bedtime.

Maggie - I never think about putting avocado in soup.

Eric - we've had those darn winds for the last two weeks. Sure blows the pollen around, not to mention limbs from the trees. When to you leave to see your girl?

• chisandy
    Options

Walked to Regalia tonight, shared the house Mediterranean salad (mesclun, feta, cherry tomatoes, red onion, cucumber). Bob had sausage rigatoni, I had spaghetti cacio e pepe (packed most of it, of course). Hoping the fat in it "gets things going," so to speak (TMI).

• carolehalston
    Options

Avocado in soup. A novel idea for me.

I used the ham bone in the freezer yesterday to make red beans. Actually dh made the beans while I was at an appointment. We both tended to the pot while the beans simmered. The finished product was very good. A big bowl of leftovers.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,273
    edited May 7
    Options

We had hopes to do a mexican dinner last night after DH's hearing test. Figures, it was closed on Monday. Drove home and I tossed together a can of condensed clam chowder (I can only find this brand on amazon), added frozen spinach and a can of baby clams in clam juice, plus some cream. Easy and delicious.
    We pick up his hearing aids on the 19th, Sunday, so will see if there's a place we can enjoy dining out. We do so little of that and it is my Birthday this month and DH's next, then our Anniversary…so a few meals out will be had.

Maggie, I smiled reading about your dishwasher. My sister's bosch just died…21 years old and now her 40 year old fridge is dying….

I'm making a capresse salad for dinner tonight.

• eric95us
    eric95us Member Posts: 3,067
    Options

We leave on May 11 for "back east".

This morning, the wind was actually somewhat calm…about 20mph/30kph winds….but it is back to the normal for this time of year with all the blowing dirt. The plants here are just starting to bloom, so the pollen hasn't been too bad. When the wind is blowing the dirt around, I wear some dust proof goggles so I'm not getting dirt in my eyes.

Some friends are coming up to "house sit", so if we don't eat all the perishable foods before we leave, there shouldn't be any science experiments.

• illimae
    illimae Member Posts: 5,607
    Options

Tonight DH made shrimp Alfredo with rigatoni and a Cesar salad. Dessert will be banana cake sent home with DH by a neighbors mom.

• maggie15
    Options

Wally, Sorry you missed your Mexican meal out but the chowder you made sounds good. Maybe one of your celebration meals could be at that restaurant.

Dinner tonight was oven fried chicken and cauliflower.

• minustwo
    Options

Wally - what's the brand of condensed clam chowder from Amazon? I've been buying Ivars from Costco. It's "decent" but not Legal Seafood from Boston. In fact, not even Boudin from San Francisco.

I took care of my 9 year old grand niece tonight. I taught her to make wheat chex & peanut butter "sandwiches" for appetizers and we had broccoli/cheddar quiche for dinner.

• chisandy
    Options

I froze last night's leftover pasta—out of sight, out of mind. Was hoping Bob would stop off at Costco after work and bring home a chicken, but instead he brought home a huge pan of Middle Eastern stuff that a drug rep had brought in: chicken & beef kabobs, lamb shwarma, falafel, and tomato-cucumber salad over romaine. So I definitely got my veggies and protein in. Refrigerated the leftovers—but the lettuce was getting soggy so down the disposal it went.

• carolehalston
    Options

Dinner was pan fried shrimp and turnips. DH mixed up a remoulade sauce. One more package of shrimp in the freezer.

Wally, your enhanced canned chowder sounded delicious.

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,273
    Options

Minus, bar harbor brand (condensed, so I can thin out as I please…or not). I remember Legal Seafood when I visited Boston; I've had Ivers (preferred Legal)…canned isn't a good comparison but it worked in a pinch.

Sandy, surprised drug reps are bringing in food again…ah, I missed those days of drug rep lunches.

Carole, safe travels to you and hope the weather behaves. My sis still lives in WI, had horrific hail storm last night…windowpane cracked on her. I hope your DH's jaw pain has had some improvement.

Leftovers tonight. I'll dry rub a goat leg tonight and make that for tomorrow.

• carolehalston
    Options

Thanks for inquiring about dh, Wally. He is experiencing less pain. The meds must be helping.

I know tornadoes have always been around but this tornado "season" is deadly. At least with hurricanes we get advance warning and can evacuate.

• maggie15
    Options

Sandy, Your middle eastern food sounds much better than the planned chicken.

Minus, It's great to be able to introduce your grand niece to something she can make herself.

Dinner tonight was chicken parmesan.

• carolehalston
    Options

Leftover lamb meatballs and linguine in Rao's and a large salad with multiple ingredients. Easy and tasty.

Leftover red beans and rice tonight and a repeat on the salad.

• minustwo
    Options

Carole - great news that you DH's pain level is down. Hope the long distance drive doesn't cause any flares. How are YOU doing? Did your doc totally release you? For some reason this comment struck me as really sad…"only one more package of shrimp in the freezer." We're spoiled having fresh shrimp available.

Wally - I'm a stickler for San Francisco sourdough. Just tastes different to me so I treat myself at least once a year from Boudin Bakery. My son usually tucks a couple cans of the clam chowder in my Christmas box. It's not condensed, ridiculously expensive, and still not the same as eating it on the wharf, but….

Beans are soaking for Ham hock & beans this evening. Tomorrow will be Lacey's cod - probably with rosemary carrots.

• carolehalston
    Options

Minus, thanks for asking about my status, which I'm happy to say is very good. I see my plastic surgeon next Tuesday for the final appointment before I leave. I am amazed that this surgery was so easy. Hope nothing unforeseen pops up.

I checked out the freezer contents and it looks like we should use everything except beef liver that my sister gave me. I cooked only one package. I hate to leave it in the outside freezer in case of a power outage from a hurricane. The house generator wouldn't supply power to the outside refrigerator.

• maggie15
    Options

Carole, You really planned well to have most everything used up. I haven’t tried lamb meatballs in Rao’s (just beef and sausage) so that will be on my list of future meals. I’m glad you have recovered well from your surgery.

Wally, I like the Bar Harbor condensed clam chowder but in a pinch Snow’s condensed will do. I usually doctor it with clams and clam juice but the spinach sounds like a good addition. Legal seafood is by far the best. I’ll have to go out of my way to get some on one of my (currently too frequent) trips to Boston if it’s warm enough to eat outside.

Dinner tonight was baked salmon with Chinese five spice powder and corn on the cob. It was definitely not local (lol) but it tasted pretty good.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight is surf n turf (filet and shrimp) with shaved Brussels sprouts and and individual scalloped potato.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 857
    edited May 10
    Options

Mostly homemade pizza tonight, assembling ingredients from a local organic market and our garden ( basil and salad fixings). Things were pretty tasty overall; DH had to take them back for a smidgen more time in the oven.

I had a nice picture to attach but alas technology won't allow it this evening. 😕 I'll try again later.

• carolehalston
    Options

Maggie, I like ground beef and Italian sausage better with the Rao's than lamb. The gamey flavor of the lamb is better on its own. My opinion.

Reader, your homemade pizza sounds good. Looking forward to the photo.

• illimae
    Options

Tonight is chicken, mixed veggies and Indian vegetable Biryani. I gave myself a very small portion to try because it smells offensive to me. I don’t know which spice it is but I’m sure I don’t like it.

• maggie15
    Options

Illimae, As always your surf n turf looks delicious. Is individual scalloped potato a controlled portion size? I tend to eat more than I should if I cook a casserole dish of them.

Dinner tonight was stuffed peppers.