Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

OMG They Found the Cure for Stupid

Comments

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703

• Lucy55

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

hahahaha Lucy! Love it!!

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978

Lucy I had a shirt that had that and can't find it :( Wanted to wear it this week.

• Lucy55

GMA.. HaHa 😃

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702

hehehe....good one!!

• Lucy55

HaHa.. That one VERY well watered tree :-)

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181

Anybody hear this? Is it true or stupid? If you're cancer free for five years, you're cured. (I think it goes in the stupid column.)

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I believe the risk of reoccurance drops after 5 years. Actually my MO has started calling me cured and I am past the 5 years

I am still vigilant and follow the exercise and eating plans I set up during treatment

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646

Very stupid...............Shall I give you a list of friends who have had reoccurance, but are still living to talk about it.

I will never say "cured", or "cancer free"..........and I am not Debbie Downer........I just don't think we can ever be sure, but we can live like we think we are...............

A friend went 11 years and it came back in the other breast.

My husband's friend had kidney cancer....came back after 13 years.......

Another friend 5 years BC...came back in the other breast....

I just hope and pray from day to day.......................

• marijen

Thank you duckyb1, I've only been here two months but I did get that impression.

• Lucy55

Marijen.. I agree with Ducky.. There may be less chance.. but we'll never "know ". When I'm feeling down over it I try and console myself by thinking that even people that have never had BC don't KNOW if it's in their future or not either.. Like Ducky says.. All we can really do is hope and pray from day to day.. For ourselves, and each other.

• marijen

I thought it was a very shallow thing for a relative to say, considering she knew that I have spent day and night studying the issue and she seems to think she is immune. Time will tell.

• JBeans
    JBeans Member Posts: 265

I happened on here looking for some humour - thank-you.

I amloving the dog posts!

I just thought I'd add in the misspeak a dear and very supportive friend of mine made to me.

6 days post Mx there was a celebratory party I had thought I probably couldn't attend but felt better than I thought I would so I decided to go. My good friend popped over earlier in the day and was so thrilled that I was feeling up to going she started going on about how we could dress up and we'd have to be sure to wear our "cleavage tops". After a few seconds of stunned silence I broke into hearty laughter. (It still makes me smile now).

My friend felt terrible after and apologized profusely. I had to tell her it was the funniest thing is heard in a long while and not to worry.

Needless to say "cleavage tops" are not in my future and I may need to give the ones I have away. :-).

• duckyb1

NEWS FLASH.............................No one is immuned....................

• marijen

To blow it off and say don't worry in five years if it doesn't come back you're cured is asinine? I'm not even done getting rid of it yet. Well I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Let's go with the funny stuff Jbeans!

• Lucy55

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,604

not cured, rather NED, no evidence of disease. We are cured of breast cancer only when we die of something else!!!!

• marijen

That's right! Sort of funny....

• Lucy55

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978

• proudtospin

I consider my self to be NED as well and in was actually shocked when my MO told me I was cured. I spoke to a woman at the gym who did not have health insurance and was 62. She claimed that since she had not gotten sick of anything in her mind, she never will! Sort of makes me feel bad for her as she could be hit with a huge surprise.

I remember when I was meeting with my financial guy and going over all the dang plans, he thought I should have a plan for withdrawals from my acct so as to cover me living to 105. I said ain't gonna happen and I do try to enjoy my life and not worry about it

I think all of us will be better prepared for whatever comes about but in the interim, I am planning on some fun!

• marijen

Wow if I have enough to get me to 105 I'd be supremely happy!!

• proudtospin

Mar, I do not have enough to live any reasonable life till 105, but financial guys just want to get hold of your savings and hate when you start talking withdrawals. I had some tell me I did not have enough saved to retire but guess what, did it and life is reasonable. I have savings to last a reasonable time period

• duckyb1

Me too Proud.....and with the sale of the shore house it cuts down on the care of 2 homes which will make me that much "richer"...........LOL.............

I paid alone in just real estate taxes $10,000 a year.......plus in the summer double everything......phone, tv, internet, electric (running the pool was a big chunk of change) water bills for 2 hourse.....plus lawn care for both.....chemicals for the pool.........turn the sprinkler system on, turn it off, winterize the house and the pool........so all that will be gone, but then so will my beautiful home with my pool.................as of now.......it looks like it is sold..............
  • proudtospin

ducky, glad it looks like the place is sold and sure will be nice to have only one set of bills

• duckyb1

Yea Proud........considering how much time we were spending down their it was a lot of money.......

Once my grandchildren started school it got less and less......then with sports it would cut out more time.......I was never one for going alone, and even though I have 6 children only 2 actually continued to go for many years..

Then those 2 were cutting back on their time, and eventually when Stella started having seizures Nikki would not go at all for the past year.........so it was just the one daughter, and then she bought her own place.

I did not do as good with the offer as I would ahve liked to..........poor timing.....no one buys a shore house in December.......these people looked in Sept, but were slow with the decision........I had to decide if I would get a buyer in April or May......and if not it meant more expense, opening up the pool.....no one to go down to take care of it........so I thought..........let ;it go............it's hard but its also "time".....

• proudtospin

actually, I do not know anyone who seems happy lately with the process on real estate stuff

but it will work out, lucky it was not a foreclosure thing for you, I know several young folks in deep do do on homes

back was unhappy last weekend and hoping my pool time today plus heating pad time will perk it up

• duckyb1

Hope your feeling better.....know how those back problems can be......know how they say nothing worse then sore feet.......headache..........that is until your back hurts............backs involve it all.................ugh

• proudtospin

thanks, back is better today so gonna be nice to it, I over did it at the gym on Fri so ended up paying for it

I keep going back and forth about the shots and plan on having a conversation with my PCD when I see her the end of the month

although, when I talk with folks at my gym, almost everyone has some body part that is a pain! or just plain worn out