Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Big thihng absent in my diet right now Omega 3 capsules a t 1000-2000mg twice a day. I've screwed up b/c I haven't stopped to get them----health food store --Barleans or bluebonnet brand--refrigerated. Don't trust GNC or store brand at walmart etc

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Here is the article from the City of Hope (one of the best cancer treatment centers in the country, my sister had her treatment there) about women developing diabetes post breast cancer diagnosis and treatment. 

http://breakthroughs.cityofhope.org/breast-cancer-diabetes/2601/

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,969

Sas- those poster so SO COOL! What a wonderful thing to have in your possession. It would have been wonderful to hear those folks in the day in those cool little clubs in NYC. You have a real gift with those posters- keep them safe and dry!

Soteria- the vulvo story Winking

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938

Just went back and looked at last two EOB's for onc visit.  Provider charge was $177.  If he gets that for every ten minutes, that's $1,062 per hour.  And that's just for an office visit! Shocked

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 942

Jazzy my 25 year old son has been Type I since age 6. He takes 4 insulin injections daily. His A1C is rarely below 9. I wish he'd take it more seriously. He was in ICU this past summer. The doc said it was the worst case of DKA he'd ever seen. 12 hours later Jess walked out of the hospital AMA.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711

Paula u little dickens u, that was funny. I think everyone is jealous of my vibrating phone, as well u should be.

• sas-schatzi

Jazzy------you have brought THEE connection we need to bring together why Grammb's  thread is needed. We need to act. at least on our small group.

GrammaB you up for discussion?

Starting a very serious thread ----is serious, frankly this subject is so serious, I'd pass it off to the Mods. I then would monitor the mods as to accuracy. Let them lay the very serious outline. Then once they have done it to your satisfaction start a discussion thread. B/C even though people read the best that can be produced, they want to discuss it.

When I started the Constipation thread, I was dismayed  nothing on BCO existed. Then I realized they didn't have the skills. MY nursing skills they don't have. Coincident to that if you look at the Constipation Thread. I had two questions 1. hemorrhoids, 2. diverticulitous at the same time. It was the worst way to start a thread with the two worst things that can happen. But--constipation is dangerous. So, I figured if talk of what was the worst might get people to pay attention to what to do, to make it not so bad.. Could have been wrong. But always figured people would take note of, and read over what they needed to until something applied. BUT knew where to come back to when they need it.

So, Gramma and Blessings------WHOOOOOOOOohootlittle owt damn. Let's ask the mods to take it on. They will have to take it to a meeting. Since Jazzy has a resource for Increase of diabetes in BC treated patients. It can't be ignored. It will then become asource of discussion, based on peered reviewed material.-------------------------------oh wtf ------where are the owls 

• sas-schatzi

Good lord what PLANET AM I ONE?

• grammaB
    grammaB Member Posts: 1,118

Jazzy, did you know you can buy an over the counter A1c test at WalMart?  You do the finger stick and mail it in and then email results. I haven't done that one, I have used the Bayer A1cNow test that gives you an immediate result, but they have discontinued it so I will be switching to WalMarts Relion test.

sas, it is the sulfonylureas that damage the pancreas by depleting the beta cells.  I take Metformin which is one of the oldest and safest d drugs.  It works in the liver instead.  I started at 1000mg/day but recently dropped down to 500 and in a month or two will cut that out too.

• sas-schatzi

Soteria------juveniles ---diabetics type 1 or new onset type 2 as juveniles---are the worst to control. For those that don't understand there is something they can do to control it---------they seem to be on the wish to decline. That's why both types need intensive work with a team. Modified my response.

• grammaB

Soteria, yikes!!!  Bald volvos!! LOL!  If you can convince your son to try to reduce carbs he will find his numbers come down and he will require less insulin.  DKA is nothing to mess with, it can be fatal.

badger, yeah, I love it how you can hear the dr pull the chart out of the door and spend all of about 5 sec reading it.  

sas, I had diabetes before bc.  I fortunately didn't need any further treatment for the bc beyond the BMX.  I don't know if the d possibly comes from the bc or as se from treatment.  Never bothered to research since I already had the d.  So I really can't speak to a bc/d connection. All I can say is what has helped me control my diabetes and many other people too.  What kind of thread are you thinking of?  BC leading to diabetes and why/how? If just suggestions to how to control d then maybe just links to various sites/forums? 

• sas-schatzi

Gramma --not sure, just keep your owlette ears open. Never know when we run into an unknkown?

• grammaB

gotcha!

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895

Personally I wish hairless Volvo was a permanent SE!

• sas-schatzi

4---Not sure what I'm responding to, but hair on the Volvo has been a surprise and a worry. Why not for 3years. Then when sex became very active did it return. Are we talking in the same universe?

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

My Volvo has three hairs - two more than my pits. 

Can't blame BC; thanks, menopause! TMI? Loopy

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801

See how much I love this thread?

Went and got a tat just for y'all....

KIDDING!!!!!

Although "Elvalei Clara" may be a real person...and this may be a tribute...

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372

good morning everyone and happy new year!

Sorry I went AWOL, had a bad week. I've loads of catching up to do - I'm back on page 210!

Got my hair done. I'll post a pic later today, I'm on my phone now so I can't. Need the computer. 

Very short version of what happened is back is playing up, pins and needles in my hand so appointment with the surgeon has been moved up. In the meantime the knee I was operated on 4 weeks ago has developed a fracture in the tibia, totally unrelated to the surgery!  Needless to say I'm a happy camper. 

Anyhow, I'm going to read back through the old posts to see what madness happened in my absence and I'll be back soon. 

Nicky

• Smaarty
    Smaarty Member Posts: 2,618

Nicky-hope you do better soon.

Blessings-like the tattoo. I thought I might do some when I'm all done. Do you think her boobs are real?

• sas-schatzi

gramma I trust nothing to protect the liver--------------------nothing

• grammaB

LOL, Blessings, I'm right there, haven't had to shave under the arms in years and years and the Volvo.... well if look at the volvo, you might find a hair or two...

Awesome tat!!  

• sas-schatzi

Nicky were insane ---------all of us. Er some of us, and we do cover quite well. Most of the time. But there are ....moments........ that we leak, and it all comes out of brains, not our bums. We do seek to confuse the watchers. Those that think we smoke......pot.

Our world is so mixed up, as I reach for a cigarette and a drink.....wishing it were p..o..t.................Those thoughts of what it would be to smoke or eat pot. I'll just have a drag on my cigarette and drink of wine. The watchers doing the same, not perceiving the difference. OR that they are the SAME, but for a LAW.

DeToqueville, why are you not here now. You saw, you wrote, about the crazy American. We do what we want, screw the law. We just hope we don't get caught. We pray we don't get caught. It would really mess up our credit rating. That rating is everything. Messes up our homeowners premium and our car insurance premium. THAT REALLY SUCKS.

• sas-schatzi

Okay that's enough of play time, wasn't that fun to play.  Any one  else want to play?

• NickyJ
    NickyJ Member Posts: 372

lol Sas!!!

That goes beyond strange. I love it!! Keep it coming - it's just the type of humor I need to take my mind off everything 😜

Can't think straight enough to join in at the moment. Or maybe it's me that needs the pot??!

Nicky

• sas-schatzi

Oh fiddlespoop, it's the middle of the night and I'm talking to myself -------again-------------well I'm missing Harvey the Pooka. My first thought was Harry...then it went to Harvey.  Harvey is so much more a friend in the state I'm in. I wonder what would Harvey say? Or do? He might invite me down to __________bar? To have a martini. Ey'  that'd be nice.

• sas-schatzi

Nicky---oh my Oh My       we missed you What is up with you?

• sas-schatzi

Nicky where are you? YOO_HOO_HOOT

• sas-schatzi

We are all so entranced with you being here , please, come back.........

• sas-schatzi

Okay , it seems I'm in the middle of the night again......had chocolate. It was also a great movie. called "Chocolate". So, dreamy. A girls movie. ------------going to check on nicky---nope nicky didn't checkin -----bummer. so, on to midnight ramblings. Chocolate is a seriously womans' movie. If you haven't seen it RENT it however. In the end you will believe in the power of chocolate'.

• grammaB

LOL sas, my liver is in far more danger from the alcohol I imbibe in than the low dose diabetes meds!!