INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295

I read your post alyson then went back through the thread...I thought it was just me having trouble but now I see its happened before,

I confess I still do the FB thing and press enter by habit...thought I must have been doing that...now I see its gremlins...lol

Thanks

jezza

• karen333
    karen333 Member Posts: 2,037

anyone up

• karen333

guess not, I will try to go back to sleep, it was a twice awake night, that is not unusual for me.

• jezza
    jezza Member Posts: 295

Hope you got to sleep. I was here but didn't see your post til now.

jezza

• karen333

jeeza, did get back to sleep, hope you did too.   Karen

• Too early for you chickens? 

• Well, since no one is here, I am going back to Brothers and Sisters which I have not seen for awhile so I am sort of lost.....Nora certainly does go thru the men on that show.  

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412

I have been on the rads section about all day!!

I have my rads consult on tuesday. I have my notebook and pen by the computer so i can jot questions down.

will be bouncing back and forth rest of the night!

• So what are you doing, asking questions about what to expect?  Do you know how many treatments you will be having?  or won't you know that til you see the rad/onco Tues? 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849

Hello everyone! Do you sometimes feel like the movie 50 first dates with residual chemo head? I was just posting on another thread and thinking, did I ask them that already? oh boy, a bunch of chemo heads on a discussion board...no wonder the treads are so long! lol

• Hi Gina, How are you?  I am not staying on here too long tonight...have my CAT scan and a MRI in the morning. 

• sagina

I'm good, gearing up for rads starting Wednesday.  I noticed your dx date, has the C monster escaped you since, i hope!?

• Escaped me?  Fraid not....I have been Stage lV for 13 yrs now....did have quite a few years in remission, but I have always been doing some sort of treatment.  Right now it is Gemzar/Xgeva.  We are just trying to keep the cancer from progressing, treating it like a chronic disease.  You and  hdangel have something in common....guess she starts rads soon also. 

• Well gals, I am calling it a night.  See you all later. 

• sagina

Marybe~so sorry, I was so hoping that was not the case.  Well you are in my thoughts and prayers now! have a wonderful sleep!

• Oh, that is OK, Gina.  I have been doing this a long time and I feel fine and I still work and as they say life goes on....lucky for me, it is anyway.  I just posted a recipe for the groom's cake they are serving at the royal wedding on the older women with more sense thread....one I am on a lot.  It is supposedly Prince William's favorite cake and it is more like fudge than cake,....really good.  My neighbor brought me a piece. Here it is....know you were making brownies last night SAS, but I bet this is better. 

This is Prince William's favorite cake and will be served as the grooms cake at the royal wedding.

Chocolate Biscuit Cake

No - Bake Cherry Chocolate Biscuit Cake

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-bake-cherry-chocolate-biscuit-cake-272902

By SusieQusie on December 20, 2007

Prep Time: 20 mins

Total Time: 3 1/2 hrs

Servings: 12

Ingredients

10 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 10 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped (a 12oz package of nestle choc chips)

10 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 cup whipping cream

2 tablespoons golden syrup or 2 tablespoons mild light molasses

1 (7 1/2 ounce) packages butter cookies, coarsely crumbled ( Le Petit Beurre biscuits)

(almost any kind of cookies, I like to use coconut cookies)

1 cup chopped walnuts

1/3 cup raisins

1/3 cup dried tart cherries

Directions

1.     Line 9 x 5 x 2-inch metal loaf pan with plastic wrap, leaving overhang on both ends.

2.     Stir chocolate and butter in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat. Mix in cream and golden syrup. Stir in remaining ingredients.

3.     Pour chocolate mixture into prepared pan. Smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or overnight. (Cake can be prepared up to 3 days ahead. Keep refrigerated.).

4.     Uncover pan. Place platter on pan. Invert cake onto platter. Peel off plastic wrap. Cut cake into slices and serve.

5.     Nb - This is very rich and can be pretty crumbly when cutting. Keep cold for best results.

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

Is anyone going on the chat here too? For these wee hours insomniacs?

• sagina

Hi Day I'm here! how are you?

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519

I'm in the chat room, in the "Treatment and beyond" room.

• hdangelbaby
    hdangelbaby Member Posts: 412

Marybe, yes i start rads soon. probably week after this one. I go see the rad onc tuesday for the first consult. I am guessing simulation and then rads will start soon after that!

sagina, we will most likely be doing rads together! you will be about a week or so ahead of me though!! let me know how it goes!

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

HELLOoooooooooo i'm here-------- now Monday morning 201 am-------, but it's by choice vs insomnia---------went to a party........... Can't ever just be one of those reasonable people that goes to sleep after a party. Have been on the Cath thread.  Would have caught all of you if I came here first.

Would like to ask if you can think of something funny leave that as your last thought before you leave here.

So, now that puts me under the pressure of finding something funny- HMMMMMMMM

All the stupid things that people have asked about why my husband and I got cancer at the same time -----------as a nurse i gave them answers-----------Genetics for me and likely asbetosis exposure for him......... Its only recently that I realized it's none of their clucking business.    Duh----chemo/ anesthesia brain.

I did a thing on another thread about chemo anesthesia brain that i'm going to copy and paste here.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192

2:27am... my steroids are keeping me up... ugh

• sas-schatzi
    13 hours ago, edited 13 hours ago by sas-schatzi sas-schatzi wrote:

Squid -yes you got exactly what I was assessing. One nurse to another.

Which you pointed out and excellent discussion point. Anesthesia. You and I are aware of it. But lay people are not told of this. Everyone here almost has had chemo. We all talk of The infamous CHEMO brain. Anesthesia does the same thing and can last for weeks sometimes months. It especially deleterious  to the older the person becomes roughly 75+  and if there is any dementia it enhances it majorly.

For example, In 09 I had one chemo(failure --no more)and 4 anesthesias. Basically, It was 6-7 months beyond the last anesthesia that some else would be considered to be beyond all the effects of anesthesia. I was different because of the concurrent closed head trauma--direct brain injury,  being given cytoxan which crosses that barrier---oh well is another whole different problem---don't dwell on my problem unless you also had a closed head injury.

So, if someone had the original breast sx, then typically 2-4 more sx's for completion of recon +then minimum adjuvant chemo(typically4)in the neg node situation.... or more chemo's in the situation where nodes were involved -------the brain attack, which is my made up phrase, is so significant, months and months to perhaps into the second year, one may feel the brain is not working right.

There is a wonderful protective mechanism in the brain that is called the blood brain barrier. Some drugs can pass this barrier some cannot. Anesthesia drugs are chosen for this reason through lots of research. One statement that always amazed me in reading about anesthesia, is that it is unknown why deep levels of unconsciousness occurs because of these drugs. What is known is that they do cause these deep levels. So, if you ponder this---how long those drugs affect the brain over time cannot be measured truly accurately, if they admit they don't know why they work. Yes, testing is done, but a test can only measure what the questions are asking. No mental test of any nature measures everything. So, if science readily admits that they don't know why anesthesia works, my theory is --then they can't say for certain what the opposite end --or recovery is. What is known is it is different for each person.

Soooo, I hope this gives a little help in understanding further why your brain feels discombobulated(sic?). We say that word , but i can't find Merriam to see if it's actually in there LOL.

Everyone accepts that there is chemo brain------you here little about anesthesia brain. For us that have been assaulted(hence my phrase brain attack) by so many chemicals in such a short space of time have been hit with a double whammy. Then on top of that add in pain meds, antidepressants, and anti-anxiety meds that are designed to cross the blood brain barrier specifically------- well poor brain.

But our wonderful and magnificent designer created this wonderful organ to be so resilient. Again hope this helps.

L&H&P NAMASTE SHEILA

• sas-schatzi

Bdavis ar you here

• sas-schatzi

Bdavis if you are here well talk about steroids

• sas-schatzi

Bdavis--------sorry I waited long enough for a response i"m going to my other threads

• bdavis

I am here... not much to say but this is the one night I have sleeplessness

• sas-schatzi

Bummer i was here-and then I was gone---- then you where here and i was gone. now you are gone and I'm here

• bdavis

i am here

• bdavis

but not sure for how long... almost 3:30am and I need to "get up" at 6:30