INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• The new chemo is halaven.   Re the claritin, my onco just rolled his eyes, but many women swore by it so I thought it was worth a shot and don't ask me why, but it did make a difference.  I also told another woman at treatment about it and one of the nurses said she thought Susan Love mentioned it in one of her books. 

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

The bra site will majorly help then they have oodles of suggestion, But what the helped with most was the LE problems.

• I don't have actual LE in my arm, but I do have this sort of pouch under my arm where the PS did not do the greatest job....it was almost like a nipple there where the drain was and he was going to fix it, but never did and I get swelling there, but it is not visible with clothes on and I suppose some women have fat that hangs out there anyway.....but it's just on that one side.  I have been lucky with the LE.  I do have a sleeve I wear when I do yard work or fly. 

• sas-schatzi

Well what we teach each other sometimes precedes the science. So many discoveries have been made by happenstance. and then passed on

• sas-schatzi

Well I have breast/axillary and upper inner arm swelling pain. I posted the long story on the bra thread. But my life has changed this week and they had a part to do with it

• How did your life change?  For the better, I am hoping. 

• sas-schatzi

96 I taught my sister about ginger tea for nausea ---unheard of in cancer circles at the time. I used it with my dad who wass on dialysis in 87. Ilearned about from the local HF store. It stopped is dry heaves right in front of me , dad couldn't burp after that without someone asking him if he wanted some ginger tea.---------Then sister told everyone she could don't know if it spread from Detroit circles or not , but it's recommened all over now

• sas-schatzi

It will take a couple minutes to write

• sas-schatzi

Last thurs. I slept with head elevated and feet elevated b/c of low back pain. In the morning the b/a/arm pain and swelling were the least in 2 1/4 years----It was confirmed on the bra site that the migrating foob in to the axilla can cause problems. So, I did something by chance for something else and it leads me to an improvement for something else-----------then find a thread that confirms it............ HUGE

• sas-schatzi

Marybe--------------where'd you go???????

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

I thought you were going to get some sleep Shiela? 

• sas-schatzi

Marybe--------I have to go it's 613 am bed is calling but check the bra thread. I was so excited when I found them that I posted it on 12-13 sites.  hope everything continues to go well for chemo--------And the hair stays put

• Sorry, I was posting to this sweet girl who just lost her mother to BC.....sounded like the woman had a crappy onco to me. 

What is the thread? 

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy I'm not a very good self care person LOL

• Hi Chrissy.....have you been baking up a storm?    

I will check out the bra thread. 

• sas-schatzi

I will have to check on my favorites be right back with exact name

• sas-schatzi

Bras 101 --the great exchange debate

• Thanks, I will check it out.  Now I must go....the dog keeps putting his paws on me and wants to go for a walk since I am up....if we go now maybe not too many neighbors will see me in my PJs.  Have a good day, ladies.  See you soon.....hope you get some sleep. 

• sas-schatzi

I also need to go eat -------official -----real sign off -------check out bonfires of the goddesses ----we had some laughs tonite with old stories between That's LIFE and NANCY###### they are a hoot I"m off chrissy honest ...electricity is being punched  off.

• chrissyb

Sleep well Shiela!  Catch you later!

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy it's been a couple of days. It's 9:15 sat here in usa. Let's see how long the night lasts

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502
    Hi late-nighters! You're getting an early start tonight.  Smile
  • chrissyb

Hi Shiela I was late getting on today so it's about midnight your time.  Are you still up or have you succumbed to the pillow?

• Emaline
    Emaline Member Posts: 37

I wish I had known about this before!  All during the horrid waiting from mammogram to biopsy to 2nd opinion to MRI to mastectomy, I never had a problem sleeping.  I think it was a defensive thing. I could sleep at the drop of a hat.

Now since surgery and I'm not taking any pain killers....I can't sleep.  Last night Iwas up until 4am, we are going on 12:20am and yet again, can't sleep. Sigh.

Of course I go back to work on Tuesday, so this just makes me so happy!  I have no idea what is going on, it makes no sense.

So just wanted to say hello to anyone else with insomnia :)

• salkate
    salkate Member Posts: 8

I am waiting for exchange surgery on Tues.. I have been awake for several nights thinking and worrying !! It is comforting to know other people are awake too.

• Emaline

Oh congratulations on your exchange surgery!  I've only had 2 fills and I'm ready for mine. I think I'm in for a world of hurt as this progresses along :)

Are you worried about how it is going to go?  I hate being put under. Hate it.  It is always the same for me, I feel absolutely awake and tense, I get to the surgery room and everyone is surprised I'm still so with it, then they ask me to switch from one table to the next and say they are going to give me oxygen and that is all she wrote.  Hmmmm....I wonder what they are putting in that oxygen!  3x times so far this has happened.

• chrissyb

Hi girls!  Emaline it's not the oxygen it's what they inject into your IV line that knock you out.

• salkate
    salkate Member Posts: 8

Well, I love my expanders and would be happy to have them stay forever. I have had them in since July . My doctor says they will deflate eventually so I have to exchange. I asked to be awake for the surgery since I am numb anyway, but I have to be asleep. I have such a fear of being put to sleep!! Honestly they need to give me something to calm me down as soon as I pull in the parking lot! How many fills will you have?

• Emaline

Hi there!

I figured it was but it is just funny that it always happens that I go under as soon as they give me the oxygen mask :)

• chrissyb

Salkate if you speak to the anaethetist prior to going to theatre and let him know how you feel, they will usually prescribe a sedative for you.  It actually makes their job easier to have a calm patient.