INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600

Tired tonight.  We had a very tense and contentious Board meeting today at the Senior Center.  Annual elections are next month and we have a group of trouble makers that are trying to take over.  Their ideas for running the center would cause it to close in short order.  They want to get rid of all volunteers, get grants to hire staff and build a new center to be run by hired staff.  In the mean time they are harassing volunteers and making baseless innuendos or incompetency and dishonesty.  Their most recent antics involved reporting to the police that one of us was stealing a recliner.  I'm more than a little stressed out tonight.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Wow Chabba!  that would stress anyone out!!!  Do you have any sort of come back for them?  Is there anywhere you can go to report what they are doing?   That is soooo wrong on so many levels!  Most of these places are only there because of the volunteer armay that man them.....and trying to get funding for anything right now is next to impossible.....where are their heads?  up their behinds?   ((((((Hugs))))) because you could do with one.

• chabba

We are the board that their antics get reported to.  A couple of them are deffinately mentaly unstable.  I suspect that somewhere behind them is someone who just wants to acquire the property either to turn it into something else or possibly just because it is prime commercial property in a desirable location.  We have already survived two such attempts in the past. 

We did vote to censure the ones involved in the false police reports and related harassment of our volunteer.

• chrissyb

Thanks for the compliment Nancy, I have four grandsons aged 15, 14, 13 and twelve.  The little munchkin in my avitar is my gorgeous niece.  She is my younger brother's daughter.....he was a late starter...lol.....but we don't mind because it's great to have little ones around.  Her name is Evangeline and her older sister is Isabella and she is four.  Evie as we call her was nine months old when that pic was taken and she's now sixteen months and running around everywhere.  They bring such joy I just love 'em to bits.

• chrissyb

Sorry girls I bumped into both of you....lol.   Shiela has been around as she has posted on some of the other threads so can only assume that she is counting z's.

Chabba regardless of the reasons what they are trying to do is just plain wrong.  I sure hope you manage to quash them with out adding too much stress to your life.

• chabba

We can just hope we can get out enough loyal members to defeat them on election day.

• chrissyb

Do they have a strong following?

• chabba

It is hard to say.  They have been campaigning madly and recruiting new members.  We have been talking to old members and signing up new members too.  I am hopeful.  We can only wait and see.

• chrissyb

Nancy, I'll be 60 in December, so not so young.......lol

Chabba.......you can only do what you can do and no more so I'm hoping for you that it is enough.

• chrissyb

No, here Father's Day is in September.  Nothing exciting planned here as I have to take it easy until I go back to the doc on Wednesday so she can take the stitches out of my face.  She gave strict orders....no house work, no gardening nothing that would make me hot and sweaty otherwise the skin graft may not take......and I don't want that!  So, for once in my life I'm doing as I was told....lol.....and taking it easy!   What have you got planned?

• chabba

Night all, I'm going to try for some sleep. (((HUGS)))

• chrissyb

Night Chabba.....sleep well!

No probs Nancy, you weren't expected to know....lol  70's is good, 90's  well that's another thing.....it's getting a bit warm for me....lol.   I like the cooler weather much better........that's why I am loving it now here as it is winter....yay!!!  Take it easy and enjoy your Father's Day with your Dad.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hi ladies... don't know if you're still here, but i enjoyed your conversation, anyway.   Chabba: i hope the vote goes your way, i agree with chrissy: that is so wrong, in so many ways!!! off to the older w/more sense i go.... night all       3jays

• chrissyb

Hi 3jays, I'm still here.

• chrissyb

Night Nancy, sleep well! See you another night/afternoon...lol

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

I'm here------------------sas/sheila

• sas-schatzi

getting ready to write another favorite recipe

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,502

Hi SAS and Nancy, and anyone else still up and at 'em. What's the recipe?

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

I see two of you are still up. Sheila, isn't it time you were asleep? Can give Nancy some more time though.

Its early evening here and have had a lovely afternoon. A very gracious lady invited us out to celebrate her life, she has turned 80. Today about 40 people helped celebrate with her. On her actual birthday there were about 100 - we couldn't go that day as we were away. She has never married and as she said has worked all her life and would rather spend her money on her friends now while she can enjoy it too.

Actually I feel quite sleepy after all that lovely food.

• sas-schatzi

oh well just lost my post------------i'll start again---------onion casserole ---good /great with good beef or lamb. Each time you make it try different onions to see which you like best, All onions cooked down have different flavors. Let me hope I don't wipe myself out again. Here we go.

4 medium onions. 3Tbls butter/olive  oil, 2Tbs flour, 1cup beef broth, 1/4 cup sherry or 1/2 cup dry white wine, 1/4 tsp each of oregano/basil/thyme, 2 cloves garlic crushed/ minced/ or omitted. 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese, 2Tbs grated Parmesan cheese. croutons to cover

Cook onions in butter or olive oil until tender. (my variation is brown them like a roux)the browning of the onions adds flavor. Add flour mix well and beef broth and sherry or wine, cook until bubbly and thick. Add spices. Add Swiss cheese . Put in casserole--1quart.and chill.  Then put in oven and bake covered for 30-45  minutes@ 350 degrees. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes after topping with Parmesan cheese and croutons. Alternate top with all cheeses and croutons.

Spices can be altered to taste , as well as just about everything else.

Think of it as french onion soup as a casserole. One of my favorite additives to FOS was Marjoram vs oregano. (same family different tastes)

Onions-----can be Spanish, white, or yellow---have never tried red, but if anyone experiments let me know how it turns out. All onions will give a wee bit of a different flavor ---you have to decide which you like best.

Whats fun about this casserole is it's really hard to screw up.. You could ignore every thing here and use your french onion soup recipe, thicken it with the flour then continue with the rest of the directions.  It's  a great side dish or as a couple of spoon-fulls on top of meat. Hope you like it Chrissy depending on you feed back sweetie.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604

hi girls..headed to a good book: sorry i missed you last night, chrissy.. still figuring out how we can get together on my phone..sooon......3jays

• sas-schatzi

Nancy91 sorry i missed you and judith I was typing and retyping-----Duh-- i hate it when your way into something and you hit something and it's all goneee.  But i was into typing this no fail recipe -----------love those type of recipes. they make you look so good when people go hmmm.

Oh nancy so wish we could get crazy like you and TL and I did that one night OMG wouldn't that be the life

There was a time I read a george burns autoiography and he described the bunch that met for lnch in LA everyday , all that he mentioned. But the were the best comedians of the time ----or maybe it was NY at the Russian tea room. anyways if they had recordings of these guys over lunch --oh my. closing to see if anyone else is here sure hope i hit the submit button right

• chrissyb

Hey Shiela, now that sounds delicious! and I'm definately going to give it a go.  I'll give the feed back after I've tried it.

• chrissyb

Hi Nancy how you doing tonight?  I tried this a bit earlier but something went horrible wrong and I ended up back in the web listings.......what the?  Never mind I'm back now......lol

• sas-schatzi

yup it's one of those you can do anything you want to it , and it will comme out right . the word I forgot was vidalla------believe it or not we didn't like it with vidallias--------shocked us --figuired it would be the best because they are so sweet-------have you ever cooked veggies on the grill?

• chrissyb

Oh yeah!  drissled with a little olive oil and dusted with a little rock salt and pepper....ooooo yummmm!

• sas-schatzi

The first time I had garlic cooked on the grilled with the cloves squessed out on toasted bread I thought I died and went to heaven

• chrissyb

That has got to be he best taste ever!!!!    I love garlic and onions and vegies and, and, and.........lol  Lets face it I just love good food full stop!!!

• chrissyb

Doing good Nancy.  I just took the dressing off my face and it looks really weird...lol....like a zipper running down the side of my face and a cotton ball sewn to the graft on the ear.....such a funnt sight!

• sas-schatzi

we then did a taste test of all the onions . we decided we liked the red onion on the grill the best . but what we did was put on baggies on our hands and wiped/rolled the veggie with oil by hand. I think the only one we didn't like was the tomato ----we probably left it on to long