INSOMNIACS place to talk in the wee hours

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,893

Nancy will be writing forever, but it will be worthit. and chrissy's writing

• sas-schatzi

OMG chrissy that sounds like heaven----------------Smuckers is a brand name they have really high quality jams/preservesin many flavors produced outof Ohio

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438

Nancy I would like the paella please.

• chrissyb

I had a feeling that was it but I wanted to make sure.  With the sauce for the dumplings you can also use  golden syrup and that is also really nice.  Use your favourite preserve.

• sas-schatzi

Nancy if you've tried them and love them pass them on girl and if you can suggest modifications do it

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy ---what would you name this---------I have a cookbook that also has side bars of historical recipes -----what would this fall under

• chrissyb

Dessert!  I just call it Sweet Dumplings but you could call it anything you like.

• chrissyb

That same Dumpling mix can be used in a stew as well and they take on the flavour of the meat and veg that is used......a real warmer in the winter.

• sas-schatzi

Chrissy It's the same technique that my mom used to use fro chichen dumplings --yes?

• chrissyb

Yes.

• sas-schatzi

we crossed on posts but came out with the same answer LOL and good eating

• chrissyb

The recipe originated with my grandma back in the depression before WW2.  Of course it was passed down to my mom and then to me but I'm sure it was used by many, many people as those times were very hard and they had to find something that would stretch the budget and fill growing children.

• sas-schatzi

Nancy must still be writing the p Recipe

• chrissyb

I was wondering where she went.....lol

• chrissyb

I made ssome peach preseve this last season and instead of  white sugar I used raw sugar and it has given the preserve a beautiful caramel undertone to it.....I think I might just make some peach dumplings for dessert tonight.

• sas-schatzi

interesting------- adifferense in the sugar-----------where did you get the raw sugar?

• sas-schatzi

Nancy understood a recipe can be long or short-------knew you were typing though

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737

Hi you lot, surprised to see you all here!

• Alyson

We can get raw sugar at the supermarket. Will send email for paela (sp)

• chrissyb

Sheila in Aus it is available in the supermarket the same as the white.  The raw sugar still has some of the molases in it and that is what gives it that caramel flavour.

Nancy I'll PM you the email.

• chrissyb

Hi ya Alyson any favourite recipes?

• sas-schatzi

hi alyson we're talking recipes-----favorites-----------chime in

• Alyson

Well it is made from cane sugar.

Last night made an apple crumble, used ground almonds, oats and spelt flour. It was so good.Trying to cut wheat out of diet as DD and I have IBS. DD has had problems since a child, mine is just when I eat certain food.

• chrissyb

It has a lot of names but the most common one is raw sugar but others are cane sugar and mill white.  It has a larger grain than white and is a golden colour to look at.

• chrissyb

That sound good Alyson....recipe please.

• sas-schatzi

one I have to clarify one ingredient from better home and gardenCB it's so old it will take awhile to locate unless you already have it, tuna curry---letme know and I won't look for it -----------it's amazing over rice-----------but Greg wrote it in our handwritten book and the second item can't be correct

• chrissyb

I do a tuna curry but it may not be the same as yours  wouldn't mind camparing.

• sas-schatzi

The raw sugar is an English thing isn't it. I have an english friend that clarified that --------yes?

• chrissyb

Not neccessarily........I first came across it 40 years ago when I lived in a town where there was a sugar mill.  A friend used to have this browny looking sugar and the flavour of it was lovely and I could never find it in the supermarket so I asked her one day where she got it from and she said she got it in bulk straight from the mill.  Over the years it has slowly appeared in our supermarkets which is a good thing. 

• chrissyb

Sure Nancy, when ever you are ready.