Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone,

Hi Sarah and thank you. I also imagine what you would sound like if you spoke. I think you and kiwimum would sound so very proper!!  Is Dan almost done with school??

Christine, I'm glad your dad is doing a bit better and enjoyed his visitors. Agree ..would love to understand how/when/why this happens and what is really processed. Someday maybe these things will be all figured out..I hope. Also hope your drive in the rain was not too bad and your friend made it through ok.

Kim...that does kinda stink...gee..hope you can get it fixed so that you do not have pain.

I am still trying to get used to this new format ...I guess I didn't find it broken before,but now seems so hard to SEE what I want to see??? Or is this just me???

Good night ladies!!  Sleep tight

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited May 2012

I'm honestly doing o.k. with the new format, but I think a lot of people don't like it.  Probably why our group is kind of quiet right now.

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited May 2012

New format ok, just find there is not much colour contrast on my PC and so it is light on a slightly purple/white background.  My poor tamox changed eyes find it a strain to be on for long.

Mostly just busy.  Work and kids and parents.  Also follow-up with BS this week.  When I don't get on as often, by the time I scroll through and read everyone's comments I forget a bit who posted what. Can't believe what the lack of estrogen is doing to my brain. Lists are my friends.  Think I would almost forget to brush my teeth without them.

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2012

Agree with everything Jane said. Adapting to the new format, still like the old one better but.....Last two weeks at work have been slamming for me and weekends are busy too. Guess it is a good thing to be back to busy and "normal" but man, am I tired. Can't figure out why I am so worn out lately. l faithfully read everyday but haven't commented as much this week. Promise to do better and hope everyone is doing well.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited May 2012

"I am still trying to get used to this new format ...I guess I didn't find it broken before,but now seems so hard to SEE what I want to see??? Or is this just me???"

Exactly!  I feel the same way.  I have been away due to extreme business, but the new format is not doing anything to encourage a quick stop by.

I have had a horrid week.  Soooo busy.  Will stay this way through mid June I think.  I have hit the point of so much going on that I can't shut my mind down at night, so little sleep.  Just took an ambien.  Should be passed out cold soon.  I cannot wait!!  LOL.

My niece's 4th birthday party is tomorrow.  I am looking forward to it.  It is her first real party (i.e. not just family), so I am sure she is very excited right now.  She loved being the center of attentions but never is thanks to her older brother, so she should be in heaven tomorrow.

So, my little flowers that I am going to plant arrive yesterday.  They are so tiny.  I was expecting bigger plants and more blooms.  Although, just since yesterday I see several new ones.  I am going to try to hanger the planter baskets and get them planted this weekend.  I have never tried to grow anything, so this should be interesting. 

I hope you all have a great weekend. 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited May 2012

Hi all!

I am with whoever said they read the posts and can not completely remember who said what.  I do enjoy keeping up with you all.  I hate the new format, my brain does not like new tricks.  Hope all are well.  Two more weeks and school is out, I am sooo ready. 

Happy Friday!

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Hi Ladies,

Hope you all are doing well this morning. It is 6am in Louisville. I could not lay in bed anymore. My son had Confirmation and I "worked" everyday except Friday and today. Today it is soccer and then home..my son has finals next week and then 8th grade graduation the next week,then we are off to Florida. I am ready for school to be out as well.

Lisa, hope you get a break here soon. I used to do bank mergers when all of the big banks were gobbling up all the little banks and sometimes had so many things floating in my mind, I could not sleep. You girls with such important jobs, I really admire you,my brain is struggling to hold onto simple things. I am thinking maybe the lack of estrogen is the cause?? Have a wonderful time at the birthday party...sounds so fun.

I have been doing lots of things with my LE arm lately. I know this will sound silly but in the winter,I can hide my "I am not normal anymore" but now I am wearing short sleeves and I have to wear that "dumb" sleeve. I have had people ask about it or they have touched my arm and kind of jump ( you know ) It is still larger than the other. I think I may need to use the pump more often.  On the bright side ...If this is the worst thing that will happen..I guess that is very good. And brighter still ...one of my co workers is 50 ish..she had not had a mammo in two years and got one because well ..( I guess I scared her ) LOL 

Have a great sat/sun

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    edited May 2012

Just wanted to stop by and tell everyone Happy Mothers' Day! May you all be spoiled rotten...

• christine47
    edited May 2012

Happy Mother's Day to all the Moms!

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited May 2012

Yes, Happy Mother's Day!

Love, Sarah. xxx

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited May 2012

I hope you mother's had a fabulous day! 

My mom was here although that was more for my niece's birthday yesterday than for mother's day.  I did not get my mom a gift . . . how horrible am I?  I did not even realize it was mother's day until wednesday and by then I was too busy to even think about it.  I offered to pay for dinner sat. night, but my sister's husband insisted since it was technically the birthday dinner.  I will have to make up for it with her birthday later this year.

I had a busy weekend.  All day saturday was family stuff. . . birthday and baseball.  I did a little work around the house this morning then had to go into the office for the afternoon.  Ugh.  I just cannot get my desk under control right now.  At least it was a rainy day.

Well, I am off to sleep.  Hopefully anyway.  I have been fighting horrible insomnia.

Speaking of unable to sleep, I am laying her with this crinkly cap on my head.  I have decided to try coconut oil on my hair.  Supposedly it is the secret to beautiful indian hair . . .that hair that formed my flawless wigs that make my current frizzy hair looks horrid by comparison.  It feels soooo gross.  Basically just coated my hair with oil.  This cap is supposed to trap heat so the oil can penetrate well into the hair. Has anyone ever tried this or something similar with you hair.  I hope this crap washes out okay.  I have this image in my mind of oily nasty hair remaining after I wash it in the morning. 

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited May 2012

Hmmm Lisa.  Let us know how it turns out.  Sounds uncomfortable, but will be totally worth it if it comes out as you hope!!

Happy Mothers Day all.  I had a lovely day and was spoilt by my girls.  I was a bit disappointed that it was a normal day again today!

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Hi Girls,

Happy belated Mothers Day. Holy Moley...if you happened to be  a duck,frog or toad..our weather would be right up your alley as it rained ALLLL day yesterday. Still had a nice time with the family though. Had gelato-followed by pizza that is advertised  "slices as big as your face" I think they were right..someday I am going to have real NY pizza. ( none of the above is on the diet plan) Smile

Lisa...that is not horrible ( I hope ) cause I'm sailing in your boat. I did not send a card to my MIL ..not on purpose,I just did not make it to the store.  I am really bad about stuff like that these days. I called her though. Hope you were able to sleep and I really hope you have the most beautiful ( non- oily locks) LOL..hope that worked.  You will have to report back.

I am now making the graduation cake. I found this idea about using ghiardelli chocolate squares ( the little individual ones) and mini Reese cups...you use melted chocolate to "glue" them together they then look like a graduation cap..you use Lolly pop sticks and place them on the cake. I am going to try to make tassels with fruit roll ups ....  my old neighbor was always so funny and she would say things that ( I wish) I had written down but with this graduation cake I have ( to quote Miss Bettye)," I feel like a fart in a whirlwind"...I can not decide what the heck I am doing or make a decision!! i am flitting alll over!!

I hope all of you are doing well....Thinking of each of you...sorry if my language offended anyone...I once knew folks who were offended by the word "fart"...living with all men ..I am not easily offended LOL

Gina...hope your DH is better . I am going to bounce over to FB to see about news there.

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited May 2012

Hi ladies!

Happy mothers day! I am in the ER because I was peeing blood this morning and thought it wasn't normal. Ive been here for 8 hours. No water, no meds for the first 6 hours. I need more drugs. I also need to find out why I'm peeing blood. I hope it is just a uti.

• Terryberry23
    Terryberry23 Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2012

Eema hoping you are feeling better quick!!!

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Hey Everyone

Eema...please feel better soon...we have to celebrate your birthday soon.....Hope you feel much better today...and maybe in a few days we can organize (sync our watches) and we will toast us 40 somethings with a drink. too much hard work/stress etc...we must have an evening of laughter and good cheer....must be my Irish side coming out from the woodwork... I am off now to confuse begonias with gerraniums      LOL

• Eema
    edited May 2012

Well, that was an exciting day at the hospital!

Since I didn't think peeing blood was normal, I did what any rational person would do and called my sister.  She isn't a doctor, but between the two of us, we can usually figure out what's wrong with us;).  I told her I was just going to sit this one out, but she reminded me that my BIL almost died when that happened to him, and he 'just' had a UTI.

So, at least they think that's what happened.  A UTI from the catheter from surgery.  HTG, this is NOT a good way for a birthday week to begin!

OK ladies, I need a nap!  Love to all! 

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Well I am glad it is "just" an ( is it a or an? you profs get me nervous!! LOL )  UTI???? The idea that we are "ok" with a (it looks better as a)  UTI just seems kinda funny in a not funny way!!  I am just glad you are home and it is nothing any more serious. We really need a new way to start off your birthday week!!  Take care my friend!! Tomorrow is a do-over day no sickness/accidents/visits to er's  okey dokey??

• bgirl
    bgirl Member Posts: 435
    edited May 2012

Eema, hope better quickly.  My sympathy - did the peeing blood thing last summer.  Not fun!

Had MRI today.  Trying to think only good thoughts.  Can't imagine starting over.

Did not see my mom this past weekend, but will be going to see her this weekend.  Her 77th birthday - too much to travel both weekends. Did call her though.  Sent a plant with my oldest daughter who went to visit her other gram (MIL).  Trying to make peace.  Hubby still upset over her comments regarding my BC diagnosis and wouldn't call her.

• christine47
    edited May 2012

Eema, oh dear, hope you are feeling better.  Seems like you can't catch a break.  How are you doing from you surgery?

Jane, Sending good vibes your way for a normal MRI.  Please let us know how it goes.

Kmur, I hope you plan to post a picture of this cake on facebook, sounds yummy.  My only decision would be which bakery to use!  Your are such a great mom.  What does your son have planned for the summer?

I had a great Mother's Day.  I was thinking back to last year, we went to dinner at 3, to avoid a crowd because I was NADIR and feeling lousy.  What a difference a year makes.  Saw my PCP today, all is well, did discuss my memory issues, she reassured me normal, post chemo and instant memopause.  I quess with my dad's issues I worry everytime I forget a name, where I put the keys, why I walked into a room, etc.  My dad continues to do ok, I will be traveling north first week in June to see him and my mom.

I will take my new friend to RADs again on friday (went with her 2 times last week).  She is just 41 and this is her second BC, at first they thought she had reoccurance and was also stage4, now they have deceided she has new cancer and NOT stage 4.  Lesions in her lungs were biopsied and final result is sarcoidosis, not cancer.  Our round trip to Duke is about 3 hours, not a quiet moment do we have in my car.  What an amazing a brave woman.

I am speaking at a lunch for the YMCA on Thursday, big donor event and they want me to talk about Livestrong.  I will try and post some pictures on Facebook.  Nervous, but excited, I feel passionate about this program.  They are having the lunch on the lawn of an old mansion (our YMCA is named after her, and her grandaughter is catering the lunch) that I have always wanted to see, maybe I will get a peek instide...ok, now I am rambling....good night.

• kiwimum
    edited May 2012

My friend lost her battle with BC today. 32 years young.

RIP Kylie xx

• JulieLynn
    JulieLynn Member Posts: 86
    edited May 2012

Kiwimum - I'm so very, very sorry for the loss of your friend.  Keeping her, her family, and you in my prayers.  (((BIG hugs)))

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2012

HUGS Kiwi.. I am so sorry for your loss.

• kiwimum
    edited May 2012

Thanks Julie

I'm at work and about to turn my PC off and go home. Sitting at my desk sobbing is not a great look.

• Eema
    edited May 2012

Oh, kiwi! Know I was sobbing right here with you!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2012

oh Kiwi I am so sorry!!!  so young...

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Kiwimum, I am so sorry to read this. Prayers to all of you.

• momx3
    momx3 Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2012

Kiwimum, so sorry about your friend. Please keep positive thoughts as we are ALL thinking of you!!!!

Eema, sorry about your UTI, but that is exactly what happened to me :/ I hope you feel better soon!!!

If anyone else is on FB, plz find my!!! DebbieJimMoyer86.... I think :0

Happy Humped Day, but I sure wish it were TGIF!!!!!!!

• kiwimum
    edited May 2012

Thanks for the supportive messages. I didn't sleep much last night - a combination of the Zometa infusion giving me feverish SEs, and feeling sick to my stomach.

Kylie was diagnosed in April last year, the day I had my first chemo. It's so hard to make sense of ....

I felt a bit bad yesterday dumping my misery on this happy upbeat thread. Please know that it was because I knew you'd understand in a way others wouldn't.

I will look for you on FB Debbie. :)

• kmur
    edited May 2012

Kiwimum, I hope you will never feel badly about sharing here...that's how I feel about it...I would not think of it as dumping. I think each of us has shared good/bad/sad etc.  I believe we can do that and somehow make it through to the blue sky again. I hope you will get through the SE's ..I have read the  first one is tough but the remaining not so much??? Don't know if it is true. I will have you in my thoughts for sure .

Christine...you are a good friend,that is a long drive. I hope you all are able to solve all the worldly problems during this drive or at least have fun.  I wish I could see you speak for Livestrong.  I would be so proud!!  That IS a wonderful program..I met wonderful people and really got my hiney back in the saddle. Thank you for the kind words. I try to be a good mom. If the cake looks half way decent, I will post some pictures. Wanted to tell you ..regarding memory issues. I have to think there IS much to do with the sudden loss of estrogen...this must be a potent chemical...I have heard other women say the same thing about memory. One gal in my group was quite upset by it she would not recall a persons name she has known for years. We were able to connect in that way. When I have said I worry about myself with early dementia...I was really somewhat serious.  I have often not been able to remember my age ,but can remember the year I was born then I have to actually count ???? Many times I have forgotten what year it is????  If I am given too many instructions ...I can not remember the steps. I am going to look into some brain games on the Internet to see if this may help. Anyway.... now I am rambling again...

Kiwimum...take care of yourself, and know you have a place to share here.

Love to you all..sorry so long