Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• tougherthanithought
    tougherthanithought Member Posts: 270
    edited May 2011
    Options

Wow, I have a lot of catching up to do!

Someone mentioned this already, but I prefer coconut oil for a lube vs KY. No stinging and it's not sticky.

As far as numbness, I am almost 2 years to the day from BMX and I am still numb on my sides, right beneath the arm pits and a little around the back. I never really had numbness in the arm. It is a little annoying, but I think I'm just used to it now. The "new normal"- God how I've learned to hate that phrase :)

Sherrill

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited May 2011
    Options

Camping for me is a large trailer with a kitchen, bathroom and shower.  It's called a "toy hauler"-it holds all of our quads, then once we unload, all the beds and couches fold down.  We have a separate "bedroom" with a queen bed in it.  I used to camp in a tent when I was younger, but I don't ever have to worry about that again.  Michelle-we're going to be up above Strawberry.  Beautiful forest.

Not using my arms too much, WTH!  What is too much?  The 20 pushups I've been doing every day?  Riding my quad next weekend?  Trimming my trees?  I would never know what not to do.

I just go with the flow.  If I lived my life worried about everything that could cause cancer, I would have to become a vegan, give up coffee and soda, never drink alcohol...I can't live like that.  I know what caused my cancer (BRCA1 positive), and I know the risks for recurrence.  I take my Arimidex diligently, and just go from there.

I wish they would say housework causes cancer...that I could give up.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sarahx~ I wasn't a coffee drinker and had a whopper tumor...if they really knew what caused what none of us would be on this forum!!! lol. 

Drinking~ My MO asked when I started chemo how much I drank, and I really didn't, maybe one a month - I"m a very cheap drunk- she said that people who drink a little more regularly tend to do better with the chemo nausea effects. I didn't ask why though.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011
    Options

toughthanithought... did you have nodes taken?? Is your numbness due to MX or node dissection? Or you don't know?

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited May 2011
    Options

"Cheers" then to the occasional drink. I totally enjoyed my glass of red wine last night.

I'm still 10 days away from my next chemo and am feeling great. I seem to have gotten my huge post chemo carb gorging under control. I seem to have a pattern for my 3 weeks after chemo. Week one, feel a bit queasy and tired, eat regularly small amounts of bland carbs. Week two, starving for any carbs I can get my hands on. Week three, pre chemo normal eating patterns.

Eating lots and putting on weight was not what I expected. I thought I was going to get "supermodel" skinny!

• tougherthanithought
    edited May 2011
    Options

Bdavis, I did have nodes taken on the left side, but the numbness is on both sides. I think it is mainly due to the BMX.

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    Options
    re: Relationship between drinking (liquor) and chemo induced nausea... I have never been told that info about people who enjoy an occasional drink faring better during chemo. I hardly ever drink liquor and had no nausea whatsoever during chemo. I took Kytril as an anti-nausea drug immediately after a infusion, as well as a dose the following day, and never had a problem.I was given 4 AC's and 12 Taxols.
  • torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    edited May 2011
    Options

tougherthanithought---coconut oil for a lube?  really?  So, the same coconut oil I use on my skin and hair can be used as lube for nookie?  

Interesting...I haven't heard that one yet.  

Thanks!

Tori 

• tougherthanithought
    edited May 2011
    Options

Tori, I use coconut oil for just about everything:)

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2011
    Options

Burley-That sounds like the fun kind of camping.  I know what you mean about using your arm. I used mine all the time. Trimming trees,cutting grass,tilling the garden and no problem. Mine is just recent Maybe I pushed it too much with just having the switch out and then planting tomatoes....who knows...the therapy girls said the trick is to catch it early. Hopefully we did that. You are right about the worry over cancer causes. I too try to take care of myself,take my med. ,I enjoy my beer or wine or whatever when I feel like having it and cheeseburgers,and me too Sarah,I drink coffee too. I tell myself it has antioxidants (sp?) LOL. Just like red wine. I guess us girls have to enjoy each day and try not to worry about all the causes and go forward.

Kiwimom- So great you are doing well.  I put on a little weight too with chemo. I guess the meds can help with that (steroids). I was surprised too. I hope you will continue to feel good and just keep on movin' forward.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited May 2011
    Options

A lot of you out there have the right idea - nobody really knows the causes of cancer in most cases - so you just have to carry on and trust that treatments etc will work for a while. I still enjoy coffee every day - I mean, I read another report saying that it prevents bc - so it's all pie in the sky -guesswork and contradictions!  With LE, I had 18 months of carring shopping, exercising, driving, chores etc - no probs., but then pushed it that bit too far and wham! I've got it. What can you do ? I would say if you've had no probs, just keep doing what you've always done, just don't over-exert your arm abnormally. Got to go and force my son to do his homework now - he's 12 and has his first lot of exams - would be grade 6 in US schools, I think!  Really hard work to get him to do anything - tantrums and tears often - not looking forward to it! Hope you all had good weekends,

Love, Sarah

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sarah1968uk-Hope you were able to get through that homework.  My son is 13 and was in the 6th grade last year.  Lots of homework and 6th grade was harder. This year in 7th he seems to be better.  We moved from Ohio to Kentucky right before 6th grade started and that was tough,but now he is fine. Will your son have a break from school soon for summer?  Know what you mean one day to the next new information about what we should and shouldn't eat or drink.

I was wondering if any of you gals who have the night/day sweats have kind of a stinging feeling when the sweat breaks the skin.  I have never had this until the chemopause started. I really don't know how to describe it other than that.  As the hot flash settles down and the sweat kind of dries the stinging feeling goes away.....so odd all this new stuff.

• burley
    edited May 2011
    Options

No stinging with my hot flashes-not that I've noticed anyway.

Kiwimum-glad you're feeling well!  Just eat what you want when you want-the weight can come off later.  I lost about 8 pounds during chemo because nothing tasted good-my mouth was screwed up the entire time.  And honestly, it still feels weird.

With this Arimidex, my weight has slowly crept up 10 pounds.  I hate it.  Nothing fits right but I refuse to go buy clothes.  Luckily my hubby loves me no matter what I look like.  :-)

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kiwimum, I agree with burly, during chemo eat whatever you want and can tolerate.  Worry about healthy eating once you are done.

Kmuraski, no stinging with my hot flashes, but now that the weather is warmer, I am literally wet, neck and back, totally gross.  Hope this improves with time.

burley, we are lucky, my hubby loves me reguardless if my hairless head, weight gain and grumpiness.  I think after 20 years I might just keep him.Wink

• sagina
    edited May 2011
    Options

Ok, I'm in the south Texas heat - and am a little more than halfway through with radiation - so did anyone else experience walking out into the heat (just to go from door to car) and immediately feel their skin "burning"? Then about 30 seconds later the back and arms itch like you can scrub them with a Brillo pad?  I had the red devil and taxotere and now radiation - don't know if this is a side effect?  I've lived here most of my life and have never had such a reaction to heat....

• sarah1968uk
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi there!

Kim - oh God, no, homework with my son, Dan, was hellish, as usual!  May even have been worse!  Ironically, he had to write a persuasive letter for English to his headmaster, asking him not to give the students so much  homework - please!!!  It was all a massive performance. Really thinking of talking to his school about it tbh as we have these probs a lot - we didn't even get onto exam study - fun for tomorrow!  We don't break up for the summer in England and Wales till end of July, I think Scotland is different though. The kids only have about 6 weeks off - yours have 3 months, is that right? Wow - no wonder you have to ship them off to camp and summer school! We don't really have that here - Dan does have a disability Sports Festival thing on for a week, but he doesn't stay over, just goes on the bus every day. It's really good, though, and not expensive. He likes his familliar routines and won't stay away from home for even a night, not even at his Nanna's house as he is convinced he saw a black panther there once on her upstairs landing!  I imagine it was just her cat!  He's a lovely boy - never a dull moment!

Hot flashes - well, haven't had the stinging feelings you describe, but do get unpleasant heart palpitations when they come on. And really sweaty everywhere on top half of my body : gross, as you say,  Christine.  Kiwimum, loads of people put weight on during chemo. - you often need the carbs to settle your stomach. You certainly don't look big in your picture, so I'm sure it's not too bad. It's better you feel well and you need to eat properly to keep your bloods up.

All the best, Sarah x

• KittyDog
    KittyDog Member Posts: 656
    edited May 2011
    Options

Sagina  I never thought about it but my back itch like crazy all during rads and into the fall.  It was just in one spot.  I kept a pencil, pasta fork, spoon and comb by my cumputer...they worked well.  lol  I finished my rads. July 2 last year and I live in SC.  So right there with you on the hot as h e l l.

• 37antiques
    37antiques Member Posts: 60
    edited May 2011
    Options

kmuraski - yes, my skin would sting, just before the sweat would break, then off course I was too busy trying to rip my skin off to notice what happened next.

sagina-my skin burns right away, if I am outside for more than 3 minutes I have a fine pink sunburn started.  We go to the beach during summer, and I have to sit under a tree, even then I get a burn, but I will freckle, blister and burn in direct light, even in a car. I'm watching an odd freckle now, smack dab in the center of my chest, seems to be growing, but none of the freckles have gone away, I never had them before. I think it is a reaction with the red devil, do you have fair skin as well?  My nurse told me to stock up on sunscreen and never go outside with my skin exposed.  Now that I am done with hot flashes it isn't so bad, but I am cold all the time too, so I usually wear a coat all year.  Yes, even when it's 80 out. *sigh*

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Thanks to you-all for the stinging response.  I guess maybe the chemo+radiation+fareston has maybe made my skin more sensitive???? I can feel the hot flash coming on like a wave .Yuck! That's ok though..I try not to complain,my sweat has never stung before.

Sarah1968uk- My son is counting the days..he has just one week and one day left! You are correct..he will not start again until August. We will go on vacation sometime during that time,he will golf and swim ,but that's about it. He is a homebody so loves the break from school.

Sounds like 6th grade for us lots of homework,projects,essays..not so much this year. Math is hard and I'm ashamed to say I can not do his math anymore....I'm no good at algebra....That's great that he has a sports camp he can look forward to.

Burley- I'm with you. The fareston I'm on has me putting on a little weight and luckily my husband  is very supportive and loves me anyway too. We have been married almost 17 years. I wish I didn't have to take anything,but will do as the doc says.

Sagina-/Kittydog  I always thought I wanted to live further south but holy cow the hot flashes combined with south Texas/South Carolina heat I might melt! ( LOL) When I break a sweat like that it does make me itch too...never before and I used to love hot hot weather..Maybe this too shall pass with time.

Hope all of you have a great start to the week-  Kim

• kiwimum
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi all. Can I ask what a hot flash feels like? Is it the whole body?

Since my last chemo I keep feeling like I'm running a low temperature. This is especially true on my head. My head gets hot and it seems to last longer than a flash. Am I having a hot flash or something else?

I can't add anything helpful about rads. I'm not due to start until October. I was working out this morning that I'll be finished chemo and rads by late Oct, early Nov. I'm wishing time to fly and it all be done!

• sarah1968uk
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Kiwimum!

With me, a hot flash starts with a sudden hot feeling all over, but mainly on my top half. Then, a kind of suffocating feeling where I have to strip off clothes/get cooler in bed quickly. Lastly,  sweating ; mostly on chest, neck, back . It's also all a sort of "rush" with pounding heart and a feeling like you've been exercising. Quite difficult to describe accurately!  It probably lasts about a minute or 2. I started with them on 2nd chemo. last year when I was 42 - so it's quite possible you are having flashes, esp. if you're not having periods and the head is def. involved in it all . Gosh, you've got a lot of treatment ahead. I'm stage 3c too after my recurrance. Maybe you could ask your breast care nurse, or equivalent where you are, about your concerns?  I'm always bothering mine! - she is a very calm and sane woman and always reassures me.

All the best, Sarah.

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Kiwimum,

Gosh I think a hot flash is so hard to describe...I don't know if each person may be different..for me it is kind of a slow wash over me,it does feel like my pulse may speed(not sure if that's real or just what I think I feel) then I feel the sweat begin to build that happens on my trunk ,neck,arms,head, and sometimes I think my legs if I'm under covers. It will last a minute or two then it is like the wave goes back out and I actually will get chilled then. I don't know if that helps or not.

I would be sure and take your temperature every now and then. At the end of chemo I did run a low grade fever I think it was because my gums were bothered by the taxotere and I had some infection there. I kept Popsicles on hand for the mouth issues. And I told myself ice cream bars were good for that!  You may not have any problems at all though everyone is so different.  Do take care of yourself,rest and eat what sounds good to you. It's great you have your chemo mapped out...and you will be there before you know it. Hope that helps some...

• burley
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hmm, my description of a hot flash...just an overwhelming sense of warmth that starts on my head and goes all the way down to the back of my knees.  I am the most hot on the back of my neck and in beetween my boobs.  Most of the time my face starts to get moist and then my damn glasses start to slide down my nose.  I literally carry a tissue in my pocket everywhere I go so I can mop my forehead and chin, and the sides of my nose where my glasses are.

I started having them right away with chemo, so I have no idea if I was ever running a fever or not.

I also had mouth issues with the Taxotere, and popsicles would have been a marvelous idea!

So...saw the PS today for a follow up.  Pointed out that I have an "indent" in my left boob right in my cleavage.  She said it tightened up and the only way to correct it is with surgery.  Holy crap, this would make surgery #8 within 16 months.  I would really like to be done, but my boob is really misshapen.  Ugh

• kiwimum
    edited May 2011
    Options

Burley - how disappointing. I totally empathise. 8 surgeries in 16 months is quite hard to fathom, I feel your pain.

Thanks for the hot flash descriptions. My "heat" does seem as sudden so I think maybe it's something else. I put it into the "more questions for my onc" pile.

My daughters are lying on the couch complaining of sore throats and feeling unwell.  I so hope they aren't getting sick as I can do without catching a bug.

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Burley- Hang in there is all we can do ...I so want to be done too.. I will be thinking of you and hope that each of us can celebrate the doneness of it all!!!!  I know that day will come.

Someone along the way told me about taking ice chips ( The soft ice ) with me to the taxotere treatments. I don't know if there is any truth to it but the idea is to keep your mouth cold and that is supposed to help.  I heard this a little too late for me but  maybe it could help someone else.

Hi Kiwimum- Take care of yourself....and wash those hands ( as if you don't know that ) Hope your girls will be better soon.  As for the heat you feel, You may want to keep track of your temp. Sometimes a quick call to the nurse can settle some of those questions and ease your mind.

Thinking of you- Kim

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hey everyone!  I hope you are all doing well.  I have skimmed through the posts, but have post-vacation brain fog and can't remember specifics of what I just read, so here is a general hello!

I just got home last night.  Had a wonderful vacation but man did it feel good to sleep in my own bed last night!   I have today off to recover from jet lag, run errand, etc before getting back to work and . . . . my first followup mammo since diagnosis!  Way to plan a welcome home to myself, lol.  I am surprisingly not at all nervous about it.  My only concern is that I still have quite a bit of soreness from radiation and I am afraid it will hurt a lot.

Well, I am off to unpack, buy groceries, read 2 weeks worth of mail, and further ignore the mess that is waiting for me at work tomorrow!

Have a nice day, ladies! 

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited May 2011
    Options

hi ladies still trying to recover from my first round of doxetaxol. thought this was supposed to be easier NOT.. Someone said on day 4 i might feel like i have been hit by a truck yep with the nausea I feel like crap I do not want to do this anymore I am thinking of pulling the pin i have done 4 rounds what on earth is another two of this torture really going to do. sigh sorry gals just really feeling down and sorry for myself hope your all doing better

hugs kymn

• sagina
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kymm, I had six rounds of AC/Taxotere together.  I'm triple neg too, and we were shrinking tumor first before surgery - I got to see it disappear from the mammograms....please hang in there...sending you lots of positive energy....with TN we just have to take what they can give, just a little more insurance for you.

Lot of Hugs to you!!!!!!!!!

gina

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi  Kymn,

I too did Taxotere and thought it would be the easy one.  I know what you are going through. No nausea for me ,did have the bone pain and headaches. You hang in there and know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.  When chemo is over...you do begin to get your real life back. Hopefully the onc can do something for the nausea???  There are meds to help with that.  I will be thinking of you.

Kim

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kymn - The taxanes are supposed to be great for TNs.  Try to hang in there. I wonder if you could switch from taxotere to taxol?  I understand them to be interchangeable.  Maybe the other would be better for you?