Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

Any 40-ish survivors?

Options

Comments

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2011
    Options

burley, that's great that your doc will do all those scans.  I wonder what the norm is?  Did others have PET or bone scan after chemo?  I personally did not.  I did have a breat MRI after chemo and before surgery. I asked about bone scan (I never had PET scan, my BS does bone scan instead) and they said no need since there was NED on first bone scan and chemo completely wiped out breast tumor.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited May 2011
    Options

I wouldn't use a random tattoo person either,  too scary!!! There are permanent cosmetic tattoo artists who also specialize in areola tattoo's.  I would always ask to see their work and for referrals from prior clients before allowing any work to be down.  That being said I still am not ready to get my nipple tat's yet...I am too much of a perfectionist and worry wart. There are also several women on this forum who are tattoo artists who but to the best of my knowledge they are closer to the east coast... 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2011
    Options

For those of you with nausea, the medication Emend worked wonders for me for the first three days, I'd go cold turkey after that - the Zofran knocked me out for three days the first time I took it and gave me an awful headache.  I will pass along something my MO was adamant about - the legal California remedy, I don't know how it's prescribed, but my MO asked if I smoked it.  I told her I don't, and she said she has to ask because smoking it can lead to a fungal lung disease since we have no immune system while in chemo.  She told me if I had been a partaker, she would prescribe something different for me. Just wanted to pass along the info. 

• simplesoul
    simplesoul Member Posts: 6
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kymm and ReadingMom, sorry to be late. I was off getting iv hydration and some kytrel to pass the time. I've had 3 TAC txs and 3 to go. Folks love to say halfway but I feel more like I've now got to repeat 100% of the past experience! Hydration and Ativan just might be my tickets out fornthese tougher days. But the medical cannabis industry is in full swing here in CA. And they have edible stuff plus atomizers, so no smoke/tar exposure. That's as much as I've found reading the net. I did see that grass doesn't seem to trump emend, zofran, compazine unless those just don't work. I do know u better not add zofran on days u get emend or aloxi or u r in for a headache. Well, guided imagery helps. Hilarious friends and message boards are good distractions too...

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited May 2011
    Options

Christine... My MO said he will start me on Tamox when I am done with all treatment, which will be well after chemo... if I have MX, then it would be in August, and I too am 98% ER/PR+... I am not sure why he'd wait for rads to end (if I go that route) but he said tamox can cause clotting and wouldn't want me on for a MX.

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    Options

Greetings to all you 40ish survivors !!! I just came across this thread and I am one of you =) I was dx at 37 and am now 43.. Whew...where did those 6 years go? I work p/t (24 flex 32 - hours per week) and have been employed by the same company for 23 years, have 1 husband (of 16 years ;-), and 2 children - DD 12 1/2 and DS 10. I was dx one day before my DS turned 4 - now my "baby" is 10. I'm just so grateful that I'm still here to say that and be with my family. I don't smoke (never have), and don't drink anything stronger than iced tea - but the latter is just a matter of preference. I do eat an occasional cheeseburger from Micky D's, and still eat deli meat in my sandwiches - just order low sodium and lower fat choices - if that even makes a difference in the big scheme of life.

I'll be happy to talk about s*e*x* - but since I've had a BSO in Dec of last year - my "drive" has been lacking. I'm def. working on getting some MOJO back. Perhaps once the hot flashes diminish, I'll feel a little sexier. I hope so anyway.

I have quite a few pages of posts to read to catch up with everyone. Please bear with me. TY for starting this thread Kim. When I was DX at 37, I felt so alone. I went to one of those "Look good, feel better" classes that the ACS sponsors and felt like an idiot. I was the youngest gal in the group (except for 2 of the hairdressers/make-up "artists"), and already knew how to fake a good eyebrow, LOL. All the other women were like my mom's age. To this day, I can't believe I even went to that session. Believe me, it was a one time thing. 

~Lori

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited May 2011
    Options

I wish I was at the stage of thinking about getting tattooed. My chemo is adjuvant. Mx was in March so I'm currently walking around with one slightly used, had 2 children, breast and one prosthesis.

I have to wait for recon until after chemo and rads. Definitely planning on perking up the 'old' one to match. I can't wait to wear a strappy sundress without a bra!

Lori, I was quite looking forward to going to Look Good Feel Better. The other boards I've read talked it being fun and that you get sent away with lots of free products. I'll let you know how it goes afterwards.

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2011
    Options

@KiwiMum RE: the "LG, FB" support group...I def. went into it thinking it was going to be fun, but in my case, it was more "funny" than actual fun. I wear make-up regularly and have for many years, so at this point, I think I'm pretty good at putting it on. I also have certain products that I favor, as well as certain colors, etc. You will leave there with a lot of free products as I did - many of which I ended up donating. I don't ever wear lipstick, and my kit had reds and browns in it, etc. In the one that I went to, there were two "make-up artists" and one gal who owned a wig shop. I already had a wig (and was wearing it...I still shudder at the thought and think I suffer from a little PTSD from even wearing one), so I was all set with that. As many of you probably have learned, as well as I did, not many people can stick any wig on their head and 'Look Good", LOL. I tried on SO many before I became one of the bald beauties, and the one I chose had to be cut and styled to my face. I also learned from the wig experience that I have a big head - HA HA. I joke with DH that my head needs to be big for all my knowledge to be contained within ;-).

I'm not saying I had an awful time at the LG/FB session, but with hindsight and all, probably would never had gone. I hope you have a good experience there.  

• sagina
    edited May 2011
    Options

Kimmom~ I had to go to the class to learn how to paint in eyebrows that didn't look too fake.  I got a couple of products in there I wouldn't have tried otherwise, like an Aveda lipstick.  I went a couple of weeks into the diagnosis, so I think I was just shell shocked.  Unfortunately there were 10 of us in the class and two were even younger than me. 

Lori~ big huge congrats on the six years out!  I can't wait to say that!!!!!!!!!!!

• Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132
    edited May 2011
    Options
    XRAY - LOVE your picture, I say that quite a lot and I believe was a pirate in a previous life!!!! Actually, the el cap e ton of a ship!!! LOL Now your thinking what the hell-bells she's a nutjob huh???!!! Nope, just a great sense of humor, outlook and go getter type of style....I'm 48 and LIVING and have kicked major booty with BC....so it's full steam ahead and hoist the sails mateys...it's gunna be one hell of a ride from here on out!!!Wink
  • rondajean
    rondajean Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2011
    Options

Good morning ladies! I had fun reading all the fun posts, thanks!  I meet my MO today, waited an extra week since I was told he is the best around.  I am nervous but anxious to get the show on the road! Both of my kids have bdays next week 28th and 25th.  So much to do... My first fill was tuesday and I feel so tight and awkward.  I wish I could snap my fingers and make this all go away.  I feel very emotional today.  PHUCK u BC!

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited May 2011
    Options

I agree Ronda!  PHUCK u BC!

Welcome Janyce and Lori.  Nice to have you here.

The lady I'm seeing today isn't a regular tattoo artist-she does permanent cosmetic makeup.  And apparently areola tattoos are her specialty.  Her office is in Scottsdale (Snotsdale as I call it), so she apparently makes some good money doing this.  We'll see if my insurance will approve any of it.  I'll let you know how it goes!

• burley
    edited May 2011
    Options

Yay me!  The tattoo artist usually charges $595 per breast, but she is only charging me $495 for both!  How awesome!  She said she believes evvery woman should have areolas, and also because my PS refers a lot of patients.  I'm so excited.  June 2nd is the day!

• o2bhealthy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Congratulations Kim!!!!

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi  Ladies,  I am new to the age of cyber chatting and not sure if it is ok to jump in your group.  I am 46 was diagnosed April 2010 at the age of 45.  I have a 13 year old son and I have been a stay at home mom.  In May 2010 I had blat mx with TE then on to 6 rounds of chemo followed by 28 rounds of radiation. Now on Fareston ( my body will not break down tamoxifen properly ). I have always taken care of myself.  No history of breast cancer in my family....only two months late with the yearly mamo...Found  what we thought was a small lump. When MX was done etc. the tumor was 2.4 and I had 4 lymph nodes with cancer so all of my lymph nodes were removed I am considered stage 3a.  Two weeks ago I had the switcheroo , at the time of surgery my white blood cell count was 2.4 so not sure what that is about onc will do another test June 1 to see where I am.  I have found this site helpful during chemo when headaches were an issue ( I thought for sure the cancer had moved right on to my head )  but I have never posted.  You- all are my age - and it sounds like you are like me too in that I will guilt myself with the drinking thing sometimes.  I do not drink that often but I have to say I really love an ice cold beer and a glass of wine every now and then.  Again hope it is ok to put my two cents worth in maybe we can all help each other in some way. -   Kim

• o2bhealthy
    edited May 2011
    Options

Welcome Kim (kmuraski)!!! You can jump in at any time...

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited May 2011
    Options
    Ugh, my daughter is being so emotional and fresh today Frown and she's only 11!  I'm doing good not reacting as I am extra, extra tired today from getting up early to go in for training at work, on top of being near the end of Rads.  We went for middle school parent orientation last night, it is definately going to be a whole nother world next year.
  • o2bhealthy
    edited May 2011
    Options

(((Meegan))) -  My DD is 12 (almost 13) going into 8th grade next yr, that transition to from elementary to middle school was tough for both of us.  Big changes for her and a little letting go for me... I was blessed that my DD made good choices in friends and that made all the difference, girls can be so cruel to each other in middle school (really any age), old loyalties can turn on a dime and ohhhh the drama...    

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi ladies round 4 was today, switched to doxotaxol so far just tired and groggy hopeing no sickness this go around just dont want to deal with it anymore, also could do without the deep deression that really sucks.will let you all know if I get bone pain. As for the LGFB class i too was the only one under 55. I am 41 and when I walked in there with my beautiful scarf and smoky eyes the lady said gee you dont need to be here lol. Well I knew I could have taught that class but hey its free products right :) . It was really nice to see how good it made the other women feel I have to admit so I ended up leaving smiling because of them oh and my free products lol.

Ok off to bed

Hugs to all

Kymn

• simplesoul
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi all. I'm 7 days out from tx 3 and it appears the less nausea I have, the more the zofran wakes me up! My mother calls it chattycathyzofranny. Eyebrows! That's the reason I'll attend the LGFB class, but I was blessed with lots to start with so they're hanging in there. When did others lose them?

Ok, can we talk s/e/x? Did anyone find the hiding spot for their libido during chemo? And what's with this desert sahara routine? My undies feel like sandpaper! Is that tmi?

• Kymn
    edited May 2011
    Options

simplesoul I just had round 4 and so far i have my eyebrows and eyelashes,even growing hair back on my head but I hear its coming and alot of women dont loose their eyebrows and eyelashes till the end some not even until after their last treatment so we shall see.

the week after chemo I am too tired for sex and doc says the first three days we shouldnt unless we use a condom. other than that its still hanging in.I did get a yeast infection which was so much fun but not any mouth sores yet.

right now am buzzing on steriods lots of fun

hugs Kymn

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited May 2011
    Options

I absolutely agree re: sex probs! I have been taking effexor anti-dep. - also known as  "no-SEX-or"!  for 11 years and this has not been good for that dept. Also - hysterectomy (not ovaries) after prolapse in '09 , 2x chemo - '08 and '10, rads to ovaries and now femara ( feb.11)  =  libido- zilch!  No desire, no orgasm without extreme, erm, "mechanical" measures and then pretty feeble compared to before!  Not good!  My son is also autistic (he's 12) and although high-functioning, he gets really wound-up around bed-time, doesn't get off till around midnight, and, subsequently, very late bedtimes for me and his Dad!  I have no answers to all this, hope you don't mind me sharing...

Sarahx

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi to the 40 ish gals,

I have come to this site many times for information etc but have never posted...started to yesterday but wanted to read all of your posts first.  Each one of you sound a bit like me in one way or the other.....so I hope for some I may be helpful in a small way and I hope to share this breast cancer journey with those that kind of get it if you know what I mean.  I was diagnosed in April 2010 not in my family only two months late with the yearly mamo...I had bilat. mx with tissue ex. At the time of surgery they found my tumor to be 2.4 cent. with 4 lymph nodes involved so all of my nodes were removed from that side. I am stage 3a. I had TE for a year while I did chemo 3 rounds 5-fluorouracil+cyclophosphamide+epirubicin (I know there's an easier way to say that but I can't remember how to put it) then 3 rounds taxotere then 28 rads. Everyone is so different in the way their bodies handle chemo for me the taxotere was harder on my bones and I had headaches too.  This web site helped me understand this to be common(thought the cancer had moved to my head!!) Waited to really heal up before moving on to the old switcheroo but did so just two weeks ago and wow I didn't know how uncomfy those Te were!!! I am on Fareston now because my body will not use tomoxifen correctly.  At the time of my switcheroo surgery my white blood cell counts were ony 2.4 so June 1 we will see what this is about... Gosh I could go on and on ...I too have a son he is 13 and such a great kid...I have two huge dogs ( English Mastiff rescues) and they are wonderful kinda hard to be in a bad mood around them.  I do not work I have just been home with our son.   I have a husband who is very supportive but I think its tough on them too. I'm trying to think if I left anything out....My tumor was grade 3.   I am er+  pr+ her- I am 45 and was 43 when diagnosed...I too have seen my body change since all this.  Have always been pretty fit. I think the fareston is making me hold water in my tissues.  I too have chemopause but may be the real deal as I have still 6months out have no signs of cycles returning. I too have the hot flashes....lets see what else....I too really enjoy a very cold beer ( I like landshark) and sometimes a glass of red wine I too tell myself .....he told you not to drink (onc) I hate that voice (lol)  Since chemopause I am more even now emotionally I too could be a little um roller coasterish right before periods and that has gone YEA!! What else...I guess really I would like to say for the gals who are in the middle of this stuff ...I get it ...I hope you will hang in there through chemo. Sometimes chemo seems like a billion years ago sometimes like yesterday. I hope I can chime in with you-all. I am such a cyber newbie I don't know how to add my picture and all that cool stuff you know how to do but I will work on it and chemo has caused some of the fog like brain issues.  Forgive me if I can not for the life of me remember how to spell ( it really is scarry sometimes the things I forget!!!!)  Take care --Kim  

• simplesoul
    edited May 2011
    Options

It just flattens me when I spend days feeling wired and nights not sleeping due to chemo and then they say watch out for fatigue due to radiation. Good grief!

Kymn, thanks for saying there is some option to chemocelibacy. I think sarah1986uk and I have the added chemical inhibitor of the antidepressant. She's right on about feeling like you have to push a rock uphill (and with mechanical help) only to get there and not be rewarded by much of a view.

I will say that the KY product Intense actually does what it says. It's expensive but often there are good coupons, and it's concentrated so you get lots of milage in one bottle. It helps that hill get shorter and the view get better. ;). I won't travel without it anymore.

Dry mouth anyone? Nights are the worst. Feels like I'm shedding inside sometimes. I have biotene toothpaste and spray and even gel. The mouth rinse hurts when I'm this dry. Tongue feels like itnhas fissures but no sore. And I do the salt/baking soda rinses. Any other thoughts?

Hey Kymn, what did you get done on the steroids?

• Kymn
    edited May 2011
    Options

welcome Kim so glad you chimed in I also did FEC (thats the short name) first and have just started doxotaxol yesterday. I hated FEC it was brutal on me but woke up this morning not feeling sick to my tummy yet so thats a good sign hoping not to get the bone pain we shall see.

Simplesoul I got sweet piss all done lol just fuming over my DH's insensitivity. Was out the night before chemo when out last night I just dont know if I would be better off doing this alone than havin to deal with the stress. Prolly not the best time to make any life changing decisions but it will get addressed after.

love to you all

• sagina
    edited May 2011
    Options

I think chemocilacy hit by DH not me....I think he sees me as a patient now....not a desirable cancer kicking it's ass while working full time changing my lifestyle super woman that I really am!

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi Kym ,Thanks for the welcome.  FEC made  me feel  kind of sick to my stomach for the first two days.  I did take Emend and usually I would kind of bounce back after.  The taxotere may not bother you at all.  So many people told me that was the easier of the two but my body does not seem to follow what is "normal".  I hope you will get through them with no problem! 

• burley
    edited May 2011
    Options

Welcome Kim!  I'm glad you found us, and feel comfortable posting.  You did a great job of adding your picture :-)  You got here right in the  middle of a conversation about sex.  Lol

SEX!  What's that?  Let me count the number of surgeries I've had starting with the BMX in January of 2010...uh, 7 if I'm not mistaken.  My point...I've had an obvious recovery period after every one of them where I wasn't allowed to have sex for 3-4-6 weeks.  Then lets throw in 6 months of chemo, where I was as dry as sandpaper.  We managed to fit it in here and there during all of that, although I always wore a bra (sad).  I don't think my husband looked at me like he did before when I was bald and had no eyelashes or eyebrows.  I definitely looked like a chemo patient.  It picked up again between Sept-Nov, then I had another surgery.  Recovery, picked up for a month over Christmas then another surgery.  The hardest wait was after I had my ovaries out in February and I wasn't allowed to have sex for 6 weeks.  Then right when it was ok, I had my nipples done.  And let me tell you, those nipple shields for 2 weeks are enough to scare any man away.  It's picked up again now.  But yes, I am still dry as the Sahara so KY is a must.  And I hate that.  Feels so unnatural, but hey-that's what it's there for.

I feel better about my looks now that I have nipples, but it will never be the same.  I definitely don't feel as sexy as I did before.  The tattoos will hide some of the scar but obviously not all of them.  And I have an extra scar on one boob because of a small lump that was taken out in January (benign,)

I always felt sexy before.  Just in general.  Pretty face, tall and thin, cute hair...now I feel like I look like a boy except for the boobs.  I aged during chemo, so I wear my glasses 24/7 to hide the deep, dark circles under my eyes. Cute clothes only go so far.  They do mask my mushy body ok.  Sad.

I went to a Mary Kay makeover party last week and I was dying inside.  Everyone looked so awesome but we couldn't find any cover up that would actually hide the circles.  We all had before and after photos taken and I made her erase mine. 

Hmmm, ok...that's enough of a pity party to last me a while.  Think I'll go play with my dog.  Nothing like a sound face licking to make you feel better!

• kmur
    edited May 2011
    Options

Burley,

Thanks for the welcome.  I know what you mean about your eyes.  I have dark circles too.  But for many many months I really didn't sleep well.  Just now since the switch out ...I feel more comfortable.  I did loose my eyelashes but not all of my eyebrows.  Having my eyelashes back feels better.  I guess it will take time to get back to what feels more normal.  I know what you mean about your dog.  I have two great big ones laying by my feet right now.....I love them!! Hope you have a good weekend and thanks.

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited May 2011
    Options

Hi all!

Thanks, Simplesoul, I will look for KY Intense - not sure it's available here in Britain- but I'll look round online - worth a try!  Hugs and Good luck to all you 40-somethings out there going through chemo./rads etc - I don't envy you. I've had chemo.twice - FEC and Taxol - 2 years apart. Both were awful in their own way. Rads too twice - very tiring!  Had no treatment now since last Sept. - phew!  Been NED  - stage 3c/stage 4? - for 8 months and although a constant worry recurrance-wise - loving not being on active treatment! Looking forward to going on vacation in a week's time and actually being able to swim/ go in hot tub/bathe in sea without feeling lousy from chemo.or having PICC line in my arm like last time. Mind you, weather here in UK very unpredictable, which is a pain, but still lots to do where we go. Wishing you all strength until your normal lives return.

Love, Sarah.