Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Lisa - I know I'm lucky.  I didn't find AC quite so easy but Taxol for me has been good. Every week I watch other ladies either stop early or complain about their SE's and thank goodness it's not me.

I just was talking on the phone to a friend with BC. She has not had a response from chemo but just got good news from the BS.  He has said he can now operate and hopefully remove it all.  I am so happy for her - I have been worrying and this is the first good news they've had in a while.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

I too went to an all girl school.  It was good, but looking back I think we went a bit boy crazy whenever we saw boys.  I think at a co-ed school having both genders around you every day makes the other sex "normal" and stops some of the craziness. 

I too am having to think about whether to send my oldest to a co-ed or unisex school in 18 months.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

Well, I was telling the cancun story just because it popped in my head and is funny, but I suppose it has some relevance to the boys school discussion.  The moral of that story is that if you are around topless women all the time (like in european countries) then you do not turn into a mushy puddle of drool at the first site of a breast.  LOL.  So, I vote for coed too.  Balance is good.

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

I am back for a few minutes here...my son was sharing some stories with me...boys (in my case) don't share too often so I wanted to listen to him

Kiwimum  it is really hard trying to decide...it costs as much as college in some cases. So we are really looking for a sign I guess.

i am so happy you have not had problems with the Taxol..Taxotere was harder on me. You are doing very well. Good news about your friend too

• kmur
    edited September 2011

You know Lisa ...that has been my thinking...do you remember when we were 18 and could drink? I sometimes think when you can not do something you want to do it even more...does that make sense...I guess I want balance as you said...learn control or something...

• bcisnofun
    bcisnofun Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2011

Hi ladies - can I join?  I'm 45 with a wonderful husband, 7 year old son and a dog.  I just finished chemo almost 3 weeks ago.  Started Tamoxifen on Sunday. 

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Kim - that is exactly correct.  When you can't drink you drink to excess.  I studied italian a few years ago and my teacher (from rome) commented on the propensity for americans to get drunk.  She said it is always surprising to italians when americans go out in italy and drink too much, because italian rarely do that.  She attributes it to the fact that italians drink from an early age.  Wine is part of the meal.  So it is really never a big deal and not something that they do in excess.  There are exceptions I am sure, but generally speaking, that is what she has seen.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi bcisnofun....I'm sure you will enjoy  the ladies here. Congrats on finishing chemo

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

bc - welcome and please join in.  congrats  on finishing chemo!  we are on a bit of a bizarre but funny tear tonight so enter at your own risk!  :)

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2011

Welcome, bcisofun! You just missed a great conversation about who shows what to whom!

• Eema
    edited September 2011

And yes, congrats on finishing chemo!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Thank you to everyone for their input on co ed  vs. uni.... My thinking was leaning to co ed but....still could not decide.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Lisa I have a friend ...she is Italian and she says the same thing wine with luch wine anytime...I think it is just no big deal. 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

You girls are fast typers I can't keep up

• Eema
    edited September 2011

I have a friend from Rome who says the same thing. She also drinks espresso at night, but now I'm thinking the win e must put her to sleep!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

bc....we have been talking about how many people have seen our  breasts these days....so funny to us

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Eema, You are prolly right....all that wine counteracts the espresso...but I have heard Italian espresso does not have as much caffeine as ours  ...is that true or did I make that up?

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited September 2011

Oh , can I join in?  

I have no problem with showing them to anyone or talking about them, etc...  I have even caught myself massaging them in front of a few people folks.  I use to be so self conscience about them, because they were large before, and being somewhat athletic, they bounced around alot and were the subject matter of many of jokes (and I went to a co-ed Catholic high school).   

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

Alright ladies.  This has been fun, but I have to get up early tomorrow.  Good night!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi proudmom....I did not have the "problem " of mine being bigger  I wish...they were always small...I have not massaged yet but I have touched them while gesturing to make my point while talking about BC and I couldn't tell you how many people have seen them in the varied stages....

• lrr4993
    edited September 2011

I can't stop!!! Just real quick - welcome proud mom and yes, I too find myself constantly feeling mine too.  It is not as bad as it used to be.  Just after I was diagnosed I felt them nonstop trying to find other lumps.  I was in the pharmacy one day and noticed that as I was standing there in the aisle I had put my hand down my shirt and was feeling my lump.  LMAO.  I was so embarrassed.  Thankfully no one saw my self-groping.  

Now, I really do need to get some sleep. 

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Goodnight Lisa....Thanks for the laughs!! It is getting to be my snack time with my boy!!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Lisa   I do that all the time in the car!! I'm scared I will be arrested someday!!

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2011

Hi I just made 49 do I qualify to be in this group.I am the Mom of a 19 and 23 year old and a 73 year old mom who is becoming very forgetful so I am trying to take care of her too!. Any other "sandwich" single ladies here and how do you handle it?

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Hi dixiebell...welcome we have been very crazy this evening ....

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

Back to the coed v single sex... After attending single sex, I did NOT want my kids at a single sex school... I love my HS friends.. and after 30 years we are still all close, and having our 30th reunion in two weeks... BUT I think you want yourkids learning real world exeriences... the real world has both sexes and you need to know how to work and live together, so that is my perspective... Of course, as I said, I boarded, so even my after school hours were single sex... So, when I went to college... OH BOY, watch out. And I was in New Orleans, so it was crazy!!!

Welcome Dixie and bcisnofun!!! Dixie, now we are on many threads together!!

• kmur
    edited September 2011

Thanks Betsy...I am taking it all in and waiting for this big sign to whop me upside the head!

dixiebell...I'm sorry you are having to go through this and your mom too.

• kmur
    edited September 2011

bc...I am 45 so we are close in age ...welcome to you..tonight has been really fun and I look forward to your posts ladies....you will find the girls here to be so kind and funny too. Welcome to you both. I will have to go now though it really is snack time for me and my young man.

thanks to you girls ....it is fun to chat with you all

goodnight,

Kim

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

And Dixie... My dad has memory issues too... and also having physical problems.. and my kids are 19 and 16....

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited September 2011

Hi girls got alittle laundry done, but knew I was missing the fun.  Welcome those who just joined.  My boys are in coed private school, amazes me what some parents believe their kids are or are not doing just because it is a private school.

Hi Dixe, Have you made the dreaded chemo decision yet?  You look so young in your picture.

I wonder if my boys will be scared for life after seeing my new boobs.  Hopefully the experience will make them sensitve men.  Don't call social services, they have just caught me a few times running to laundry room or in my bathroom (they never knock).