Any 40-ish survivors?

Comments

• Oki88
    Oki88 Member Posts: 6
    edited September 2011

profbee - your story of your son and the gingerbread... bless his heart! It amazing what kids at those ages really know and how they feel. Irr -- My dad passed away from emphysema 6 years ago.My nephew was around 5 yrs old at the time. He knew papaw was sick and went to visit him when he was in the hospital, etc. My nephew was upset when he passed away but he seemed to be ok, my sister was very open about everything with him. About 6 months after my Dad passed, my sister was teaching him how to ride his bike without training wheels. Once he got a good run on it, he got off his bike, looked up to the sky and said "See papaw I did it! Aren't you proud of me?" and he bursted into tears. When my sister told me this I think I cried like a baby for hours! We didn't realize how much the death had affected him.

christine47 - no chemo, no rad. As for the expansion, so far so good...but I am having an US done on my left side on Monday. My PS thinks there may be some fluid on the front of the TE but she wants to make sure before sticking a needle in there. I think there might be a small leak in it because it doesn't seem to have the same volume. 

burley -- french fries -- YUM!

bdavis - sorry to hear about your father in law. My condolences!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

betsy - So sorry to hear about your father-in-law.  

prof - Jack sounds adorable.  My nephew used to be like that.  He is now 7 and has a bit of teenager attitude going on.  But he is still my baby.  And the comment to his friend about your boobies - that was hysterical.  I laughed out loud.

Oki - That story about your nephew is so sad!  Several months after my grandmother died my nephew, out of no where, asked my mom about my grandmother and where did she go.  My mom told him that she went to heaven.  Andrew then asked why she did not say goodbye.  My mom started crying.  

I hate to sound morbid, but about the only thing that puts me in tears anymore about cancer is the thought of how it would hurt my niece and nephew if it were to come back and I were to die.  I am very close to them and I cannot bear the thought of having to put them through that.  :(

Wow, what a bummer of a conversation tonight ladies.  :)  Somebody needs to tell a funny boob story right about now. 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited September 2011

I let my friend touch my breasts today in a parking garage... LAUGH away.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited September 2011

bdavis - so sorry about your father-in-law.  

Oh, when I was trying to decide between saline and silicone implants an aquaintance of mine flashed me her breasts and said "take a feel, these are saline ... go on ... really squeeze them".  Seriously it was wierd, then I said OK, and got a good feel and decided then and there I would go with saline implants. 

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Its kind of weird... I am normally very conservative, wouldn't undress in a locker room kind of girl... and now?? I guess on a certain level, I feel they aren't my breasts... I have my breast skin filled with fat from my butt and abs... so not really breasts... BUT when I am all done, I will hope I DO think of them as my breasts.

• kiwimum
    kiwimum Member Posts: 485
    edited September 2011

Betsy - sorry to hear about your father in law. My thoughts are with you and your DH.

Today I've felt crappy. Tired and nauseous, and after 10 Taxols and thinking all is great my fingers have started feeling odd and numb. I guess it was to be expected. Here's hoping for a better day tomorrow.

On a good note, my weight watchers is going well. I'm sure my stomach feels smaller already.

No French fries for me!

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited September 2011

Sorry you are feeling bad, Kiwi.  That sucks.  Have you been using ice on your hands/feet?  I did that during my infusions and I had absolutely no problems.  Of course, it may have just been luck instead of the cold.  I did not do taxol, but did taxotere which I think is known for the neuropathy as well.  We took a cooler full of frozen peas for my infusion and used ace bandages to wrap my hands and feet with the bags of peas.  We made quite a scene in the infusion room, but I did not care.  Anything to prevent SEs!

Well, I am heading out shortly for Tallahassee for the big Florida State/Oklahoma game.  I am so excited.  I love football in general, but this game is HUGE.  And it is a home game at night.  Other than the big games every year with our two biggest rivals, it does not get any better than this!!  And, for the first time since I was 5, I did not make it to any games last year because of chemo.  So, to add to the excitement, it is my first game since 2009.  Woohoo!!! 

Have a good weekend everyone!

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Lisa, I also used frozen peas for my taxotere infusions, and had NO problems at all... But Taxol is more known for the neuropathy... I also was told to take vitamin B-50 when I expressed concern about tngling in my feet at night... I used the peas to protect my nails, but i think it protected my hands and feet as well... I don't know if the B-50 healped, but all tingling stopped and have been fine.

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    edited September 2011

KiwiMom - I'm way behind in pages here, but I'm glad you liked "Anti-Cancer - A New Way of Life" by  Dr David Servan Schreiber.  I have taken it out of the library, but haven't started it yet.  I want to start small steps of changes.  I've started first by walking, so I'm trying for 10,000 steps a day (@ 1 1/2 hrs), split over the day, including 4/week 40 min "fast" walk.  So far, pretty good, but now I need to start to think about nutrician.

• proudmom_wife
    edited September 2011
    KiwiMum - My oncologist recommended 50 mg of B6/B12 twice a day when I first started chemo and then for at least a year after Taxol treatments are done.  Also during my Taxol I took L-Glutamine power, 5mg twice a day everyday.  The only times I have felt numbness or tingling was when I thought maybe I was being paranoid and so I stopped, then I started taking it again and the numbness and tingling stopped. I know everyone responds differently to differnt things.  Hope this helps.
  • kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Hi all,

Betsy...so sorry about your father-in-law...thinking of you and your family this evening.

Kiwimum  I'm sorry that Taxol has got you a little down. I hope you feel better soon

Lisa, be careful driving....and I hope you really enjoy that game. We have two games to follow this weekend ...one High school and also UK will play UL ....should be fun

Today was such an odd day...I was on my way to the grocery to prepare a cheese tray and so on to celebrate Friday with my husband who had been out of town on business all week and unfortunately I witnessed a horrible car accident and it was very unsettling to me .. not sure one of the ladies involved will be ok.... so be careful all and I hope you all have a good weekend.

Kim

• ReadingMama
    edited September 2011

Betsy - so sorry about your father-in-law.

Finally got caught up, your girls are so funny, sorry I missed the conversation a few nights ago.  Agreed, that I seem to take my shirt off as soon as I get into any doctors office now, without even thinking!!  Happy Friday, have a good weekend everyone!

• kiwimum
    edited September 2011

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice ladies. I've been taking B6, L-Glutamine and Acetyl L-Carnitine faithfully. Who knows if it has worked and this may have come on sooner if I hadn't. I'm determined will finish the 12 so will just get thru the next few weeks.

Kim, poor you witnessing a car accident. I hope you're not too traumatized.

Enjoy the game Lisa and your cheese board Kim.

We are off out for dinner tonight with friends so I will take more nausea meds if I need to. I've been looking forward to it all week.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited September 2011

Betsy-I'm sorry to hear about your father in law.  I hope your husband is doing ok.

Love this group-love the laughs, happy to provide a few of my own.

I also will show my boobs to just about anyone-especially after I got the nipples and tattoos.  Probably because they feel so foreign to me it's like showing someone an object, that happens to be attached to my body.  When I was going through chemo I went out to lunch with a girlfriend and she felt me up in the parking lot...right in front of the door.  Hahahaha.  I also was not good at undressing in front of people in a locker room setting, but that's all changed.  It seems like every appointment or scan I go to I'm undressing or a part of me is exposed.  Especially with all the surgeries where you're walking across Pre-op with those lovely hospital gowns that are open to the back...while you're wearing your special blue, non-slip surgery socks.  Awesome sight.  I always get lucky and catch sight of some old guy's wrinkly ass.  Mental picture-there's your laugh!

OK, now I'm wondering where Kymn and Michelle went...maybe I'll PM them to make sure they're ok. 

I hope everyone has a terrific weekend-do something fun, eat something sinful, take a nap or two.  We deserve it!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Kim LOL! Thank you!

How bout visiting with my RO, the nurse didn't give me a gown for a check up.  He says he needs to take a look and asked if I needed a gown.  I said no, pulled up my shirt and ask him if he wanted to un-hook me!  We got a great laugh in together!

• ReadingMama
    edited September 2011

My MO doesn't give gowns at all it seems.  When its time for that part, she just unhooks and I lift my shirts.  If I have a sweater on, I usually take that off first. I don't even think about it anymore...

• burley
    burley Member Posts: 248
    edited September 2011

Talked to Kymn-she's doing OK.

Talked to Michelle, she's doing OK as well.  I think all of us need to step back and take a break from all the BC talk from time to time.

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited September 2011

sorry I havent been around for awhile DH left me said cancer changed me and my heart is breaking so I cant really focus right now, I do think of you all

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2011

Oh, I'm so sorry, Lynn, and we haven't even met! :(

My R fill port migrated under my implant in my underarm, and it is, needless to say, hurting. Hugs to all my BC sistas! Today I got to meet my "pal" through a local BC organization. It is nice to have you all with me through this journey.

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited September 2011

Stupid autocorrect! Kymn, not Lynn!

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    edited September 2011

How awful for you Kymn!!! I am so very sorry that you are now heartbroken on top of everything else....Ain't life a bitch??? I hope you have a supportive family and good friends. They will be invaluable at this time. Thinking of you, and hope that you can re-group yourself soon. Remember, YOU are most important at the moment. Try to stay calm and take deep breaths!!! xxx

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Oh Kymm... So so sorry... I have heard of men doing this with women in cancer treatment... I guess conflict is when we see people's true colors... so you are better off without him... We are all here for you!!!

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    edited September 2011

Kymm, cancer does change us -it makes us stronger - maybe it scares the men....

• proudmom_wife
    edited September 2011

Kymm, stay strong.  I hope this might help.  My cousins' DH left her in the middle or her treatment for another woman.  She took her anger and hurt and turned it into positive energy to get healthy and make positive changes in her life.  She is now a 20+ year survivor, healthy, happy, and married to an awesome guy.  She says for her, one of the silver linings with her cancer was to really learn that the type of man she first married was wrong, and how her life so much better now.

We are all here for you. 

• sarah1968uk
    sarah1968uk Member Posts: 327
    edited September 2011

So sorry to hear your news, Kymn. I agree with Gina and Betsy. Hope you have good support at home: we are all here for you online. Stay strong.

Love, Sarah x

• kiwimum
    edited September 2011

Kymn, I am so sorry you are having to deal with this on top of everything else.  What a fool your DH is!

He will wake up one day and kick himself for being such an idiot.  When he comes grovelling back you will be too busy and happy with your life to be interested. It doesn't feel like it now but in the long run you will be better off on your own than with someone who can't give you support at a time when you need it the most.  Please know that we are all thinking of you and are here for you.

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited September 2011

Hi Kymm My BF dumped me right before my mastectomy. So I understand and I am so sorry. You are so beautiful and he is a complete moron. And gee you think maybe if we cut of his D_ _ _ he may be in a bad mood sometimes. Geez Sorry I find this to be is the worst betrayal ever. I left my first husband because he had a girlfriend 16 years younger than me and honestly what my BF did hurt more. You deserve better and you will get better!!!! My friends all keep telling me in times of true tests does the real man come out! Sorry if I got carried away but I am so mad for you!!! And would any woman be stupid enough to be with a guy who deserted a sick wife, if so they deserve him!!!

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2011

(((Kymn))) so sorry you are having to deal with the added stress of DH leaving...

• bdavis
    edited September 2011

Ok.... DH means DEAR husband?? Or DARLING husband?? So Kymm's husband needs a new abbreviation... like F***ING A**HOLE husband... (FAH) Just my two cents.

• o2bhealthy
    o2bhealthy Member Posts: 1,089
    edited September 2011
    Actually in that connotation DH meant DICK HEAD!  Those two letters  have so many meanings depending on ones mood Surprised