Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results? Start Here

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,020
    Options

Sending you hugs, su1977! You are not alone! We sincerely hope that everything is benign, and maybe you'll get some more information tomorrow when you talk with the surgeon. Also, perhaps you could get on a list for cancellations and they can get you in earlier. The waiting is the worst!! We are here for you. Please keep us posted. 🤗

• su1977
    su1977 Member Posts: 6
    Options

Hi, I met with my surgeon today and she was very nice woman. She looked at the two reports and said that the shadowing of the mass is what is worrisome. Though the mammogram looks like it could be calcification or scaring but cannot say for sure without the biopsy.

Now I have to wait, but I have to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.

• su1977
    Options

Hi All, I had a biopsy done yesterday, now waiting for test results. The wait is so difficult :(

Hopefully will know soon!

• moderators
    Options

@su1977, we're thinking of you, and crossing fingers for benign results! 🤞

The Mods

• su1977
    Options

Thank you Mods and to everyone for your support. Though its hard to not think about it 😞 but will try and keep myself distracted over the weekend as much as possible.

How long does it usually take to get results? The folks told me it sometimes takes a week :(

• moderators
    Options

It really depends! 5-7 days seems to be pretty typical, hopefully you'll have your results soon.

• flowergirl1975
    flowergirl1975 Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi su1977- My biospy results took about 3 days. I had it done on a Friday (late afternoon) and got the results that next week on like a Wednesday. I've heard it can depend on if they do the testing there or at a different facility. Waiting is the absolute worst!!! Try to keep yourself and your mind busy!! I will keep my fingers crossed that your results come back ok :-) Hugs!

• su1977
    Options

Thank you mods and Flowergirl!

knowing that helps so much :) Will keep you all posted, really appreciate the support this community provides to so many of us during these tough times, hugs to you all :-)

• su1977
    Options

Hi All, I got my results and its benign breast tissue. Thank you all for the support and words of encouragement. It is so good to have a community to lean on, thank you!

They have asked me to do a follow-up US in 6 months. I think that is normal for those with dense breasts? its scary but guess follow-up is good to detect early stages of cancer…….

Again thank you all, stay connected, you are all wonderful and strong!

• moderators
    Options

GREAT news, @su1977!! Thank you for coming back to update us.

• fer24
    fer24 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello,

I recently had a MRI and now I have to get 2 biopsies on Monday. The waiting is killing me as this has been going on for a month (the waiting). Sudden pain on my right breast started about a month ago, lump was felt by myself and 2 doctors but was not seen in ultrasound or mammogram (was told I have dense tissue) so MRI was ordered by breast surgeon and this are the results. By reading them and googling some of the stuff I’m now very concern and almost certain this might be cancer, my grandma passed from breast cancer 5 years ago so this brings back a lot or painful memories as well.

FINDINGS: There is moderate background enhancement. This limits evaluation. The breast tissue is heterogeneously dense. Right breast: There is a focal area of masslike enhancement in the central anterior breast, 4 cm from the nipple measuring approximately 2.1 x 1.8 cm (image 32, series 400). There is additional non masslike enhancement extending anteriorly toward the nipple (image 246, series 400). There is associated nipple inversion present. There is an enlarged lymph node measuring approximately 3.6 x 2.0 cm in the right axilla with preserved fatty hilum and eccentric focal cortical thickening of 1 cm (image 137, series 7), indeterminant. This corresponds with the previously imaged lymph node in the right axilla, 15 cm from the nipple seen on breast ultrasound dated 5/4/2023. There is no abnormal skin enhancement or skin thickening. Left breast: There are no suspicious areas of enhancement. There is no nipple inversion, lymphadenopathy, abnormal skin enhancement or skin thickening.

• fer24
    fer24 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello,

Nor sure if I’m posting this the right way but hoping someone is able to help.

I started experiencing sudden pain on my right breast last month and felt a lump while examining my boob right behind my nipple. I went to see my doctor who felt it as well and sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound.

Nothing was seen in the mammogram and the ultrasound only showed an enlarged lymph node but the doctor there felt the lump as well and since they couldn’t see it with the mammogram or ultrasound sent me to see a breast surgeon. (They stated I have de se breast tissue)

Breast surgeon sent me for an MRI with and without contrast and I got a call the same day from the surgeon stating they did found a mass and confirmed the enlarged lymph node and want to biopsy both. I’m getting the biopsies this coming Monday but the waiting is killing me.

My grandma passed from breast cancer 5 years ago and this is bringing back a lot of memories and pain.

Reading my report there are a lot of things that make me think it is breast cancer but I’m trying to stay positive. I’m mainly concerned about the fact that besides the mass there are other areas on enhancement, an inverted nipple and the lymph node has an eccentric focal cortical thickening of 1 cm.

If anyone is familiar with this terms or had a similar experience I will really appreciate any feedback.

• moderators
    Options

@fer24 - Welcome to the BCO community. We are sorry that your present concerns have brought you here, but glad you found us!

We know it's scary, and the waiting is truly one of the hardest parts, but please, keep in mind that many, many biopsies come back benign, so there's still hope! For now and if you want, you can read about what to expect in the Biopsy section of the main Breastcancer.org site.

Good luck, we're thinking of you!

The Mods

• moderators
    Options

@fer24 Just checking in on you — have you received any more information since your biopsy on Monday? Keep us posted!

—The Mods

• gm51
    gm51 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 31
    Options

On 1/25 I underwent a biopsy of 5 mm nodule that wasn’t detected by my yearly mammogram. Thankful that my doctor investigated further, but am extremely anxious because I haven’t received the pathology report nearly a week later.

• moderators
    Options

Sending hugs to you while you wait, @gm51. Please come back and let us know what you find out, when you find out. Thinking of you!

—The Mods

• gm51
    Options

Thank you, Mods!

• gm51
    edited February 2
    Options

Sadly, I’ve been promoted to “newly diagnosed”. 5 mm nodule—radiology report says that type unable to be definitively determined: 1) invasive ductal: 2) invasive papillary; 3) in situ. Estrogen and progesterone reactive. Excision recommended. Appointment with surgeon next week. 🥺

• moderators
    Options

Oh, @gm51 we're so sorry to hear this news. But please know you've found the BEST place for support while you wait for more answers. Once you know more about what you're dealing with and get a treatment plan in place, you'll feel a little better. In the meantime, we're all here for you! Let us know how we can help.

—The Mods

• mommapeach
    mommapeach Member Posts: 2
    Options

I marched into my screening mammogram on Monday, 3/4/24, thinking lets get this over with for another year. I've been getting screening mammograms since I was 35 as my mom was diagnosed with BC at 49. Well here I am 49 and my mammogram shows 3 asymmetries. 1 In the right breast and 2 in the left. I have a diagnostic mammo and ultrasound tomorrow 3/7/24.

I'm not new to call backs thank to having cysts (lumpy boobs) but this time feels different and I don't know why.

• needs.a.nap
    needs.a.nap Member Posts: 190
    Options

Oh @mommapeach. I truly hope it’s all benign and you can put it behind you for another year. But I’m sorry for this and how it feels and the possibilities. I know the clock is ticking so slowly while you wait for tomorrow’s appointment. Can you have someone go with you?

• moderators
    Options

Hi @mommapeach and welcome to Breastcancer.org.

We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. As you can already see, there are many members here always willing to offer advice, enouragement, and support — if it turns out you need it!

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending good vibes for benign results. In the meantime, try to keep yourself busy and stay calm. We look forward to your update!

—The Mods

• mommapeach
    mommapeach Member Posts: 2
    Options

@needs.a.nap My fiance is going with me. As for the clock…I'm ready to shoot it cause I think it has stopped🙄. The waiting is the worst.

• needs.a.nap
    Options

Hi @mommapeach. Oh good! Having someone will be nice support. Sorry about the stupid clock! Waiting really is the worst. Finding something to distract yourself and help pass the time is what we’ve all learned we need.

• legalpretzel
    legalpretzel Member Posts: 2
    Options

I’m 46, BI-RADS 5. Biopsy was Wednesday, they said 3-5 business days for results. Waiting isn’t my thing, and the anxiety has left me useless at work. Every time I sit down to my laptop, I wind up refreshing my patient portal to see if the pathology results have dropped.

I’ve told a few people and everyone tells me to be positive. I get that’s what people say in these situations, but it really doesn’t help. It just makes me feel like I’m in this alone.

• moderators
    Options

Hi @legalpretzel, and welcome. We're so sorry for the worries that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. You're sure to get great support here — if it turns out you need it.

Keep in mind also that a very substantial percent of biopsies turn out to be benign — only about 20% of biopsied concerns turn out to be cancer — that means about 80% chance of benign results. So, the numbers are in your favor.

We know the waiting is the worst part. Try to keep yourself busy until you have your results to keep your mind from wandering.

We're here for you while you wait, and we're sending good thoughts to you! Please keep us posted as you learn more.

—The Mods

• needs.a.nap
    Options

Hi @legalpretzel. I’m really sorry. The wait is agonizing! I have a feeling you’ve already looked up what Bi-rads 5 means. Yes, there is a chance it’s benign, but a smaller one. You won’t have to be alone if this turns out to be anything!! This is a nice place to find understanding and support.

Everyone also tried to encourage me to think positively (I was Bi-rads 5 also) and I appreciated their hopefulness but personally I wanted to brace myself for the worst and make adjustments to my (self-employed) work schedule right away in anticipation of it being cancer. I figured if I prepared myself and took care of things in advance and it turned out to be benign, well then I could celebrate and enjoy a relaxing vacation. Keeping busy helped me pass the time while waiting. Although this process hasn’t been fun, it’s very doable and knowing others have gone through the exact same thing has helped.

I wish you all the best. Take care and please let us know how things turn out.

• hoopie
    hoopie Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi, @legalpretzel.

This is my first time ever posting on this site, but I read your post and thought it was a sign for me to chime in.

In February 2021, I too was Bi-rads 5 and waiting for those three to five business days to pass so I could call my primary care doctor's office to get the results of my biopsy.

I'm an attorney, so my whole working life has been "hope for the best, but prepare for the worst." I spent my time calling up my insurance carrier to see what I might need to do, coverage wise. My husband knew what was going on, but I didn't tell family or friends because I just was not prepared to take them on this roller coaster ride. I also didn't want to hear well-meaning exhortations of "be positive." It's hard to "be positive" when you are kind of in shock.

End of story, it did turn out to be breast cancer (but that's not your story). However, it is now March 2024. I'm still here, still living my life as are all of the women on these boards.

Whatever your outcome, there is a tremendous amount of support here for you. You are not alone.

• dori61
    dori61 Member Posts: 8
    Options

I am terrified..recalled … getting diagnostic mammogram and ultrasound…. I already suffer from anxiety disorder from past experiences. Any advice/help encouragement appreciated..

• jkint1
    jkint1 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hello,

I’ve had this “ mass” since 2022 in my left breast , having ultrasounds every 6 months . In March 2023 they said it was benign , had not gotten any bigger ( 4mm) and follow up in 1 yr. I just got results of my mammo ( I paid the $40 for the artificial intelligence ) and I got a call I need a biopsy . Report says 7mm spiculated mass . So I have googled “ spiculated “ and it doesn’t look good . I am also on blood thinners ( I had a stent put in my heart Nov 2023) The radiologist wants me to stop my blood thinners 5 days prior and my cardiologist ( the MA at the office) says I can’t stop . I’m waiting to hear from the actual doctor . I’ve been waiting 2 days and he hasn’t called me . So now I’m afraid I’m going to bleed to death from the biopsy and I’m pretty sure I have breast CA.. I thought the heart thing was scary enough and I’m just recovering from that .. I know I will deal with whatever happens but just not having a good time right now ..