Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results? Start Here

Options

Comments

• salsal39
    salsal39 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2014
    Options

Hi guys

I'm in the UK and have just come back from my GP.  About 5 weeks ago I found a small pea size lump in my right breast.  I've waited to see GP as I've not long had a rod put in my arm to help with my periods and thought I would be told it was connected (hormonal).  However over the last week I have had shooting pains and a dull ache from the lump into my nipple.  I went today to be told that it was a smooth lump so noting to be worried about and was dismissed.  Something doesn't feel right with this, I've had other lumps before and been referred to clinic for scans and biopsy.  I'm 39 with a complicated medical history not breast related and slightly concerned that this was dismissed so easily.  Can anyone shed any light or am I just over reacting ?? :(

• vrkroc60
    vrkroc60 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options

Found a pea like cyst below my areola.  It feels hard and doesn't move.  Will be seeing my doctor this week.  Any suggestions or comments?  Anyone have the samething? 

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi vkroc60:

We're glad you've found our community, there's lot of support and valuable information here! You might also try posting your question in this forum, there are a lot of members reading and posting there who've been where you are now, and can probably be of some help to you. Please let us know what you find out from the doctor. Our thoughts are with you!

The Mods

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi Guys, have your heard or read about new molecular therapy that uses targeted peptides and proteins to restore cellular function?

For more information on this, please do a Google search for the term "Peptide treatment", or the company named "Regenerative Cellular Therapy".

• Kirkland3998
    Kirkland3998 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

thanks for posting "worrying is taking the strength out of today". I had a biopsy Tuesday to rule out IBC. It's difficult when I don't want to say anything to family members until I get a definitive answer.  Waiting is hell brut it's One Day at a Time.  Thanks for being here. 

• moderators
    edited November 2014
    Options

Thank YOU Kirkland! We're wishing for best results for you.

The Mods

• TallyLassie
    TallyLassie Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2014
    Options

I have been there, too. After a biopsy, I was told I had grade 3 invasive cancer, but they had to schedule a second MRI biopsy as well as type the first one (for ER/PR, HER2, etc.) to determine the plan of action. My head was spinning. The doctor performing the biopsy was going to be out of town for a week, and I was in limbo. I was considering canceling a planned road trip to visit a sister so I could move the biopsy up, but I really wanted my sister. The surgeon's nurse said something that might seem insensitive to some: "You're going to have a tough go of it. That cancer isn't going anywhere in another week. Enjoy yourself while you can." I took it to heart, went to see my sister, and then blew a bunch of money at Disney World. I had a fantastic time, didn't think too much about it, and now have some wonderful memories. Not everyone can go on a trip, but now that I'm in chemo, I'm so glad I chose not to fret and seized life for all I could. I have also learned that no one else cares as much about your cancer than you, so you have to be an advocate for yourself. Call and then call again until you get an answer.

• frantabulous1
    frantabulous1 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had a mammogram October 28th & received a certified letter less then two weeks later that said I needed to have other test done a ultra sound , MRI , & a spot mammogram because of a suspicious finding so I had those done on December 17th , I also received another certified letter on December 25th to let me know I need a biopsy I am scheduled to meet the oncology surgeon January 12th I have been so scared sometimes I cant sleep I have a million questions if it is cancerous I wish there was someone I could talk to I want to be well informed not blind sided just in case I try to look up as much info as I can about it but I also have personal questions that I cant ask web md all I know is I am tired of wondering what will happen next is this a tumor a cyst a non cancerous cell what is the difference ? my family has a history of breast & pancreatic cancer what if I have cancer who will help me pay for a reconstructive surgery if I need it ? my mother is 78 & not well she lives 5 hours from me what do I say to her if I have cancer do I even tell her at all I am her only daughter I have three brothers & I only told my oldest brother  what may be going on with me anyone have any suggestions ?

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited January 2015
    Options

Whoah there frantabulous, try not to get too far ahead right now. The waiting for tests and results is a terrible time, everyone here would agree with you. I know it is hard, but you have to try to stay off Dr Google, it will just frighten you.

At this point in time, you don't have any information, other than needing to have a biopsy. The vast majority of biopsies return benign findings, with only about 20% having a positive finding. There is every chance that you have some benign breast issue, but the only way to get a definitive answer is to have the biopsy. Once that is done and the pathology comes back, you'll have the information you need to go forward.

There isn't a lot you can ask, right now, try to keep busy till you have your appointment, There isn't anything to tell your Mother yet, and possibly won't be, so don't get worked up over that. There is a wise poster here who says "Don't go there till you have to!"

I wish you all the very best, try to relax if you can, the one thing learned was that all the stress and worry won't change the outcome, but it may make you sick. Let us know how you're getting on.

• moderators
    edited January 2015
    Options

Dear frantabulous1, welcome to BC.org. We're sorry that this worry brought you here, but glad you found us!

It's not easy to stay away from the worst, we all know... so we hope that you'll be reassured by the information at the main Breastcancer.org site called What Mammograms Show: Calcifications, Cysts, Fibroadenomas, reinforcing that there are many other benign masses that can come from testing.

Best wishes, and please keep everyone here updated on how it goes.

The Mods

• Sjacobs146
    Sjacobs146 Member Posts: 155
    edited January 2015
    Options

Fran, Ariom is right, don't jump to conclusions. Don't tell you mother anything until you have definitive information. The vast majority of these things are benign. Getting information via certified letter is troubling to me. Don't you have a primary care physician? You may also consider switching to a hospital with a Breast center if there is one in your area. I did my follow up mammogram, ultrasound, and biopsy all in the same day, results less than a week later. It's best if you can go somewhere with radiologists on site to get information more quickly. Definitely stay busy between now and Jan 12.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I'd definitely second the suggestion of seeking out a hospital with a breast center. The nurse navigators Aline can be worth their weight in gold, no matter what your results are.
    PS - IF you need surgery and IF reconstruction is needed, your insurance should cover it. Cross that off your list of worries. :).

I personally can't fathom the way this has been dragged out for you. it sounds as though your doctors are using protocols from the dark ages.

Good luck.
  • Nikki1979
    Nikki1979 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you for these tips! I recently noticed a lump on my beast after feeling discomfort for several weeks. I couldn't feel anything for a long time then almost overnight a 3cm mass appeared under my nipple.

I visited my doctor this morning andhave been referred to breast cancer clinic in 4 days for a scan and biopsy and am terrified. I have two beautiful young daughters aged only 21 months and 3 years. Why is it so much easier to think the worst?

And the waiting game begins...

Thanks for all your posts - reading them really does help xx

• leaf
    leaf Member Posts: 1,821
    edited January 2015
    Options

Why is it so much easier to think the worst?

I heard a speculation about this - why we are so terrible at estimating our risks for something, and it made sense to me. OK, we all probably originated in the plains of Africa. In Africa, there were lots of lions and other preditors out there. When we see the grass move in the plains, we tend to be afraid it might be a preditor.

Statistically, the grass is VERY LIKELY to be moving because the wind is blowing, and not because there is a preditor. But to me it makes sense that we evolved to be afraid when we heard the wind blow. Why? Because if the grass was moving because of a preditor, and we thought it was just the wind blowing in the grass, we would likely be eaten by the preditor, and removed from the gene pool. Those that because alarmed when the grass moved would be at more of a survival advantage, because we'd be more ready for the preditor.

We all tend to want to be ready for whatever is ahead for us. That way we will be more prepared. But the worst case scenario usually doesn't happen.

Maybe this happens more in people that are more 'hyper', or have a history of being traumatized. But, to me, it made gut sense.

Best wishes to you.

• trailrose
    trailrose Member Posts: 89
    edited January 2015
    Options

Frantabulous- Hang in there! Take it one step at a time as it can be overwhelming. All of us are giving you this advice since we have been there too. We understand. Try to keep on doing your normal routine for now as you have control over those things, and don't tell your Mom anything yet. I had to wait to tell my Mom for 5 days (who also is in bad health) when I got my results back until my Father arrived home from his trip. And yes 80% of the time it's a benign thing. My Mother in Law just went through this 3 days ago and hers came back as a benign cyst!

Nikki1979-I can totally understand your fear. So crazy, life is just carrying on and then all of sudden you have to go to a Breast Cancer Clinic for a biopsy! Hang in there. And yes reading these posts have helped me tremendously too. These ladies are so wonderful!

xoxo

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited January 2015
    Options

Leaf, I've encountered that theory, too, and it makes sense to me.

Nikki, I'm sorry you're going through this. Waiting for biopsies (and then the results) is a special kind of horrible that I wouldn't wish on anyone. All I can say is that it helps (a bit) to keep busy and to surround yourself with comforting people and activities. Not that you'd necessarily share your angst with anyone at this point but you sure don't want to be with people who rub you the wrong way right now.

I hope your results will be good news. Please let us know, and do come back here with any questions, etc. Take care.

• Ariom
    edited January 2015
    Options

Leaf, that does make, perfect sense!

• Nikki1979
    Nikki1979 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you all so much for your kind words! Leaf I love that theory and it makes perfect sense!

Sending good health vibes to us all xx

• Ariom
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello Nikki, I am from Aus too! So sorry you find yourself here, but very glad you found us. This is a great place for support and advice if you need it. Everyone here is very welcoming and happy to help and everyone, understands how you're feeling..

We also have a thread here called Australian Sisters if you'd like to touch base with some Australian and New Zealand girls.

• Annie115
    Annie115 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

I just had a mammogram and now they want a side view and a ultra sound to get a better view. Said there was some gray area in first test. Should this be a concern ? About to go crazy thinking the wors

• Ariom
    edited January 2015
    Options

Annie, don't panic, they are being pro active and making sure all is well. It isn't unusual to have more images taken and it isn't unusual to be called back either. The vast majority of all breast issues are benign!

Take it easy and let us know how you get on.

• jenjai
    jenjai Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2015
    Options

I recently had a mammagram and ultrasound. I was told by my Dr, the scans show I hhave 2 liesions, suspicious . the doctor and techs say they are 80 percent sure it cancer. I am waiting for an urgent Appointmennt for a biopsy. I have diabetes, asthma and cp. I am staying positive but the stress is affecting me. Does anyone have any tips how to cope. I am staying strong for my hubby and kis

• Ariom
    edited January 2015
    Options

jenjai, I am so sorry you have to be here, but very glad you found us. This is a great place to wait it out for tests and results. We all know how you're feeling. Don't give up hope yet, the final pathology after a biopsy is the only way to get a definitive answer as to what's going on.

The only suggestions I have for coping is to keep as busy as you can, doing things you enjoy, play with your kids or try to immerse yourself in a book. The waiting is brutal, we all agree on that!

I am sorry you already have health issues that you are dealing with. it is common though and there is a thread about coping with breast cancer with other health issues, but I can't recall the name of the thread.

I wish you all the best and hope that you have a benign result....let us know how you get on!

• mquimora
    mquimora Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options

I'm a newbie.. Just recently diagnosed 12/15/14 initially with Stage 1 and then recently my Onco told me its Stage IIA..! I can totally relate with the emotional distress from scheduling your tests and MD apt and waiting for results.. I reported my lump to my MD last of Oct 2014 and almost 3 months after, still waiting to schedule my 3rd biopsy.. I agree with you about the need for a streamlined care. Dealing with the diagnosis is hard enough but getting the treatment and test done is way worst than the diagnosis itself.

• jenjai
    edited January 2015
    Options

thank you ariom.

• jenjai
    edited January 2015
    Options

good luck midnight x

• moderators
    edited January 2015
    Options

mquimora, welcome! You have found a great place for information and a place to share and vent, and we hope you get the information, support and advice you need here.

If it helps, take a look at the section for those recently diagnosed called Breast Cancer 101, in our main site. Hopefully it will help you sort through all of the information on our site to find what is more relevant to you right now.

Best wishes,

The Mods

• jodie621
    jodie621 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hello,

Yesterday I went for my breast biopsy I have a 7 cm mass in my left breast and they said I had an enlarge lymph node I'm scared to get the results.

• Ariom
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hello Jodie, so sorry you are going through this. Of course you're scared, this stuff is scary, we have all felt that fear when we are told there is something that needs investigating. The fear of the unknown is totally normal.

The good news is, that the vast majority of these issues do turn out to be benign breast issues. Do you know when your results will be back? In the meantime, try to keep yourself occupied doing things you enjoy, the waiting is not pleasant, but you should have answers fairly quickly.

Stay away from google, there is a lot of out of date and just plain wrong information out there that can really scare you, stick with us here and let us know how you're getting on. Take care of you!

• Dewey_Gal
    Dewey_Gal Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

I, too, am a newbie to this site. Lots of good information and advice here. I was called back for "cone" mammogram, and ultrasound after - if the radiologist didn't like the mammo result. Sure enough, had to have the ultrasounds. Said there were changes to BOTH breasts since last year. 2 out of 2...not good odds. The Dr./Radiologist came in, after the ultrasound, to look first hand. The area in the right breast wasn't of concern. One of the two areas in the left breast weren't "of concern", but an area at "5:00" on my left breast showed a small (5mm) tumor, which he said had "non-benign characteristics". Of course I freaked out. I had an appointment, ironically, with my general physician - for an unrelated followup - but I told her what they had just told me. I said maybe I will need one of the needle biopsies. She said that - because the "area was so small, that a lumpectomy may be best". That, of course, freaked me out even more. I've been doing some research/surfing on the internet regarding lumpectomies and it seems that radiation, afterwards, is highly recommended. I'm so confused that such a "small" area could, possibly, result in these things. The doctor I was referred to can't see me for a couple of weeks...so the "waiting game" begins.

Back in 2002 I had a surgical biopsy for microcalcifications found at the 6:00 area of my left breast. Makes me wonder if this "new" area is connected.

So much to think about. I wish there was a pill for "forget all this...for now, anyway". I remember back in 2002 having the biopsy - which came back "benign"....but the wait was the worst!