Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results? Start Here

Options

Comments

• ddwright
    ddwright Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am 45y female. I discovered lump at least 4 months ago. Went to doctor a few weeks ago. OB sent me for mammogram and ultrasound. Complex Cyst. Aspiration and biopsy this past Friday. Lump did not go away after aspiration. Radiologist said he thinks infection but I had just completed round of antibiotics prior to biopsy. Now I wait.

• ddwright
    ddwright Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am 45y female. I discovered lump at least 4 months ago. Went to doctor a few weeks ago. OB sent me for mammogram and ultrasound. Complex Cyst. Aspiration and biopsy this past Friday. Lump did not go away after aspiration. Radiologist said he thinks infection but I had just completed round of antibiotics prior to biopsy. Now I wait.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited September 2015
    Options

Dear ddwright, welcome to Breastcancer.org. We know how hard the waiting is and hope you get the support you're seeking here till you get more information about that lump. Just letting you know that we're thinking of you, and crossing fingers for benign results.

Best, The Mods

• SueH58
    SueH58 Member Posts: 106
    edited September 2015
    Options

Good attitude, Megan!  Do you know the stats on the biobsy (ie size, grade, ER receptors, etc?). 

• lctorres
    lctorres Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Options

I can relate to the anxiety of waiting. I had bone and CT scans done around the time I was initially diagnosed in 2014. My Oncologist's nurse gave me the results over the phone-which were negative. I repeated the scans last week for the first time since my treatment. I got a bad feeling about bone scan--and what I thought was the tech's response to it--at the time it was done. This time when I called my Oncologist's office for results, I was told I needed to come in and get the results directly from from the doctor himself. I knew something was wrong. I was sure I had bone mets and he was planning to tell me in person. I was wondering if I should start unpacking my hats from chemo, planning what to say to my children, and working on my obituary. This evening, my bone scan posted to my online health account. It was negative for bone mets. I am feeling some relief but still some fear about the other test result. I feel like I have been through a war today. I hope these cancer checks get easier over time. My first one has been an ordeal.

• moderators
    edited October 2015
    Options

Welcome Ictorres! We're so glad that you found us and decided to join this wonderful community. Also very glad to hear about your scan results! Wishing you the best of luck with the other tests. Please come back to let us know!

Warm wishes,

The Mods

• lctorres
    lctorres Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2015
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome. Smile

I did get the second result today. Both the bone scan and CT were negative for cancer. I am still not sure why I had to go in to get my results. It was really helpful to be able to read about other's experiences as well as post my own.

• moderators
    edited October 2015
    Options

Great news lctorres! Please continue to let us know how you're doing; we're all here for you when you need us!

--The Mods

• Waterstreet
    Waterstreet Member Posts: 96
    edited October 2015
    Options

I have IDC, Don't know the stage yet, grade 2, estrogen positive/progestron Positive, Her2 negative and am finially down to the last of the procedures prior to surgery this coming Friday.

Don't keep this from your family, you need their support. With the clinic I go to you see the surgeon for initial consult and the day of surgery. He sets up the tests he wants you to have and sets you up for the Radiation/oncologist consult. They all seem to have either more tests or procedues and these all require more time to get results. I found you can go to the testing facility or hospital where the results are released from and sign papers to get your pathology reports from all the testing of biopsy procedures. Of course it takes weeks to get the results. I got a partial pathology report after three weeks and had to wait another week to get the final report. Cancer unfortunately is a waiting, trying disease, no quick responses or answers. Cancer is a hurry up and wait disease, the stress is enormous, these webites are the best sourse of information because you get the information you seek by getting in the forums that relate to your cancer and get the experiences of those who have already been through what you are now facing. Best thing is building a support group of the people you meet in the forums. People who have been through what you are facing that can relate to your need now. Its a long road ahead and you will need help t get through it. Your husband can find support here also as well as your children in some sites. Read the Moderator notes on the site and they will lead you through how to use the site. You can get the list of abbriveations to understand the meanings when you see DX, PCP, etc. As you move through the process of your diagnosis look for the forums that give you information on that topic. The people you meet on the site will give you direction also.

Hope this helps. I needed to find out from others that this is a long process and this is where you get most of your answers.

• Chickadeesylf
    Chickadeesylf Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options

Post a reply

14 hours ago Chickadeesylf wrote:

well hello! I just joined this evening and thought I needed to be able to talk and maybe get feed back.! So here goes, I am 51 years old, married, have 5 daughters and am also a grandma. I had a mammogram done in 2004 , years go by, a complete hysterectomy 6years ago, a brand new hip 2 years ago, and some other unrelated medical probs also through the years.. I have been on hormone replacement therapy already going on since 2010 two pills a day of Premarin. 0.3 and 0.625 which balanced me out very well. I have lost 60lbs in the last year and a half. Without trying..dr.found my Premarin Way to high. So she lowered it.and scheduled me for a mammogram three weeks ago.i did that, the results came back as having abnormalities and significant changes in breasts..today I had ultrasound....I saw the pictures of the last mammogram .the right breast has three spots that are white with spiderwebs on them and one spot on the left breast also white with spiderweb thing ...sorry don't know the wording for that..also she ,the technician spent over 45 minutes using the ultrasound and taking pictures of black ovals , circles and other. Weird looking objects, clicking pics and measuring, so I guess I will hear within the next two weeks what is going on. My question is.i have very sore breasts and have the Milk let down feeling going on all day long and my right upper arm aches does anyone else feel this, just wondering? I will share my results with you when they come in regardless of the outcome,,I am not nervous or stressed at all, but very very curious,

!Talk again soon! I'll keep in touch. Good luck to all, And would love to hear from someone else in the same predicament! CHEERS Sylvia in Prince Edward Island Canada

• NCquilter
    NCquilter Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

Had biopsy of 3 places today after yesterday's US and mammograms came back as 4....appointment Tuesday to hear results...my primary care already put in a referral to a surgeon which totally freaked me out...61 years old, mom of 2 and grandmother of 1 and 1/2 grandchildren....I will be waiting with you Chickadeesylf!

Thanks to all who have shared and encouraged on this thread!

• moderators
    edited April 2016
    Options

Welcome NCquilter! We're sorry you're here and waiting, but you've come to a wonderful, supportive place for doing so. We understand that you're concerned, but if it helps, many women here had a BI RADS 4 image, had biopsy and it was B9 (benign).

We know how hard is not to worry about it, but try to stay positive and focused on other things in your life, until you get your results. Please keep us posted, we're thinking of you!

The Mods

• Pari-TV
    Pari-TV Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Options

good (early) morning to all - I am too waiting for more tests and results. I already have been diagnosed and was going from surgeon to surgeon deciding on hospital and type of reconstruction. The second hospital I consulted saw some enhancement in liver and spine. All of sudden I feel like pain in back and I'm convinced I'm stage 4 but really I won't know until I get scans in 2 days and then wait for results. I'm scared really about having the conversation with my 12 year old son. My husband is only 1 year out of treatment for aggressive lymphoma so I'm having a hard time thinking about how to help my son make sense of these. My best wishes to all of you out there waiting for best results possible -- myself included

• moderators
    edited April 2016
    Options

Welcome Pari_TV

Welcome to the community!

We just wanted to let you know that we're here for you and we're so glad that you decided to join the community.

Talking to children about an illness is never easy but here's some tips we put together on some ways to approach it.

Talking to older children and teens about your diagnosis

Keep us updated!

Big hugs from the Moderators.

• JuMa
    JuMa Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi All,

Just looking for company in these days of waiting...I am 51 years old and this past week had a second mammogram for a questionable spot in left breast. I have felt a lump in breast for 6 weeks. The mammogram was followed up with going directly to get an ultrasound which then in turn showed abnormalities and I have a Ultrasound Guided Biopsy scheduled this coming Tuesday the 26th. The only words I heard that gave me anything to go on are Lobular and Rimmed area. The waiting is awful! My mind is racing, I am trying to keep busy and at times I can get my mind off of this and at times it is all I am thinking about. I am not sure if it is psycho semantic or what but I am feeling occasional pain in my left breast and a warm sensation, not continuous, but comes and goes. To make matters worse they showed me my mammogram results from 2013 (different hospital) and showed me there was something on that one and that it has grown. Thank you for letting me share.

• JustAgirl33
    JustAgirl33 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2016
    Options

Good afternoon everyone.

I'm 33years old.. about 3 months ago I found a lump in my right breast.  I waited to have it checked out, because I was waiting for my insurance at work to kick in (and because I just had a bad feeling).  I really should not have waited.  April 22nd was my first appointment. May 5th was my mammogram and ultra-sound. May 6th was my biopsy in 3 spots.  May 10th the results were confirmed that I do indeed have BC.  May 11th pathology report was further elaborated.  My doctor couldn't tell me what stage, nor did the pathology report. I was told I have invasive ductal carcinoma grade 3... Now, I've been waiting to meet with a surgeon.. Does it normally take this long? My next appointment is May 31st.. I feel like I'm living my live in limbo =/

• moderators
    edited May 2016
    Options

JustAgirl33, we are really sorry that you have "joined our club"! Yes, unfortunately, it often does take some time, but that varies from treatment facility to treatment facility. You could naturally keep calling to see if there are cancellations, or try another treatment center, if that is an option?! We're all here for you!

• JPD1711
    JPD1711 Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi.

I am not yet diagnosed 63 year old and on 5/17 I found a lump in my left breast. Saw my doctor on 5/19 and she said the lump was about 2cm, felt irregular and the she suspected cancer. I had a bilateral diagnostic mammogram on 5/20. The mammogram revealed calcifications in the right breast. I had the left side biopsied on 5/31 and the right side biopsied on 6/2. I had a bilateral MRI performed yesterday, 6/3.

The results from the 5/31 biopsy were available on 6/2, but I chose to wait to hear the results until the the 6/2 biopsy results were in. Not saying this is good or bad; it was simply my reaction. Worst case scenario: I'd rather have both shoes drop at once as opposed to one at a time.

I'm pretty convinced that the left side lump is cancerous. Is there a generic plan of action I should expect to have happen? I feel so ignorant about all of this. I have always enjoyed excellent health, and have had very little experience with doctors. I would welcome your suggestions.

My very best wishes to all and thanks for listening.

• DawnO
    DawnO Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

Hi everyone!

After my mid May mammogram showed suspicious results on the right side. I've had follow-up mammograms and a stereoscopic needle biopsy done on an area with microcalcifications. That showed LCIS and 4 complex sclerosing lesions with LCIS. Last Tuesday, the 14th, I had a partial mastectomy. My Dr called Friday to say that she'd gotten clean margins and that the final pathology report won't be in until Wednesday the 22nd, the day I go in for suture removal. I'm having a lot of trouble sleeping and it's really beginning to take a toll. I'm trying to wait patiently and not think ahead but my mind keeps racing through all of the possible outcomes.Any ideas to make the waiting just a little easier? I'm finding that I'm really bad at waiting patiently.

I'm so grateful for this webite and all of the different forums. I've found a lot of info and friendly comfort here that's made this process so much more bearable. Thank you all so much!

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited June 2016
    Options

DawnO,

I would try an OTC sleep aid to help with the lack of sleeping. Try half a dosage. Also, talk with your Dr about how you are feeling. There is a lot to process at the beginning and it could be that an anti-anxiety med would be help. One of the most common comments I hear from the ladies in the beginning, even those who tend not to take pills, is that the anti-anxiety meds were a blessing.....

Do you have any favorite hobbies? Reading? TV shows that you could watch off of Netflix or anything like that? Waiting is brutal, it really is. Try not to let the whole cancer thing monopolize every part of your day. Another thing that the ladies do here, as their lives settle down into a routine that first year with treatment etc., is to take the weekends "off" from anything to do with cancer. They don't think about it, they don't visit the boards, etc...

• lcruson
    lcruson Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

I have not been diagnosed, but found a lump on May 17. I had had my yearly mammogram in February, with a diagnostic and U/S on this same breast. Well I called my Dr the next day and he sent me back for another U/S. They did another diagnostic and found nothing, the tech came back in and was about to dismiss me. I was totally confused and told her I didn't understand how nothing was showing, as I was saying that to her I was rubbing the hard lump knowing I was feeling it. She came over and placed her hand to see if she could feel it, so then I went straight back for an U/S. Nothing picked up on that. So I was told to go home and if it grew any to let my Dr know.

Thank goodness that I have a wonderful Dr, I went to see him and once he felt the hard lump and the thickening in my breast around it, He told me he wants it biopsied. Now I can't get in with the surgeon until June 30, the waiting is such a pain.

My mother was dx with BC at the age of 45, one of her sisters dx at the age of 49 and another sister at the age of 65. So I do have a little reason to be concerned and stressed. Of course I have read so much and thought wow I have most every symptom lol. But to be honest, I do not believe its BC. I just don't have that feeling. I would however like to have the lump removed, I find myself rubbing it a lot. Maybe I think it will just be gone one day.

Sorry I blabbed so long...I think it is just from all the waiting

• gavan2011
    gavan2011 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options

I will remember your suggestions.

• Sonia511
    Sonia511 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    Options

No one in my life has ever had any form of cancer...10 days ago life was normal. Yesterday, I had a biopsy on a 1.5 cm mass that the breast dr is pretty confident is a fibroid and that the the radiologist listed as a BIRAD 4 and told me had some cancer characteristics but some non cancer characteristics. I want to be confident over the weekend, and sadly I updated my family in a positive manner to make their hearts happier. Just how confident can a doctor be from labs and feeling me when the OB didn't even feel it three weeks before? Ugh...waiting sucks when you are a control freak and you told people prematurely that you are cancer free?

• moderators
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi Sonia!

We hope that this turns out to be nothing, and you can keep saying you're cancer free! Please let us know about about the biopsy results. We're thinking of you!

The Mods

• omajoanie
    omajoanie Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2016
    Options

hi there... New to this forum. I am a 5 year survivor of thyroid cancer. Went last month for routine mammogram screening...( I have been remiss and skipped 2 years!!) told abnormal lymph nodes behind right breast. Went for Ultrasound.... Yes, lymph node still there , with " thick cortex, and loss do fatty hilum". Not only there, but even larger axillary node, with same characteristics...and more enlarged nodes there too but no description... Now waiting for breast surgeon consult next week. I am a nurse. So I have read a lot!! ( curse of the medical profession).. So sometimes I know too much, and enough to make myself crazy!!! Radiologist called it a Birads 4.. Have had shoulder pain in right side for about a year now...thought it was just arthritis... ( probably still is just that) but a little freaked out...Question... How do they biopsy a node behind the breast? Are those usually a surgical biopsy??

• moderators
    edited August 2016
    Options

Hi, omajoanie, Not sure this is at all helpful, but here is a page that may describe Biopsy types. We are happy you found our community, and we'll be here to help guide you! We understand how stressful the waiting is!

• Hopeful16
    Hopeful16 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    Options

I am new to this forum, thankful my 33 year old daughter directed me to this site. At 53 I am a mother of 3 adults young women and a grandmother of three (2 girls/1boy).

10 months ago I had a mammogram and the results were normal. Fast forward to three weeks ago...my employer provided a mobile 3-D unit and my Sr. Dir. Encouraged the ladies in the group to get their tests done, I had never experienced a 3-D and thought why not? I had the exam, went on a mini vacation and returned to find a letter in the mail advising my test was abnormal. I called my internist who then asked I come in to his office the same day. My doctor advised during the visit I should have another mammogram and a sonogram and advised we would discuss the results. I had my diagnostic mammogram at the Women's Center for Radiology and was waiting to be called for the sonogram when the nurse called my name escorted me to a room and advised I should get dress because I would not be getting the sonogram and that the doctor wanted to speak to me in the next room. As I walked into the dark room the Dr. Was looking at my films, she then pointed out the areas of concern and advised I would be scheduled for biopsy as soon as possible. Needless to say I felt like a wave had hit me, stunned I wondered what does this all mean, why did I not get the sonogram? Why did she look so concerned? What does calcification in or on my artery mean? What does the calcification cluster mean? Where did this come from? I just had a test 10 months ago...I thought of my three daughters and the probability for them, thought my sisters and their passing of different cancers and sadly did not think of asking any questions because of the shock effect and overwhelming emotions stirring up inside.

I've been experiencing shoulder pain for a year and chucked it up to Arthritis and now wondering if this pain has something to do with my recent diagnosis.

Attempting to stay hopeful, but I confess conquering the fear is hour by hour at this time.

• moderators
    edited September 2016
    Options

Hi Hopeful-

We understand the worry and anxiety; the waiting is often times one of the hardest parts. You might want to check out our forum Waiting for Test Results, to find support amongst members who're in your shoes.

Please keep us posted!

The Mods

• shush1976
    shush1976 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2016
    Options

what were your results

• keepthefaith611
    keepthefaith611 Member Posts: 56
    edited October 2016
    Options

Excellent thread.

Loved this reply on page 1:

'The surgeon's nurse said something that might seem insensitive to some: "You're going to have a tough go of it. That cancer isn't going anywhere in another week. Enjoy yourself while you can." I took it to heart, went to see my sister, and then blew a bunch of money at Disney World. I had a fantastic time, didn't think too much about it, and now have some wonderful memories. Not everyone can go on a trip, but now that I'm in chemo, I'm so glad I chose not to fret and seized life for all I could. I have also learned that no one else cares as much about your cancer than you, so you have to be an advocate for yourself. Call and then call again until you get an answer."

KUDDO'S The advise applies to all of the boards, those waiting for results, those worried about symptoms, etc. - there's only the present, the worrying is the part that hurts the most.