Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not Diagnosed and Waiting for Test Results? Start Here

Options

Comments

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    edited February 2015
    Options

Hi Dewey_Gal, welcome to BCO. Sorry you felt the need to be here, but glad you found this knowledgable and caring forum.

You would probably be best talking with a Breast Surgeon or the centre where you had the scans done, for more expert advise. Normally a guided biopsy is the next step, but only an qualified doctor can really advise. If you are not happy with current advise, seeking a second opinion from the new doctor is a good idea, even if it takes time and causes the dreaded waiting!

Waiting is a very difficult time, as everyone here will agree with.

We wish you the best benign result.

The Mods.

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2015
    Options

Jodie, I agree with Ariom.  Stay off Google and browse the boards here.  The results can be scary, but know that we are here to help and support you.  All of us have "been there/done that" and there are a lot of amazing, wonderful and enlightening ladies on the boards.  I don't think I would be where I am today without the information on BCO.   Believe me the ladies have talked me through many hard decisions, kicked me in the butt when I needed it and just generally been there for me, as we will be for you.  Take a deep breath and keep yourself busy. 

• Carrie37
    Carrie37 Member Posts: 35
    edited February 2015
    Options

I can't even believe I am writing on this forum. I am 37 years old and last week I found a lump on my right breast. I was concerned immediately because of the size and the fact that I have never noticed it and it didn't hurt. I went for my mammogram and ultrasound yesterday. I was given a Bi-RADs of 5 and had the radiologist talk to me. I kept hearing "concerning" and tried to focus on what he was saying: calcification, large mass, very concerning. I finally spoke with my PCP today and he said a Bi-RADs 5 is probably BC. I have two biopsies scheduled for Tuesday and should have answers by the end of next week. Needless to say; I am scared but also trying to stay positive. The mass didn't hurt until after the mammogram and I am wondering if that is normal. I read that pain is not normal with BC so I am wondering what others have experienced. Thank you in advance!

• Nomatterwhat
    Nomatterwhat Member Posts: 210
    edited February 2015
    Options

Carrie, none of us can believe we are here, but we are here for each other.  As I said in my previous post, please take some time and read some of the ladies journeys and their advise to newbies.  When I found my lump, I was terrified.  After having a mammogram and complaining of how painful it was, the Radiologist was even more concerned as to why it was painful.  He order stereotactic biopsies and found a mass in the right breast.  But, I have been through surgery, chemo, radiation and the doctors tell me I am cancer free and will continue to be fat and sassy!!!!  So, take a deep breath, read some great stories, write down what you think is great advise, and keep us posted.  Hugs to you, sweetie!!! 

• Googoogirl
    Googoogirl Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2015
    Options

had core biopsy last week. I am an expat living in Japan. I will hear my results on the 17th. Don't understand why it takes so long. Nervous but thinking it's small because they caught it on ultrasound, not on the mammogram

My cousin (maternal side) had stage 0-1 10 years ago. They removed the tumor and put her on Taxol. She's been fine ever since. That's a great scenario. But I am still worried.

My father is also a survivor of prostate cancer I don't know why I am blurting all this out. Even if it's malignant, I am thankful we caught it - and thinking we caught it early cause it would be so small, right?

• ShowMeTheStars
    ShowMeTheStars Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello, everyone! I never thought I would find myself back here (my mum was dx'd with BC five years ago and I came here for comfort and guidance when her doctors suspected that it had metastasized last year). I'm returning because I had my first mammogram and US done last week. I haven't had insurance since I graduated high school nearly a decade ago and finally got covered again a few months past. When I saw my PCP, I informed him that I felt a small lump in my right breast. He scheduled me for a mammogram and US. I had a suspicious finding on the US of my right breast. My report stated that there was an abnormality located at the 9:00 position and that it is a solid hypoechoic mass with an echogenic halo. It has a BI-RADS rating of 4b. I'm now at the point of waiting for my biopsy on the 31st and trying not to freak out in the interm.

• AmandaXJune
    AmandaXJune Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am currently 24 years old. When I was 21 I was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer. I beat that. The day u turned 24 I got a call telling me my thyroid cancer had returned in my lymph nodes. This was June 25th. My birthday. On September 15th I under went surgery again to have lymph nodes removed. On March 30th 2015 I went in to have an ultrasound on my right breast due to me finding a lump. Not one person has had breast cancer in my family so I wasn't all that worried since cyst were also very common with my mother grandmother and sister. My Dr sat down looked at the lump was talking about my family and asking me questons about my daughters...then she turned very serious. She told me that she is very concerned and that altough she doesn't lIke to have them done for people my age she said I needed a mammogram. Apparently she didn't like what she saw on that either. My appointment started at 10am and I didn't leave my doctors office until 3:30pm. they told me that I should have my results back thursday at the latest.

• hopeful82014
    hopeful82014 Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Amanda, just wanted to extend my support as you wait out your results. I'm praying it will be good news.
  • moderators
    edited April 2015
    Options

Some of you reading this Topic, may find our latest BCO blog of interest. See Our Friends Answer: What Helped You Get Calm?,

Our best to all of you waiting for results. Everyone empathises with the stress of waiting in this situation.

The Mods

• SueH58
    SueH58 Member Posts: 106
    edited April 2015
    Options

Are any of you waiting for your Oncotype or Mammaprint score, or did you use the score to determine your next steps?

• JenniferCanada
    JenniferCanada Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    Options

40, found a lump after a few months of tenderness and some spot itching and sharp pains in left breast, 9:00 area. Saw my g/p. He found another lump near the one I found, 2 pea sized one drawn a clear circle and the other drawn dark and oval (over analyzing his drawing I had to give to the secretary! lol)
    He reassured me about a lump in the back of my leg (lipoma) and set an app. with a surgeon. Didn't say much about the lumps but said it's standard procedure given my age.
    I've seen him over the years for lumps and he's always quick to declare them cysts. Hopefully he's just being cautious.
    Trying to stay positive.
    u/s Wed. April 15th G/P is on vacation till the 22nd and the clinic said the results are usually ready with in 24 hours. Hopefully I can get some news.
    Finger, eyes and legs crossed!

• kimber42
    kimber42 Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2015
    Options

I just had a ultrasound core biopsy yesterday. The radiologist said he is pretty sure it is benign, just wants to be sure since my mom passed away 2 1/2 years ago with BC. But I am still scared. And is it normal for it to still hurt the next day?

• moderators
    edited June 2015
    Options

Hi Kimber, we're thinking of you! Please keep us posted on the biopsy results!

--The Mods

• SueH58
    edited June 2015
    Options

Yes, the biobsy can hurt for days, or even residually for weeks.

If the radiologist feels its benign, there's a darn good chance it is. They don't want to get in the position of guessing in case they're wrong, and in this case wrong would be terrible.

Hang in there! This is a tough time.

• Cdwind
    Cdwind Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Options

Hello

I had a mammogram a couple of weeks ago which came back abnormal. Today I had the spot compression and ultrasound. Birad 5. Doc is pretty confident that it is cancer. I have a biopsy next week. Can't turn the brain off. anxiety is through the roof!

• SueH58
    edited August 2015
    Options

Cdwind - So sorry to hear of your abnormal mammogram. This is such a difficult time for you waiting for results and next steps. This board is great for information and support, so if you need us, we'll be here!

• Cdwind
    Cdwind Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Options

thank you sue

• SueH58
    edited August 2015
    Options

Cdwind - how are you????

• LizzyBoo65
    LizzyBoo65 Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am new here and feel as though my situation is not "bad enough" to post.....but I'm having a hard time waiting. I am 50 years old and have had yearly mammograms since 40. All normal. In August I had one that came back "abnormal". The doctor called me three hours after the test and told me to follow up with another mammo and ultrasound! (panic) So the earliest they could schedule it was two weeks out, which is tomorrow at 9:15 a.m. My primary care doc (who is also a good friend) went ahead and scheduled me for a surgeon "just in case".

It is now the evening before the test and my nerves are exhausted. My very best friend had BC for 12 years and lost the battle two years ago. Soooo.....this is just hard. Wish she was here to talk to!

Anyway, glad I found this site. Hugs to all of you.

LizzyBoo (betty)

• SueH58
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hey Lizzyboo, what did you find out?  The waiting is so hard. If it turns out for the worst, we on many boards are here to support you  

Prayers and hugs,

Sue

• LizzyBoo65
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi SueH58. Thanks for responding. I had the tests done on Friday and of course the radiologist and ultra sound tech would say nothing. Because it is a holiday weekend I probably won't know anything until Tuesday. This weekend I am trying to not think about it (too) much, but naturally that is nearly impossible!

This website and discussion boards have been very helpful! I'll update this thread when I know anything more.

Take care,

Betty

• EIJ
    EIJ Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am reading this as I am waiting for my biopsy results. I know it happened a while ago but I am so happy for you

• EIJ
    EIJ Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Options

I am reading this as I am waiting for my biopsy results. I know it happened a while ago but I am so happy for you

• LizzyBoo65
    edited September 2015
    Options

Saw the surgeon this morning. He says to repeat the mammo in 3 months to check for changes. He worried about the cyst I have it is another area of density. He says it would be difficult at this point to biopsy the area. So, good news, right?

• Mgtodd
    Mgtodd Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2015
    Options

hi all! I am new here and just looking for some guidance, support, information, etc. My story is really about luck. I am 40 years old, have 4 children... all of which I breast fed. History of breast cancer on my mother's side, not sure of father's side. Anywho... about 5 weeks ago, I felt a huge lump in my right breast, it was very painful. I'm no rookie when it comes to lumps, I get them, often. Fibrocystic breasts. I've had ultrasounds done in the past with no issues. However, because this one was so very painful, I did seek the advice of my Gyn. She ordered a mammogram with ultrasound. This was Sept 3. I scheduled the tests for Tuesday Sept. 8. My appointment was at 8am. By 830 my mammogram was done, but they called me back to take more films on my right breast. Then off for my ultrasound. They discovered 3 cysts in my right breast, 2 of which equaled 5 cm. So they discussed aspiration with me. As they were prepping me for the aspiration, the radiologist himself came in and did several other ultrasounds before explaining to me that they were going to aspitate, then biopsy. It was then my day fell apart. He stated the mammogram showed areas of calcification that were very irregular, behind the large cysts. So what I thought was pain from the cysts wes actually pain from the area of concern. My mammogra m and ultrasound were both Birad 5. They did my biopsy right then and there. My Gyn did tell me if they found anything irregular, intervene. I left in tears filled with fear remembering very little of what they told me. They gave me a lot of information related to breast cancer, particularly ductal carcinoma. Now I wait for my results. And all I can think was, it was just a cyst. A cyst that prompted my mammogram and possibly found cancer. I'm still in shock.

Megan

• Dancermom1999
    Dancermom1999 Member Posts: 62
    edited September 2015
    Options

HI Megan...You are in the right place for support. It is very overwhelming and the angst of waiting is the worst. While a birad of 5 can be very worrisome, it does not mean that it is cancer. If it turns out to be cancer, you are lucky in that you had a symptom that led you to the testing needed. Deep breaths and know that you will never be alone on this site. We shall pray tonight for good results. Kathy

• SueH58
    edited September 2015
    Options

Ditto what Kathy said. While I will pray it is benign, if fate caused you to find it so early, you will have an excellent outcome. We will be here to help you through the difficult times. Prayers and many gentle hugs, Sue.

• moderators
    edited September 2015
    Options

Hi Megan-

We're sorry you find yourself here, but we're glad you've found us! We know it's scary. We'll be hoping for benign results for you, but in either case, this community is here for you!

The Mods

• Mgtodd
    edited September 2015
    Options

thank you! They told me 3-4 business days to receive results. Well today is day 3. But my dr isn't in the office on Friday, so I'm anticipating receiving results on Monday. It's going to be a very long weekend. Just praying for benign results!

• Mgtodd
    edited September 2015
    Options

I received my results today. It is Ductal carcinoma. Surgical consult and oncology consult are being arranged. I had the genetic testing done as well due to family history, and age. Those results will play a role in my treatment. It's gonna be a rough couple weeks I'm sure. But my prognosis is good. Cancer sucks, and I may have it, but it does not and will not have me!!!

♡ Megan