Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• suz45
    suz45 Member Posts: 85
    edited January 2012
    Options

This is a copy of my original post back in 2007 when I was going through my first cancer & starting treatments... thought I would like to share it here. Hope you all dont mind. Ive been thinking of all this as I see Gails posts & fears as she starts on her journey. I pray it will be an easy one {{hugs}} Here it is and I will post the pictures at the bottom of it..

"Special Gift of Love"

Hello everybody,

Ive just started posting in the Dec group, but thought I would share a special momment with all.

I have a 17 year old son (Drummer) who has gorgeous beautiful hair with ringlets halfway down his back, At 17 it has become his identity. When I was first dx w bc we thought I was only going to have radiation. I had teased him a few times that if I ever had to have chemo he could chop it off and we could make a wig for me (lol , He would just look at me and laugh "right mom")

Due to lymph node involvement I should be starting chemo in about a week followed by radiation (Our chemo appointments are booking feb already, but they want to start mine asap) Anyway my son came up to me the week before last and asked if he had to wait until my chemo started or could he cut his hair off now........ I felt incredibly humbled and honored and told him he didn't have to as I didn't even know for sure where to go, or if I could find a place to have the wig made. He said that was ok and if I didn't use it we could donate it  to locks of love.Cry I could barely speak as I was so emotional and gave him the biggest love hug a mother could. I took him to my salon (he was gonna buzz it with the clippers at home) and let him tell them what he wanted. They pony tailed him and gave him a buzz cut. It was quite a shocking difference. When I went to pay they wouldn't take any money they just gave us both a huge hug and said Aaron was an amazing young man and to me "Susie just get well"... this is our part in your battle.

Thank you for allowing me to share. I read many many of all of your posts daily and hold all of you dear & close in my thoughts and prayers. hugs to all

Love suz

Aaron & Mom (Suzy)

Aaron & Mom (Suzy)

Aaron precut

Aaron & my Hairstylist (precut ponytail)

Aaron after cut (almost done)

Aaron & Stylist (almost done)

Suzy & Sophie

Suzy & Sophie both with hair, Right after first surgery & before first chemo!

Starting my first cut after chemo

Starting to prepare after first chemo (hair was falling out)

My first attempt at cutting my hair Dec 07

My first attempt at shortening my hair Dec 07 (self cut)

Self buzz

Self buzz Christmas Evening after a quarter size chunk fell out when gently tugged... DH found me crying my heart out in the bathroom, clippers in one hand clumps of hair in the other. He gave me a gentle hug and helped me finish it.

Needless to say I love my guys & Lil Gal... Ive got happy tears looking at this 4 years later Cry Wow what a journey its been!

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2012
    Options

You are beautiful, Suz, and your son is a champ :) Thanks for sharing this story. xoxo

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited January 2012
    Options

Great story Suz... You must be so proud of your sonSmile

Off to get my mugs today.....

rads start Thursday.. 28 treatments..

• suz45
    edited January 2012
    Options

Great Ossa, Thurs rads huh... wishing you the smoothest softest skin with minimal se's. 28 tx's seems like a good amount. The biggest problem is its every day... how far do you have to go for them? I found this was the biggest part of the fatique.. actually getting up, dressed & out the door in the morning. Once there it goes by so quick. Just remember dont wait till se's show up keep the area lathered in cream as soon as you can. (I had a jar in my rad bag and used it before i even got dressed in there change rooms) Big Hugs and will be thinking of you xxx Suz

You can do it!

• Ossa
    edited January 2012
    Options

Thanks Suz..

Had  muga (not mugs) today.. tomorrow I get my bolus made then Thursday the race is on .. 28 days of rads.. Thank godness work is slow for DH right now so he can drive me most days

• suz45
    edited January 2012
    Options

Sounds great and thats not too bad of a commute. Depending on the traffic Im about 20 mins away from VCA.. during bad traffic that can take an hour. But I did drive myself to all my own chemo & rads except 2 (thats 4 different chemo's, 2 different sets of rads and a few mini rad txs) Lol my parking bills are rediculous as Ive spent many 8 hour days balancing different doctors & appointments!

Heh heh, go figure they finally finish the canada line which stops a few blocks from the VCA and I cant walk that far anymore :P toe issues.

Hugs Suz

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2012
    Options
    didn't mean to kill the thread, I thought I was adding to the conversation about traveling to treatment.
  • Ossa
    edited January 2012
    Options

Quiet around here.. hope everyone is doing well

• akmom
    edited January 2012
    Options

Hi Ossa, I'm just in waiting mode right now so haven't got anything new to share...

The old news - I was told that my core biopsy showed ADH, return in 6 months for a follow up mammogram. Then a second doctor at the same clinic called to say that she had asked "her" pathologist to review my results and we could be looking at low grade DCIS. She mentioned the possibility of radiation but I'm not sure why that even came up, I guess all depends on outcome of the next biopsy. Since the "second opinion" was given over the phone I haven't seen anything in writing so not quite sure what to expect. (First doctor gave me nothing in writing - guess I should have asked for a copy of the report?)

Anyway, now I'm scheduled for a wire guided biopsy on Feb 13 at the Breast Health Clinic (Jim Pattison Outpatient Centre) in Surrey.

Is it tomorrow you start you radiation treatments? Hope all goes well for you.

• akmom
    edited January 2012
    Options

Ossa, I just noticed your surgeon is Dr. Janzen - she is my "doctor number two" who called back with a second opinion. I am already very impressed with her even though we haven't met in person. Glad to read that you recommend her!

• suz45
    edited January 2012
    Options

Mfrog?? Did I miss something, I dont think you killed the thread. Its just a bit quiet .

The Moderators mentioned at the start of this thread that we should do a search of people by location then invite or pm them to pop in here. Its easier to keep a thread going with more gals jumping in with comments.

Im in the middle of year end right now :P..... VERY VERY boring. Also day one of another cheno cycle so my belly is upset.

Big Hugs Gals xxx

• Ossa
    edited January 2012
    Options

Off to get my fisrt radiation only 37 days until I am done treatmentWink

See a celebration in my near furture

• suz45
    edited January 2012
    Options

Awesome Ossa! One down and now counting daily! Dont forget your cream even if it feels fine, it will make a world of difference in the long run.

Looking around my house and thinking I GOTTA get mobile and do some cleaning/purging. Things are starting to accumulate in piles all over the house... piles are not a good thing! Think laundry and christmas decorations are #1 on the list. Dh did a wallmart run on some large & medium rubbermaid bins for me. So glad as it makes the sorting and putting away so much easier.

Its a beautiful sunshiney day here, but last nights windstorm was something to behold... woke me up at 3am with stuff being blown around outside on the deck. Hmmmm more cleaning that had to be done now ;D

Hugs Suz

• Ossa
    edited February 2012
    Options
    So quiet here.. hope you all enjoyed the beautiful weekend.. loved the sunshine, felt goodCool
  • suz45
    edited February 2012
    Options

Yes its been incredible out! Ive been spending a bit of time out on the back deck enjoying the sun on my face. Much nicer than rain :)

I went to a friends house this afternoon the watch the halftime show lol.. we talked for the most part throughout the game. There were 6 of us and no-one was really into football besides the fact that it was the superbowl game. Was nice to get out of the house. Im on my "good days" right now.... next chemo cycle starts Thurs (I think) so I have a few more days of feeling good.

Hopefully I can get some sort of organizing done, been stalling on this as it seems like such a big job. I find if I do too much Im down for at least 2 days. It gets to be pretty frustrating as Im used to going full tilt on a half dozen projects at a time on top of running a business.... lol, but times have a changed so need to figure out how to tackle some of this without hitting the fatigue button.

I sent an email off to "cleaning for a cause" or was it "cleaning for a reason" ?? Cant remember... (chemo brain) but was hoping to get signed up to have someone come in once a month to do a  housecleaning service for 4 months. The service is donated by cleaning companies for chemo patients. Dont think they had anything in the lower mainland which is too bad. Its all over the States but not as common in Canada. Would be great if it caught on here a little more. Every bit of help you can get goes such a long way. Lol, I would be happy with even getting the kitchen cabinet doors scrubbed. Everything sure came to a grinding halt right after my trip last fall when dh's spine issues started at the same time as I got the pleura drain & started another chemo. Heh heh, Now we're two old couch potatoes taking turns going to the kitchen to grab a snack or drink. 

Well that was definitely a whine festival, someone pass the cheese please! Wink Hope our BC Gals are quiet because there enjoying all this beautiful sunshine!

Hugs my dear Chickies, Suz

• akmom
    edited February 2012
    Options

Yes, wasn't it a great weekend weather-wise? Today I walked the pier and promenade in White Rock with an old friend. It was a good day :) Hope you all got a bit of fresh air - it makes everything better.

Even saw some shoots popping up in the garden - can't wait for daffodils!!!

Have a good week everyone.

• Ossa
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Quiet around here.. Hope everyone is well.. Had rad # 16 today  --12 to go.. Almost doneSmile
  • akmom
    edited February 2012
    Options

More than halfway there, Ossa! How are you doing? Do you have to go to Abbotsford for treatment?

• Ossa
    edited February 2012
    Options

akmom

Yes driving to Abby every day.. Nice new hospital so guess that is a benefit                                     So far doing great.. using LOTS of cream and saline soaks.. look forward to being done                      Did you end up with Dr Janzen as your surgeon?

• akmom
    edited February 2012
    Options

Yes, thankfully I had Dr. Janzen for my biopsy. I go back to see her on Feb 24 for the results.

Take care my dear.

• gail_p-m
    gail_p-m Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    Options

Hi Ossa and Suz45  and all you other B.C. ladies!!!

Please know how much I appreciated the support you gave me while I was waiting for my ultrasound.  I did post the results on the Waiting for Results sight where I had originally posted but wanted to write to both of you on this website.  Ossa, if you remember, my husband and I were planning a retirement trip which was going to be just a few days after the ultrasound -- if it went okay.  So I was gone for the past 2 1/2 weeks and came back a week ago during which time I was franticaly working away helping a friend's husband plan a surprise 50th party for his wife.  In a nutshell, I was told that there were 2 spots they were looking at and that they were cysts.  However, they wanted me to come back in 6 months for a repeat mammogram and ultrasound.  Gotta dislike those "messages on cell phones" as you don't get to ask any questions.  For instance, when I was pre-menopausal, I had cysts several times but no one ever suggested to repeat the mammogram in 6 months.  I am now at least 4 years past menopause and cysts are not supposed to be very common at this point.  HMMM!  And I've become a bit "addicted" to this site and come on to read it each evening and to hope and pray for good news for everyone.  Anyhow, last night I was reading the thread "How did you find your cancer?" and a number of people were on the 6 month "watch and wait" and that turned out to be cancer.  So it's food for thought.  I realize I can ask for my report but as you know, I get obsessive about things and I'm sure I'd find reason to worry for the next 5 months.  ((Too bad the name "chickenpants" is already taken))I really don't want this post to be about me. 

Wanted this post to say that I so appreciate your kindness and caring.   This is really an incredible website and I can feel the love and support each of you gives to one another.  I will be back on the site near the end of July to post my next results. But please know that I will be keeping all of you in my prayers and thoughts.

Gail

PS  Suz -- what an incredible son you have!  And I agree with you about those 'furbabies".  I have 2 of them and they are always "there" for you. 

• Ossa
    edited February 2012
    Options

Gail

So happy you got away on your retirement trip.. woohoo.. Also glad your questionable areas turned out to be cysts.. I have has a cyst in my good side and it is now completely gone. Had the needle biopsy and they found it was benign.. That was probably 10 years ago.. Don't let the come back in six month bit worry you. They are just keeping a close eye on you.. I have two co-workers currently on a call back list in six months,, both have cysts.. It is really quite common.. Remember also you can "read yourself scared" Sometimes it is better to not read all these sites. Knowledge is power as long as it is factual knowledge.. Look forward to reading your July post where you will tell us your cysts are gone and all is well.. Time to enjoy your retirement Cool

Hugs

Suz.. Feell better, miss your posts both here and on the canadian connection (( gentle hug))

• akmom
    edited February 2012
    Options

Suz, hope you are okay, thinking of you <3. Ossa, how many more treatments??

I wanted to update that I now have a diagnosis of intermediate grade DCIS, 3 mm (tiny), clear margins of 2 mm, no invasive carcinoma identified. Yay! Now waiting to hear from cancer agency to find out whether they recommend radiation.

I'm wondering if they will suggest an MRI, and if not, whether I can request one. I'm nervous about all the other 'activity' that was noted. The path report mentioned columnar cell change, florid foci of usual ductal hyperplasia, papillomatosis, multiple radial scars, and apocrine change. Whatever that is.

Is the purpose of the radiation to take care of all that stuff so it can't come back to haunt me? Or is the radiation just in case there are other areas of DCIS that they haven't identified? I'm confused... Dr. J. said the cancer agency would be in touch 'in the next few weeks'.

Always the waiting!!!

Hope everyone has a pleasant weekend.

• Ossa
    edited February 2012
    Options

akmom, yay no invasive carinoma.. woohoo for you .. Your pat report is quite different than mine so sorry can't help you on that one.. Where will you be going for treatment?? Rads. are good for the single cells that has "escaped" if there is any. Rads are a extra security to get those nasty cells. just in case.... I have 6 rads left.. then healing and back to life wohoo..

Have a great weekend.. Remember  if you have rough days during treatment.. They are doing this for you not to you.. That line helped me during chemoWink

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

hi ladies hope you are all well

• akmom
    edited March 2012
    Options

Just fine, Ossa, how about you? The day started here with snow on the ground, but it sure got nice later. I went for a long walk in my lunch break and enjoyed the fresh air and sunshine.

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

Yup we had snow too.. still have some in the back yard.. DS (works overnight on roadcrew as in freeway and highways) said it was horrible in Abbotsford.. Fisrt the snow, then it cleared and froze so Ice all over the place, he had to call in two extra guys just to keep roads decent... Did not get a chance to get out in the gourgeous weather yesterday as I was "burried" in paper workCry

Looks like we will have another decent day and am planning a long walk by the Fraser River  today

I am done rads and all I have left is my reconstruction.. Have an appointment with Dr Oxley (PS) in two weeks.. Guessing I will get recon in about six monthsLaughing

Have a great day enjoy the non rainy day 

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

Bump

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2012
    Options
    I'm Canadian -- just popped in to say "Hi"! 

How did I ever miss this thread? Too much to read, I think. Smile

I'm not here too often, but try to check in every few days.

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

Welcome gumshoe.. Glad you found us,, also check out another tread.. it's called the Canadian connection...Calling all Canadian ladies......You will find it under Breast Cancer survivors........  Ladies from all Feel free to laugh, cry, scream, jump for joy... whatever your heart desires.. We are all in this together.. Some are where you are in treatment, some are done ane everywhere in between.. I have just finished my radiation..woohoo.. had chemo first.. May- Oct 2011 Then mastectomy with tissue expander Nov 2011 After tissue expander fills where done (Jan2012) I started Radiation and finished March 5/2012 Still getting Herceptin until July and Tamoxifen for 5 years.. My reconstruction will be in about six months.. It is all doable

(((Hugs)))