Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ossa, thanks for the heads up about Suz. Will be praying for her.

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Gumshoe, better hope you end up with Sponge Bob fills - Patrick is a starfish Laughing .

So very sorry to hear about your latest setback. Am really hoping that everything has cleared up in time for your (FINALLY) surgery date. All my fingers and toes are crossed for you xoxo

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited June 2012
    Options

Gumshoe... sorry about your current trials and tribulations - get well soon.  xx

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thanks everyone -- I'm finally coming up for a breath now and so glad to be recovering from that NASTY c. diff. I never want to go through that again, and will be suspicious of any antibiotics from now on. To add insult to injury, the meds they put me on to get rid of the c. diff are the worst tasting pills I've ever had in my life. Have to choke them down with yogurt! 

akmom -- hahahaha! Yeah, I guess I don't want the starfish look.

Hope everyone else is well. The weather hasn't been great, but I have to say, I don't mind it one bit! 

• Tazzy
    edited June 2012
    Options

Happy to hear you are on the mend gumshoe.   Weather is supposed to be dry today in the interior.   But like you, I am not sorry its not a scorcher - very selfish.

I hope you continue to grow stronger.

• cat61
    cat61 Member Posts: 53
    edited June 2012
    Options

Wow, I haven't been on here for  a while. I have been working late for the last week, not used to the hours. I wanted to go back to work so bad, but it feels great to be back in the swing of things.

• gumshoe
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thanks Tazzy, I'm definitely feeling way better than I was, so I have my fingers and toes crossed that'll be it! Weather here is still cool and rainy, yay! 

catno, Glad to hear you're back at work but yes it must be pretty tiring. How long were you off after your surgery? Mine's coming up a little too quickly now -- next Thursday!

LOL, someone at work said, "So, you'll be off for how long? A week or so?" Ugh. Some people need to get a clue.

• cat61
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Gumshoe, I was off of work just over a month. I had the one mastectomy. I still cant pick up anything to heavy but for the mental part of it all, its worth going back. I was off of work for four months  about three weeks when i was diagnosed. I was off for four months to get married and move to the united states. I had to wait for my conditional parole . So it was nice to go back after surgery. 
  • jan-m
    jan-m Member Posts: 10
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Happy Canada Day!  Laughing
  • Tazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hope everyone managed to enjoy some Canada Day Festivities, stay dry and had minimal SE's for anyone with them.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited July 2012
    Options

Had a great Canada day with lots of family

• cat61
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I worked Canada Day, it was crazy busy. The day went by very quickly. But I celebrated Canada Day here in the states lol....... Wink
  • cat61
    edited July 2012
    Options

Oh, I forgot, is there still a plan to get together sometime soon ??????

• akmom
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Gumshoe, thinking of you, hope all went well today. Healing thoughts!!! Smile
  • gumshoe
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks akmom. I'm home now and really cranky!

My husband is dealing with it admirably :)

• akmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi, Gumshoe's husband Laughing and thanks for the update! I'm sure you are positively a paragon of patience with the cranky one ;)

So glad it's over, now just take one minute/hour/day at a time. Lots of virtual {{{{hugs}}}} coming your way. Rest, rest, rest and feel better soon. xoxoxoxo

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks akmom, that's so sweet! I'm still not moving very quickly (and I have two drains, ugh), but taking it a day at a time.

Hope you're enjoying our good weather, finally!

Oh, and my husband says "hi" back :)

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options

healing thoughts to you Gumshoe... hey and isn't that what husbands are forWink

Nice new picture Ossa.

Hope you are all enjoying the weather.   Just got back from a camping trip with friends.  Great fun, and worth all the aches now.

• cat61
    edited July 2012
    Options

Oh I want to go camping this summer . Hopefully one weekend, I don't have any holidays left for this year I used them up for surgery recovery........ Maybe one long weekend ? 

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2012
    Options

Oh, I just found this place, all Canadian women gather together. I live in Richmond BC, will turn at 45 very soon. First mammography this year, and finally categorized into six months follow-up after almost seven weeks testing journey. Like a time bomb, but I have to face this. During this waiting period (my next follow-up shall be early Nov.), I am studying as much as I can.

I just checked manulife website, it seems their critical illness insurance covers DCIS, I know some other similar insurance does not cover this. It also states, it will be effective from 91 days after purchase, in other words, if you are diagnosed within 90 days, then won't get any money from it. If you are diagnosed after 90 days, then the first 30 days are survive days, which means you can not get money during this period, I have not studied, what does this mean.

I want to know anybody here bought similar insurance during this waiting time? Are we still eligible for those kinds of insurance? If someone has rough picture how must it costs, that will be perfect.

I have not read through all the previous posts yet, sorry. Will do this tomorrow.

The other thing I want BC ladies to help me, I live here with my seven-year-old daughter, my husband works in Seattle, he visits us the weekend. I also have medical insurance in China, and my families there can definitely help and take care of me. If bad result comes out, then where I shall choose for treatment? My husband said, he can take off to help me, but I think this is not workable, I also have a girl to take care, she is very naught like a boy, OMG, how I envy those mums with a quiet girl.  Ladies in treatment, how much help you need your family to help you?

Thanks for all, it is great today that I found this!

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options

Cat:  I wanna get one more camping trip in before surgery Smile  Does the States get as many long weekends as we do in BC ? 

Welcome Cathy:   Sorry you have to be here but happy you found this group.  Sorry, cant help with insurance questions... maybe someone else on here will be able to.  Good luck.

Hope the rest of you lovely Canuck ladies are managing to enjoy your days whatever you are doing.

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012
    Options

Welcome Cathy! Sorry, I can't help with insurance information either, but good for you for doing so much research.

Hope everyone else is enjoying the warm weather. I admit, I prefer the cooler seasons :)

• akmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hey Gumshoe, hope you are feeling better every day. Glad you are keeping in touch here, I like to 'hear' from you and know that you're okay. Take good care and think cool, healing thoughts :)

• Ossa
    edited July 2012
    Options

Welcome Cathy.. sorry you have to be here..Can't help with the insurance question.... I do use Manulife as my extended medical, but it is through work and have used them for the past 12 years.. They were very helpful

• cathy67
    cathy67 Member Posts: 411
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks! I will find time to visit their office.

• cat61
    edited July 2012
    Options

Welcome cathy67, I am very glad you found us  !!!! I cant help with the insurance information.

Tazzy , I am not sure if the States have more long weekends lol...... but we went camping in the Pacific Penninsula, and it was beautiful . We spent ten days in the area and had a great time. It was a lot of fun and theres a lot to see!!!!! We want to go again but have to wait till next year, what with school, cash and finding the time. Laughing 

• gumshoe
    edited July 2012
    Options

akmom -- Yes, I'm getting much better, thank you! I'm glad that part is done: now back to a day at a time :) I was supposed to get my last drain out today and the nurse didn't show up! My husband had to go buy surgical gloves to re-bandage my first drain site. Hahaha -- he has been so versatile: chef, butler, nurse, and errand runner.

I'm glad to see you checking in, and I hope your summer is going well. Any vacations planned?

• Ossa
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi BC ladies.. for those of you in the fraser valley.. how did you enjoy the thunderstorm tonight...

Only one week until 7 relatives comes from Norway,, lokking forward to a fun three weeks

• akmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

Welcome Cathy, I am like Ossa and have Manulife extended health through work, but don't know about the critical illness coverage. Hope you can find some answers soon.  

Ossa, I'm near White Rock and we had no storm, but I hear from my daughter on the Island that it hit there earlier.

Gumshoe, daughter number one is expecting grandchild number two (due next week) so I'm using my vacation time for a visit. My daughter wants me to come and stay for a couple of weeks and lend a hand with the two-and-a-half year old - and I think I may need another week after that to recover!

The latest excitement in my life is that my doctor sent me for blood work and based on the results he's 99% positive I have celiac disease - but I have to wait until October for a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Meanwhile I have to keep consuming gluten, which apparently is making me sick. Truly, I have missed more work for medical reasons in the last few months than probably my entire working life up till now. Anyway - it will be fantastic if eliminating gluten gives me my life back; I can't wait for October.

Hope that you ladies enjoy the weekend and also that you can find a bright spot in every day... and I will be doing my best to follow my own advice :)

• Tazzy
    edited July 2012
    Options

Morning:

Cat: DH & I try to do a couple of road trips a year - I may look into the Pacific Peninsula for next year.

Gumshoe:  Isn't it amazing that our DH's have become so versatile when they HAVE to SmileHeres to a quick recovery for you.

Ossa: in the Okanagan we had a lightening storm... thankfully no fires started.  Have fun with your relatives - I love playing tourist in my own town.   Have they visited before?

akmom: That news sucks.   Hope you can find some kind of happy medium until October.

Hope everyone can have a good weekend with smiles.

Take care