Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Canadians in British Columbia

Options

Comments

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Ossa,

Thanks for the info and the warm welcome :) I will check out the other thread too.

You've certainly been through the wringer but great that you're finished radiation!

I see you're in Chilliwack -- very nice area, although we are usually just driving through on our way east!

• lindsayhopew
    lindsayhopew Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

Just "joined" although finished treatment at the end of November. Had lumpectomy, chemo and radiation. Are there any others finding after effects of muscle aches and pains making life difficult? Hate to complain as I'm so glad to be a survivor, but I feel as if I've aged 10 years!

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Lindsayhope.. welcome.

Glad you are done your treatment.. You are not alone in feeling like you have aged.. I feel and look like I have aged 10 years, I do have some pains in my knees, but I am on Tamoxifen and joint pain is a side effect..Thinking I should start yoga. SIL tells me it really helps her joints

Have a great evening/night

• gumshoe
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi lindsayhopew

Welcome to a fellow Lower Mainlander! I'm closer to Langley than Surrey.

Glad you are finished your treatment. I have lots of aches and pains but I think it has more to do with my current love affair with my couch!

Your body has been through a lot, so I expect it's still in recovery mode. You might want to look at some of the post-treatment threads also, to see if others have similar symptoms.

• lindsayhopew
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi, Ossa,

What a great site this is! I wish I'd found it when I was starting out a year ago. I've done well, but the aches and pains in my arms and hands are wearing me down, just when I should be feeling up! My oncologist, Dr. Ashley Davidson, whom I adore, told me to go away and put it all behind me!Smile Except for check-ups and a mammogram in May, which I know will worry me.

• lindsayhopew
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi,Gumshoe!  Love the name.  You're right about the body having been through a lot. I finished my radiation at the end of November, so it's not really that long. I'm trying to get back to the gym on a regular basis, but I go three times one week, then nothing for the next three weeks 'cos my hands are so sore. Excuses! Excuses!  I put on weight during the chemo and can't seem to get a handle on it. Of course the pills don't help! I'm on Letrozole,  and also Metformin for a clinical study. Hopefully when our Spring finally comes, it will entice me out of doors and off the couch!

• suz45
    suz45 Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2012
    Options

A warm welcome Gumshoe & Lindsay {{{hugs}}} so glad you found us.

Ossa, so happy your rads are done! What a great feeling to have that all behind you now!

I found Bikram yoga (hot yoga) to be absolutely incredible for working out all the aches & pains of surgeries and treatments. I started it after my second round of surgeries chemo & rads. I really felt like it was helping my body in all ways as well as dropping off the unwanted chemo weight. I went to the Richmond studio as it was closest to my home. Most places have some sort of deal for your first month trial sort of thing. I got hooked after about 3 sessions (the first two I was just about crawling out) Its not for everyone but if you can give it a try.

Sorry I haven't been around much lately, but Im dealing with this darn pain that's absolutely unbearable! My CT scan got moved from the end of the month to this thurs (the 22nd) and I had my bone scan this last thurs. Ive also got an appointment with the pain management clinic at VCA right after the ct is done. Its such a relief to know that we can hopefully find out whats causing the pain and then deal with it. Also my Oncologist changed all my pain meds which has definitely helped, its still there but its bearable.

I went off the oxy & gabba's and am now on hydromorphone and lyrica. We've been playing with the dosage to try to get some relief without having me sitting on the couch drooling. I think we have it and am hoping once we have the scan results it will show whats going on.... Im thinking something is pressing on a nerve somewhere and its zapping my left hand, elbow and arm (at its worst) The scary part is "whats causing it" Im wondering if the cancer is on the move again.... but am trying not to dwell on it.

Im so glad my Oncologist took this all seriously and got all the scan dates moved up and the meds changed. I was ready to go the Emergency Room route as I couldnt take another day of the pain.

Anyway, hope you all are well and enjoying the sun when it decides to peek out.

Much love & Hugs Suz

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

Suz.. So glad to hear from you.. Have been worrying so much about you.. Sorry you still have so much pain.. Hope they firgure it out and hoping it is "just" a nerve being pinched.. DS was on the same meds as you a few years back.. He is type 1 Diabetic and was super skinny (6'6" 150 lbs) and in constant pain.. In and out of hospital.. Felt I had a chair with my name on it in Emerg.. He was put on morhine, but when the headaches became horrible he was switched to oxy and gabba,, then to morhinne and Lyrica.. Lyrica worked great for him ( hope it does for you as well)  He was on Lyrica for quite a while.. Happily he is now on insulin pump and has gained about 40 lbs has a great life and no painkillers Smile

Looking in to yoga, but as I am a beginner (and then some) I need to find a super easy class.. I am not very flexableCry.. Remember when I was a little girl my mom told me I would never be a gymnist.. She was rightWink..

Will be with you in thought tomorrow. Pleae let us know how thing turn out. Wishing away your pain.. wishing wishing wishing..

Gentle ((((Hug)))

• suz45
    suz45 Member Posts: 85
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks Ossa {{{hugs}}}

When I went to Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) I had never tried any yoga before it. A girlfriend of mine was really into it and convinced me to go with her. The classes were made up of ALL levels of people. The instructors always made sure you only went as far into the pose as you were comfortable with while still holding the integrity of it. I LOVED it after the third one. It was hard but you really felt the benefit afterwards. Unfortunately With all the issues and the pleura drain I cant do it anymore. Who knows maybe I'll look into a gimpy yoga (for peeps who have parts missing)

Im really nervous about the results of both the scans. I cant say much at home right now as dh is in one of his purging moods.... his answer to anything right now is throw stuff away. He gets like this any time there's a chance of my cancers progression. I think its fear of how is he gonna deal with all the stuff when Im gone. I understand it but it doest help me when he gets like this. We both know somethings going on... just not what it is. He went through a week of me in tears every night as the pain was so bad. Now he's scared again... cancer really sucks!

I just read about an event "Nite of Hope" a fundraiser for BC in Richmond. Lol, sent them a long letter of who are they inviting as survivors? I havent heard anything and it doesnt get any more fighting to survive once you hit that magic stage IV number. Wonder if they will respond to it? Lol

Gotta run, seems there's more purging to do Tongue out

Hugs beautiful ladies, Suz

• gumshoe
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thanks suz45 for the welcome. Sorry to hear you're in so much pain. I hope they can figure it out and get it under control. Good luck with the scan -- at least they expedited it, something that doesn't always happen in this system of ours...

I lived and worked in Richmond for many years, and my husband still drives there every day. When I first lived there and we had actual winters, we used to ice-skate in the cabbage and strawberry fields! Sigh. Those were the days.

I am one who has never tried yoga. They offer classes at work but I'm afraid I'm going to pop out a hip or something -- I'm not too terribly flexible. I know so many people who swear by it though, so maybe something I should at least try... 

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012
    Options
    Hi ladies.  I have been reading but not posting, and decided to join in.  Last week I went to a talk given by a PT who specializes in women's health, and she said that yoga is a great form of exercise, but she wouldn't recommend Bikram, or any other hot yoga for women who are at risk for lymphedema.  It makes sense, since we are told to stay away from hot tubs and saunas.  I'm like you, Gumshoe, not the most flexible, but our local Y offers a course in "chair yoga" that I am considering.  Sounds like a good way to start.
  • gumshoe
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi dutchgirl6

Chair yoga! Yes, that sounds like it would be more my speed! And at least if I fall, it's not far to the ground :)

• Ossa
    edited March 2012
    Options

Suz.. I am thinking of you today.. Wishing away your pain and docs coming back telling you it is "just" nerve pain. Gentle hug

• dutchgirl6
    dutchgirl6 Member Posts: 322
    edited March 2012
    Options
    suz45, sending you positive thoughts and hoping that the scans show no progression.
  • Ossa
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hope you all have a great easter weekend

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks Ossa. What a glorious day it is here in the Lower Mainland! Hope everyone is able to enjoy it. xo

• gumshoe
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hope you all had a good Easter too.

We sure did -- we even managed some gardening. I can't believe how warm it has been this weekend. I don't mind rain, but this was such a nice change!

• Ossa
    edited April 2012
    Options

Good morning ladies... Had my last appointment with my RO woohoo. One less doc. to deal with... Life is good.. Muga scan Monday (only two left)  five Herceptin treatments left.. not that I am counting Wink. Exchange surgery within a month and starting back at work on Monday.. Starting three days a week four hours a day.. Slowly working up to regular hours.. (Will be off for exchange surgery before I am back to reg. hours) My boss told me he will chase me out after four hours..Told me he is going to watch to make sure I do not work longer than I am supposed to.. The person doing my job is transferring so timing is good for me to go back, My boss is giving me a manager to "use" so I can teach him to do the part of my job I will not get around to. Will get to use and abuse him for as long as I need him. Feel good to be appreciatedSmile

Have a great weekend

• akmom
    akmom Member Posts: 98
    edited April 2012
    Options

Thanks for the update Ossa, sounds like things are all arranged for you at work. Glad your boss is so supportive and hope all goes according to plan. Enjoy your weekend too - isn't it beautiful out there right now!

• She
    She Member Posts: 131
    edited April 2012
    Options

BUMP!!!

Suz, haven't seen you post for a while, how are you?

How's everyone else doing?  Ossa, how's work?

I'm coming up on 16 years, officially 6 years past my 'predicted' expiry date lol.

My best to all our BC / BC friends :)

• Ossa
    edited April 2012
    Options

She.. work is tiring.. Only supposed to work 4 hour, but have yet to make it out of there on time.. Sooooo much to do. Usually have a full 8 + hours, now try to do it in four,,, somethings gotta give...

So glad your expiry date has been postponed.. hopefully for many many years..

I see a few of the BC /BC ladies on the Canadian Connection.

SUZ WHERE ARE YOU (calling her)

• Ossa
    edited May 2012
    Options

Bump

• She
    edited May 2012
    Options

Bump ...

Suz, praying your pain is under control and you are doing well.  We miss You!

• Ashlyn
    Ashlyn Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi fellow British Columbians!

New to the boards and found this thread... I have had most of my dealings since my DX at the Vancouver BC Cancer Agency but been doing my chemo tx in a small town outside of the city...Im an ex-Vancouverite but still consider it my 'hood'.

Surgery was at Mount St. Josephs back in February and had a pretty good experience with staff there. I had the pleasure of having the amazing plastic surgeon Dr. Van Laeken who did immediate reconstruction at the time of of the mastectomy... anyone else know her awesomeness?

Since I am only 28, my fiance and I did embryo preservation at PCRM back in March. Curious if there are any others in BC who did IVF before they started chemo?

Anyways, just wanted to say hi to all the other West Coasters out there! :) 

Peace x 

• gumshoe
    edited May 2012
    Options

Welcome Ashley B! Yes, my sister had Dr. Van Laeken many years ago, and loved her. She's a great surgeon.

There's also another thread you might like:  http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/55/topic/700016

• Ossa
    edited May 2012
    Options

Welcome AshleyB.. Sorry you have to be here.. This tread is pretty quiet.. you should check out "the Canadian connection... Calling all Canadian women" an awsome tread with women of all ages.. loads of knowledge

• She
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Ashley, and welcome.

Hey Lower Mainland friends, how about a little get together?  I'm out of the country right now, but will be back next month.  Meeting Breast Friends is a great experience.  I had the pleasure of meeting four of our American sisters last August at Vinnie's. (Waving at the Nipfest Girls!)

Suz, we still miss you and hope you'll come back to post when you're up to it.

• Ossa
    edited May 2012
    Options

I am in.. (((((Suz))))) Miss your beautiful face on here

• Ashlyn
    Ashlyn Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2012
    Options

gumshoe: Dr Van Laeken is the best! I am so pleased with her work and even how attentive she was after surgery. I had some horrible reactions to some of the pain drugs (fainting, vomiting) and she was on the phone with us three times a day to make sure I was doing ok. You dont normally see that with regular doctors let alone surgeons.  thanks for the link to the other thread!

ossa: thanks for welcome... ill check that out! 

Off the top of your heads - does anyone know of any other 20-something, early 30-something women in British Columbia who are on this message board??

I'll make my way over to the other Canadian thread!  

• Ossa
    edited May 2012
    Options

bump