Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    Options

Constipation runs in my family. Also I am taking an antidepressant that is working but causes dryness throughout my respiratory and intestinal systems. I know this is controversial, but my GI doc has had doing Miralax daily in addition to high fiber diet and plenty of water. It doesn't cure the constipation problems but really helps me have a regular bowel movement like normal people about every other day.

Peggy

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    Options

Hi Sas - I chose gentianviolet to remind me of my mother (a nurse) who used to paint my brother and me with gentian whenever we needed a scrap or cut tended. Loved the way it remained for days, like a tattoo in the 1940's and weirdly iridescent in some light. I was even told to use it on the tongue of my third baby because he developed thrush. When my boys were growing up I painted tattoos of bunnies etc. (occasionally) on their arms with gentian and I have a bottle in my medicine cabinet now. I do believe it is an herb. Curiosity has me wondering about the long story of your avatar.

flavia - thanks for the suggestion, I have bookmarked the Amazon product. Previously my experience has been that mag. oxide did not work for me but mag. citrate did. But the product sounds interesting enough to save it for plan B.

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    Options

I (hopefully) can help with this. Before I was diagnosed (last week), I had suffered from chronic constipation my entire life, off and on. Before a recent two week trip (we all know how travel impacts our bowels), I had suffered long enough. I seriously wanted to die. I finally saw a doctor. He prescribed a somewhat new to the market medication called Linzess. I was willing to try anything at this point. I had mixed success with it and finally settled on the following: 1 290 pill per day + 1 dose of miralax. Works like a charm. This medication is not a laxative so it doesn't tear up your bowels like a laxative. Also, he said you could take miralax up to 4x a day and it will not hurt you at all. This, too, is not traditional laxative. There is also a 145 pill. This combination has literally changed my life. But in reading the reviews on a constipation message board, it doesn't work for many people and I think it is because they are not taking any miralax along with it. If i miss the miralax dose, the linzess doesn't work. If this helps one person, I will be so happy. I don't know about combining this med with any cancer drugs yet since I am new here.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

HI Trvler Thanks Here's the monograph in full

http://www.linzess.com/?WT.srch=1&guid=1SO8FSmX&reference_ID=231&MTD=2&PDS=Y

What is LINZESS?

LINZESS® (linaclotide) is a prescription medication used in adults to treat irritable bowel syndrome with constipation (IBS-C) and chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC). “Idiopathic” means the cause of the constipation is unknown.              It is not known if LINZESS is safe and effective in children.        

IMPORTANT RISK INFORMATION

• Do not give LINZESS to children who are under 6 years of age. It may harm them.
    • You should not give LINZESS to children 6 to 17 years of age. It may harm them.
    • Do not take LINZESS if a doctor has told you that you have a bowel blockage (intestinal obstruction).

Before you take LINZESS, tell your doctor:

• If you have any other medical conditions.
    • If you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if LINZESS will harm your unborn baby.
    • If you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. It is not known if LINZESS passes into your breast milk.
    • About all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and             herbal supplements.

Side Effects

LINZESS can cause serious side effects, including diarrhea, the most common side effect, which can sometimes             be severe. Diarrhea often begins within the first 2 weeks of LINZESS treatment.          Stop taking LINZESS and call your doctor right away if you get severe diarrhea during treatment with LINZESS.    

Other common side effects of LINZESS include gas, stomach-area (abdominal) pain, swelling, or a feeling of         fullness or pressure in your abdomen (distension). Tell your doctor if you have any side effect that bothers you         or that does not go away. These are not all the possible side effects of LINZESS. For more information, ask your         doctor or pharmacist.    

In addition, call your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room right away if you develop unusual or         severe stomach-area (abdominal) pain, especially if you also have bright red, bloody stools or black stools that         look like tar.    

How to Take LINZESS

Take LINZESS exactly as your doctor tells you to take it. Take LINZESS one time each day on an empty stomach, at         least 30 minutes before your first meal of the day. Swallow LINZESS capsules whole. Do not break or chew the capsules.         If you miss a dose, skip the missed dose. Just take the next dose at your regular time. Do not take 2 doses at the         same time.    

Storing LINZESS

Store LINZESS at room temperature (68°F to 77°F). It is important to keep LINZESS in the bottle it comes in.         Keep the LINZESS bottle tightly closed, in a dry place, and keep the desiccant (the drying agent) in the bottle.          Keep LINZESS out of the reach of children.    

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA.         Visit www.FDA.gov/medwatch or         call 1‑800‑FDA‑1088.    

Please also see Medication Guide within          full Prescribing Information.    

Ask your doctor about LINZESS. For more information, call 1‑800‑LINZESS.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi, Trvler, The only cautionary I have is that it's a new medication. There are two concepts about medications that should be kept in mind.

Before market: This is the time period that a drug is in the clinical trials completion phase. It then goes through the approval process by the FDA. The way a drug acts is then written into the monograph as are the other particulars. They all follow the same sequence.

After Market: this is the time after a drug is approved by the FDA. In this time period reports to the FDA may identify problems with the drug that weren't identified in the clinical trials. A drug may be withdrawn from the marketplace if too many serious problems are found with the drug.

I bring this up b/c new drugs are most likely to show after market problems within the first couple of years. All drugs have consequences.

• trvler
    trvler Member Posts: 931
    Options

sas - I agree. I hate taking ANY medication but I was so miserable at the point I started taking it, I didn't care any more.

• knmtwins
    knmtwins Member Posts: 438
    Options

Did any of you know multiple states have 'access to private bathroom' laws, allowing those with medical conditions who need a bathroom ASAP access to the 'employee only' bathroom. I had NO idea, but would have loved to know that while going through chemo. Here is a link to a map. If your state is on it, then search to see what the requirements are. Mine, Maryland, has a card your doctor has to sign. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/01/12/restroom-access-law/21652147/

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Trvler , yes when you got to go and nothings working, you need to do what you can do. Good Luck. Thanks for alerting us to this new drug

knw--- thanks " nice to know info"

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

We've talked about man made drugs, natural God given drugs, plans a&b&c. Now some how, we need to bring everything together. Not sure what the final outcome will be b/c it's a large question. If it were easy none of us would be here. It will evolve. Hope I can do the task justice and that it will help.

These thoughts were started by a member. Actually a couple here and elsewhere. Constipation is one problem of the larger issue of colon problems caused by an even larger issue of cancer. How do we solve the one problem of constipation when the overriding issue is so controlling b/c of the treatments?

We need tools to guide us. I'll try and put together what I can.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

When we contact a new doc for a problem, they take a history. In a well taken history, it's as if the physician is putting together a story. That story is done in a consistent sequence of questions. The sequence done well, assures that all pieces of the story are included and that nothing is missed. Once the history is complete the doc will develop an Impression(s). of the problem. It's not defined as a diagnosis yet b/c the doc has to gather the data to support what they believe to be the problem.

The data is obtained first from the physical exam. From the physical exam the doc determines if further diagnostic testing is needed i.e. labs, scans etc. Once the data is completely gathered then the doc puts it all together by comparing the patients information from the history to what the physical information is saying. When I use the word "saying" in this application, it's as if the information is talking to us and we are talking back.

I'll assume you have seen "House".  When Dr. House starts to evaluate a patients problem he writes all the possibilities of the patients problem on a reverse white board. Then he starts to talk about why each is or isn't a possibility. He crosses conditions/diseases off the list based on information elicited from the patient or the tests. This process is called Ruling Out(R/O). Once all the things that aren't possible are ruled out, what is left is/are the possible. Then the possibles are given a last look for completeness of meeting all the historically expected signs and symptoms that meet a condition/diseases. The physical evidence goes through the same last look for completeness. Once this is done then the doc will state a diagnosis. A diagnosis is not entered into lightly b/c from the point of committing to a diagnosis, all that is done from that point on is directed at correcting, stabilizing, curing the condition or disease.

If I have defined this for you well, then you will understand that history, physical examination, diagnostic testing must be complete in order to do the job. If this is not done thoroughly, key information may be missed. One small piece of info may mean the difference.

I'm going to make a form that you can do a history, physical, and diagnostic history. Then a treatment plan form. This will be your tool to help you organize the information for your problem. With this approach of organizing your information, you will be able to communicate better with your doc.

Defintions: Chief Complaint (CC) what the patient states is the problem. All contacts are started with this phrase

Pertinent Past Medical History (PPMH): eliciting facts of the past that are pertinent to the present problem. Also, stated as past medical History (PMH).

History of present Illness (HPI) eliciting the facts of the present Chief Complaint.

Review of Systems: Physical exam(PE) of the body head to toe by evaluating the seven systems of the body

Impressions: development of a list of possibilities of conditions or disease based on the History & PE.

Plan: determining test necessary to confirm Impressions.

Record: tracking plan

Miscellaneous abbreviations :Signs and symptoms (S/S or s/s) A sign is something you can see i.e. red skin, rash, irregular pulse. A symptom is something you feel i.e. itch, heart palpitation.

Will add info here as the forms develop

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Chief Complaint:_______________________

History of present Illness:

1. Onset of CC Date(actual or approximate)__________________________________________________

2. Location of pain associated with CC_________________________________________________________________

3. Radiation of pain assoc.with CC:does it go anywhere away from the center of pain_______________________________

4. Quality: Descriptive adjective to describe discomfort i.e thumping, searing, cramping, gripping, burning, urgency, swelling

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

5. Quantity: Describe how often _____________________________________________________________________

6. Intensity: Use pain scale__________________________________________________________________________

7. Aggravation: What makes it worse?________________________________________________________________

8. Alleviation: What makes it better?__________________________________________________________________

9. Medications used to modify s/s: Drug &dose, frequency--daily, every other day, once a week etc   _______________

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

10.Additional information: Allergies to drugs--what happened?___________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Allergies to food--what happened?_________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Notes:___________________________________________________________________________________________

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pertinent Past medical History:

Has this condition ever occurred in the past?_________________________________________________

What was done to resolve the issue.__________________________________________________________________

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Physical Exam: Thinking about how to use this here

under thought

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Date    Test        Diagnosis                Plan                                                 Outcome

___________________________________________________________________________________________

__________________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Saved for pain scale

• sas-schatzi
    Options
    never heard of it funny pictureimageimageimageimage

imageimage

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Bump

• sas-schatzi
    Options

C-DIFFICLE
    I was researching something else and came across this article on C-DiF published in 2014. It encompasses all the latest info on C-Diff. I haven't read the whole thing, but I figured I'd put it here so as not to lose it.

Medscape is an Evidence Based site. You do not have to be a medical/nursing type to register. It's free too :)

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/820829

• dsgirl
    dsgirl Member Posts: 193
    Options

Sassy, what a good laugh I got out of the above, the dogs taking about the movie Constipation.

Thanks for the laugh. I have read this thread from start to finish, since the C is my companion, has been for most of my life, tried the remedies listed in diff. posts, and finally lucked out, we are all so different and what works for one does not work for someone else. I now use Cascara Sagrada and LBS II every other day, just one capsule of each, and have finally found the magic bullet(s) for me.

I also eat a serving of prunes every morning, 4-5 only. Hoping it may help someone else.

dsgirl

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,170
    Options

SAS - I've been trying to determine which or how many of my vitamin supplements are causing constipation. So far I've found D-3 and Calcium. I am taking calcium citrate rather than carbonate as I see recommended, but am taking double the recommended dose on instructions from my GYN. Chemo pretty much threw me back into serious osteopenia. We're trying to avoid either biosphonphonates or infusions for the bones.

Any other vitamin supplements that you know of? Looks like if I eat 2 prunes every other day and take colace every 3 days I can manage, but what a pain.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Oh ah, ran into something else today that might help. But I was crossing topics....I'll see if I can figure it out. tomorrow.

BTW HI

Lost in shit,  oops --poop.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Minustwo. I found a Web MD page the referenced constipation

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6152/cholecalciferol-vitamin-d3-oral/details#side-effects

"Side Effects: Vitamin D at normal doses usually has no side effects. If you have any unusual effects, contact your doctor or pharmacist promptly.

If your doctor has directed you to take this medication, remember that he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Too much vitamin D can cause harmful high calcium levels. Tell your doctor right away if any of these signs of high vitamin D/calcium levels occur: nausea/vomiting, constipation, loss of appetite, increased thirst, increased urination, mental/mood changes, unusual tiredness."

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

The problem I have with what they say IS they don't define WHY. They don't define at what doses that would reasonably lead to problems. The statement is flat.

I will bring some info related to vitamin D that I gathered on another thread.  The recommended amount of Vitamin D is changing. DRASTICALLY. So, drastically, it's almost scary that it could be so different. I was able to locate a researcher from Creighton University. Dr Heaney has made it his life's work. Put links to his web page and read as much as possible that he has written. His writings are written as if our grandfather's were trying to teach us something. I love writers like this.

It may seem off the topic of Constipation, but it all goes together in the end.

With calcium there was a particular reference I saw yesterday. It explained all the different calcium products. I will bring that back when I find it.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Decided to link to the Vitamin D info on the other thread. Please, take time to read my posts re vitamin d :)

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/102/topic/826526?page=4#idx_99

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

This is an article related to women taking Vita D and Calcium supplements. God bless you if you can plow through the whole thing. Page 5 has the conclusion which I am putting here, below the link to the entire article

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/834982

"Conclusions(Pg5)

In summary, episodes of hypercalcemia and hypercalciuria are common events with calcium and vitamin D supplementation; they are unrelated to vitamin D dose or serum 25(OH)D level. Whether they are caused by calcium alone or by the combination of calcium with vitamin D remains uncertain. Further investigation is needed to better define individuals who are likely to develop hypercalciuria and hypercalcemia, but a high baseline 24-hour urine calcium level is one predictor of hypercalciuria. Before the start of calcium and vitamin D supplementation, it is advisable to measure blood and urine calcium levels and to perform a follow-up measurement within 3 months."

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Found this link re: Omega3 & Omega6 essential Fatty acids. There was a previous discussion re: these esstential fatty acids-EFA's,  and overall health.

This is a good description of EFA's I will relook at the pervious discussion and see how it compares to the info from Dr. Mercola's page.

The study of EFA's is just that---study. It is not a subject to read once and think you are going to know it.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/11/11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-fatty-acids.aspx

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ran out of brain cells---need to go play :)

The question: What is the difference between the OTC calcium products? What I'm trying to find is list of names? QWhy use one product over another? Backed up by Evidenced Based Research.

If someone finds this info -----please post

• minustwo
    Options

Whew SAS - great batch of knowledge. Your Dr. Heaney find is great. Thanks.

That said, my gyn & I 'cured' my osteopenia before BC with 4 Citracal w/D a day (split dosage) and an extra 1000IU Vit D per day, along with my regular Centrum Silver. That totals 1480 mg Calcuim Citrate and 2500 IU Vit D. Also lots of weight bearing exercise. Before BC I had scaled down to 2 Citracal a day since bones were back to normal. Chemo pretty much destroyed my hip bone readings on the DEXA scan so I'm back to 4 per day again. Unfortunately not back to the exercise.

I'm also taking 2 Omega-3 (natural wild Alaskan Salmon Oil) 1000 mg each, which I had to quit when I started chemo and have started back again - but I don't think that is causing the constipation. Nor the B-6 & B-12 that the neurologist recommended for neuropathy.

Calcium citrate is supposed to be easier on your gut than calcium carbonate. I'll look for the reference later this week.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

MT glad you enjoyed Dr. Heaney. Take a shot. Email Dr. Heaney and run the scenario by him. His main work was osteopenia/osteoporosisalong with Vita D. Include the constipation problem. It'd be great to hear what his take on it is. Include your age at time of dexa's and your T scores. Without age and T score, he won't be able to give an opinion.

Isn't it odd, all we've been through and the exercise that we have control over, is so easy to procrastinate on. I do it in spurts a few weeks at a time. Get to feeling great and fall off to nothing, till some body part starts screaming at me to do something.

I think his email was rjheaney@creighton.edu. Yup, I guessed right.

What I wish we could find out definitively---- is the exclusion of fish oil a Evidence Based conclusion or just theory. With everything that OMEGA3 does in the body, excluding it in the most critical time seems wrong.

Well, have fun with contacting Heaney :) 

• minustwo
    Options

Thanks for the email SAS. I'll also ask about the infusion my MO recommended for bones which I skipped. No way I wanted more infusions this year. Major extended family doings this weekend for a the first nephew's christening, but I'll put it on my list for next week.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Cool MT let us know what he says :)

Ask him what type of oral calcium is the best. That'll lighten up the research :)

• sas-schatzi
    Options