Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• Jlynn0807
    Jlynn0807 Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013

Shore....another neighbor!  Nice to "meet" you Laughing

Karen....if you don't mind...where is this meeting Tuesday night?  I am trying to find a place to go myself.

Thanks.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited March 2013

you might also check out with Gildas Club in Hackensack.  I know they have groups there and think they may be able to direct you to some or...help you start one.  A pal is the director so ask for Karen

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited March 2013

Shore1; thank you. I agree too about Joan's new photo.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2013

Why thank you!

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2013

Jlynn - 

Off Nottingham is definitely close - we're right near Mercer County Park!  Maybe sometime you, me, and Shore can get together for coffee or something.  Feel free to PM me (either or both of you).

About the support group, I think Karen was referring to the one at the Breast Center of East Windsor.  I've never been to the support group, but that's where my surgeon practices (and I had my biopsy) - they were all really nice people there, so I'm sure they run a nice group.  Here's the location: http://www.princetonhcs.org/phcs-home/what-we-do/university-medical-center-of-princeton-at-plainsboro/what-we-do/additional-clinical-care--services/breast-health-center/directions.aspx

• NYCchutzpah
    NYCchutzpah Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2013

Nice to find a Jersey group although I still consider myself a NYer. Leonia here. Gilda's in Hackensack has a weekly meeting for ppl living with cancer on Tues from 12:30 - 2 The support group at Englewood Hosp meets at a time that is inconvenient for me

• Speedy4
    Speedy4 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013

I met with an oncologist near me at Valley Hospital and am scheduled to start chemo this Thursday. I really liked her but I think it would be silly not to get a second opinion. Does anyone have recommendations for MOs from MSK, Mt. Sinai, etc?

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

my onco is at Hackensack, close to you it seems

Donna McNamara, she is very good and got me through all, good luck

• melissa119
    melissa119 Member Posts: 127
    edited March 2013

Speedy...I second proudtospin... I also use dr Donna McNamara at Hackensack and absolutely love her! She is wonderful. If you are in that area I would get a second from her. Good luck :-)

Melissa

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

I am proud to say that McNamara has promised to end our time in a few months as she got me to the end!

Call her!

• melissa119
    edited March 2013

Wow proudtospin!! I just got goosebumps! So happy for you. I can't wait til I get to that point. Gonna be a while but will get there :-)

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited March 2013

Annette, Jlynn, Shore - I'm also a neighbor.  I'm about fifteen minutes from Mercer County Park, in Trenton.  Would love to meet everyone for coffee sometime.

Sandy

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

melissa, so wish the best for you, yeap do as the doc says sure works! 

• melissa119
    edited March 2013

Proudtospin... About that has she given u any kinds of instructions or tips on keeping this thing gone!!? So far she really hasn't said anything to me. Like as far as foods, supplements etc?

Melissa

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

Melissa, I told her I wanted to loose weight and was going to do WW, she was fine with that

She also advised me (actually answered my question) regarding if soy was bad.  At the time of my diagnosis it was all over the news about how bad it was.  She said do not go nuts worrying about it but don't switch to soy milk.  I also remember meeting with a hospital nuitritionist at the start of my rads.  They reviewed the vitamins I was taking (all were fine) but advised me to get my antioxidents from food not from suppliments.

McNamara has always been great at answering my questions....I would show up with a little list of my questions.  She also is good at calming me down as my BP at that place is over the top!

• melissa119
    edited March 2013

Proudtospin my BP is always high there too! Lol. Yes my BS also believes that you dont need supplements as long as u r eating right. I am trying to lose weight now. I will ask her some questions at my next followup. Thnx!

Melissa

• Speedy4
    edited March 2013

MSK's first available appointment wasn't until mid April (and I don't want to wait that long).  I was able to get an appointment at Hackensack this Friday morning with Dr. Graham. Anyone heard anything about her?

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

Speedy! She was my MO at MSK in Basking Ridge until she left to go to Hackensack! I loved her! She answered all questions no matter how many times I asked and she would call me with results so I wouldn't have to wait till my next appointment. She is young and has two small boys so she got where I was coming from when I would start having meltdowns in the office in the beginning and was worried about how this would affect my kids. I remember at my second taxol treatment I had a reaction and she came over to the infusion area immediately to see how I was. So I cannot say it enough she was wonderful and I was heartbroken to see her leave MSK. Good luck and let me know what you think if her.

• Speedy4
    edited March 2013

Thanks Karen! I like the MO I met with at Valley, Dr. Ligresti, but looking for a little reassurance that someone else would recommend the same treatment regimen before i dive in. I'm glad you liked Dr. Graham! Let ou know how it goes....

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

Please do and give her a big hug from me!

• jsrose14
    jsrose14 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

hello,

i just recently had a bmx with TEs on march 6th. i had my first MO appt. with dr. domcheck at upenn yesterday whom i love and although my oncotype score was a 16 (in the low range) my tumor was consider a grade 3 but stage 1 with no node involvement and er/pr+ her2-. She seems to think that the benefits of chemo will not outweigh the risks and bascially only change my rate of recurrence by less than 2% right now without chemo but with hrt my recurrence risk would be 6%. I am wondering if anyone else with low oncotype scores but higher grade tumor chose or didn't chose chemo and why. my MO also explained that the onctotype pretty much trumps all of the other pathology. i am brca2 + and had a hi KI67 score with poorly differentiated cells but that because my score was in the low range and there were no nodes and it is hormone receptive that chemo would not be recommended. that being said she definitely said there are women who still chose it--not exactly sure what i am feeling right now but would love to hear more from others with similar situations.

Also she herself recommended that i get a second opinion just to put my mind at ease so I am also wondering if anyone can recommend a great MO in the pA/NJ/NY area. She mentioned Laurie Goldstein at fox chase and i've heard of Dr. Fox and Dr. Mintzer as well. Any thoughts?

thanks,

jsrose

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2013

JRose - My oncologist is Dr. Fein in Somerset.  That might be a long trip for you, but I like him very much.  Your situation is interesting and I would be curious what a second opinion what say.  Keep us apprised!  Joan

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2013

JSRose, my MO is Lori Goldstein at FCCC. She is excellent. PM me if you want more info.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

I go to dr Fein as well.

• EverydaySparkle
    EverydaySparkle Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013

Hey Jersey girls! I'm looking for a 2nd opinion... pathology and oncology. I'm in Ocean County but am willing to travel to have piece of mind. I'm originally from North Jersey and my instincts are telling me to go North.

My Oncotype came back at 17... chemo is recommended but up to me... biopsy and path report are different. I'm thinking I need someone to look over everything to be sure I have the correct info to base my decision on. I'm leaning toward hysterectomy/hormone therapy only, no chemo. No rads needed. Clear margins and clean lymph nodes. I'm really uncomfortable with the path discrepancies and wondering if there were any other mistakes made. A set of fresh eyes will hopefully help me make this very difficult decision.

Any suggestions?

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

If you want to head north, then McNamara at Hackensack is great (she is my onco) but I know someone who is at Monmouth Medical Center and she had spoken to 4 different docs till she was happy.  Now If I could just remember her name but think she is head of the breast center~~~

• jsrose14
    jsrose14 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

Everydaysparkle

I just got my oncotype back and it was 16- chemo was not recommended but she also left it up to me. She said she did not feel the benefits would outweigh the risks. I am brca2 positive and my ki67 was high 30%. Path ended up being grade 3 so I have concerns as well. I think it's all a game of numbers and statistics. I saw dr Domchek at upenn who is awesome but even she recommended I get a second opinion. I am going to either go to Lori Goldstein at fox chase or Kevin fox at upenn. Maybe consider going to a ncis cancer center for a second opinion?

Good luck. These are not easy decisions

Jsrose

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited March 2013

Hi Jrose - the NCIS centers in PA are HUP, Fox Chase, Jefferson, and U of Pitt.  New Jersey has one in New Brunswick.  I've heard great things about Dr Fox at HUP.  Also, both Jefferson and Fox Chase have great reputations.  My RO was at Fox Chase for many years before HUP lured him away. It might be interesting to see what someone (Dr Goldstein) from outside of HUP thinks. 

While Dr Domchek is not my MO, I will be seeing her next Tuesday to talk about genetic testing.  I am negative for the BRACA gene, so we are going to explore some other options.  I really liked her when I saw her this summer for the BRCA testing. 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Hi! I am in CT although there are not that many of us here that I have seen. Nice to meet you neighbors although I wish it was on another type of forum besides this one! I am being treated at Yale which is an NCIS center. Getting great care so far...no complaints! But, if I wasn't, it would be easy for me to go to MMSK or Dana Farber in a heartbeat!

Best to all!

• forest
    forest Member Posts: 14
    edited March 2013

EVERYDAYSPA ............. READ YOUR PERSONAL MESSAGE