Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2013

I'm a little further south than most of you - Hamilton here.   Did all of my care through the Princeton Health Care system though.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited March 2013

hmmm, heard the mayor of brick was worried about the new storm, hope where you life is ok since Sancy

• melissa119
    melissa119 Member Posts: 127
    edited March 2013

From northern nj. Woodland park (formerly west Paterson). Proudtospin I love Mcnamara! She is my onc. I just saw her for my first 3 month followup after treatment and she made me cry.... Told me in her book I am cured :-). I know those are strong words but she believes it so I do too.

Have a great day ladies!

Melissa

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

Melissa, that is great!

She said the same to me a while back and I said I did not know that was a word used!  She smiled and said yes we do say it!  I saw her last week, can you believe she is a doc and a mother of a bunch of kids, like 5 or is it 6?  and looks so good!  When I got to the hospital last week the guy downstairs at the entrance said I was so lucky to have such a nice doctor!

• Speedy4
    Speedy4 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013

Cgesq~we are neighbors! I'm in Ridgewod.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Oh Speedy... My husband grew up in Ridgewood. I also have "met" two other Ridgewood women on here...

• Speedy4
    Speedy4 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013

bDavis~I started going to a wonderful support group in January that is associated with Valley Hospital and I met a couple of other women who live in Ridgewood. I'm originally from Montclair. I've been teaching in Ridgewood for 12 years and moved here @4 years ago. Love the town:)

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

Speedy... I used to work in Montclair... great town there as well. But we love Ridgewood... So you teach? What grades? My neice and nephew are both in the public schools there. 9th and 5th? maybe.

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2013

Yes...The Mayor was on TV....they are concerned about the Barrier Island.....but we are not in that Area....Thank God.....Have a strong wind......and rain...cold outside....Liz

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2013

Hi Speedy,

I also treat at Valley.  I'm also triple positive and I'm a few months ahead of you in treatment, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me!

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013

Has anyone been to Dr. Capko at Sloan Kettering- Basking Ridge?  Taking mom there for a 2nd opinion.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

I see Dr. Hamilton there. Everyone there is great. I've never seen the dr you mention but I've always wondered if they match you up with drs that match your bc dx.

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2013

Yes I have seen her. I was pleased to have a 2nd pathology report done through Sloan. There is nothing positive I can say - check her reviews and draw your own conclusion. Hope this helps.

CR

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited March 2013

Just saying hi.  Trenton here, so close to both Princeton and Hamilton.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited March 2013

just checking in, chemo again tomorrow......

• Y_elena
    Y_elena Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013

Hi everybody, I am from Old Bridge, NJ. My BS and PS are both in NYC. I had all of my surgeries at Beth Israel Cancer Center and seeing my oncologist there also. Just had an exchange surgery on January 16th... 

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

Yelena, hey we are neighbors, I am in Sayreville, welcome! I used a combo of St Peters for surgeery and Hackensack (near my office) for the rads and onco

good to meet a local

• Y_elena
    Y_elena Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2013

Hi, Proudtospin, thank u!! Nice to meet u too))

• Jlynn0807
    Jlynn0807 Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013

Yay!!

I'm so happy.  I wondered to myself if there was a forum geographically specific to me, as opposed to staging, meds, etc!  I was reading a member's profile, and saw through her postings that she had posted here!! 

Anyway, I am in Hamilton Square.   46 years old, three children.  Recently diagnosed stage IV, and receiving chemo every 3 weeks now..just started Friday.  Wanted to introduce myself and "check in" so to speak.

Hoping to find women in like situations, though I wish you weren't!  It helps.  I know my friends and family mean well...but it's hard to REALLY understand what it feels like to hear..."I've reviewed your scans, and I am worried....I am 90percent sure...you have cancer".  Yikes.  NOT what I expected to hear...let along stage IV....but I've found there is a way with cancer...as many other women do....with a few dark moments here and there of course. 

Anyway, good morning to all of you! 

Lynn

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited March 2013

glad you found us Jlynn

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2013

Jlynn - 

I'm not in a similar place diagnostically speaking, but I live in Mercerville, so we are practically neighbors!   I'm also 45, so we are similar in age as well ....

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

So I'm thinking of going to a support meeting Tuesday night in east Windsor. Wondering if anyone has ever gone to one (this one) and what should I expect.

Thanks

Karen

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2013

Karen....Have, never ever been to one of those....for they just did not interest me......someone suggested it to me....BUT...she was not in the situation.....I do think it have to be about who you are....I am not happy being put on the spot and sharing........Liz

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013

Hi Chocolaterocks,

Thanks for the reply about Dr. Capko at Sloan-Kettering Basking Ridge. I checked out the online reviews and saw a mix of both very positive and very negative.  We kept the appointment and hoped for the best.  I am sorry you had a bad experience.  Fortunately for us, we had a good one.  Unlike the first hospital we went to, Dr. Capko was completely prepared to discuss the situation with us.  She scheduled an additional mammo, before we met with her, to check out some tissue that was missed previously.  She spent at least 30 mins. talking to us (maybe more), explained with a diagram, wrote out options as we discussed them, and got input from her anesthesiologist while we were there.  She seems quite capable and experienced in handling someone with multiple medical issues as well. 

Thanks again and hopefully you have had some better dr. experiences since then!

• bdavis
    edited March 2013

regbeach.. just to input. My Mo spent well over an hour with me and my husband.

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2013

Regbeach,

Wow that is encouraging. I am glad that you had a positive experience with her that is great. My experience was in the fall of 2010 and was not positive.  Excellent to hear positive.

good luck with everything.

CR

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

my two cents, go with your gut as what is good for one is not for another

sides we have docs a plenty to chose from and if one not good, then go down the road

I used 2 dif hospitals for my treatment and now dealing with an unrelated issue, useing a dif hospital as it is the best for the new issue

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited March 2013

I am finding support groups lacking for us. Each hospital around here (Morristown, st Clare's Denville, and Hackettstown) seems to have one that meets monthly; but I don't think that often enough. I'd like to see biweekly.

I'm too far from the Cancer Community near Basking Ridge and can't get there on time to make any of their groups with my work hours.

Maybe we should start a new group near Morristown. Thoughts??

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2013

Juneuabugg, I'm not near Morristown, but I had to chime in to tell you how pretty you look in your avatar.

You too JoanQuilts - I just noticed your new picture & you look lovely.

JLynn & Annette47, I'm 43 & live in the Mercerville area too.

KarenZ, I look forward to hearing how you like the support group in EW. I haven't gone to a group therapy, but I'm finding one on one with a therapist is helping me a lot with anxiety, etc. and also giving me a chance to talk about things without someone telling me "stop worrying, you're fine!" which is what I tend to get from well-meaning family members. I know you live near me too, so PM me if you are interested in the name of my therapist (she's right near Monroe).

• Jlynn0807
    Jlynn0807 Member Posts: 61
    edited March 2013

Hi Annette!

Mercerville very close for sure.  I'm off of Nottingham Way..just to give you an idea. 

Feel free to PM me if you'd like.  As for not being in the same place diagnostically, that's wonderful to hear.  We all have issues/concerns/worries etc. due to this disease and I have found it helps to find other people who know how it feels to deal with it.

Lynn