Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited February 2013

Jrose - My plastic surgeon arranged for the visiting nurse.  HUP uses their own nurses.  Pennsylvania Hospital probably does as well.  I had an initial evaluation in my home when I was first discharged.  That evaluation determined just how much care I was to receive.  If I remember correctly, a nurse came out twice the first week I was home and then once a week until my drains were pulled.  She stayed for about an hour each visit.  During the visit she took my vital signs and checked the surgery sites for signs of infection.  She changed bandages and brought supplies so that I could could change the dressings myself.  She checked my drains and striped them thoroughly, often unclogging them.  She answered questions and told me what to expect along the way.  She also had a lot of helpful hints.  Everything she did was documented online and my PS had access to these records.  She helped me maintain my sanity as well!  She cared for a number of women who had the same surgery so she really knew what she was talking about.

As far as daily care, I really didn't need much once I was home.  Initially, I had my husband help me with the drains and the first few showers.  After a few days, I was alone for most of the day and fine by myself.  I couldn't do much, so I took it easy on the couch or recliner.  I kept my cell phone next to me and my husband brought me the tv remote, my pain meds, a bottle of water and snacks before he left for work.  I could get myself lunch as long as everything was within my reach.  I usually took a nice long nap in the afternoon.  It was really nice to be in a quiet house where no one expected you to do anything.  The dog and I had quality time together.  I relaxed fully!

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688
    edited February 2013

Thanks Jane for all the info. I will have to ask about it. Good to know you did not loose any ROM or strength.

• jsrose14
    jsrose14 Member Posts: 42
    edited February 2013

thanks so much for all the responses. i have a pre-op plastic surgery consult so i will ask some questions next week! i found out today that I will be having my ooph the same day! I was pretty impressed that all three drs. were able to organize it all!

getting anxious!

jsrose

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2013

And AFTER you finish treatment, the Livestrong program is free for cancer survivors.  It is an exercise program specifically for us, offered at many Ys and JCCs.  I understand it's an excellent exercise program.

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited February 2013

I had my BMX in Oct 11 and had a nurse come to my house once.  They really didn't do much. I found it just as easy for my husband and I to "strip" my drains and he helped me with meds and getting washed.  I didn't have them come back. I did have a staph infection and require a PICC line so I had to have a nurse come weekly for 5 months.  That was a must. I also had TRAM surgery and was able to take care of myself. I was in a lot of paiIn but I had meals coming from friends and didn't have to do much. I told the hospital I really didn't want a nurse. 

I also wanted to let jsrose know that there is a boutique at Somerset Medical Center/Steeplechase Cancer Center (Somerville NJ).  I got a beautiful wig there and was really happy. It wasn't real expensive and I tended to wear scarfs instead of the wig. Lisa is the woman in charge and is amazing!  

• LockeKopp
    LockeKopp Member Posts: 16
    edited February 2013

You can get a wig for free, check out www.friendsarebyyourside.com

I got a really nice one :)

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited February 2013

JoanQ: the livestrong program... Do you know...Is that only offered in the day (work hours)?

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited February 2013

I know the live strong program at the Y near me is offered in the evening. (mine is in South Amboy)  Figure the best way is to call your local Y.  The folks were nice and the gym was well equiped.  Some of the ladies I met do the 12 week program and then just reup and do it again....it is free!

I already had a membership at a dif gym so did not continue there but it is a great program

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2013

Hello Ladies,

I finally had my consultation with Kevin Fox today. It took months to get the appointment but he was wonderful. On time, said hello I am Kevin I'll be back soon.... and was. Talked to me with me wearing clothes... He also gave me the best news I have heard in a long time. I can just live see the breast cancer surgeon every 6 months and go on. No additional treatment ( I am a tami failure).  It was great.  Highly recommend.

take care,

CR

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2013

Chocolate, glad to hear you liked Dr fox. I had a consult with him too, and really liked him. Decided to stay at fox chase though, mostly because I love my bs & ps and prefer to have all in the same place, but also because its easier for me to get to than center city. But want to ask you -whst do you mean by Tami failure? If you can't take tamoxifen, wouldn't there be something else? I really liked how he talked to me with my clothes on too! He's very nice & I felt great after he confirmed answers to all my questions post -chemo (I saw him about 4 months after chemo ended to get a 2nd opinion on some things that were weighing on my mind).

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2013

shore 1,

Tamoxefen has many sides effects for me like:

crying, like cannot think- find things , remember things, I can feel the delay in trying to reason and answer questions.  very dry eyes, ear pain.... I work a professional demanding position that requires thinking, handling many complex situations and having a good memory. On tami- I felt confused. I am pre- menopausal. I do take Metformin which is not proven at this time. I also exercise, my weight ,,, are good and take supplements as well.  I felt that he looked at my data pertaining to me versus another statistic with the typical responses. Hope that helps.

CR

• shore1
    edited March 2013

Thanks chocolate, just curious -- I didn't know if there was some way they could determine if tamoxifen failed. But

I get what you're saying now - side effects were bad.

Anyway, always interested to hear how others arrive at decions about all this stuff.

• ypecora7
    ypecora7 Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies.

It's great to see a group from the tri-state area. I'm from West New York, NJ. I don't know if this can help anyone but here goes. All my Dr's are from Englewood Hospital. They are great there. Their infusion center is great. The nurses are wonderful. They have an excellent breast center.

I was reading that someone wanted info on wigs. The breast center at Englewood has a social worker that will set you up with a wig fitting etc. All is free and a courtesy of the hospital. The person that comes is from "loving care", I believe. Local nj shop owned by two sisters I think. They are very nice. They have all types of lengths and colors. You can choose the one that best looks like you. It was nice. So I would tell you to check with your hospital. It may have something like this and it could save you money. Wish you all the best. Hope this could be helpful. Stay positive, stay strong.

Yani

• JoanQuilts
    edited March 2013

Juneaubugg - at my local Y there was one program offered during the day and one in the evening.  Ultimately I didn't join because it was too much of a time commitment for me.  Instead, I did my own exercise program, starting with short walks and exercising my arms and legs in the pool.  I returned to full speed soon about a month or so after my last chemo and attribute it to the exercise, which I should have been doing THROUGH chemo as well!

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies just checking in!!

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

Morning and happy Monday! I was curious if anyone in the Princeton area goes to the support group meetings sponsored by Princeton Medical Center at East Windsor Medical Commons? I'm thinking of going and was wondering how it was. Thanks

• shore1
    edited March 2013

Hi Karen - I haven't been to the support group, but please let me know what you think of it if you go. I live right near East Windsor.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited March 2013

Hi Karen,  I don't go to the ones at Princeton Medical Center, but I really like the ones at BCRC (at the Princeton Y). 

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited March 2013

Shore - I will. I'm going on the 19th.

Kayak - I saw those online too. This one a little closer to home for me.

• MandyNJ
    MandyNJ Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2013

Hi everyone - I haven't read all of the posts yet - all 16 pages!! - but wanted to introduce myself. I'm in central NJ in the Woodbridge area. I'm 34, wife to Chris, and mom to Anthony (6) and Victoria (2), and was dx in December. I've had two rounds of A/C so far.

My surgeon was Leah Gendler out of morristown. My MO is Bonni Guerin out of Overlook. I decided not to get a mx but probably would have used Dr. Khamdar out of morristown if I had. I haven't met with anyone about radiation yet.

• JoanQuilts
    edited March 2013

Hi Mandy - we're neighbors (I'm in Edison)!  I also used Dr. Gendler at Morristown.  I was working at the Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at the time of diagnosis and urge you to avail yourself of all the supportive services there - they are wonderful!   

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

Hi Mandy, we are neighbors, I am in Sayreville so yell when you come down the Parkway! I did surgery with McManus at St Peters but switched to Hackensack for my rads. The folks at Hackensack were wonderful.  MacNamara is my onco.  My office is about 1/2 mile from the Hackensack hospital so it made things much simpler for me.  I am coming up on the end of my 5 years and hoping to put this all behind me.

• MandyNJ
    edited March 2013

Hi Joan and Proud! Yes, we are close. And Joan, as soon as I finish my breakfast, I'm going to go work on my sewing - which I'm guessing you do by your screen name.

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

OOO Mandy, I am a sewing geek!  Actually I found out that the Bernina sewing machine I bought before my treatment, came with a gaggle of friends that helped get me through my treatment!

I am confused the therapy of sewing is part of my recovery!

• MandyNJ
    edited March 2013

That's exactly what I've said - it's my therapy!! I've been sewing doll clothes for my 3 nieces. Right now I'm working on little fabric gift bags for Easter. Just started cutting the pieces for my son's. It's my first try at a bag.

My 10 year old machine, which was a basic machine up and went at the start of one of my good weeks. So I hit the Viking gallery at Joann and upgraded to a computerized model! I spent about twice what I intended, but sewing is making me so happy (after a long hiatus) that I splurged.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

Hi Mandy.. I am in South Brunswick...

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2013

Anybody from northern NJ?  I'm from Paramus!

• nesw
    nesw Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013

West Orange represented!

• proudtospin
    edited March 2013

Mandy, sounds fun to me.  I plan to do some sewing for pay..repair and such, when I can finally get myself retired!  I get folks asking me all the time to hem things or alter things, little bits of stuff would be great in retirement

yeah, the new machines are so differnent from the old style.  I still hang on to the 40 + year old singer. 

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited March 2013

I live in Brick.....Liz