Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited March 2013

Everydaysparkle,

I took my mom to Monmouth Breast Center.  The radiologist seemed great (and I believe is creditable) but we were not happy with the surgeon assigned to us. We went to Sloan-Kettering in Basking Ridge for a second opinion.  In addition to a new surgeon, they re-read the films and path slides.  They found some micro-cals that the initial radiologist and the one at Monmouth had apparently missed. Also re-did mammo because some breast tissue was missed.  (The surgeon at Sloan knew the radiologist at Monmouth and agreed he was one the best drs. there).So far, we are confident in MSK- Basking Ridge.  We live in Ocean County.

Jsrose (and others), if you don't mind me asking, why did you choose a MX with a small tumor?  We still need to decide but have to wait a few more weeks for any surgery.

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited March 2013

regbeach... I chose MX to a) avoid radiation b) to have piece of mind c) to avoid future biopsies and imaging

No regrets.

• jsrose14
    jsrose14 Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2013

Regbeach-

I was at first given the option to choose by lumpectomy or mastectomy but after not only finding out that I have extremely dense breasts (mammos were clear!) and then testing positive for the brca gene it was a no brainer for me!

From what I have learned, size if the tumor is not necessarily most important. Pathology and genetic testing of the tumor is priority. I also did not want to go thru radiation and now it is looking like I might not need chemo. I will do hrt though.

I am also only 40 years old so I felt I wanted the lowest chance possible and not live a life filled with scans and MRIs every few months.

It's not an easy decision but what I've learned is that it's a very personal one and hard to make a choice based on what others have chosen.

I am still home recovering from my surgery which was not easy but i have no regrets.

Good luck!

Jsrose

• Speedy4
    Speedy4 Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2013

Regbeach~ I started with a lumpectomy but didn't have clean margins after so I had to have a mastectomy. Each person's journey is different. I wanted to start with the least invasive first but was akways prepared for whatever I had to do to be rid of the cancer. I will have to have chemo because I'm HER2+ but the mastectomy eliminated the need for rads.

• nesw
    nesw Member Posts: 24
    edited March 2013

Regbeach - my tumors were tiny but they were in two different regions of my breast, so the mx was strongly recommended. I went for bmx mainly out of fear (neither mammo nor ultrasound detected the cancer in my dense breasts, only MRI), but no regrets at all because the other breast pathology showed two regions of atypia.  Like Speedy says, everyone is different and it's a decision that takes a lot of thought.

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited March 2013

Hi ladies. I've been off the boards for a while but wanted to check in. Welcome to all the newbies on this thread. I had my surgery at Jefferson and felt pretty good overall. I'm in the Princeton area and agree that the Breast Cancer Resource Center is super. I take a yoga class there, and they have so many resources, including a wig bank where you can get free wigs, hats and other accessories as needed.

For the women awaiting surgery, definitely arrange for some physical therapy afterwards. It's much better to have someone checking on your progress and offering exercises you can do, rather than relying on the 'do not do this' list - the more you move in ways that your body is ready for, the quicker you'll heal.

I've had some elevated alkaline phosphatase levels, but a bone scan and liver ultrasound in November came back normal, and the level edged down a little at my last appointment, so I'm hoping it's just one of the many other non-cancer related things that can do that.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited March 2013

I wanted to alert those of you who are BRCA positive and live in the area that Overlook Medical Center is hosting a FREE patient symposium on Saturday, April 13, 2013.  Here is the relevant information:

Having a BRCA1/2 mutation can cause strong feelings, demand big decisions, and change life plans.
    This symposium will give BRCA carriers a forum for discussion of pertinent medical issues, such as breast and ovarian cancer risk management, surgi-cal menopause, and hormone replacement thera-py. We will also talk about how to share results with relatives, partners, and children and empower each other to make the best use of cancer risk in-formation. This symposium will include lectures from experts in medical oncology, gynecologic on-cology, and psychology.

Date: Saturday, April 13, 2013
    Time: 8:30am-12:00pm
    Bouras Auditorium, 5th Floor
    Registration Required:
    Certified Genetic Counselor
    973-971-6672 or
    Jessica.heinzmann@atlantichealth.org

BREAKFAST WILL BE PROVIDED
    THIS PROGRAM IS FREE

AGENDA
    8:30-9:00AM: Registration/Breakfast
    9:00-9:15AM: Opening Remarks
    Jessica Heinzmann, MS
    Certified Genetic Counselor
    Carol G. Simon Cancer Center
    9:15-10:00AM: Breast Cancer Risk Management
    Bonni Guerin, MD
    Medical Oncologist
    Director, Breast Cancer Treatment and Prevention
    10:00-10:45AM: Ovarian Cancer Risk Management
    Brian Slomovitz, MD
    Gynecologic Oncologist
    Clinical Research Coordinator
    11:00-12:00PM: Living the numbers, saying the words: How to talk with children, (potential) partners, and family about BRCA1/2
    Karen Hurley, PhD
    Licensed Clinical Psychologist Hereditary Cancer Risk

Both Overlook and the Carol G. Simon Cancer Center at Morristown Medical Center will also be doing BRCA support groups following the symposium, dates to be determined.  Please contact Jessica Heinzmann (contact info above) for dates and times.

• Grazie47
    Grazie47 Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2013

Anyone here from Pike County, PA, Milford area?

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited March 2013

not me sorry

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited April 2013

Hi ladies - anyone planning to do the race for the cure at great adventure in October?

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited April 2013

Grazie47.....I am familiar with Pike County......use to have a lot in Lacawaxen but sold it....decided to retire at the Jersey Shore....also familiar with Monroe County....we are seasonal at a Campground there.....Liz

• regbeach
    edited April 2013

Has anyone done radiation at SOCH in Manahawkin, NJ?  My mom is scheduled with Dr. Lattanzia.

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2013

KarenZ0305 - Yes, I am planning on running the Race for the Cure.  I ran it last year the day after finding out my mom had been diagnosed (had been planning on doing it anyway) and about a week before my own "bad" mammo.   Kind of odd to think of how much has happened since the last time I ran it!

I'm also being shanghaied into doing the Avon Walk in NYC the next weekend by a friend who has done it for the past 7 years in honor of her mother.     Anyone else doing that one?

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 382
    edited April 2013

Can anyone recommend an RO they trust in central NJ?

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited April 2013

not central NJ but mine was in Hackensack, Loren Godfrey.....5 years and all fine 

he was so understanding and very open to questions.  When I finished, he said not to hesitate if I ever had any questions.  I did call at one point as my brother was thinking about a stem cell transplant and I needed guidance on if I could be a donor.

• sandcastle
    edited April 2013

I, not done rads or Chemo...but went to Atlantic Hemotology and Oncology in Manasquan.......I used Dr. Lerner....I know from where I live people who had surgery at NYU and Sloane were refered to that group.....Liz

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited April 2013

I'm seeing Dr. Andrew Greenberg at Princeton Radiation Oncologists .... LOVE him.   I've heard good things about other docs in that practice as well.   They have locations in both Princeton/Plainsboro and Monroe.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Annette... I am in the Avon Walk in NYC as well.

• kayak2
    kayak2 Member Posts: 9,028
    edited April 2013

Colt - I really like my RO, John Baumann at Princeton Radiation Oncology (at the new Princeton Hospital).  He (as well as a number of other docs in the practice) made the Top Radiologist list last year, and I can see why.  He is part of the group that Annette mentioned above.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited April 2013

I also went to Princeton Radiation oncology. I saw dr. Fein. Loved them!

I contemplated doing the Avon walk but not sure if I could do 26 miles! My jaw dropped at that.

• bdavis
    edited April 2013

Karen... It is 26 miles on day one. 13 on day two... But do know you can get swept... I think I made it 21 miles day one last year and 7 miles day 2.

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited April 2013

Knee pain, foot pain.  I don't think so.  I'm waiting for the bikeathon.  That I can do.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2013

I am with you Alexandria, foot pain is not compatible with long walks but now a bikeathon, done my share of them and a great feeling at the end

course my longest was about 45 miles so think that makes me a rookie

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited April 2013

45 miles is pretty impressive to me.  I do 40 minutes a day on the stationary bike during bad weather and try to work up to between 6 and 10 miles a day outside during the warmer months.  I'd have to train up to do 45- but I could - unlike walking.

• proudtospin
    edited April 2013

Alexandria, best way to train to do more miles is to do a couple of spin classes ...mano that gets the endurance up!

yeah, on outdoor rides, I have ridden with some real serious guys who like to do Century rides...as in 100 miles!  I am a wimp to them!  But fun to follow in their paths.  Couple really nice clubs in NJ

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited April 2013

I've done the Avon walk twice.  The first time I did 13 miles the first day and 13 the second.  The second time I did about 21 the first day and 13 the second.  It's a very wonderful experience.

• regbeach
    edited April 2013

Colt45,

I took my mom to Sloan-Kettering in Basking Ridge for a breast surgeon. They have radiation at that facility, too.  We would go there in a heartbeat if we lived closer for the daily visits.  We are very pleased with the level of care from everyone there.  We went there for a second opinion and stayed- as we figured we would.  The surgeon said, "You are here to have cancer treated and that is what we will do."  That attitude comforted us and, I would think, exists throughout the organization in a way that we did not experience at the first place we went to.  

• colt45
    colt45 Member Posts: 382
    edited April 2013

Thanks everybody for responding to my query.

We met with Dr. Neesha A. Rodrigues, who is on the Princeton Radiation Oncolgy team. She was at Centra State last Monday. I DID like her. That must be a good group in Princeton.

We are going to be getting a 2nd opinion with Dr. Bruce Haffty at the Cancer Institute of NJ next week.

Does anyone have experience with him?

Thanks.

• regbeach
    edited April 2013

Colt45,

I have asked in another forum if anyone saw value in getting two radiation consults.  As I said we are going locally next week for the first visit.  However, Sloan-Kettering called asking if we wanted a visit there (not realizing we live over an hour away, I think).   If you don't mind, please share your experience with two opinions- if there were differences in the treatment plan, etc.

When I had asked the surgeon about "shopping around" for radiation, she basically said radiation treatment did not vary as much from place to place.  Unlike what we experienced from surgeon to surgeon in my mom's unique situation-- with other health issues.

Thank you.

• sandcastle
    edited April 2013

Regbeach.....Did you aske where in Jersey close to you she can go??  I, know for fact that Sloan has reccomended my Oncology group to three people in my development....and they reccomended Dr. Mencel and Topilow.......Liz