Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2014

Hi Jen - Dr. Gendler was my breast surgeon and she is wonderful - so I have to believe that any partner she would have taken on is wonderful as well. My PS is Dr. Starker, also out of Morristown and I'd recommend him as well. You can do chemo anywhere. I live in Edison and did chemo in Somerset with Dr Fein. Take advantage of the outpatient social work services at Carol G.  - the social workers and the programs they facilitate are wonderful. Best wishes. Joan

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited January 2014

hi Joanquilts... I met Dr. Starker today... I loved him!!   And he reassured me that Dr. Armour is as capable as Dr. Gendler.  I am going back to Dr. Armour on Thursday just to sit and talk to her and ask all my million questions. Then I am getting this scheduled!! In the mean time, I also think I want to choose an MO before my surgery....though I suppose that's not too important.  Can I ask how you chose to do implants over tissue recon?

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2014

Jen..do you know why Dr.Amour left the other practice to join Dr. Gendler?

• jenwith4kids
    edited January 2014

thats a good question sandcastle....I dont know.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited January 2014

I do not know your docs but have noticed a bunch of docs moving around lately, I am sure it has to do with money

I just had sinus surgery and the doc and I were discussing his approach, he mentioned that his method required some expensive equipment and not all places wanted to spend the money

• jenwith4kids
    edited January 2014

I've been doing a little more research - I think my initial impression is solid; I like Dr. Armour and will very likely stay with her.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited January 2014

Jen go with your gut. My first dr was a BS and is one of the tops in the state. People kept telling me how lucky I was to even get an appt and I liked her but didn't have the warm fuzzy feeling. My drs MSK gave me that warm fuzzy so even though it's a hike to see them for me it was worth it. 

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411
    edited January 2014

Nancyjeanne, how are you? Your onc is the same one I have been seeing since 2008. I think she is great! Six years ago, she gave me her cell number to call her anytime, if I felt really sick.

Unfortunately, I am back in treatment with her for spine mets (she had warned me that I am at  high risk for mets due to positive lymph nodes, etc).

Hope you are feeling better.

Desi.

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2014

Jen - why implants?  I understood that my recovery time would be shorter than with one of the methods using my own tissue. I had considered a TRAM but was advised by Dr. Glatt - another Carol G. plastic surgeon - that he wouldn't do a bilateral TRAM because it would leave me without any "core" in my middle. I can't remember if Dr. Starker agreed with him or not.  IN any case, I wanted a shorter surgery, with less recovery time. I was in grad school at the time, and also (in a bizarre twist) interning at Carol G.   I was back to work and school within three weeks and could have returned sooner. Please pm me if you would like to discuss more. Joan

• jenwith4kids
    edited January 2014

hi Joan, I came to the same conclusion last night!  I work full time and have four kids, def need a shorter recovery time and a less invasive surgery.  

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

I chose the TEs and implants because I did not want to be sliced and diced anymore than I had to be.  Yes, a tummy tuck would be nice but that's one heck of an incision.  For the first time in my life I was told I wasn't fat enough and my breast would be small (requiring implants anyway) and that muscle would be taken.  I'm too athletic to lose muscle.  

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited January 2014

Jen - on the implants - I did that for the same reason the others have said. A DIEP was tempting, but I fence (or at least I did until my knee gave out a few years ago - ACL reconstruction is next month!) and getting back in the game was key for me. I can't say I'm thrilled with the implants - I still feel them, and sleeping on my stomach is still not always comfortable, and there are some restrictions on what I can lift, how I can work out, etc. But the recovery was really smooth. And even among women I polled who did TRAM or DIEP, many said they were so happy, and they had no trouble getting back into dancing, yoga, etc, but there was always a "well, I get a bit tired more easily, but I'm fine." So I think it's a matter of, whatever you choose, do be prepared to rearrange your expectations of yourself afterwards. If you do any sports or workouts, let your surgeon know. And definitely, definitely ask for PT. Many surgeons just give you a list of exercises and stretches, but it's so much better having someone keep tabs on you and push you or hold you back as needed. Plus, you'll have someone else keeping an eye on your healing in between follow-ups with your PS.

Good luck with everything! Oh - there are some great threads about implants when you're ready to get permanent ones. Read them through carefully, and start thinking now about what you want to look like when it's all done. A lot of women feel they wind up too small; I wound up a little bigger than I'd like. Get a sense now of what your boobs are like, and whether you'd like more or less, and find a way to describe it to your PS.

• alexandria58
    alexandria58 Member Posts: 202
    edited January 2014

Jen - I also went to Thomas Jefferson.  Ann Rosenberg was my surgeon. I had DCIS and chose a BMX, I did not have radiation.  

I also chose not to have any reconstruction.  I know that most women do recon, but I've been very happy about my choice.  I hate surgery.  I do not recover well, and I wanted it over and done with. Because I just had the BMX and no recon, I went home the same day. i am comfortable. I feel fine about my appearance, except for the fact that my face is starting to sag, which has everything to do with getting older and nothing to do with BC.

there are threads in this forum about not having reconstruction.  At least think about it.  Although many women who do it are pleased with the result, I do personally know a number of women who've deconstructed because of pain or other issues.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82/topic/789067?page=113#idx_3363

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

It's my understanding that a woman can delay her decision about reconstruction and have it at a later date if she chooses.  It's crazy how many major life decisions we have to make in days or hours.  

• alexandria58
    edited January 2014

It was pushed at me pretty hard at the time I made my decision for the BMX- but I was very clear that I didn't want it.  Letting us get through the BMX or MX first before we have to decide would be nice - but I was told that it's better results if you do it immediately.  I may be forgetting.  In any event, if you do know you don't want recon and are pretty confident you won't change your mind, it helps with the end flat result to tell the surgeon so she won't leave extra skin for later recon.

It wasn't a hard decision for me.  Having the appearance of breasts wasn't  important enough to me to go through the additional surgeries, with all the additional risks and pain.

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

Alexandria - If not for my husband's very strong preference, I may well have made the same decision.  I was quite comfortable the first few weeks after my BMX.  I did find certain outfits did not fit properly but that can easily be accounted for.  One major downside of implants is the need to replace them every 10 years or so.  I assume at a later point in my life I'll have them removed and say adios.  Either way, I really really really like not wearing a bra.  

• sandcastle
    edited January 2014

I..Had a MX on my left Breast with immediate Recon.....about 8 weeks later I developed an infection...had a Revision and the BEST thing about waking up after surgery was feeling COMFORTABLE without the implant.....that was close to three years ago and I will not attempt again....Liz

• alexandria58
    edited January 2014

I LOVE not wearing a bra.  I was a c34 - and I LOVE wearing tank tops in the summer.  Yes, a few clothes hang oddly, but most of my old clothes work.  It also didn't matter to my husband.

The other thing is no one notices that i'm flat.  Really.  I've had lunch with friends I hadn't seen for years and until, an hour into the lunch when I mentioned the BMX, none of them had noticed.  (Well, one gay friend did notice right away, but he was the only one.)

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2014

So as not to scare the ladies who are making a choice about reconstruction and leaning towards going ahead with it, please know that I had NO complications whatsoever with my TEs or with my implant surgery.  I can sleep on my stomach and also do not have to wear a bra - they stand up all by themselves!

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

JoanQuilts - I'm hoping to have your boobs when I come out the other side!

• NYCchutzpah
    NYCchutzpah Member Posts: 148
    edited January 2014

Finished up the reconstruction this past June. I was a 36 D now a 34 C (lost weight)I look good with clothes on, but won't be posing for any centerfold shots with the new ones. Didn't have any complications. It did hurt when the expanders were expanded, but maybe I'm too scensitive. The down side is that I always feel them on my chest.

• alexandria58
    edited January 2014

I'm not trying to scare anyone or denigrate any other woman's choice.  It's just that the choice or no reconstruction is not always discussed, and it is a choice. 

• JoanQuilts
    edited January 2014

I know you weren't Alexandria. I just wanted the ladies to know that if they DID choose reconstruction, things can go smoothly!

• sandcastle
    edited January 2014

To...Be very Honest...I am not sure if I knew more facts that I would of said Yes or No.....even though mine failed....my PS told me that I had up to Five years to try again....I told him I was not going to try again....Even though I am somewhat Vain I am very confident in myself and I do think I am Beautiful.....I have to say...I did have Dental implants done with no problem....before my BC.....it is all so very much thrown at you at one time....Liz

• jenwith4kids
    edited January 2014

thank you everyone.  I have decided on implants and am totally dreading the TE phase.... but my husband and I always say, "we can do anything for a year"....(not that I know the time frames....).  I have been through four pregnancies, three c-sections....  How bad can it be? LOL, I guess one never knows until one knows....

• Luv2downdog
    Luv2downdog Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014

Great to hear (as I will be starting same process soon). Who did you use for your surgeries?

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited January 2014

Susan Mcmanus was my surgeon, she is head of BC at St Peters now I think, very happy with her.  when I go for followup mamos, the techs always remark how small my scar is (I did end up with 3 separate lumpies) but all clear afte 6 years

• Katnat
    Katnat Member Posts: 5
    edited January 2014

Hi ladies,

I'm 30 years old and I was diagnosed 4 months ago with IDC triple positive.

My mom was diagnosed when she was 43 with BC but we both are negative for the BRCA gene.

I was doing regular check ups since I was 17 and the diagnosis was a BIG shock for me.

I was a wrack.

I moved to the US by myself and I was with no family members, only with my boyfriend..and he didn't handle this good.

The doctors suggested lumpectomy but given my young age and family history they suggested the mastectomy option as well..back then, I wasn't able to decide,too many question marks,my boyfriend "forced" me to go back home for the chemo cause he thought it is too much to handle for one person..

So eventually I decided on lumpectomy, went back home and did 2 cycle of egg harvesting (the first one wasn't a successful one) and then started with ACTH .

Now I'm considering to do a bilateral mastectomy instead of the rads..

I'm afraid of the results..I'm single..was attractive (and will be again hopefully) and don't want to be embarrassed with my body..I want to get married and to have a successful relationship and healthy body image.

The surgeon told me that a nipple sparing surgery is an option for me..

I was living in NYC and saw 3 surgeons.

Any recommendations for surgeons and plastic surgeons?

Please let me know what do you think about the whole thing.

Thank you!!

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

Katnat - This has to be especially difficult as you are away from your home.  Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC is rated # 3 in the USA for breast cancer treatment and may be a starting point in looking for a surgeon.  Plastic surgeons will advise you of the various options that you have for reconstruction if you choose a mastectomy.  They also have photos of former patients that will give you a sense of what each outcome looks like.  Nipple sparing gives a more natural look to the breast.  It is important to communicate to your plastic surgeon your cosmetic concerns and what you would like too look like after reconstruction.  BMX does reduce the risk of a local recurrence and some women choose it for this reason.  There are several discussion groups on here that may be of help for you.  There are groups for younger women, single women and reconstruction discussions.  I've seen discussions about dating after reconstruction.  Author and researcher, Dr. Susan Love writes in her book that boyfriends and husbands come and go but our bodies are with us forever.  Therefore, make your decisions based on what you want for yourself rather than trying to meet someone else's expectations.  

• tcapemay
    tcapemay Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014

Hi Janetaned!  I know that yours is an older post but just happened to be reading this blog and came across a Delaware Co. girl, so am I.  I was diagnosed Febuary 13, 2011 with stage 1 IDC.  I was diagnosed at Delaware Co. Memorial Hosp. where I get my mammograms. I was told initially that no chemo would be necessary since no lymph nodes were felt.  I went to Penn and spoke with wonderful Dr. Julia Chow (?)M.D.  Dr. had diagnosed me with stage 1 as well. Dr. was going to be away for a month or so and her surgery schedule was booked for another month so I had my surgery done by the very capable hands of Dr. Matalewski, M.D. . He was wonderful from the minute I was diagnosed thru my treatment. When they did the surgery to remove the tumor 2cm, they did the sentinel node biopsy ( removed 5 nodes) they found dual tumors on one lymph node,small 2mm but that changed everything.  I had 8 chemo treatments and  36 radiation treatments again at the very capable hands of Dr. Debra Markowitz, she was wonderful, and also like Dr. Matalewski tremendous, talented Doc's in their field. I am soon to celebrate 3 yrs.since diagnosis and from what they say, " no evidence of the disease in me".  I did develop neuropathy in my fingers and left leg and foot due to the Taxol and that has been difficult. Anyway, hope you are doing well and are cancer free.