Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited September 2013

Good luck, Snoopy!

• snoopy66
    snoopy66 Member Posts: 7
    edited September 2013

Annette47, thanks.  Biopsy behind me, home now--bags of frozen peas all set! :)  Took a bit longer than expected and a bit more sore, but its over!  Now, the waiting begins, ugh!  Will try to stay busy all week until post op visit for results late Friday.  Trying to stay positive, preparing for anything.  I know everyone on this board has been down this road, I will stay strong and hope for the best.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks for "listening" :)

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited September 2013

Good luck Snoopy. Hoping all you have to endure is this biopsy and nothing more!

Babs

• regbeach
    regbeach Member Posts: 84
    edited September 2013

Snoopy,

I took my mom to Memorial Sloan Kettering - Basking Ridge site.  She saw Dr. Capko (surgeon) who repeated the mammo and saw some micro-cals in addition to tumor that 2 other pathologists never mentioned.  When I asked about her in this forum, someone replied and did NOT recommend her.  However, we were pleased.  My mom has other issues and we were concerned with plan of action and assumptions that were being made at the first doctor we went to.  The attitude of the surgeon at Memorial Sloan Kettering is "you came here to have cancer treated and that is what we will do."  Dr. Capko explained things clearly and made us feel 100 times better about surgery than the first dr.  I imagine everyone there has that same attitude though my mom had radiation closer to home and we chose to skip chemo so I can't comment on those aspects of Sloan.  She had surgery in NYC (at Memorial) but we could've chosen to have it with Dr. Capko at Overlook Hospital.  

Hope you get good results.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited September 2013

Snoopy I had the same experience. Went to a well known NJ BS but wasn't comfortable with the experience (felt like I was in a revolving door and couldn't get out) so I went to MSK in NY and it went great. They set me up with a MO in basking ridge and that's where I did my chemo. What I loved about my BS (who is in NY) is that 3 weeks after I initially saw him he contacted my MO and wanted a biopsy on the opposite side that the first BS didn't see. I also did my surgery in NY and did my rads at Princeton Radiation Oncology in Monroe. They were amazing! Have lots of MSK patients. MSK is usually ok with you doing that closer to home if you are far from the office (which I am for a 15 min appt). Good luck and let us know the results.

Karen

• snoopy66
    edited September 2013

Babs, thank you :)

Regbeach, thanks for the info.  I hope your mom is doing well.  Obviously Memorial is one of the best places for care and certainly for second opinions.  I am already keeping it in mind if I have to go down that path. 

33 hours until my results appointment....but who is counting? 

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited September 2013

Been There...Done That....Went to Dr. Elissa Santoro at St. Barnabas in Livingston....did my Biopsy there but found the Doctor not to be hands on....Glad I listened to myself and went to another BS Close to home....had my surgery at Ocean Medical Center with Dr. Mark Schwartz a very compassionate person....Liz

• JDB53
    JDB53 Member Posts: 139
    edited September 2013

Good morning ladies. I am a husband so I hope you dont mind my input. We are in Northern NJ. Was reading some of the comments here. My wife and I are very happy with our choices of doctors. We had Dr Blackwood as our BS out of St Barnabas, Dr Spiro as our PS right actoss from St Barnabas and works closely with Dr Blackwood, Then we have Dr Richard Michaelson as our MO from St Barnabas and finally Dr James Wong as our RO out of Morristown Memorial. All great doctors. I'll be glad to answer questions if needed.

• sandcastle
    edited September 2013

Dr. Santoro was in her own practice......then Joined Dr. Blackwood.......I went to her when she was across from St. Barnabas.....Everyone has different experiences.....mine was NOT GOOD....Liz

• JDB53
    edited September 2013

Liz, I have heard that Dr Santoro doesnt have a nice bedside manner. Not taking anything from her skills though.  Dr Blackwood was very nice. She was comforting and spent alot of time with us.  We are still in the Chemo stage 3 to go. Then Rads.  My wife is taking a little break and going to Normandy Beach for a long weekend. She needs to get away from this for a few days!

• sandcastle
    edited September 2013

Her SKILL was the problem....or lack of it........I went to her with a Level 6 momogram and a sono........she ordered a needle biopsy which came back B9....the radiology dept wanted me to get a MRI....Which she said was not needed??!!! What needed to be done was I needed to have a excisional Biopsy.....our daughter went with me and my husband for my very first appointment....and she was NOT impressed with her.....wanted me to come into NYC......but it was a very emotional time and I already made the appointment.....at that time she took NO insurance.....I am glad I listened to myself and moved on.......Liz

• snoopy66
    edited September 2013

Karen and Sandcastle, thank you.  I hope both of you are doing well after treatment.  Doc choices are very personal, it's important you trust them and know they have good clinical/technical skills, clearly your peace of mind matters when going through procedures, treatment and follow up.

JDB, nice to hear from a husband too, your wife is lucky to have you by her side and so involved in her care. It's important she takes those breaks to recharge when she can, hope she enjoys Normandy Beach :)

I appreciate all of your insight and will reach out if my biopsy comes back positive.  I am in Hunterdon County/Somerset County area, so access to Hunterdon, Robert Wood, Princeton and Morristown, as well as Basking Ridge MSK, St. Barnabas and Overlook.  I pray I don't need them, but am fortunate to be in an area with so many medical care options.

• JDB53
    edited September 2013

Glad you made the right choice! 

• KarenZ0305
    edited October 2013

Morning ladies. So begins the month of awareness. There was an article on NJ.com this morning about a business man in northern NJ who's wife had BC and how he does his part to raise money for research. Basically has a fund raiser and gives the $ directly to a Dr. at MSK. It's a good article if you get a chance to read it.

• sandcastle
    edited October 2013

Bump!

• sandcastle
    edited November 2013

I think we have some new people....liz

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2013

hellooo new peeps!

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411
    edited November 2013

I am from central NJ. I have been seeing an oncologist at Overlook hospital in Summit. Does anyone have any experience with the doctors at Overlook? I like my doctor, but offlate she has become so busy, she hardly has time for old timers like me!

Thanks,

Desi.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited November 2013

Hi Desi, yeah, I find the docs can begin to push off folks who are long time...I use an onco Donna MacNamara at Hackensack if you want to try her. I love her and am looking forward to the end of my 5 years on aromasin

welcome to the board

• sandcastle
    edited November 2013

Desi........I lived up North for most of my life and always used Overlook.......but when the CURSE struck I had already relocated......did go up to St. Barnabas to a BC....was NOT pleased with Santoro....so I found a Doctor down here and a Oncologist......Liz

• onetitwonder
    onetitwonder Member Posts: 7
    edited November 2013

Desi:  Glad you asked.  my BS is Catherine Gleason and my RO is Andrew Greenberg.  Both out of Hunterdon Medical- both with practices in the Princeton area as well as Hunterdon.  Can't say enough both both.  Attentive, smart, and witty.  This combination works for me !!  if I can help you out with more detail, PM....

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited November 2013

Onetitwonder - I see Andrew Greenberg as my RO, too .... LOVE him! Can't say enough good things about him.

Rachel Dultz (Princeton/East Windsor) was my surgeon, and David Sokol (Princeton) is my MO. I think Desi was asking about MO's, and while I am very happy with him, all he's had to do was prescribe Tamoxifen, so I don't know how he would be with anything more complicated.

I've also heard good things about Dr. Lee (Princeton) as a MO, but he didn't take my insurance. I know someone who is Stage IV from the get-go (fortunately NED now after a course of chemo) and she can't say enough good things about him.

• misseJERSEYGIRL
    misseJERSEYGIRL Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013

Hello fellow jersey girls.. just joined this site.. im in Monmouth County.. any monmouth county peeps out there?

• sandcastle
    edited November 2013

Jersey Girl.....I am in Ocean County.......Had my surgery by Dr. Schwartz at Ocean Medical Center.....Liz

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited November 2013

misseJERSEY, I'm in Monmouth County! Go to Monmouth Medical Center (St. Barnabas). You?

• sandcastle
    edited November 2013

My...Doctor also goes to Monmouth Medical Center....has a office in Oakhurst and Brick....Liz

• proudtospin
    edited November 2013

close, but Middlesex County just barely. But I was working when doing treatment (now retired) so chose Hackensack as it was closer to office.

I think we are all lucky to live in a region with so many good centers

• NYCchutzpah
    NYCchutzpah Member Posts: 148
    edited November 2013

Hello ladies, would you please give me some hints on something happy? My daughter just got engaged and we are currently looking for a venue. Most likely it will be in the fall of 2014. The kids would like a beach wedding. We live in bergen cty and a lot of his relatives live in Philly I would like to see if any of you have suggestions for a place north of Atlantic city. The budget is pretty tight so we are thinking of a luncheon rather than a sat night.

Thanks in Advance

Charlotte

• KarenZ0305
    edited November 2013

What a great happy! Congratulations! There is a place called Pier Village in long branch and they have some great restaurants right on the beach. Every time I go there I always see wedding parties doing pictures. Plus there are hotels in the area and great shops all up and down the boardwalk. Also there is no rides or games but it's not far from point pleasant. 

• proudtospin
    edited November 2013

No suggestions from me but sure do look forward to the photos

and also think a beach wedding on the jersey coast...awesome!