Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

New Jersey/NYC/CT/Eastern Pennsylvania ladies

Comments

• Nenny02
    Nenny02 Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2014

thank u for your support. They gave me zofron for the nausea. I'm not sure what chemo I am taking there r three of them. Any suggestions for no eyebrows?

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671
    edited January 2014

if  you cannot find someone, I can e mail my buddy Tim but if you ask your hospital they may be able to give a name

I was diagnosed in 2008 and I have seen  a huge change in services

best of luck and if you get stuck, yell!

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2014

Swimmon2.....Not sure what part of Essex you are from....but if you are near Millburn...I am sure you can find someone there.....Also if where you Live borders Summit...that is another good place....When I did Live up North we were in Union County......but I did work in Essex at times and know that part of N.J.  LUCK to you.....Liz

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited January 2014

The place in Freehold is CentreState. I belong to the gym there and the PT section is in the gym. 

• proudtospin
    edited January 2014

Karen, not sure why I keep forgetting the name Centrastates! I do hear good things from it for LE therapy and know that my buddy Tim was called to work with them to set up training for cancer survivors

• Nancyjeanne1967
    Nancyjeanne1967 Member Posts: 15
    edited January 2014

Just found this post while laying in bed NOT sleeping, how unusual (sarcasm). I'm from central Jersey and had my surgery at Morristown memorial and I'm having chemo at Overlook. Glad to find all of you! 😊

• Njmom3
    Njmom3 Member Posts: 39
    edited January 2014

Welcome to the not sleeping club Nancy.  I'm from South Jersey and had surgery and whatever else I'll need at southern ocean medical center which is 2 minutes from my house!

• shore1
    shore1 Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2014

Nenny02, for the gross mouth feeling, rinsing with a mixture of baking soda, salt and water numerous times a day really helped. The nurses at my treatment center said it would prevent sores, but it also helps with the overall effects of chemo on your mouth. I kept it in the bathroom and rinsed mouth literally every time I was in there. For eyebrows, the Anastasia brow duo kit is great. I got mine at Sephora and it was worth the money. I tried Brian Joseph gel, which may have helped because my eye brows never fell out completely, although they were extremely thin at some point toward the end of Taxol, which was when I really had to use the Anastasia. I had Zofran and Compazine too, but after AC treatment #3, was so nauseous and sick to my stomach that they finally prescribed Emend which worked much better! Don't know why they didn't just give it to me from the beginning, and I didn't know enough at the time to ask. Hope you feel better soon.

• JoanQuilts
    JoanQuilts Member Posts: 265
    edited January 2014

hi Nancy Jeanne - I also had my surgery at Morristown with Dr. Gendler. I live in Edison. I've been around the breast cancer block two times and had the same chemo regimen as you. If I can help in any way, please let me know. 

• Nancyjeanne1967
    edited January 2014

JoanQuilts- thanks, I love meeting new people especially when they've been there done that!  I loved Dr. Gendler she is so rough around the edges and so down to earth, she always made me laugh plus she did an amazing nipple/skin sparring BMX on me!!  If I have any questions ill pm you thanks!!

• Nancyjeanne1967
    edited January 2014

NjMom3-

Yup 1:00 and I'm up!!  Not feeling great feel like I have an upper bronchial thing going on??? Of course I'm saying is this a SE or am I just getting sick....the unknown UGH!! Didn't work today but luckily my husband and I own a retail store so he covers for me when I can't make it. Well ill hop around other threads and try to sleep again! Hugs

• s3k5
    s3k5 Member Posts: 411
    edited January 2014

Nancyjeanne, I had surgery at St.Barnabas and chemo at Overlook. Who is your doctor at Overlook? 

Good luck with your chemo. I had severe cough with Cytoxan. I guess, some people react to this chemo. If this continues, mention this symptom to your oncologist ASAP. 

Desi.

• Nancyjeanne1967
    edited January 2014

Desi_NJ

My oncologist is Dr. Guerin (Gerhard is her maiden name)  I'm calling her tomorrow I feel like crap. I had a fever tonight of 100. They said to call at 100.4. I have a cough, ear ache and soar throat. I have been on the couch since Friday. Ugh!!

• Nancyjeanne1967
    edited January 2014

My onc. finally called in the antibiotic so hopefully I'll start feeling better since I need to go back to work. How many days after the nuelasta shot did anyone start experiencing pain?  I got mine Friday and tonight my back and hips are beginning to really hurt and I did take the Claritin.

• KarenZ0305
    edited January 2014

Nancyjeanne that was about the timeframe for me. Got my shot Saturday and pain came Tuesday. I didn't know about claritan at the time. Wish I did. Hope you feel better. My immune system was shot and I was sick all the time. 

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564
    edited January 2014

Nenny - My suggestion for protecting your mouth is to swish and swallow about a tbsp of olive oil twice a day. Sounds odd, I know, but a friend of mine who went through cancer twice suggested it, and it really helped me - no mouth sores, and my taste buds survived with only minimal malfunctioning.

Swimmom - Good luck finding a PT. Mine was great, but he was in Elkins Park, NJ. PT is so, so important after your surgery.

Sorry to see so many newbies - but I'm glad you found the discussion boards. We're all here to help each other.

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2014

Hi everyone 

Jersey here. Just diagnosed with my second BC. I didn't make 5 years.

Bilateral MX this week no recon. Hope to be back up in running 2 wks. Possible??? I hope.

Chemo at some point. 

If I do not recon soon after surgery are the results not good. I was told a Lat flap was my only option so I'm going flat for now.

I'm trying to picture where the scars will be for the mastectomy. 

• sandcastle
    sandcastle Member Posts: 289
    edited January 2014

Funthing42....so sorry to hear......I NEVER....kid myself that I am home free......just live my life.....my best Liz

• Njmom3
    edited January 2014

Hi fun thing, wishing you all the best. Just had my mx almost a month ago and going back for te replacement and incision clean up due to bad healing. Flat sounds good to me!  Hugs!!

• Warrior_Woman
    Warrior_Woman Member Posts: 819
    edited January 2014

Hi Everybody - I just found this thread and wish to join in with the locals.  I know some of the ladies here who have already been so helpful to me on other threads.  (Waves to Janetaned, NancyJeanne, NJMom, SwimMom).  I live in Frenchtown, NJ along the Delaware River.  I grew up in the suburbs of Philadelphia (Montgomery Co.).  Because of my familiarity with the Philly region I chose to have my BMX and TE placement and reconstruction at The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania - Dr. Carla Fisher and Dr. Liza Wu.  I am 100% satisfied with the care I've received to date.  I am getting chemo locally at the Hunterdon Regional Cancer Center.  Dr. Kenneth Blankstein is my MO.  I like him a lot because he is a highly effective communicator.  I healed well from my BMX and TE placement.  Within 2 weeks I was up and about and within a month all restrictions on my activity were lifted and I resumed my normal exercise routine.  I started TC chemo earlier this week and I'm holding on.  Chemo is a very weird experience.  I feel like I'm being infused with toxic waste and I will soon start to glow in the dark.  

• Njmom3
    edited January 2014

Oh WW I've worked in a nuclear power plant for over 27 years now, and I have yet to glow!  Boy am I jealous! Lol. It is so important to be happy with your doctors.  I went with all local ones who all work together and I am so glad I did. They keep each other up to date so I don't have to review each time. 

Oncotype did not come back yet so the mo appt is pushed till the 23rd. Surgery on the 21st, sounds like a busy week!  Hope you are holding up with chemo.  How is the cold cap working?  How many treatments are you having?  I might look into cold caps If I need to, not sure where to start...

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

NJMom - I'm only 5 days out from first of 4 TC infusions and I won't know if the cold caps are working for me or not for a couple of weeks. 

There are advantages of staying within one healthcare network for all the services.  For me, however, I wanted an oncological surgeon and that meant traveling and having records and pathology slides sent back and forth.  It did serve to delay my surgery longer than I'd have liked but worked out best in the end.  

Waiting for test results is the worst part.  However, I do hope your oncotype score is low, NJMom.  Chemo isn't fun.   

• rachelvk
    edited January 2014

Funthing - So sorry you have to go through this again. Why did they say latflap was your only option? I believe you can choose to have recon later. Did you check out another opinion? I found that a PS' recommendation often reflected their own preferences and capabilities. In any case, I hope surgery goes well. Best of luck - and keep us posted.

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited January 2014

good morning! I am newly diagnosed, routine mammo twelve days ago...not happy, of course but glad to have found this group.  I am in Basking Ridge, the original radiologist suggested Dr. Gendler but she couldn't see me right away so I made an appointment with Dr. Armour in the same practice. I dont know anything about her except that I like her.  Sbe was very calming and she seems very smart.  She is young and answers all my questions.  Does anyone have any experience with her? She is new to the practice, she came to Morristown recently from the Red Bank area.

Also, how do I choose a plastic surgeon?   

I posted more information about my situation in the forum for the newly diagnosed, I dont want to post it all again,  I will figure out later how to link it here.....have to go get the kids ready for school.

Thanks! 

• Warrior_Woman
    edited January 2014

Hi Jen - Sorry you found yourself here but this is a great resource.  The best advice I received when I was first diagnosed is to find the best oncological surgeon I can.  My local breast surgeon is not an oncological surgeon.  I am in Central NJ and could have traveled to NYC or Philadelphia.  I chose to go to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.  HUP and Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NY are ranked in the top 10 in the nation for breast cancer treatment.  I understand MD Anderson, ranked #1, is opening in NJ but I don't know when.  I was also advised that for radiation, chemo., etc. one can go anywhere that is convenient.  Once you determine who your surgeon is, the plastic surgeon is usually determined based upon who your surgeon works with.  You may have some choice but normally they partner with just a few.  

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited January 2014

Here is the link to my first post in the newly diagnosed forum: http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/5/topic/8...

I got more news this morning - the lymph node biopsy came back positive.  As did the right breast biopsy: DCIS.  Totally supports my decision for a bilateral mastectomy.  There are still at least three other lesions that the MRI picked up that couldn't be verified by US - but I suppose that doesn't matter now, they'll be considered when they run path on my breasts after surgery, right?  Then I'll be staged and treatment will be decided...??  I can't wait to talk to my BS (warrior_woman, she is a BS oncologist).

I am three miles from MSK in Basking Ridge; I wonder if I can have my surgery and reconstruction in Morristown and any chemo or radiation (if necessary) at MSK...  that would certainly be more convenient....

one step at a time.

• proudtospin
    edited January 2014

Jen, I was diagnosed with DCIS after routine mamo at a center near New Brunswick, referred to BS in the area but when I realized I need rads, I chose a Hackensack Hospital (I was working in that area so it made it easier to work and do rads at the time)

even though I was working with 2 dif hospitals....the docs knew each other and communicated fine

good luck, get the best set up for you, lordie but NJ has lots of cancer places!

• KarenZ0305
    edited January 2014

Jen I was also dx'd with dcis with node involvement but did lumpectomy chemo and rads. I go to MSK in basking ridge and did my chemo there. My BS is at MSK in NY. When it came time for rads they let me do it by home. Md Anderson opened in Camden and it is the best with MSK being right behind. Go where you are comfortable but look at the track record. You only get one shot to fix it the first time. 

• Njmom3
    edited January 2014

Hi Jen, sorry to welcome you here, but it is the best place for chicks like us.  The support and education is amazing!  I am having more surgery tomorrow because my stupid skin does not want to heal, it's my one month mx anniversary and I'll be back in the o.r.  Plus the snow we are going to have, I'm at the shore so we are getting the brunt this time, oh joy!  A good friend if mine is going to MSK in BR and has nothing but great things to say.  I just didn't want the travel, I am 47 and have 3 kids who keep me hopping, so that's what made my decision.  Sounds like we have a lot in common.  Good luck to you and don't be afraid to come here to yell, shout, cry, whatever, because we are all in the same crappy boat!

• rachelvk
    edited January 2014

Hi Jen - I second the advice of picking a surgeon you feel comfortable with. And if you're having recon, base it on the 'team' of doctors you'll be with. I checked out three places, and I finally chose my team based on my comfort level with both the breast surgeon and plastic surgeon - I'm an athlete, and the first two PS I went to see, when I asked about PT, pretty much blew it off and said "Oh, we'll give you some exercises, but that's it." The one I wound up with actually has a PT come into their office, and the PT was superb and I think really helped me move forward and heal well.

If you're considering Philly, I went to Thomas Jefferson. I can't say my experience was perfect, but I had some great doctors and still see my oncologist there, who is super.