Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Survivors!!!

Options

Comments

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2012
    Options

Also, just to kick off an idea, I would love to hear what the 2012 sisters/2013 survivors are doing for diet and exercise these days. A lot of us could barely eat or get our butts up off the couch during active treatment. What foods are you enjoying again now? Have you started any new exercise routines?

I went to an orientation today for an organization in our area that offers gentle yoga and pilates classes for breast cancer survivors. Can't wait to get started!

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited November 2012
    Options

Long WILL we prosper !!

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012
    Options

Stride- Love it!

• roulag
    roulag Member Posts: 126
    edited November 2012
    Options

My hope for 2013 is that all of the wonderful women on these boards find themselves surrounded by joy and love and may good health hold them tight in its grip. Especially my 2012 sisters :-).

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    Options

To prospering - Gesundheit! ;)

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited November 2012
    Options

Oh Stride you had to drop the E bomb.... EXERCISE!! I can tell you what I've been doing right and wrong! Lol! I've been juicing to try to get more good stuff in. :-) however I bought my DH a massive tub of ready made Nestle choch chip cookie dough (he's a Cookie Monster) but seems I'm eating as much as him. Nothing like a hot choc chip cookie with a glass of milk!!

I am concerned that I might start to put on some weight too with working. I am nibbling on pretzels or pita chips during the day. I have to cut that out! I am having spinach salads for lunch (with my chrons I can't do lettuce but for some reason my belly doesn't mind spinach); I add shrimp, dried cranberries, mango or orange pieces, goat cheese and just a little Avacado oil. Yum!!! Then I go home and eat the damn cookies!!!! SHIT!!!!

Exercise- ah not yet. There is a gym at work and mine is right up the street but I'm having trouble finding my balance to get it all done like I used to. I am also not comfortable being bald at the gym to exercise. Not sure why, but I'm self conscious when I'm alone. I'm ok with DH or friends with me. Maybe because I'm so busy interacting I don't notice people looking at me.

I used to do Pilates every week and will go back after I recover from my exchange surgery next week. I love it. But I know I need to make diet and exercise a priority to decrease my recurrence risk. SHIT!!! I hate this crap! I used to smoke 2 packs a day, along with a bag of weed, eat twinkees, drink Pepsi... And still fit in my size 6; then I turned 40; quit smoking; quit doing any drugs AND alcohol; even started to exercise... Since then I've gained 30 pounds, gotten chrons disease and breast cancer!!! WTF!?!

I'm open to suggestions.

• docziggy
    docziggy Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2012
    Options

What a great thread idea! I am very glad to join such august company as yourselves. Diagnosed March 26, 2012, wrapped up my last rads zap October 18th, with chemo and surgery in between. Here's to many many more years!

Best wishes to all of you!!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2012
    Options

Stride, good idea! As far as eating I am trying to eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and I'm leaning more to the vegetarian side. Made myself some veggie patties on Friday, and froze some for later. Try to eat mostly fish or chicken, and red meat only occasionally. Often I will eat beans or lentils for protein instead of meat. I have a sweet tooth that I really struggle with, but it is getting better. I keep telling myself constantly how bad empty-calorie sugar and flour are for me, try to snack on apples or nuts instead of cookies/chocolates, and drink a few cups of green tea daily. I have been trying to lose a few pounds, but no success yet. At least my weight is not going up. I was blaming Tamoxifen which I started on August 1, but after research I found out that the culprits are chemo and radiation which change and slow down our metabolism, and that's why losing weight is such a struggle. I don't know if this slowdown is permanent - I hope not.

Exercise wise I do light weights and strength training 3 x per week in the gym as well as a cardio workout on the treadmill/elliptical trainer/bicycle. The other two days I do a gentle stretch yoga class which I love. When it's not raining, I also take the dog for walks.

There is lots of confusion as to what one should and should not eat after cancer. Often there is no conclusive  proof whether something should be avoided or not. I believe that fresh produce is good for you, and that as long as I practise moderation, it will be okay.

• Tazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Oh Stride... I have to agree with juneau ..... the E Bomb  Surprised   After all this time we were chugging along so well with no mention of it... now we have to share - hee hee !!!

OK foodwise, I have always had a pretty healthy diet.   I dont buy cookies, chocolate, chips because if they are in my house I will eat them all in one sitting.  I do allow myself treats now and again, but not very often.   Found it hard as since chemo my savory tooth has turned to a sweet one - darn it.  Always been a big fruit eater.  But in all honesty I haven't changed my diet that much since being dx'd.  I have cut down on alcohol - which isn't a bad thing - when I was on chemo, didn't even want it.  Now I allow myself a drink at weekends.  But that isn't written in stone either.

As for the E-word... well I have been pretty lax in that department.   I have promised myself that I will get back to yoga (which I really enjoy) when I return to work in January... hmm ?  makes me wonder if I am just delaying it.   And I may try and go swimming - not making any promises I may break.

Really I have just moderated my lifestyle - as my dietitian said 'everything in moderation'. 

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288
    edited November 2012
    Options

plus we love our pets... stride, what a cute kitty. I might the only sister that went through chemo with her dog. Yes, my 16 yr old Ruby had lymphoma, one of the only cancers that has treatment. So she and i did our slow walks together (she had 5 treatments, I had 4. she shed a little on the first round but kept her fur.) So can anyone top that animal story?? <3

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited November 2012
    Options

Well I don't know about "topping" your story, but... My Trooper went to Rads with me everyday and kept the rad techs in line.  They'd get me situated then take Trooper out while I was zapped.  He got so he heard the zappage stop and would "tell" the techs it was time to go get me.  One day they weren't paying proper attention and he broke away and headed into the tx room.  Did you know they have a security beam that shuts the machines down when schnauzer crosses it?

• juneaubugg
    edited November 2012
    Options

Gosh, I guess that's why people love their dogs so; they really get involved. My three cats just followed me around the house for five months.

Lisa; poor puppy, didn't even have a forum to complain about his SEs like we did! Seriously though, the image of sharing the experience with your dog and taking that walk... Breaks my heart and makes my spirit smile all at the same time. No, that can't be topped.

• Tazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Lisa:  that is a wonderful story with you dog.  No pet stories from me, but love reading them all.

Well I will be getting ready for my trip to England - am very excited now.   Will be so good to get a Mum hug.

Hope all your days are going well and you are finding your happy.

• KarenZ0305
    KarenZ0305 Member Posts: 345
    edited November 2012
    Options

My best friend just adopted the mother of her puppy and found she had mammary tumors! She thought it ironic that her best friend and dog both have breast cancer!!

• bevg49
    bevg49 Member Posts: 461
    edited November 2012
    Options

Glad to join and be a member of this group also !.... Lisa, I love your old dog Ruby already.  Your story was heartbreaking and heartwarming, both at the same time. May she have as many pain free years as possible. Cindy, I loved the Trooper story also. I'm sure the staff was thrilled when she shut off the machines :)... Dogs rule. I have a dog story not associated to bc but about loyalty... I had a brittany spaniel who is bred to chase squirells of which we have many in my neighborhood. At the same time, dogs must be leashed by law (NYC)... My dog would pull like a maniac when she saw a small animal.. Sometimes she'd get off leash and chase like a maniac... Well this day, I was walking one way. She saw something and pulled... I had to let go of the leash and she was off to the races.. I hit the ground and hurt my shoulder. I cried out in pain and watched as Sienna stopped herself short, looked back at me, thought about it for a few seconds then came back and stood over me til someone came out of an apartment to help.... My other brittany spaniel had leukemia, no treatment for her, and we had to put her down and it was sad. Lucky for me, no one has considered putting me down yet. Well, they may have considered, I've been so bitchy lately, but no one has acted on it yet lol..

Doczig..... nice to meet you :) but we are NOT august company, we are november company !! hahaha..... I crack myself up sometimes.  Not many others appreciate my humor, but I often do :).... 

Have a great day, 2013 survivors!!

• Outdamnedspot
    Outdamnedspot Member Posts: 164
    edited November 2012
    Options

I know my dog Bud, a Border Collie/some kind of big Terrier mix, knows something is going on with me.  Whenever I am at home, he is at my feet, by my bed or chair or wherever...more so than ever before.  And if anyone, even DH is approaching me, he gets in between.  He has always been such a loyal, loving sweetie, but definitely has become more protective.  Can't imagine life without a dog.

• Tazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options

bev:  you made me laugh Tongue OutLaughing

• juneaubugg
    edited November 2012
    Options

Bev: nice to have you back.

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited November 2012
    Options

Dogs manage to become so much a part of our lives that it's hard to remember they aren't just especially nice people in fur coats. When you realize they don't speak our language, but understand up better than most people? Amazing.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited November 2012
    Options

Someone told me their cat never left their side after being diagnosed with BC...I thought...hmmmm......well, guess what, my cat stayed by my side for about the first 5 months after dx.....couldn't believe it.....I guess they also have a sixth sense.

• Belinda977
    Belinda977 Member Posts: 150
    edited November 2012
    Options

Thanks for creating this!  Hoping I can keep up with the board.  Six months for me since surgery.  Already time for my first mammo follow up (next week).  I no longer think about cancer 24/7 but it's still in my thoughts.   

Cheers to all of us and learning to move forward!

• Tazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Here's to wonderful pets who show us humans what true unconditional love is:

• Scottiee1
    edited November 2012
    Options

Tazzy, that's the sweetest picture I've seen in awhile.....ain't that the truth about unconditional love.

• Tazzy
    edited November 2012
    Options

Wasn't that pic adorable.  Had to post it. Makes ya just want to snuggle up with them.

• Scottiee1
    edited November 2012
    Options

I do Tazzy, that's exactly what I want to do....OMG .....too cute.

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited November 2012
    Options

God Is a Cat
    by Karla K. Morton

This will end this will end
    this will end
    it will

The cat knows, sweet baby,
    climbs on the bed
    curling next to me
    purrs through my silent agony

The doc said pain was good,
    meant that my bones were strong
    and healthy
    tell that to my bones

This is pain
    beyond childbirth
    and kidney stones

body in a vise
    bone crushing crushing crushing
    then easing
    then again again again
    then easing

The cat knows
    she knows
    lies close to me
    lies on the mascara stains on the sheets

She looks me in the eye
    Here alone, I can curse
    and complain

I can tell her how much it hurts
    and she reaches out
    and pats my bare head
    sweaty with pain

I think
    maybe
    God
    has been here all along
    shedding on my pillow

disguising Himself
    in the calico
    and the soft pink
    of padded paw

• juneaubugg
    edited November 2012
    Options

Stride: no words to describe... I am a total cat person... mascara stains on my sheets!!! SHIT! So beautiful; imagery... I have been her (as I know you have too).

Thanks for sharing.

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2012
    Options

stride, just read it slowly twice - thank you for posting.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2012
    Options

Stride, thanks for the touching poem. Something in these words are so raw, and so true. As a hopeless cat lover it means so much to me. My little Siamese has supported me faithfully through this journey, and I have learnt a lot from her and my dog. Their love is truly unconditional.

• Scottiee1
    edited November 2012
    Options

Stride....thanks for sharing ....it left me with goosebumps.....brought back a lot of good and bad memories of this past summer......our pets are very special to us.....again, thanks.