Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Survivors!!!

Options

Comments

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited December 2012
    Options

2fried - love the red hot tamales, think you should go with it :)

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2012
    Options

I'll write more later, but I just came back fired up from a Pink Ribbon Pilates class, and I just wanted to say again how much I recommend these if any of you have them in your area.

• Sue2690
    Sue2690 Member Posts: 6
    edited December 2012
    Options

I think it's not just us who have a hard time when treatment ends, but our families as well.  In the weeks after my last chemo both of my daughters crashed, and are now on antidepressants.  My first two cycles of taxotere were really hard on everyone - I spent nearly all my time on the couch, doing nothing - and I think they were working really hard to keep it together.  Then once I was up and about again they let go and crashed.

They're doing better now.  For one of them, the antidepressants are actually the best thing to happen in a long time.  We now think she's been low-level depressed for a long time, and she's much happier and centered now.

Our house got broken in to a few weeks ago (only a few things were taken, thank goodness) and people have been saying how violated they would feel if that happened and someone was in their space.  I can see that, but frankly it's so far  down on my list of worries right now that it's not an issue!  I guess I'm not out of the "fight or flight" headspace yet, since I'm still in active treatment.

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2012
    Options

Stride: how did you find the classes?

Sue: seriously?! Shit, I guess it's true- when you're enough pain from one thing, you don't notice the thing causing lesser pain. What house break in?! (((HUGS)))

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2012
    Options

Juneau, I found out about it through a brochure in my doctor's office. I am lucky to live near a non-profit cancer support center that offers classes for free. But I have been told some yoga studies offer them for a fee. I found this list of instructors trained through the Pink Ribbon Program. http://www.pinkribbonprogram.com/instructor-finder.html

• juneaubugg
    juneaubugg Member Posts: 517
    edited December 2012
    Options

All: new study just released about tamoxifen and longer term treatment.

http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=17879346

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited December 2012
    Options

Our women's cancer resource center has free yoga and many other kinds of classes. The yoga teachers volunteer once every 4-8 weeks and then also teach at their regular jobs. I don't go to the free one due to the time of it, but go to one of the teachers at er studio, and it's great to have someone familiar with chemo SE, neuropathy, mastectomies etc. yoga and a little Motrin has made arimidex doable.

• MrsCich
    MrsCich Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hi all. Haven't checked in in a while. I had TC treatment 4 last Friday. This one was by far the worst. I hadn't had any nausea until this one. More of a queasiness I suppose. It lasted about 4 days. Now my bp has went up and my MO put me on bp meds.

She did say at my last appt that she wasn't sure if she wanted me to do 4 or 6 treatments. I find out on the 20th when I see her again. I MAY BE DONE WITH CHEMO!!! Now I'm just waiting to see when my Oophorectomy and exchange surgery will be. I'm at 550cc now and think I will stop at 650cc. My PS said he can get a 700cc implant into it so I think that's where I will stop.

Hope you all are well.

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies, home safe and sound from a wonderful time spent with family.   Took my first tamox this morning.   Hope my only SE is weight loss Wink

I have got so much to catch up on with you all.  I have missed you.    Any of you suffering may that soon pass, for those finishing up tx, woo hoo!  Hugs and love to you all xxx

I am off to Los Cabos on Sunday for a weeks all inclusive vacation with DH - cant wait.  Will be so nice to spend time relaxing with him where bc is not forefront in our minds, hopefully

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited December 2012
    Options

Tazzy, welcome back, we missed you. Did you bring me back some warm beer.....lol

• Tazzy
    edited December 2012
    Options

Scottie:  I think I posted on one of the Canadian forums about sitting with a Glaswegian woman on the flight over - she was off to visit her family there.   Actually I realised I posted it on the forum for British columbia - DOH !  chemo brain is still with me.  Anyway we had a blast, and somehow it made me feel as though we'd been put together to remind me of you.  We had an absolute blast and the 9 hour journey flew by - no pun intended.   I was intending to bring warm beer back... but drank it on the journey home Wink

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

Tazzy, Glaswegians are the best people to hang out .....they would never dream of serving you warm beer.I guess we have more class than you lot south of the border.....lol...🍻🍻🍻🍻🍻.......sending you some COLD beer girl❤

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

PS Tazzy.....you can still redeem yourself....I'll take some cold Mexican  💃

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hi Tazzy, I started tamoxifen a while ago. Still waiting for the big weight loss! Seems like all I've lost is a bit of joint flexibility and any semblence of youthful moisture anywhere on my body :) Glad you are back, jealous of your next trip. I hope you find it rejeuvenating.

• Tazzy
    edited December 2012
    Options

Scottie:  more class - debatable, but as you said it I laughed Laughing Wink

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited December 2012
    Options

Tazzy Welcome back! Your DH must have missed you immensely and now he is taking you to Los Cabos!  Sounds like he is eager to catch up on some missed times while you were going thru treatment! ; ) Sounds like another wonderful trip is instore for you. So glad for you as you sure as heck deserve it.

MrsCich Nice to hear from you Hope your chemo is done! 700cc's -you go girl!!!! lol

Cowpower I got a kick out of your description of what you lost- ah the joys of a life without estrogen

Good article on the tamoxifen Juneau-I'm sure it's only a matter of time they will say the same thing about the aromatase inhibitors.I'm having no issues with mine and actually feel so much safer taking it-like I am doing something to prevent BC's reoccurance, so I might actually feel relieved if I could continue my aromatase inhibitor. However, extending it to 10 years is probably pretty discouraging to the girls with bad SE's that are counting down each day of their 5 years so they can get off of their pill. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a vaccine or something.

Happy weekend everyone!

• Tazzy
    edited December 2012
    Options

2Fried (aka hot tamales): he is very eager to catch up on missed times…. Had it not been for him going to work he has been like a limpet and attached to my side when at home.

MrsCich – yay for last chemo – fingers crossed it was. I see a genetic counsellor on Jan 8th to find out what process I need to do to find out if I carry the ‘gene’.  700cc's eh?  Go big or go home Wink

Hugs and love to all xxxx

• MrsCich
    MrsCich Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2012
    Options

700cc's is smaller than I originally planned. I wanted to look like I did before the BMX and PS said that would be 800 cc. After thinking about it, I realized my implants will be higher and poke out more than my natural breasts did (36DD). I think 700 is about where I should be. I'm at 550 now.

• ramols
    ramols Member Posts: 310
    edited December 2012
    Options

Just minutes away from my final bag of taxol finishing up and being able to start counting my time PFC!!!

• Tazzy
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ramols:   wooo hooo... doing the happy dance for you.

• mcook301
    mcook301 Member Posts: 314
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ramols! Congrats!

Tazzy - Welcome back! and have fun in Mexico! Heard it beautiful there!

Mrscich - I had to stop Taxol a few treatment early too due to neurapathy. I was played the waiting game as well not knowing whether it was my last or they would start again. That is kind of hard huh:) I hope you get your answer soon and feel better.

Everyone else sending hugs! and glad to hear stories of treatments getting close to the end! Man it is amazing how strong everyone has been and how we all have been through so much. It seems like yesterday when I logged on to this site and met all of you!

Dam someone from above or where ever keeps giving me reminders -

As I was having a pretty depressing day. Then I received an email about a contest I entered last month with my company . They asked for stories about an organization we supported in early November. So after a few glasses of wine one night ( which is never a good thing when sending a company emails) I typed my story about walking a half marathon as part of an american cancer determination team.

here was what I wrote:

Organization: American Cancer Society

Submitted by: Michelle

In November of 2011, my sister asked if I would be interested joining a team for Grandmas Half Marathon in Duluth, MN to raise funds for the American Cancer Society’s DetermiNation Program.

As a prior runner, I thought this would be a great motivator to get back into it and it was for a great cause. What I didn’t know is that this would become much more to me than finishing a race and getting back in shape.

In February, I heard those scary words, “you have cancer.” I soon began chemo and began dealing with the sickness, hair loss, and emotions that come with it. I wasn't  sure that had the strength and energy to participate in Grandma's Marathon, but would see how things progressed.  

Thursday before the race, I received another round of chemo and left Mayo Hospital headed for Duluth, still not knowing if I was going to run, as I had not trained at all. The night before the race, I was going through emails and read a story about a young woman who had just lost her battle with breast cancer. It was that moment when I made the decision to compete in the race. I committed to running, not only for myself, but in honor and in memory of all who suffer from this disease.

The morning of the race, I got up with my family, put on my running gear, and got to the starting line. When the race started, I told my family that I would catch the bus back at one of the check points and see them at the finish line. I figured I would be able to do three miles. But I did not stop at Mile Three…

Mile 3 – I was still running and telling myself, “Let’s see if you can make it to Mile 5.”

Mile 5 – “Ok why not, see if you make it to the 10K mark.” I was walking by this point.

Mile 9 – I posted on Facebook “Holy crap! I might just make it!” so my family would not be worried as I was not sure if they had finished and wondering where I was.

Mile 11 – I was really struggling with cramping and my body was swelling up...I was looking for the American Cancer Society team checkpoint so I could catch a ride to the end of the course.  At this moment, an ACS volunteer spotted me and jumped on the course and walked with me.

I did finish the race with my family walking across the finish line with me. There were lots of tears and celebrations because I knew being able to finishing this race was so much bigger than me.

Our team, “Family Ties,” raised over $7,000 for the ACS event.

I celebrated my 43rd birthday this fall! I want to continue to support and give back to the American Cancer Society so others have more birthdays and we continue to fight to end cancer!

After I sent my story and they posted it I had so many women in my company reach out to me and tell me their story. A few were going through treatments and some were 5+ year survivors.  It was amazing I have worked for this company for 9 years and side by side with some of these women and never knew.

I found out today I won the contest! It was not about the donation funds I get to receive for this to donate, but today, tt was a reminder that on my bad days I need to tackle it one step at at time like I did when I walked this race. It took me one hell of a long time and I came almost in last place but I finished. Also, that every day there is another one of us dealing with this diease and it is about me but also about each one of us that are fighting here and taking these steps every day in life even when we fill we don't have another one in us!

I am a sappy person and I know that you don't know me except from our postings on here but I seriously could not have made it through some of my darkess days with out having you all here in my pockets and I hope that I can give back to all of you the same even if I don't acknowledge everyone by name.

We all have our stories here of walking a race ..just mine was documented so remember one dam step at a time on our crappy days:) and run like a wild child to enjoy our good ones!

Have a good weekend everyone!

…………..

• maryah930
    maryah930 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012
    Options

mcook301 - You never know why things happen, but they do.  I'm at a site working, reviewing data, and started thinking how I don't want to do this cancer thing anymore.  I'm emotionally spent and i just started my journey in Sept.  I don't have it as bad as some and am very lucky with the support system I have, but I'm tired and very, very down today.  For some reason, I put the subject's chart to the site and logged on.  I read your post.  THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!  You reminded me that I am not alone, that I can go on, that there are other fighting along with me.  I really can't thank you enough as this is really the lowest I have felt since the start of this damned thing.

• ramols
    edited December 2012
    Options

Mcook - thanks for sharing. Your story brought tears to my eyes. Happy for you. I really do like to believe there is a higher power out there sending us signs when we need them, and that those who have passed can reach out and help. The nurse who started my iv today for my final chemo is one I've never had before. Her name was the same as a college friend of mine who lost her battle with BC at around the age of 30. Made me feel like she was reaching out and patting me on the back today.

• Tazzy
    edited December 2012
    Options

Mcook:  thanks for sharing.  Our bc journey is like running/walking... one step at a time, one foot in front of the other.   Good for you.

Ramols:  I agree... she was sent by your friend to hold your hand through your last tx.

hugs to you all xxxxxxx

• Outdamnedspot
    Outdamnedspot Member Posts: 164
    edited December 2012
    Options

Mcook. What a moving story and congrats on finishing and winning. You are one determined gal!

Now I gotta find a Kleenex as I'm a bit teary after that.

Waiting for my third rad and only 13 more to go after today.

Hugs to all.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited December 2012
    Options

Michelle - Thanks for reminding me of what I have. Also having kinda crappy day finishing up days worth (not kidding) of paperwork for just quit job. Beautiful day here. I'm going outside to fill up my birdfeeders. Paperwork be damned for a little bit.

Ramols - WOOHOO. Doing the happy dance for you. You go girl!!! I agree it was destined for you to get that nurse today of all days.

When I was diagnosed it prompted several of the women in my company to get mammos. PTL all negative. Go to MO next week. Not expecting anything dramatic, labs, check, then hopefully on to shopping. Going to be cold for us wimps, in the 40s.  Hard to take when its 72 outside now.

Happy Friday everyone.

301724 Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2012
    Options

Congrats, Ramols! It feels great to be 'on the other side'! And MCook - thanks for the amazing uplifting story. Just the thing for a cloudy day! Thank you all for being here and for sharing.

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

Mcook....thank you for sharing that awe inspiring story and congrats on winning the race.

Tazzy.....have a wonderful time in Mexico......AGAIN....not too many pub crawls....so jealous.....lol

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited December 2012
    Options

Ramols - yay!!!! Happy dancing for and with you. We did it! I love the story of the nurse's name.

McCook - thanks so much for sharing, I was having a bit of a down day also

• ramols
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thank you all! Websister - let's dance!!! We did do it! Did you find yourself insanely emotional the whole rest of your last day? Others? I am an emotional faucet. I think months worth of pent up emotions are coming out of me. Although I still have to remain in fight mode - I relaize I just finished a major piece of the battle. And the emotions are oozing out uncontrollably... Might also be related to the fact that I was just in the city the past two days at my offfice for work and got to see all my beloved colleagues for the first time in months... Who knows - whatever it is, I say good riddance chemo!!!