Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

2013 Survivors!!!

Options

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited November 2012
    Options

Go for it, Joanne!

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited November 2012
    Options

I was dealt a low blow today when I found out that my exchange surgery was not going to happen this Tuesday as planned. The facility I have to have it at refused to give up block time for my PS to do it. So about 2 hrs later I call back to see if we could do it on the 6th was told no he is booked solid that day. I was told the 11th I informed the scheduler that that doesn't really work for me because my DH would only be home with me for 4 days before he had to go back to work in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico. She told me that she would check with my PS and call me back tomorrow. She called me back 15 mins later and said that they were moving my PS's morning clinic on 12/5 to the afternoon and do the surgery that morning. I told her no that's too much trouble and she told me it was done already and surgery is scheduled already. I went from crying because of no surgery to crying happy tears of gratitude to my Dr and the scheduler for being so kind and willing to work with and get my Surgery scheduled in my time frame. Sorry for the long story.

Juneau hope you are feeling well!

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited November 2012
    Options

Well, MO says everything is as it should be, nothing that concerns him.  If the hot flashes are intolerable, he says he'll prescribe something.  Still debating about taking him up on that.  Made my "one year" appointments for Feb with the RO and BS.  Phew.

• mamglam
    mamglam Member Posts: 17
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hello Ladies, 

I too belong in this group!!  I do recognize some of you from our April/May Rads Group.  First of all, congratulations on your great news Joanne53!  Those are the news I am wishing for everybody!  As for the chocolate, my favorite is the Guylian Shells with the hazelnut filling.  My preference is the milk chocolate but will occasionally have the dark.  Tis the season to eat chocolate! 

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited November 2012
    Options

Chrisrenee - that really was wonderful of your ps and scheduler to rearrange the 5th so you could have your surgery.

Cindyl - good that MO visit went well

Hi mamglam - agree - tis the season ;)

• aruba
    aruba Member Posts: 276
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi Ladies, You are keeping me busy between Juenau and 2Fried needing that java durning recoup and the rest of the gang after chocolate..since I was out and about...here ya go Smile

cup of coffee and box of

I am finally off tomorrow for Fla to visit my dear ole dad.  My other visits to him have been put off due to the surgery, rads etc. Funny how i had a flight down to him set in July and that morning ....ended up meeting the BS for the first time after mamm and US.  He told me that day that by looks of films he was sure it was BC and biopsy next step.  I asked if I could still fly out that day and see dad and fill his freezer (he is 85 and lives solo after mom died in 2010...)..dad has not seen me since (we do talk daily) so this will be a heartfelt reunion.  I am staying down there for almost 2 weeks.  Losing the job during rads has perks so I am taking advantage..he will not move up here so I feel the need to be on call and visit often...not sure what new job will allow for that since I had 5 weeks vaca with old one. So for now...will take it easy with him and relax for a change.  I'll keep up with all of you from the sunny (I hope) south! 

• liefie
    edited November 2012
    Options

Aruba, enjoy the time with your father now that you can finally get away. It must be so wonderful for him that you are coming to visit him. Love your coffee and chocolate picture. With my sweet tooth I can eat chocolate for breakfast any time - shocking!

Chrisrenee, you do have a great dr indeed. So glad you can get your surgery done on Wednesday - yay!!!

Mamglam, welcome here. This is a great group to be part of.

Just heard the news that my son passed the UFE exam, and is now officially a chartered accountant. So very happy for him - he was laughing and crying simultaneously when he phoned to tell us. DH and I both shed a few tears too - a real cry fest on the phone.

• aruba
    aruba Member Posts: 276
    edited November 2012
    Options

Liefie, congrats on your son's achievements! So much happy in your life...enjoy your trip. So well deserved!

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited November 2012
    Options

liefie, that is one of the hardest exams there is so it is a huge achievement. So nice to hear such good news.

So I am wondering if I should be on this thread - I am still well entrenched in the treament side, but know so many of you. ??

• maryah930
    maryah930 Member Posts: 122
    edited November 2012
    Options

marian - Of course you should be here!  We're survivors regardless of where we are at in our journey and as you said, you know so many.  Think of this like college.  We may have different majors (the individual BC diagnosis), graduated different years (the treatments and timing), but we are all alumni of the same school of BC going to the same reunion!  Wink

• Believe777
    Believe777 Member Posts: 540
    edited November 2012
    Options

I'm in for the group hug! Diagnosed in April, surgery, radiation and now Arimidex for five years...

Yes, we have survived. Glad to have found this new thread. I've been searching and wondering how everyone is doing.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited November 2012
    Options

Liefie......congrats for your son....major achievement ....

• liefie
    edited November 2012
    Options

Thanks for the congrats everybody; you are all so gracious and kind. And yes, Marian, you certainly belong here. You can't leave us now because we will all be wondering how you are doing!

• Scottiee1
    edited November 2012
    Options

Marian, you belong here like the rest of us....I have to take Letrozole for the next four years so I still consider myself in treatment.

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2012
    Options

Marian, I am probably not really done either. A treatment team meeting next week will decide. I suppose we could continue posting treatment themes in 2012 sisters and survivor themes (particularly those that are chocolate-based) in this thread?

• marianelizabeth
    marianelizabeth Member Posts: 1,156
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thanks everyone - I am staying! Chocolate tastes terrible right now along with a lot of food and sadly, wine too so I do look forward to chocolate days ahead!

301724 Member Posts: 185
    edited December 2012
    Options

The only chocolate I can handle is a tiny bit of dark chocolate. My sweet tooth has been completely kaput since my surgery:-(

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

301724......how lucky are you???? Or did I mean unlucky????....oh, not sure, need more coffee.....lol

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited December 2012
    Options

I still love the sweets. It's meat that doesn't appeal. I've enjoyed maybe 5 pieces of meat since all this started.

• stride
    stride Member Posts: 151
    edited December 2012
    Options

I used to enjoy good red wine. Chemo killed that desire, and it hasn't come back.

• Chrisrenee77
    Chrisrenee77 Member Posts: 693
    edited December 2012
    Options

I used to love 2 margaritas a week, but femara killed that for me. Now the smell of alcohol makes me sick. Oh how I miss it. :)

• maryah930
    maryah930 Member Posts: 122
    edited December 2012
    Options

I love micro-brews, especially IPAs and Rye beers, but they don't taste the same since chemo.  Couldn't start the day without my morning mug of coffee.  Can barely tolerate it now.  Meat, sweets, brussel sprouts (my favorite veggie since I was a kid) and cheese = YUCK.  I never really liked OJ, but now cannot get enough.  Hopefully, after chemo, I go back to normal.  Christmas and NYE are going to be interesting as far as foods go. Tongue Out

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited December 2012
    Options

Maryah- finished chemo in Sept. Just was able to enjoy a glass of red wine with friends for the first time. I'M BACK! You will be too.

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288
    edited December 2012
    Options

Trying. Really trying. Feeling discouraged. Hands are hurting from new AI (Aromasin) ideas switched to after 3 mos of Arimedex aches and pains. How can I do this for 5 years? It's been 4 mos.

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

Lisa....most gals on als, including myself, will tell you exercise does help the aches and pains. Personally, my anti-depressant and anti-anxiety help make it all doable. The five years seem daunting, I know, but think of the alternatives. I've been on Letrozole for 8 months with varying SE.....exercising and keeping busy works for me. Sorry you're

having a hard time just now, hang in there, it will get better.

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited December 2012
    Options

Lisa- I've been on Arimidex 5 weeks and do feel like I was hit by a Mack truck everyday. I spend hours stretching and end up the same the next morning. Getting out of bed and getting up from a sitting are the worst. I really wondered could I do this for 5 years or actually in my case probably will be forever.

I started a yoga class and that has really helped! Last night I took 600 mg of Motrin before bed and woke up so much better. Not pain free but 80% better. What a different outlook in life- like having a bad headache finally get better. My whole body seemed to relax.

I have heard that it gets better after 6 months- not sure if that is true. I've heard that changing AIs helps. In the meantime it is yoga, stretches and Motrin for me.

• Tazzy
    Tazzy Member Posts: 1,442
    edited December 2012
    Options

Quick check in to say hello.   Skimmed through your posts and I'm sure you'll be happy to hear I wont respond to all !

Happy to hear of clear scans - celebrate and dance away.

Enjoy chocolate and wine when you can.

Hello to all the new ladies - sorry you have to be here, but if I do say so myself, you will not find a better, stronger more caring bunch of women. 

Scottie... you will be pleased to hear that the UK is still as damp and the beer warm... Oh! and they are getting snow in Bonnie Scotland.

Well I am enjoying the last days of my family time.  Will be hard to say bye...but so happy I came.   Mum's cooking and caring of me...  I think I have put on the 12 pound and more back on... oh! well.   

To everyone I missed, hello and wishing you healing hugs and love... and I sit here typing with a glass of red wine.

Sleep tight all, happy dreams and here's to tomorrow... another day !

And here's a group hug for us all.

• Scottiee1
    edited December 2012
    Options

Tazzy....Happy to hear from you.....I remember the days when I went home and my mom

took care of me, cooking etc...telling me to watch crossing the road😜 I used to feel a little irritated that she was still treating me like a child....Oh for my mom now!!!!!

let her baby you, spoil you and whatever else she has in store.....enjoy as you more than

deserve it. BTW we had a little snow in Toronto, which has turned to rain....hmmmmm

Am I in Glasgow or Toronto.....LOL......PS......yuck, warm beer....stick to the wine girl❤❤❤

• lisa2012
    lisa2012 Member Posts: 288
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hey Tazzy, like that hugging emoticon!Kiss me someday with lots of eyelashes. Ah my mom, she died suddenly at 79 2 yrs ago January. Sometimes I miss her, sometimes I'm glad
     she didn't have to see me have this, sometimes I am MAD that she split right when it turned out I needed her very much. Sigh.

Dug out a clogged up drainage swale in my yard in between storms. Productive and a good stress reducer. I will find a yoga class, take advil, and take Ambien tonight so I get 6-7 hours of sleep uninterrupted. Last night I slept in 3 locations, and had horrible stress dreams. If I could take Ambien every night and have it work forever I would. But you have to be strategic with it.

Sun is pouring through post-storm clouds, the sky looks so nice.

• websister
    websister Member Posts: 405
    edited December 2012
    Options

Good to hear from you Tazzy - the time sure seems to have gone quickly.

Lab work and oncologist appt tomorrow for me, if all is well it will be my final Taxotere/ Herceptin on Tuesday, Herceptin alone x14 every three weeks after that

My mom was all settled in her new lodge last week, then yesterday fell and broke her right hip (fractured the left one last December). At 88 I am hoping she has it in her to get through yet one more surgery and recovery period.