Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited November 2013

We have had travelers for years and years two houses and several cars. Never a problem nif you have AAA theyvdo a discount for that too. That's how we got them to start with

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 38,258
    edited November 2013

WOW !!! Glad I stopped in to read. Dh and I also have Hartford due to AARP and the fact that it was very affordable. Starting to wonder.......its a better price because their intention is to weasel out of paying their claims. Well, I think we are going to have to rethink how we deal with our Ins. Our cars are far from new and I'm thinking maybe just cover the other guy from now on.

We have been pretty fortunate over-all and not had to put in claims since we have been using Hartford. We had Allstate before and found that they did not pay out at all well. We are definitely on a budget now.....so likely will have to re-think how we insure at least our vehicles -- one 1995, and one 2004. The house....well, other than deductible I think there is little you could change.

Lilli

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,890
    edited November 2013

Jackie..........Can't resist----change from the Hartford. I couldn't write every detail of dealing with them with what should have been a small claim and is. If you heard the details it would make you scream. I was insurance naïve. Pay for maximum coverage, expect excellent service------NOT. I need to renew my subscription to Consumers Report. CR has never lead me wrong, but I never looked at this aspect.
    I too----------live long with my cars, 16 years with the last one. This ones 10 y/o. Based on hx should be another 7 or so years.

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2013

Okay maybe we can do some comparison shopping right here. My auto is 966$. No accidents/no tickets, one driver, driver safety course on line sponsored by AARP. Toyota 2003

OH CHIT, I have had flood insurance since 1998------not required-------it just eased my mind. Guess who the Government contracts with to provide flood insurance-------Hartford.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited November 2013

After all the storms in 04 & 05, the major insurance cos pulled out of Florida. My homeowners was cancelled, never had a claim. Was sent to Citizens. So if they didn't want to cover my house, dam if they were going to get our cars. And I still won't deal with any of the 2 faced jerks. Good Neighbor. Good Hands? Liars all of them.

• luvmygoats
    luvmygoats Member Posts: 2,484
    edited November 2013

Dwilli - Along for the ride tomorrow. You got this girl.

GG - so not fair you can't even enjoy your new house. Couldn't they have waited to say Super Bowl weekend?

Qautre - I have an aunt and had a grandmother (and sounds like a great grandmother though I barely remember her) much like your mother. Aunt has raised at least one kid like that. My mother was entirely different from them but then she got the short shrift at home growing up - never good enough, never pretty enough. I think she was determined her family would not be like that and it wasn't at least the parts she could control. And while she was married she lived far away - not her choice but DF's job but it sure changed family dynamics. My grandmother could turn on the charm and then turn on the c**p like a switch. Your father is getting something from the relationship if only in not rocking the boat. Men are just weird, I think all of them. Must be the testosterone. Who controls the purse strings? Don't answer just delving. My DF never paid a bill, balanced a checkbook (the old fashioned way), negoatiated insurance, heck I think my DM mostly bought the houses we lived in though it was his income. Things like that scare them - better the sucky known than the scary unknown or even worse the scary alone.

• luvmygoats
    edited November 2013

Sassy - I don't think the Hartford contracts for flood insurance. We have it too through State Farm. They get the quotes and I'm sure get a commission. I'll have to ask DH how it is paid. Just recently reduced all the insurance on this house. I would NOT rebuild here if it burned. Love it out here but would move back to city. Also they oversold the flood coverage when we still had a mortgage. Don't think our bar ditch will sweep the house away.

BTW went last week to pay the property taxes. Clerk says no note about returned mail - the 2 statements we didn't receive. Tried to make it the mail carrier fault - you know they find some with the mail stored in their garages so they don't have to deliver it. Why the heck do I get the same things at PO box and home if she's hiding the mail??? So now have PO box on it. So - some old dude comes up as I'm leaving and says he needs to pay property tax and he never got his in the mail. Me thinks their mail program needs some major tuneup. Same thing happened with my MO - they supposedly mailed one bill I didn't receive and then another. Oh but the 2nd mailing left off all those names from R-Z and guess who's in that. They apologized and gleefully took my payment.

Allstate does not have such a good rep here either. We've had State Farm for all 37 years we've been married and DH and my DM had it b4 that. We had flooding claim in 1978 (broken water line d/t freezing) and 2 roofs at least one in 1995 had breaks in the plywood from the hail damage. Some don't like them and I don't think their rates are very low. We get the vicious hail storms but not like ya'll get s**t in FL.

GOOD NEWS - glaucoma pressures way down today. Go back in 2 1/2 months.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited November 2013

bottom line, all insurance companies suck.......great rates to lure you in, 1-2 years later they up it to the same as you were paying before you changed companies.......then bitch when you put in a claim....here them all........

Then when they raise you they say....lots of bad weather...lots of claims....ok ass wipe then raise their insurance not mine.......feel bad for people with big claims like ......Sandy in a Jersey, but it was not my claim...probably sounds heartless, but that is how I feel......brand new home, went from $578.00 to $720.00 in 1 year........reason...overall increase because of higher claims around the country..

Don't even say "insurance around me.

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited November 2013

John Eye Update

At today's visit to the Clinic we learned that John has a small leak in the eye that his iris tried to plug. Also the doctor did not like that the chamber has flattened outbe repaired. So what that all means is that on Wednesday if the chamber has not expanded, John will undergo surgery again that day in attempts to continue to save the eye, fix the iris and repair the leak. Also today the doctor put in a contact lense for extra protection and to try and stop the leak. Needless to say John's visit created much more pain...when we got home he rested all day!

Even though John does not want me to do this, I will probably delay our trip to Florida until John can travel with me and my mom. John wants me to go as planned for my Treatment-Free Vacation, but it just feels wrong.

I have chemo tomorrow and John promises me that he will stay put and still all day....I surely hope so! I'm thinking maybe a leash long enough to get to the bathroom....lol 

• luvmygoats
    edited November 2013

Ducky - don't say hail around me. LOL. We are overdue for a doozy.

Chickie - kinda like that thing in "Nine to Five" only not string it from the ceiling. Continuing to say prayers for your John.

• duckyb1
    edited November 2013

Chick......keep your chin up girlfriend.....John sounds like a tough cookie......will keep hoping and praying........those trade guys are a different breed......they always make sure they land on their feet....

My husband fell 9 stories from a scaffold, and on floor #2 he managed to grab hold of a piece of re-bar sticking out of the building......badly bruised, but lived to talk about it.....

John will do this, plus he has his biggest fan rooting for him......

• sas-schatzi
    edited November 2013

LMG-great on the eye pressures-------YAY

I've had flood insurance since 1998 by the Hartford. Premium I just paid this week was $414.00. It was $250.00 in 1998 has slowly gone up, but this year was the highest. It's a completely separate thing from HO/car.

They contract with the government. Have to follow government rules. I kept pestering them about giving a percentage discount for having flood insurance. The gal this week,  explained it as I said they contract with the govt. ,. What hit me when I was writing above is , all the trouble I've had with them based on a few inches, is CHIT  the government has contracted with a carrier that is going to fight every inch. That's what Hartford did with the tub failure. In a major crisis WTF who needs that.

In  many things the govt. contracts to non-govt. resources. What I don't know is all the companies that the govt. has contracted with for flood insurance. I never questioned it before today. I figured I was covered. But based on the bad experience of this minimal problem. Do I want the Hartford at all? Any way shape or form so to speak. I have to find out if I have other options. CHIT, thankfully, at least here in Florida, we consider ourselves on an easy weather thingy till May/June........really late summer/fall. ............... were coming to our easy time......... I know and you should say STFU, this is the time that we maybe have to put long pant's on, maybe wear a jacket outside, maybe wear socks VS sandles..........eewwwwhhhh I'm so bad

Gotta go and cook ......................

• ChickaD
    edited November 2013

Miss Duck...thank you for being my cheerleader!

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited November 2013

Sas, Yeah for a bathroom you can use.

Chickie, Tell John if he doesn't behave tomorrow (Tuesday), we'll come and tie him down for you. I hope everything goes okay on Wednesday for him.

My DH is waiting for the okay to fly home. All depends on the test results on Wednesday. He got fitted for thigh high compression stockings-asked him if he needed a garter belt. He hasn't replied.Winking

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited November 2013

Sweetpea, how ya doin'? Staying warm I hope.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited November 2013

Julia I hope he gets the OK, I'm sure he wants to be home as much as u want him to be home.

Chickie u'r poor husband, now a complication I feel so bad for him--my eye hurts thinking about it, does he have to be awake thru all these procedures???

LUV YYYAAAYYYY That is so important.

I can't talk insurance--I don't understand it at all----I WORKED FOR N.Y. LIFE AND STATE FARM over the yrs. and they all changed when they felt like it, all the rules. Even then all the rules and regs changed constantly and I always felt sorry for the people cuz they got caught up in them.

44444 I'm sorry about u'r business u seemed like u really loved it and certainly knew what u were doing and then all this chit happened--What a bit*h.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited November 2013

Morning gals..... We had The Hartford for over 15 years.... And never once put in a claim, either for our two cars, nor Homeowners...

We just PAID it, every year.... No accidents... nothing. Our deductible was $250..I think.

But when we had that problem under out tub, with water running out through a broken pipe, OUT under the house, onto the sidewalk, they would not help us. If the water damaged our flooring, house, THEN they would pay for the water damage, but NOT repairing the pipes, the wall, etc. There is always a "clause".... which means Nope, they won't fix it.

We only have liability on both of our cars.... AND the homeowners insurance is all with StateFarm... I called a lot of Insurance Companies.... all the ones my friends told me were the best.... But, for us, StateFarm was better. We also have Roadside Assistance, which we didn't have before!

I have my 99 Chevy, and his is an 89 Mercury that he only drives once a month, to meet his Brother....Winking So he puts on about 200 miles a year on it. Mine has over 150 thousand miles on it. And we only have liability on both. But that's all we need!

Those companies care about how old your house is,how old YOU are, and your cars, how many miles, how many tickets.

I sent pictures of the back of our house and garages, for the homeowners insurance.... She HAD pictures of the front of our house from Google earth!

But all those years, we paid in, and never put a claim in, and Hartford would not match the price of StateFarm..... so I cancelled it.

When DD just had her old car rear-ended, she called Allstate right THEN.... because the girl gave us that information! They took care of EVERYthing for her, so fast! Sent a guy out the next day! Fixed the car, paid for the car rental, and it was done extremely fast.

I just think you have to check around.... get the best rates... and ask about EVERYthing.

Chickers..... soooo sorry about your DH! Keep him from getting discouraged... My DH was hit by a car years ago.... He was in the street, making a location, with his orange vest on, but a gal in a Volkswagon smacked into him... Hospital..... just badly bruised, but the pills they gave him, for blood thinning, and for pain, made him think he was dying that night! I was SO scared! I called emergency, and they told me to make him drink a quart of milk!

I forgot about all this until you and Ducky talked about these men or ours! And the time he was under his car, working on SOMEthing, and the car fell off the jack and onto his face! I was 8 months pregnant, and when he picked me up from the bus, I thought I was going to faint! His cousin was with him, the whole time.... Doctors, stitches, and the bandages over 1/2 his face! It fell right between his eyes, on his forehead, and so damn lucky he didn't lose an eye!

Juliaanna... Compression stockings? Yes.... I wear them every damn day, but only knee high. Can he put them on himself? That is the hardest part! Garters? Ha, ha! Remember those things..... ????

None of you probably do... Ducky will.....Garter-belts, and those "sanitary napkin elastic things?" You younger gals don't know what you missed! Loopy And the hot-water bottles for cramps? I mean did we even have electricity in those days?

Okay.... have a fun whatever today is..... xoxoxo

• luvmygoats
    edited November 2013

Juliana - LOL. He may be thinking about the more "kinky" garter belt like at weddings and "other" events. In all seriousness hope his tests prove he can fly and he has an uneventful trip home and recovery. OH yes Chevy I remember garter belts; I remember my 1st pair of pantyhose. Miracle invention. And yes and yuck on san. napkin belts.

Speaking of Roadside Assist, if you have AT&T cell service they have it also for a very minimal fee.

Chickie - With you and DH. Hope for a nothing day today while you're at chemo. Pile his nesting place up with everything he might need. Can someone check on him while you're gone? Maybe just another phone call from someone else on the sly?

Quatre - must you have a separate building for catering? I think Texas just changed last year or so some of their laws regarding food made at home. I know here you can rent a kitchen because some organizations occas. rent our big church kitchen. Maybe someone has a small commercial kitchen you can rent/use. OR maybe be able to rent to whomever you sell building to or from who gets the lease? Selling fixtures with it?

But Sassy you're right about diff. between homeowners and car. Never had a bit of trouble on all the car repairs d/t accidents. State Farm has been excellent. We do carry comprehensive on 2 of the 3 since they are still worth quite a bit but not on the 15 year old worn out truck (that came in handy when I hit that deer PTL).

Off for breakfast and PT (5 left) then off for a bit of shopping. Did some yesterday - hum bought boots and a light jacket for moi. DH and I don't gift each other so when I see something I want within reason I buy it. Wore the other pair of "leather ha-ha" boots out and put in garbage. TTFN.

• camillegal
    edited November 2013

Chevy I know all that stuff and they again are selling garter belts for those sexy people, so I don't have any, but Ducky might. But really if it helps holding something up why not--whatever works.

Eveybody has to be getting ready for Thanksgiving I'm sure, well I don't do anything but show up at the table.

• ChickaD
    edited November 2013

Hi my friends...at chemo....DD#2 is babysitting my hubby and making sure he stays put...she even put a GPS tracking app on his cell and Ipad to keep tabs on him when I am not around...lol..gotta love these kids today.

Miss Cam...not sure about possible surgery tomorrow if he will be put under again or not...I hope so!

Thanks for all the love...hopefully his appt tomorrow will be good news.

Xoxo

• 4sewwhat
    edited November 2013

Sitting at the dentist with all 4. They are so happy with me for scheduling dental and orthodontist appointments during their school break!

I will catch up with all in a bit!

I DO have garter belts and a couple of corsets with garters too SillyHeart

Those other belts sucked, have had them too! And those awful 6 inch thick 18 inch long pads. Ugh, might as well have used a dish rag!

I finally bought new shoes with some heels, BOOM, broke my ankle!

Bought new lingerie, BOOM, BMX!

Not buying hats or gloves any time soon Shocked

• 4sewwhat
    edited November 2013

Chickee,

It is already good news that they are on top of everything and have identified a problem and will get it fixed ASAP!

I can relate to needing a sitter! My DH has not behaved well since shoulder surgery. I catch him out of the sling and always doing too much and started driving too soon. Stubborn ASS! I told him he better never say another word to me bout anything like that or about following docs orders!

Good Luck with chemo! Are you just doing Herceptin now?

Please keep a good thought for my friend Sallie today. She recently got "the news" and is having her BMx today.

• camillegal
    edited November 2013

Oh 44444 poor Sally, how many more have to get this Bastard???

Oh chickie that's kind of funny, leave it to kids is right hahaha. I pray everything will go good for him tomorrow, and everything for u today.

• 4sewwhat
    edited November 2013

I could not agree more!

On both counts ;0)

• savgigi
    savgigi Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2013

Chickie, it sounds like you have DH under control for the moment. I hope all goes well with surgery tomorrow and chemo today.

• ChickaD
    edited November 2013

Home from chemo...yay.  Saw so many doctors today had 6 month check up with the breast surgeon, 6 month check up with the plastic surgeon, check up with the RO, and pallative care.....got lots more drugs and they finally put me on the AI called Arimidex.  And I have a PET scan scheduled for Friday morning.

Passed down to me from another sister is some new bottles of Tamoxifen.  Please PM me if any one could use these as we do not want to throw away new drugs.

John actually behaved himself today...I think..at least no evidence to say differently yet....lol

• duckyb1
    edited November 2013

Chick let me know how you do on Arimidex....my SE's on Letrozole are horrible....aches and Paine...either going to stop altogether, or switch......tired of feeling awful......

• savgigi
    edited November 2013

Ducky, I have worked my way through aromasin and arimidex and am now on femara. It has been about a month and so far so good. But I know it is too early to really judge SE's. After doing a lot of reading, I am splitting my dose and taking half in the morning and half in the evening. We shall see.

• duckyb1
    edited November 2013

sav....was advised to take mine at night.....it was ok in the beginning, but once the SE's started it was awful.....joint pain is unbearable...take nothing for the pain.......I'm on enough crap, and dopey enough, plus walk like I 'm sloshed, so enough already.......if I do finally take something, it is extra strength Tylenol.....I do take 325 mg aspirin at night for a 2007 mild H.A, but it does crap for the pain...

• savgigi
    edited November 2013

MO has not suggested anything to me about when to take it. Have you tried the other AIs? I got different SEs with each. I was not on arimidex long enough for many SEs to show up. Within 2 weeks it caused crippling fatigue and I have to work. I could not function when I needed 5 hr naps each day.