Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...
Webinar: Corrective Breast Reconstruction: Getting the Results You Want Join us July 9, 2024 at 6pm ET. Register here.

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Options

Comments

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013
    Options

Luv u'r right about the pain meds if the Drs. want suggestions what are we supposed to know. Wow I feel so bad--I wish she could tolerate something.

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013
    Options

Shells and Sassy, Do you think a compounding pharmacy could work up something for GmaF? I know we use "magic gel" for our folks on hospice when they can't/won't take their meds by mouth?

Thank you for the kind thoughts and words regarding my DH. He is doing okay especially now that he is home and is able to see his GD. (I think he might be a little happy to see me, too. Happy) I really don't like these emoticons.

Welcome, pinkie-always happy for another west coaster to join us.

Ms grahamcracker, good to hear from you. I'm sure you will be glad to get home.

Hope all the DHs are healing and behaving.

Blondie, so nice to see your post.

Pleasant dreams to all.

J

• ChickaD
    ChickaD Member Posts: 971
    edited December 2013
    Options

Just checking in my friends....really exhausted with the 2 hour caretaking of DH........he is still in severe pain and getting crazy bad headaches every day....back to surgeon on Wed.

Miss you all right now  xoxo ♥♡♥♡

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,890
    edited December 2013
    Options

ChickaD, So sorry to hear that. I'm not surprised you're exhausted. Have you let the doctor know about the headaches? Could he have a concussion? Wish I could be there to help out. (((((HUGS)))))

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited December 2013
    Options

Ah Geez! His poor head! If it ain't one thing it's another....

When I had that brain concussion, I don't even remember headaches.... Of course I don't remember anything anyway, for years beFORE or after that concussion... Sometimes it could be the meds? I'm so sorry Chickers.... I wish we had some suggestions, or could help you.. Write down everything the Doctor says... Maybe it IS the meds he is taking for the blood thinning?? Or a bad reaction to one? That time the car ran into my DH, while he was bent over, didn't cause as much damage as the pills the hospital gave him for bruising and pain... Just wish we could help....Scared

Juliaanna.... did we already lose Pinky? Maybe she can't find us again? Poof! she's gone....

Phyllidink is here! With us! You know, with that ankle monitor, you are supposed to check IN more often! And we don't CARE if you are eating like Miss Piggy.... I seem to have that affliction also.... I don't EAT more, but what I do, just hangs around and never leaves.

And yes, Cammi will teach you things... like spelling... but pay no mind... She is a working gal now...ya know! She can teach us phone etiquette..... or whatever... She has appointments, but doesn't go, or can't remember, or blows them off entirely! We have to mend her way of thinking.

Ducky! You said LMFO....!!! So does that mean "Laughing my floor off?" Ha, ha! And so I'll bet YOU are going to teach Cammi spelling!

I have a Laminate floor you know... maybe you meant "Laminate my floor off"....

Cammi! You were busy? SURE you were! You mean like napping with Joey and Katey-kat and taking your pills that you screw up? Just don't forget to take them! You need one of those plastic pill reminder things, with 16 compartments.... which is as big as a shoe-box. And an alarm-clock... with those bells on the out-side? That reminds you to TAKE a pill! You need a care-taker.... like me. I will fix you chocolate cokes, and we will smoke cigarettes and watch dirty moves! Ha, ha! We musn't let little Joey in the room when we are doing illicit things though... I might give the perception of corrupting you...

Sassy... I'm so glad the vinegar is helping.... I only used to stick my fingers in it... because my hands were alright! Just my fingers were falling off! But they are much better now.... honestly, I think "things" just come and go! Our bodies DO try and heal themselves, when they can, and sometimes by intervening we disrupt that whole process!

MAN, where did THAT come from? I may be more intelligenter than I think! Ha, ha....! I made myself smile!

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013
    Options

• Charles_Pelkey
    Charles_Pelkey Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hey gang, I'm just checking in to say hello. I'm coming up on two years since chemo wrapped up and still coming through check-ups with a clean bill of health. I sure hope it stays that way.

Given that this thread originated with the dumb things people say to breast cancer patients, I'll offer the latest odd reaction from someone when I told them that I had breast cancer.

The woman looked at me with a confused expression on her face and then grinned and said "you GO girl!"

Not necessarily a dumb comment, but it did make me smile.

On another note: a few of you may have seen Irish actor Chris O'Dowd's British public service announcement on male breast cancer. It's a short film about the man with "the best job in the world," the health and safety director at the Topless Female Trampolining World Championships" (http://jezebel.com/5944172/chris-odowd-hangs-out-with-topless-women-on-trampolines-for-mens-breast-cancer-awareness). You don't get the PSA until the end, but the video is hilarious.

Anyway, Chris O'Dowd is playing Irish Journalist David Walsh in a new movie about Lance Armstrong, doping and the Tour de France. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3083008/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1 It's based on Walsh's book "7 Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong," but the movie doesn't have a title yet.

Check the link and see who the actor Nathan Wiley is playing. Kinda cool, eh? We're going to be at the premiere next May and my daughter - who is a huge Chris O'Dowd fan - is really looking forward to meeting him. Me, I'm looking forward to thanking him for treating male breast cancer with the sort of humor it deserves.

Okay, that is all.

I hope you guys have a good Christmas.

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited December 2013
    Options

LOL

Good Morning Hoolies--and don't worry Chevy u are not more intelligent than u think.

Oh Chevy, bevy,, levy after all this time u really don't think I have compartment and stuff for my pills, does it do any good yes sometimes but not always---and BTW  I was busy with work it seems it's busyist Monday; like crazy and everyone wants to tell me all of their problems as if I understand--I relly don't care about lighting and replacing dry wall etc. I just want the info, But now I can't be rude. Which is very difficult for me these days.

And Phylomissing was in last nite, long time gone.

I'm going to my GF's house today for lunch and I'll bring my handy phone for calls--se how dedicated I am

I hope all DH ar healing or at least not in pain. How awful.

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited December 2013
    Options

ChickaD -

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving! (I'm trying to smile) Thanks for all your concern and hellos - I did receive them. My 2 grandsons 6yrs/3yrs came with mommy and daddy for the Thanksgiving week and I am very Thankful that I am still around to enjoy them. We played Pirate 101 every waking moment for 4 days in a row, except when I was working. They left telling me how to play "their" pirates and get them "Leveled-up" for their next visit. It was a HOOT.

Now for what has been happening with me:

Wanted you to know that I went for my recheck with my pain management doctor. We discussed my issue, still with the dizzy and nausea. Trying to compromise between the pain and the dizzy and nausea. He told me that a red flag keeps arising in his head with the Gralise. So, we have decided to drop the dose of the Gralise to 600mg in the evening instead of 900mg. If the dizzy and nausea is lessoned and I don't have too much pain, maybe the lower dose would be better. If the dizzy and nausea is still there, he wanted me to drop it another 300mg. We might have to take me off the Gralise totally and decide what else to use for pain meds. For the moment, I am just dropping the Gralise to 600mg and see what happens. This is a hard choice for me because I really hate being in pain, but I need to function and the dizzy/nausea has started to rule my choices and that is definitely, not working. Dizzy vs Pain.. very very tough choice. This really sucks. Sorry for the choice of words, but it does.

Meds I can't take because of severe SE's are: Motrin, Anaprox, Aleve, Feldene, Hydrocodone, Amitriptyline, Ativan, Zoloft, Paxil, Trazodone, Effexor, Darvon, Aspirin, Cymbalta and Lyrica. The Doc mentioned Nortriptyline? Said patients that couldn't tolerate Amitripytline could use it?? Not sure about that one. He told me he would put me back on the Tylenol #3s if needed but I still think they make the nausea worse (Doc doesn't think it is part of the problem). All my other choices are major narcotics and I went that route once and didn't like not driving. Even though, I'm not doing much driving now either with the dizzy.

As you can see - I do have alot on my mind and have been spending alot of time in the basement actually asking Veggy how she likes being an angel and how she got herself out of the basement..

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2013
    Options

Face off face off, numb nuts........those chickens been pecking at your head..

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited December 2013
    Options

GOOD MORNING HOOLIGANS, A full nights sleep thanks to melatonin.

Littlegoats, soory I thought it was your Dh that fell in the garden maybe it was GG's

GG hope your Dh is okay :)---------GG my computer wouldn't turn off , then it wouldn't turn on. Held power button down several x's for about 30 seconds, then it turned on? But I don't know if there was a connection? Any ideas?

GG You said you would tell us later about the Hawaii problem ----ready to talk yet? You sounded very unhappy? What was the deal?

Cami, Foley was taken off the Tylenol 3 last adjustment. Codiene long ago fell into disfavor b/c of it's abdominal s.e.'s, but for some people it's a godsend.

Julia what is Magic Gel?

SHELLS----------YOOHOOOO CAN YOU HEAR ME IN HAWAII? I HAD THE SAME THOUGHT AS JULIA. Is there a drug in the hospice regimen that may work?

I looked at Actiq. Looked at Marinol. Thinking that a low dose of Marinol may help with the nausea and appetite and pain. In combination with the a pain med might help. Foley's dose of tramadol is 12.5(25) mg TID. She can't take more b/c of s.e's. It's suspicious b/c it's first three s.e.'s  are nausea, dizziness and-already forgot.. It seriously changes her breathing with her CPAP according to her DH if she takes a 25(50)mg at bedtime. The drug being altered right now is Gaba. He changed her Gaba from mult dose to extended release last alteration. Yesterday he reduced that dose and wants to give it a few weeks.

Going to look at her drugs today through youScript and dailymed.org. They've talked about oxy. I know everyone realizes he's doing the right thing in altering one drug at a time, but she'd seriously like to have some control.

One symptom she told me about awhile back was when she turns her head to the right is when the symptoms occur. I asked if they checked her carotids--they had. Then I asked her to get checked for the crystals. They did, and then gave her the dx of BPPV. She's done the exercises, but didn't have improvement with them.

I did have a thought about carotid sinus syndrome last night. Some people are so sensitive, and it's not an easy dx target if they don't have the fainting as a presenting symptom/sign with the head movement.. BUT the symptoms/signs occurring with the head movement. in one direction are very suspicious. Might as well look at subclavian steal syndrome too. Also,She has significant cervical arthritis. The exercises with neck arthritis are a problem in themselves.

I don't think I left out any details. Hope this jogs something for someone.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Well, Foley and I talked for along time. She'd read my above note before posting hers, even though her post is before mine.

The vascular studies were done but unsure if the SSS studies were done specifically.  Subclavian Steal Syndrome-SSS is a real possibility. It has so many physical exam commonalities with BPPV. As I was reading it was -Chit, chit,chit at different points.

Shellshine I think you will find this link very interesting. The key is it's 3 case presentations point out that not all s/s's need be present for SSS to be the problem. Even within the same patient the s/s's can present differently at different times.

Foley has already decided that the BPPV exercise was making her s/s's worse and isn't going to do the exercise any more. IF the SSS is the origin of her problem with the vertigo, the BPPV exercise would make her s/s's worse. SSS for her vertigo is a possibility b/c it involves the vertebral artery. The vertebral artery goes up through openings in the cervical spine up to the brain. The presence of cervical arthritis is very suspect b/c the occurrence of the vertigo with the right head turning is complelling. Basically, the arthritic changes can be impinging on the nerve with the turning of the head.The nystagmus can occur with both, but for different reasons.

It was a big CHIT when I read that nystagmus was a sign in SSS, didn't know that.

Chevy, you too will find the article interesting b/c of the circulatory mechanism falls in line with the description of what occurred with your hearing loss and tinnitus.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2640015/

We talked for along time on self evaluation of s/s's occurrence and how to change action related to s/s's occurrence. AS far as the Gralise --Gaba extended release. She has three years experience with the drug in the standard form. She's been on the extended release 3 months. We were able to discern that she can identify that there is a difference in quality of the usual positional change vertigo and the vertigo sensed closely after taking the Gralise in the evening. That's big b/c that lends toward drug effect for the vertigo after taking the drug. Her experience with the drug over time, she notices a change in response after about the third day. So dose alteration started last night.  Can't stress enough that the ability to define a difference in the quality of the vertigo is important to her scenario.

My analogy is that her scenario is like a multilayered cake. Each layer is a bit different, but while the overall cake appears the same, the differences are important.

Schatzi just came in to rat out Dini for jumping the fence...................

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013
    Options

Ducky.... you lost me. Were you talking to one of us?

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013
    Options

But Mr. Charles! So good to hear from you again! So is that actor playing your role.... about male breast cancer? I think we are proud of you!

One of my dearest friends, Swede Johnson, who was a CEO? of Coors, AND an actor years ago, also had male breast cancer! That's the first time I had ever heard about it! I thought it was reserved just for us girls.... !

The comment that gal had for you, was hysterical! I mean that means she accepted you!

Hope you are doing good, you wayward boy you!

And that YOU and your family also have a great Christmas! Is it snowing there? Supposed to start tonight here, and then we will be in a deep freeze.... here!

This is the article I found of Swede! He was my "mentor" I told him.... He just always made me laugh.... I dedicated my book to him.... just for being my friend. This says he died of lung cancer, waiting for a transplant.... but it wasn't that long after he was diagnosed with the breast cancer that he got lung cancer.

http://tucsoncitizen.com/morgue2/1995/07/06/168169-swede-johnson-wildcat-to-end-friends-say/

Grammie, I am so sorry for all that you are going through! I just can't imagine..... We love to see you post though.... so come back when you can!

Okay, now I'll read that link Sass! Thanks! xoxoxo

Edited to add... I read the article, and from what I can understand, (which is a stretch) is that that SSS does happen affecting hearing AND like other extremities.... I never had anything other than loss of hearing... The gal that had more extensive testing, by her ENT DID find that an infarction near the 8th cranial nerve affecting the auditory nerve in the brain stem ... the "infarction" is a small stroke, which IS listed as a SE of Tamoxifen, along with Cataracts.

But this only happens in women that have this "certain gene".... and now they DO have a test to determine if this would happen when Tamoxifen is recommended.

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013
    Options

You know - obviously from my list of no-nos, Its not like I haven't tried to solve this pain issue. I just want to move on with my life, be able to enjoy a bit of life without pain, dizzy or nausea... GRRRRRRRRRR

Ok vent over. I have a great, understanding family and church family. I do thank God for that. I also thank God for the peace He gives me with these views:

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited December 2013
    Options

Sas, magic gel usually has lorazepam or haldol, an analgesic and one other ingredient compounded into an ointment. You rub it into the skin-usually the forearm. It is quite effective. My brain and body are on vacation today so I can't remember the specifics.

Charles, thanks for checking in. Glad to hear you are doing so well. I'll be checking out that PSA announcement. Take care.

• Charles_Pelkey
    Charles_Pelkey Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2013
    Options

Chevy,

No, the movie is about the days well before I was diagnosed. It's mostly about the Tour de France years, starting in 1999. Walsh was in the car with me at the Tour and a lot of the movie is about our growing skepticism of Mr. Armstrong. It is a nice coincidence, though, that the star of the movie has worked to help raise awareness of male breast cancer.

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,890
    edited December 2013
    Options

Foley, I sure hope they can figure out something soon. Needing to choose between pain and dizziness is awful. And stay out of the basement. Nothing gets better down there.

Charles, Good to hear from you. Glad you're doing well.

SAS, It was my DH who fell in the garden. I think he'll take the bandages off today so he can wash his hair. He washes his hair religiously every day, so not being able to do the full job yesterday was a big deal. I wish I had taken a photo of him waiting to be seen. The triage nurse put big gauze pads on his wounds and then wound a bandage around the whole thing. He looked like photos of WWI soldiers.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Wren, so Glad your husband doing BetTer.  Can just envision him with wound wound up( ah memories of Gallagher).

Julia, thanks on the Magic Gel. Definitely see why it would be effective. I wouldn't mind some. Right now, but smoothed over the top of the right trap muscle. Tighter than a taut guitar string. These muscle pain flares don't unwind all at once.

Charles, how cool. Your famous. So, anymore of the inside scoop or would that be indiscreet?

Chevy, the spectrum of s/s's with SSS are numerous. So often when s/s's are listed on a condition /disease/syndrome it leads the reader/ practioner to believe most or all  must be present. What this study identifies well, is three very different presentations, but the route i.e the subclavian artery is found to be the origin, the continued branching of the arteries>>vertebral>>basilar or further up and it's end result of s/s's are very different. My previous experience with SSS was with patients that had fainting, bp changes, arm numbness,.....not the nystagmus/hearing loss and tinnitus. The three from other sources--yes , but not SSS. So, that's new info for me. I like new info LOL. Trivial Pursuit.

I was thinking more carotid sinus syndrome and only secondarily thought of looking at SSS. But the reading convinced me that SSS is more of a consideration than CSS.

Since I had BPPV in April, the words dizzy and vertigo have taken on a whole new understanding. They both have the same definition, but degree is worlds apart. For me dizzy is on one end of a spectrum with full blown vertigo the far end. Like the difference between a tea cup ride and a giant roller coaster. I don't think I'd use that analogy in a classroom---there again, maybe.. But after experiencing vertigo, I now would have lots more questions for a patient. For example, the question to Foley about the quality of the vertigo based on movement versus after taking the drug. Before April I wouldn't of asked that question.  The drug dizziness I have experienced with any narcotic for eons. I've had both now and there is a marked difference----in quality.

Also, I understand the old word swooning now. Some old words made me wonder what are they really trying to convey. Like apoplexy, the vapors........others , but nothing else is popping right now.

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited December 2013
    Options

Chevy.,....that was for you.....you said I said LMFO to Cami meaning "floor"...........I meant "laughing my face off" not "floor" off....

Ok now you got me confused......

Cami said...pooped in when I believe she meant popped in.......ok I give up.......

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418
    edited December 2013
    Options

Foley, love the photo, I sure hope things get better for you ASAP.. I will quit complaining about my post Taxol bone pain, cause I cannot imagine dealing with what you are.

Sas, Chevy & so many others that post here. I am in awe of your knowledge. I am still trying to figure out the basic bc 101...

44444, are you hiding from us? Did someone offend ?

• gmafoley
    edited December 2013
    Options

Holeinone - Bone pain is the worst! I've learned here - NEVER lessen what you are going through. If it is bad enough that it is the only thing on your mind, then it is bad enough to complain about. I tend to do what you are doing, but have come to learn everyone's different and we are here to hold eachother up through the good and the bad.. Hugs to you!

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Oh Holinone, holynun, erhh Holeinone----------44444444 wouldn't leave us -----she loves us. She was dealing with a family dilemma.  Everyone here has an expertise niche. You need an answer, we got someone that if they don't know already, they know how to get the answer easy enough :) WE do need a money person though..........

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Oh Foley, remember the right pain going left>>>>>>>>time for a valium and a nap with a neck roll NLOL.

---------------------------------------------------

BTW--it's at least the fourth time that I've paid attention to schatzi coming in without Dini. Shats comes up looks at me wags her tail, then goes back and looks out the door. Each time I've paid attention---Dini HAS jumped the fence.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2013
    Options

GMA - glad to "see" you - sorry they haven't found the source of your issues yet. Hope for a recovery for you soonest.

SAS - the story of our vacation.... Well, I think we weren't meant to go to Hawaii at that time. Should have done something else, I guess. Anyway, we had originally planned on visiting our son and his family on Oahu - however, the grandkids got lice, and we wanted to rest, so decided to go to Maui instead.

We rented a condo through VRBO that had quite good ratings. Hubby spoke with the owner at length, all seemed well. Well, we pulled up to the condo and the building was undergoing construction. RIGHT OUTSIDE THE CONDO we had rented was where they were working. They were grinding concrete and jackhammering ALL DAY EVERY DAY. We would leave at about 0730 in the morning each day, tape the door of the room closed in an effort to minimize the concrete dust. We'd get back "home" at about 4:00 in the evening to spend the next hour or two cleaning up. The pool was unusable, as the concrete dust would float down round about the pool (and by the way, did I mention that I'm allergic to concrete dust????) so both hubby and I had asthma the entire time we were there. Since we couldn't go in the pool, we thought we'd swim in the ocean - it was right there. We probably should have gotten a clue from the fact that NOBODY was swimming in the ocean. Because I've got arthritis in my shoulder I cannot swim as well as I used to, and so rarely do the crawl, usually I breast or side stroke and don't put my face in the water much. This time that was a good thing. The day after we went swimming hubby got sick. Turned out that there was/is a drainage ditch that empties into the ocean right about there. Once hubby got well, we found a good beach that we drove to, so that was OK. The very last day we were there hubby said we had to have at least ONE decent day of vacation, so we went to a hotel. THAT day was heavenly, and we both cursed ourselves that we hadn't done it sooner.

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Gumby. I can see why it took awhile to talk about it. It was in soooooo many of your posts before you went. Your anticipation was so high, so strong, so culminating after a long period of Le Caca.  It's like the line from the Gambler, the last few words "know when to walk away". May all your future excursions be blessed with total enjoyment.

• gardengumby
    gardengumby Member Posts: 4,860
    edited December 2013
    Options

Yeah - sometimes no matter how much you try to make things work - they just don't. This was one of those times. But - no worries - we're going back to Hawaii sometime early 2014.

And the good part was that I got to walking again - could move better, and once we got home worked my a$$ off helping hubby move us. So even though it was overall a crappy vacation - things definitely could have been worse. Smile

• sas-schatzi
    edited December 2013
    Options

Lo and behold, I thought 44444 and I had exchanged numbers. Couldn't find it in the 21 cards(front and back). Reread all our PM's  Nothing. Providence. Decided to take one more look. First card I pick up there she is. Left message on recorder that we are all missing her.

• Chevyboy
    edited December 2013
    Options

I just sent her a PM..... asked her if she survived Thanksgiving....

Ducky, okay, my mind is more confused than the average bear.... I know what Cammi said was really good! I don't think she means to do it, but it is funnier when it comes out of her.... no matter what she says.

Hi Littlegardens...! Everytime I see your name, I think of working in my Garden! We are supposed to have a really bad winter storm coming in.... like NOW! The temp has dropped, and it looks like a doozy out there.... Your vacation sounds like something from "If anything can go wrong.... it will! Glad you are home...

My Daughter gave me 2 Amaryllis (sp?) that came in to her store in broken pots, so she bagged it all, and I only had to pay a little for the dirt and bulbs....! They are getting ready to bloom! That's as close as I can get to gardening for awhile.

So Sir Charles! Maybe if we keep talking to you, you will feel bad for not talking to us for so long...? Ha! Everyone thought so much of Lance Armstrong there for awhile... Okay, so he used Performance Enhancing drugs.... I just can't figure out why that is not acceptable in SOME sports, but it is in others! I mean like Wrestling, body-building, maybe even foot-ball, but NOT in baseball!

My Daughter is friends with Mr. Universe's wife.... Phil Heath! I mean that guy is built like I can't even imagine! But I think to get where he is, it is almost accepted that you have to build yourself up anyway possible.... Maybe the fact that there was so much denying the fact, made it even worse.... with Armstrong.

And hugs to you Grammie!