Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited April 2014

I really should wear this stuff I guess. My swelling goes from shoulder to fingers. Doesn't bother me, just another reminder of ca. 

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited April 2014

arnica is great

I use it all the time

AND IT WORKS

U have to rub it in lightly but make sure u rub till it's not sticky

I use it (as I said before) for sciatica 

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited April 2014

Arnica did not phase this pain. 

• FireKracker
    edited April 2014

AND super Walmart carries the arnica gel

A little goes a long way

• 4sewwhat
    4sewwhat Member Posts: 1,895
    edited April 2014

Gma, where are you trying to get the pain relief?  Arm, leg, trunk, neck, shoulder???

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited April 2014

Arnica is good. I wear my sleeve when travelling- long haul flights and long car trips as well and when my arm is sore and heavy. Sometimes it helps when my side is really swollen. I try to do arm exercises and massage every day. Have both glove and gauntlets, usually just wear the gauntlet with my sleeve but wear a glove on long flights. Last year my hand suddenly came up and it took ages to get it back down again. Today the swelling is under my arm which is a nuisance.

That reminds me a warning - don't dry your foob on the towel rail. LOL it doesn't do it a lot of good.

Big hugs

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Aly, my therapist also put Kenesio (sp) tape on me to pull the fluid away from the arm and down towards the groin.  I didn't even notice it was stuck on me and seemed to help a little.  It is about 2 inches wide and looks similar to an ace bandage.  The adhesive has grooves in it.

If I wear my glove and sleeve together my hand gets worse.  If I wear just sleeve my hand puffs up.  today I picked up and all in one from knuckles to arm pit so we shall see.  Of course now that I have no boob and a new sleeve it is not too puffed up!

Big Hugs back at you all!

• FireKracker
    edited April 2014

my eyes r closing

And I still need to do my stretches

It always hurts me under my arm as I have the LE in the trunk

Nite all tomorrow is a bright new day and I'm not babysitting,,,yay

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Night Nite, Sweet Dreams!!

• juliaanna
    juliaanna Member Posts: 575
    edited April 2014

Late to the party.....

My BS had me take Arnica Montana pills for a week before my surgeries (lumpectomy/mastectomies) and about 2 weeks after.  I had very little bruising and pain.  My MO has suggested Tumeric for my aches and pains in my joints.  It seems to be helping.  GMa, I know my pain is nothing compared to yours but maybe it is worth a try.

Hugs to all the hoolies!

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2014

tumeric, also known as cur cumin - is my arthritis wonder. I love it, and actually can grow it over I'm here!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited April 2014

WOW......did not know  we had so many LE ladies on this thread............ME TOO........I gave up after 2 attempts at  custom sleeves....................thought "screw it"................big boo boo, after not wearing anything for so long my arm did get larger............but I have "bat wing arms" anyway, so who the hell could tell...........

I am back now and they have ordered an over the counter sleeve, and a night sleeve.........well guess what I also bend my arm when I sleep, and if that sucker is annoying, it will get thrown to the bottom of the bed, with all the other shit that annoys me in the middle of the night.............right now it looks like I might have strained my bicept muscle on the LE arm.........

No electricity that night, sleep in a flimsy nightgown. (safe, no husband to jump my bones)..........and that night when it was 50 degrees in my house and 10 below, I decided to wear........sweat pants, shirt, sweat shirt, fuzzy robe with hood, and a mound of covers to bed...............got stuck in the f/n sheets, under the 70lbs of covers, and could not roll over................literally 1/2 sat up, leaned on my LE arm to turn over, and a pain shot from from elbow to the top of my shoulder, and the next day could not raise my arm above my waist.........still can't................

SOOOOOOO.........now I have the swelling, can't raise my arm, and guess what...................after acting like an "ASSHOLE" in bed that night....the electricity came on 5 minutes after I got dressed like NINOOK of the NORTH..............

I wonder sometimes what a "pain free day" feels like...............

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Good Morning Hoolies!!

Tumeric, yes I have been taking that since my ankle broke!  Had to stop it for chemo because it interferes with Cytoxan, believe it or not, it makes the C less effective.  But I started taking it again.  I just found a brand that has tumeric and Bromelain (pineapple enzymes good for all sorts of stuff!)

I have not tried the arnica yet.  I have been fortunate to not have bruising or pain to speak of with my surgeries.  Did get awful cording several times down my arm though.  That hurt!

Below is the info on the night sleeve I got.  It also comes with a stretchy lycra cover to put over it that makes it a little tighter if you want/need and looks a little better if you wear it out.  They come in cool colors too.  Mine is teal but I know they had hot pink and a couple others too.  My insurance covered it under durable medical.

Shells, I wish I had a garden.  Every time I try the weeds get it or it dries up.  We have a 22x40 plot in the neighbors backyard.  The kids want to try again this year.  Just don't know if they will help at all.  You know how that goes!!  Sure I'll walk the dog if we get one, NOT!!

Hi Julie!  How are you doing??

Good Morning to everyone else as well!!  I am  going to pour coffee!  Slept late today, it felt good with no drain to keep track of, so I took advantage of that!!!  Off for a haircut and eye doc.  Had Lasik 13 years ago.  It has been fabulous.  Thanks to chemo it looks like I need some glasses again.  Not for reading which is what I figured would happen, but for distance.  It was nice while it lasted!!

Have a great day ladies!!!

http://solarismed.com/introducing-the-tribute

Find a retailer for TributeNight custom lymphedema garments

• gmafoley
    gmafoley Member Posts: 5,978
    edited April 2014

Ladies just keep coming with the ideas - Maybe something new that I haven't tried will come up. - I have done this to you before and I'm sorry.  Must be when I am ready to give up hope of ever being "Pain tolerable".  I know at this point, it will be a miracle if I become pain free.  I went to choir practice for the Easter Service last night and just doing a bit of extra walking around and I had to sit down the pain in the Breast got so bad.  I can say this here but I know it isn't possible and I know better - "Just shoot me now!"..

4 - the pain is in breast - nerve damage from radiation. Emu worked for the rad burn but not on this nerve pain.

Julianna, Shell - have used the arnica - not helping, and do make homemade indian food with cumin and tumeric.(Lots of it in my diet)  My problem isn't the aches and pains though - it is knife stabbing, shooting constant nerve pain that gets worse if my LE swells the trunk.

• duckyb1
    edited April 2014

4........does the Tumeric give you heartburn, and I assume your doing the supplement and not the real stuff.............what is the name of what you take and what strength..........that sleeve looks confortable..........hope my new one they get is like that.......will call today to get more info from the PT.......still waiting........

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Ok Gma, let me go find the links I posted elsewhere, BUT they are having REALLY good success treating pain with AFT.  Autologous Fat Grafting.  It is relatively simple but it does require at least twilight sedation.  They liposuction from somewhere, I personally have pplenty of donation sites!!  Then they place small amounts of your own fat cells in several areas of the problem place.  The stem cells in the fat then start to rejuvanate the radiated tissues.  The fat cells also establish their own blood supply and end up bringing more oxygen to the area.

Also, Hyperbaric is being used for rad damage and is a head to toe treatment so it could help whatever else ails you too!  I am probably going to do the hyperbaric to aid in getting my recon back.  This one tiny fin thing is a realy pain whenever I try to find anything to wear.  Plus it just pisses me off!

Dr, Drew Welk is a PS in your area that is doing the fat grafting on radiated patients.  I have been in contact with Raelan on these boards.  She is one of his patients.

I know you had a lumpectomy, yes?  But I also know that they use fat grafting to ease MX pain.  My PS has done this for several women and has had really good turn outs with it.

I will find the links and get them here!  It would be a couple of short procedures and a permanent fix!!!!

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Ducky

that sleeve is super comfy!  I don't mind it at all.  Even wear it for watching TV, sitting around reading, etc...  I HATE the other ones.  My fingers burn and everytime I bend my elbow it feels like a knife cutting across.  I try to do the night one and then skip the days.  I only do that if it is really starting to try and swell up.

Nope, no heartburn.  The first tumeric I took was New Chapter brand Tumeric Force  It had 320mg of one tumeric and 80mg of another.  I did 2 a day, sometimes 3.  My ankle swells bad, compliments of chemo!

Product Detailsat Amazon although I got it at healthfood store to start.

The brand I just got was NOW Tumeric & Bromelain for joint health.  Both Pineapple and papaya enzymes are excellant for bones and joints.  (Bromelain and Papain)  You can get the papaya ones in a yummy chewable!

Product DetailsAgain you can get on Amazon.  Most stuff is cheaper there.   I usually get from health store lady the first time to see if I like it before I order it.  Plus it is a local mom and son and I would like to see them stay in business!!

I also get Alkaline water there and it is fabulous.  REally hydrates you and you don't have to drink so damn much.  Plus you lose that "thirsty" feeling.  I can drink regular water all day and still feel thirsty!

Another thing I take is multi vitamins.  I have tried, and quit MANY brands over the years either because of the "burp back" yeast taste or because they didn't do a thing for me.  The brand I take now is Garden of Life Vitamin Code.  I take the women's formula, but they have one for you "wiser" women too!  I REALLY like these vitamins and I feel great these days!

Product Details

I have several other things I take if anyone would be interested.  My blood counts have never dangerously dropped, even through chemo and no anemia either.  I do try to verify things at least 2 places before I take anything.  One place I look stuff up is Sloan Kettering

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/integrative-medic...

You can look up almost any vitamin, herb, mineral, etc.....

OK I sound like a pusher now!!

• duckyb1
    edited April 2014

4...........LMAO.............push on baby..........as long as it helps me...........LOL

• shellshine
    shellshine Member Posts: 930
    edited April 2014

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited April 2014

Shells, Love it!!

• juliaanna
    edited April 2014

Greetings, ladies.  Spent the past two days at a Gerontology Conference sponsored by Oregon State University.  Great speakers, including one on pain management in the older adult.  I'm going to check my power point again-I seem to recall some new pain management techniques...so maybe, Gma, I can find something new for you.

Spent the evening unloading the truck containing my DH's stuff from Wisconsin.  He will be home, mostly for good, next week.  Originally this job was for 37 months-it's been 45 months and the ship still isn't finished.  Life will be very interesting once he gets back home.

Pleasant dreams, one and all.

• maryland
    maryland Member Posts: 1,047
    edited April 2014

4sewwhat, I may check into those vitamins, I just kind of hop around at which kind I buy because I never really think they do anything for me, and I always have to take them right at bedtime or they make me nauseated. I'm going this morning for my second chemo so I've a long way to go before surgery and rads but I may have to look you up for some tips down the road. I can tell you've done your research. Appreciate your sharing, thanks

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

Genny,

I would be happy to pass on anything I have found and my experience with the ILC.  And yes, I did a TON of research and had very spirited conversations with my doctors!!  They don't see a lot of ILC so they tend to treat it the same as IDC, only it doesn't behave or respond the same.

The vitamins really do help!  They are first I have tried that didn't make me feel crappier.  Just remember not to take any antioxidants 3 days before or after chemo.  They want those suckers active when they club it!  They also tell us to cut sugar consumption.  Well, i read somewhere that eating sugar could speed p th ecancer cells making them more visible to teh chemo and easier to club!  I took that and ran with it as an excuse to stop for Donuts on the way to chemo!

I hope your chemo went well today.  The second round I found pretty easy.  You should feel fine by the time you get to keep Nora next week.  She is too adorable for words!!

Alright the rest of you Hooligans!  Have a good weekend.  I am packing for Vegas.  I only need to pack one pastie though!

• juliaanna
    edited April 2014

Mary WH-  sending hugs. Miss you.  

• 4sewwhat
    edited April 2014

hey ladies!!!  Just want you all to know I'm thinking about you!!

• duckyb1
    edited April 2014

4........1 pastie........peeing my pants.................found these for you......use one in Vegas, and save the other one for  sitting near the Bonfire.........LOL Red hot Mama.

• juliaanna
    edited April 2014

GMA foley, please take care.  Holding you in my heart and prayers. 

• Charles_Pelkey
    Charles_Pelkey Member Posts: 99
    edited April 2014

Hello gang,

I know it's been a while since I've checked in. I just wanted to say hello and let you know that check-ups have all been good.

The law firm is doing well and we're having fun raising hell. Unfortunately, I am working like a mad man these days (my biggest complaint about being self-employed is that my boss is a complete asshole). Other than that, I am getting ready for a run for the state legislature later this year. Maybe I should take a vacation, instead, eh?

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited April 2014

Charles it's so good to hear from u and with such good news and exciting news. U really sound happy and so glad everything is going well. Good Luck on the running--and Thanks for checking in with us.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    edited April 2014

Morning Sir Charles!  Yes, I think we have all had one of those kinds of  bosses  in our lives!    How can you be an AH if you are the BOSS, mister man???  Or am I misunderstanding something.... Ha!

So glad all your tests are coming back good!    Good luck in the Political ring....  Can't be easy....