Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

STFU (Shut the F*** UP)

Comments

• Lucy55
    Lucy55 Member Posts: 2,703
    edited May 2015

This is a pic of my daughter bathing my new grand-son in the hand dish in my ensuite.. They stayed here with us last night.. HaHa.. I didn't realise that I was in the photo when I took it !!

• duckyb1
    duckyb1 Member Posts: 9,646
    edited May 2015

Lucy......baby is adorable......you daughter is so cute, and you look great.........I did my little ones that way till they no longer fit.........LOL.......and my grandkids when I took care of them

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited May 2015

Love the photo Lucy. Your daughter is so pretty - like her Mom!!

Awwww....such a precious little baby!!!

• Alyson
    Alyson Member Posts: 3,737
    edited May 2015

What a great pic of you all.

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited May 2015

Yay babies lucy

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    edited May 2015

I still can't see what I'm typing

But I'm on

And out of the basement

Also still have problems submitting

Let's see if this goes throu

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

Basement door is locked so stay away though I will sit in the steps with you.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015

Hi, reading back and catching up....
    Ducky, I love love love the family photos.  I have not had everyone together since.....???? cannot remember.
    What a beautiful family you have...every single one.  It's hard when personalities get in the way.  I am glad they behaved for your party....as they should. 

Alyson, how awesome that you have a global phone plan now!  I didn't know that was available.
    I have relatives in NZ who sailed there from Newfoundland to start a lumber mill sometime in the last century.  They probably cut all the trees down in NF so had to leave.  I hope I am not repeating myself....but I hope to get to NZ some day. 

Lucy, I love your selfie with your daughter and baby.  What a little doll...another beautiful family!

FK, welcome to the above-ground world.  I know you are never far....sometimes we just need a little space.  Or a lot of space. 

Only three more classes to go...I can already feel the pressure lifting.  That said, I am having a double-dose of STFU days at work.  And it is not the students.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited May 2015

I locked that basement door long ago. Good to see you back Kracker!

Good to see you Joan.

• kathy7
    kathy7 Member Posts: 211
    edited May 2015

Lucy, what a beautiful baby!  How lucky you are to share that with your daughter

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2015

Lucy, beautiful baby and your daughter is lovely...and I love that you called the sink a "hand dish" So interesting! Australia is fast becoming the place I most want to visit someday! I have been watching Real Housewives of Melbourne lately - guilty pleasure Winking

FK, so sorry about your friend. Hugs!

Gotta run as am at work as usual. xo to all!

• Lucy55
    edited May 2015

April.. Yes it is interesting how we have different names for different things. I especially notice the different names we have for foods. Sometimes I have to head to google to see what you ' re all talking about 😃

Ugh.. 2.20 am here.. turn my mind off.. So annoying !!

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited May 2015

I had a pretty bad RA flare a few years ago and I was stuck in the house. My DH and I started watching McLeod's Daughter's on Netflix and we were hooked! That's when I heard the word bloke. I love that word!! At the beginning of the show we had to turn on subtitles to understand everything. By the end of the series we could understand everything. I loved that show.

• Lucy55
    edited May 2015

Slow.. I enjoyed McLeod's Daughters too.. HaHa.. Yeah..They're ALL blokes here !!

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

Morning all

Wrote a long erudite post about language differences and lost it.

We use bloke here as well. Our language here is close to the Aussies. I enjoy linguistics and have fun finding variations. We can act as interpreters between you and the Brits as we tend to use both terms.

One that always gets a laugh is when you use the term 'fanny'. It has a different meaning here. An American lecturer at one of our universities couldn't understand the reaction he got when he told a group of young wen to hurry up and get their fannies on the seats. It was only later when he told his Kiwi wife what he had said that he understood and apologised to his class the next day. He went on to write an US - NZ dictionary which is very funny.

There are some advantages to having RA eh Slow.?

• PoppyK
    PoppyK Member Posts: 1,275
    edited May 2015

The latest viral video hit is of Blinky Bill the koala. He walks into an Australia hospital waiting room, wanders around, then walks back out through the automatic doors. Here is a link in case anyone is curious: http://abc7news.com/society/koala-strolls-into-australian-hospital-waiting-room/700923/

BTW, My son, who has been to Australia, tells me koalas are stinky.

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

Koalas are stinky.

He is called Blinky Bill after a children's book.

• kathy7
    edited May 2015

Allyson

so what is a fanny?

• PoppyK
    edited May 2015

Kathy, I believe it is a woman's private parts... the part the gynecologist is so very interested in... but it is slang for those parts

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

Poppy is right so it's always funny for us when you mention fanny. We know what you mean but it is fun to appear shocked. For you bum refers to a tramp or hobo for us bum is what you call a fanny. Go figure.

Higs

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,695
    edited May 2015

lol

Alyson,

that sounds like what we have here with our various versions of referring to a soft drink. I remember when my family moved from Wisconsin to the East Coast and we were staying with my mom's brother and his family. My aunt asked my mom to get some soda from the store while she was out that day running errands, so mom said she would. So off goes my mom on her errands and when she came back, she was helping my aunt unload the groceries and my aunt says "you forgot the soda." Mom looked at her and said "No I didn't, you are holding it in your hand." My mom had brought home a box of baking soda! My aunt laughed and said she had forgotten that where we are from we call it "pop". So the next time she asked my mom to get some soda from the store, my aunt would either specify "pop" or just call it by the brand name.

• Lucy55
    edited May 2015

HaHa.. Mommy.. We call it a "soft drink " , or a "fizzy drink "..

• kathy7
    edited May 2015

That would be awful to name your daughter "Fanny"  which I used to think was a pretty quaint name......

But now all I can think of is a four letter slang word for the same area, which I believe is about one of the worst slurs one can use, hear, etc.

It starts with C....................

• kathy7
    edited May 2015

So excited, moving to a window office today, after having an interior office next to the exit door.

I brought in two plants and I see this as the beginning of a new perspective.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited May 2015

Alyson, advantages to having RA??? hahaha....Yes, I guess we need to look for any that we can find!! I'll have to remember not to use the F word in the future!!

Mommy, where I grew up in NY, they called it soda. When I'd visit my Grandparent's in PA, they called it pop. You'd think only being a five hour drive from each other they would call it the same thing.

Kathy, Congratulations on your new office with a window!

I think I'd prefer being by an EXIT!! haha

• PoppyK
    edited May 2015

Lucy, Isn't lemonade and sprite one of those things that are different in Australia than they are in the US?

Slow, you crack me up.

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

From the Kiwi. Sprite is the Brand name for lemonade. We get other fizzy drink lemonade as well. We do make lemonade though which is really lemon cordial.

Like the Aussies it is either soft drink or fizzy drink.

• treelilac
    treelilac Member Posts: 138
    edited May 2015

I just saw this. Not specifically about breast cancer but... ha!

news

• PoppyK
    edited May 2015

Treelilac, those cards are so much more accurate than the ones on my store shelves.

• Alyson
    edited May 2015

Love the cards. So true what the say.