Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Maybe a dumb flat question?

Comments

• wren44
    wren44 Member Posts: 7,921
    edited March 2015

Fla, Are you taking Claritin (or generic)? Lots of people have said it helped them with joint pain. I was already taking it and perhaps that's why I haven't had a problem.

• wren44
    edited March 2015

I have a page where I save things I want to look up later. I came across this, written about a member who is now an angel and I thought that it applies to DP as well:

"There are stars whose radiance is visible on Earth though they have long been extinct. There are people whose brilliance continues to light the world though they are no longer among the living. These lights are particularly bright when the night is dark. They light the way for humankind." (Hannah Senesh, poet, playwright, and paratrooper, 1921-1944)

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015

Wren, that was lovely. I will think of DP everytime I see a star.

The author, Hannah Senesh, was incredibly brave like DP.She became a paratrooper during WWII to help the Jews. Also like DP her young life was cut short when she was caught and tortured, then executed by the Nazis when she was only 23 years old.

Both women had such enormous potential, and strength!

• glennie19
    glennie19 Member Posts: 4,833
    edited March 2015

That was really nice, Wren.  I think of DP in the stars too.http://www.mjhnyc.org/hannah/

omg,, there is an exhibit on her at the Holocaust Museum in St Pete.

• ldesim
    ldesim Member Posts: 1,193
    edited March 2015

Wren, that was beautiful. What a sad story about Hannah.

Andrea the babies are gorgeous... I too have tolerated Tamoxifen fine, my only complaints are morning joint pain and my finger nails are horrible. Nothing I can't live with I suppose.

Have to think of things to bring up to MO.. anybody have questions lol. I need to resolve my nail situation it's just horrible.. and I am just not somebody who would keep up with acrylics and I think they ruin the nails anyways. I tried Biotin, but doesn't seem to do much although somebody said it takes 6 months.

S, hope you're feeling better.

Z, is everything ok with family?

Bobo, wtf with the book? Have you asked her how her cancer is??

Fia, good advise to DS, she may not be the best companion when they are older.

Have to go get ready going out with GF for a few hours... be back later my lovelies.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

I have a question for the Uni-boobers.  You can't mammogram the flat side,, do you get an ultrasound?  If so, how often?  I am just curious about this, especially since I have all this excess skin here. Don't want anything growing in there. I'll have a mammogram and US in May,, and I'll ask her then about US the flat side,, but I was just curious,,,,,

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015

They don't ultrasound my flat side. I have checkups with MO 3x/yr, with RO 1x/yr, and with PCP 1x/yr and they all feel me up, lol, poke around the uniboob and the scar and the armpits. Frankly it's a pretty quick, superficial exam if you ask me. Had mammos on the uni every 6mo for first couple years, now back to once a year. None of my docs believe in doing any routine scans, blood tests or anything else. Only if you have some troubling symptom.

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

Glennie, same here... I get a mammo on the remaining breast once a year now and the flat side gets poked and prodded by the MO once a year. My docs don't believe in any routine scanning either. In fact, after I finished all treatment, I figured I'd have a full scan.. just cuz and they said no, they do not do that for no reason. The only thing I have to do routinely even with no symptoms is the echocardiograms every 3 months because of the Herceptin.

Had a nice dinner with my GF who I don't see as often since she moved out of state... I love her to death, we are peas in a pod. It's so weird that I don't have friends my age.. of my two closest friends, one is 11 years older than me and the other is 10 years younger. We went to a Mexican restaurant that she was dying to try, she had something that looked like a giant egg roll. I don't really like Mexican, so I just had a couple of appetizers, there wasn't much that didn't have beans in it lol.

Have one last load of laundry to fold but I made the mistake of sitting down and now I don't want to get up.

Hope everybody is having a great weekend.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178
    edited March 2015

Glennie, I had bmx, but see MO or NP every 3-4 months, blood draws every 6 weeks. No scans unless I have symptoms.

• wren44
    edited March 2015

Glennie, Mammo on leftover 1 x year, poking on the flat side by MO. PCP did a much better job with the manual exam. No scans, no blood. No ultrasound on either.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

I only see the MO once a year now. And the BS dismissed me when I was all healed up.  I am amazed that people continue to see their BS, even w/o recon.  

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Mine originally said he would follow me for 5 years. Dummy me never asked why, my RO discharged me, and I knew I'd be seeing MO for life.

So I went in for the second year f/u, NP feels around, says I'm fine. Then says I don't need to come anymore, they are too busy.

Fine with me lady.

• Ariom
    Ariom Member Posts: 4,027
    edited March 2015

My Surgeon told me he'd be seeing me twice a year for 5 years and mammo and u/s once a year. My local Doctor has all the results etc, but he always defers to the surgeon, if I have a problem.

I had to show you this weird thing in my garden. The shoot came out of the middle of this thing a month ago, right around the time when Sheila passed and all the flowers are out now i month later. I have no idea what this plant is. There is another one on the other side of the garden, but no sign of it doing this.

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

This is my little fave beach, check out the only cloud in the sky! Wings?

• ldesim
    edited March 2015

Wow, sure looks like wings and that is the oddest thing with the flowers. Are they fragrant? I believe anything is possible and she really loved you, so who knows.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

Ava with her scratched up rug. image

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

Looks like wings to me too.

Is that a century plant?  almost looks like Spanish Bayonet,,, do you have that in Aus?

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

M:  is it sharp at the point?  Does each leaf have like little saw teeth down it?  it might actually be a type of Spanish Bayonet,, although it doesn't seem to be native to Aus.  If that is what it is,, it only blooms after 5 years!  and then the plant dies,, but babies should come up from the base of the plant.

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

Isn't that the century plant? Or the one used for tequila?

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

I just did a screen shot, know a botanist on another thread, will ask.

• Ariom
    edited March 2015

Thank you Spookiesmom, I did have the garden plan, from the landscaper when they planted the garden out, but I am not sure where I put it. This thing is very sharp and pointy, no fragrance that I can detect, but really pretty flowers. It was quite small when it was planted about 18 months ago. I am not familiar with Spanish Bayonnet. I just told the landscapers I wanted some tropical and easy care plants as I don't like, all native Australian gardens. This was just one of things they came up with.

Glennie, that's a well loved rug! Ava is so cute.

I got a surprise, when I took the picture, I hadn't noticed the cloud till I got home and downloaded the pics.

• dawny
    dawny Member Posts: 588
    edited March 2015

Ooh, the cloud, M! And the plant, I think it is DP's doing.

Glennie, thanks for asking the question about mx side, I have been meaning to ask the same thing! My onc checks mx side and other side, every three weeks when I go in for Herceptin. She also feels tummy area, and listens to lungs/breathing. Love Ava and her rug!

Andrea, Teddy and Diva are soo cute together! I want to snuggle them!

I am in the midst of scanxiety. :( I have all of my scans tomorrow, and then get results on Tues morn, when I go in for Herceptin. Trying to breathe and stay calm. But in reality I am bitching at DH, and scoffing biscuits. Lol.

Found out yesterday that a friend passed away. She had a lump removed from her neck last year. No one seems to know just what has happened, whether she passed from cancer, or something else. The friend who let me know yesterday had only texted her a few days ago, and received a text back, with no mention of any problems. She was 49, and has a 17 yr old DS and 20 yr old DD. Shitful

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

well that is shitful, Dawny.  Too damn young. 

In the bag for your scans,,,, eat all the biscuits you want.  You got any caramel Tim Tams?  I recommend those!! 

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited March 2015

I believe M.

In the bag Dawny. I'm right behind you on the scans. I dread the anxiety. Usually pick a fight with DH. Worse than pms! Sorry about your friend.

Fia. Does the tumeric and ginger tea work? Sounds vile. Not a fan of curry. I'm angry a lot but figured it was my situation. I'm scared to switch as it's working but the SEs from the tamox suck. Of course it's all in my head when I mention it.

I am seen every 2 months and get poked and prodded by mo and whomever else. It's a teaching hospital. Also listen to lungs, feel abdomen and asked same questions about my digestive system. Never any bloodwork since chemo.

See my gyn once a year. My annual is Monday am early! Hope no lining issues from tamox. Then I'll be in the bobo camp with biopsies.

I didn't get tested for the gene. No one ever suggested taking the rest of my parts.

Spent the afternoon at the park. Boy got some sun on his cheeks. LMs are chapped. Had to use the porta pot. Ugh!!! Met some Irish transplants and others from both schools. Kids tired.

Came home and watched dragons and made potato soup. Lot of chopping. Then LM wanted her dolls hair brushed. One is Rapunzel! DH told me to use my other hand. He took a round or two. Tried her detangler and then gave up and put rubberbands in it.

• fiaranch1
    fiaranch1 Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015

Zills the tea does work and it actually tastes good . Here is the recipe . I will be back later I leave in 1 hour to take DS and HAIR to the airport. Yeah a week of peace & quiet for me

Anti-Inflammatory Ginger Turmeric Tea Recipe

For 1 cup of water use 1 teaspoon each of fresh grated turmeric and ginger roots. If you use ground turmeric and ginger, use 1/3 teaspoon each.
    Add raw honey to taste, and a slice of lemon if you want.

Preparation

In a small saucepan, bring water to boil. Add fresh grated turmeric and ginger, reduce heat, and simmer for 15-20 minutes. If using ground turmeric and ginger, boil for 10 minutes. Then strain the tea and add the honey and lemon to taste.

How much and how often

There are no official dosing instructions exist for ginger and turmeric tea. You can drink 1 cup of it on days you feel extra achy.

• glennie19
    edited March 2015

Fia:  if you are using ground ginger and tumeric,, did you mean to simmer for 10 mins, instead of boil?  And how do you strain it?  Wondering about how to strain the fine particles of ground,,,,   I'm doing gluten free right now to see if it helps reduce inflammation. Willing to try this!!

Heading out to a garden festival/ plant sale at the local Botanical Gardens.  BFF is bringing the truck in case we buy a lot.  Happy

***Waving to all***

• spookiesmom
    edited March 2015

M

They all think it's a yucca.image

• fiaranch1
    fiaranch1 Member Posts: 259
    edited March 2015

Glennie,

I have only used the ground stuff once and followed the directions above (boiled  for 10 mins).  I like the fresh stuff better.  To strain I use a paper coffee filter . Also I make 16X the recipe and keep it in a gallon jug that lasts me a week without refrigerating (just shake a bit before pouring  and reheating). As its a pain in the butt for me to make 1 cup at a time

Back from the airport now , tired and going to try and get some sleep  

• AndreaJ50
    AndreaJ50 Member Posts: 704
    edited March 2015

I am wondering if I could put the ground spices in an infuser or paper tea bag and steep. Then just add honey. I wil give it a try.

Dawny and Zills in the bag for your scans. I am sorry you feel so stressed. Maybe if I bring Teddy with me then the puppy kisses will take your mind off of it for a bit.

Edited to say: Posted same time as Fia