Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited June 2014

BB, my weight goes there now too. No more form fitting dresses for the time being  :(  I guess they took everything from the tummy so now there's no fatty tissue there any more and the fat has to find a new home. The other place I have it is on the insides of my knees! I stopped taking hormone therapy while I deal with it, but you need to find a set of exercises that targets it. There are a bunch of websites that show some good ones - just search "exercises for saddle bags". They don't do cosmetic lipo with DIEP stuff here, so exercise is all I can do.

So anxious - getting the dressings taken off my new nips today. I'm scared to look!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2014

Lahela......I'm hoping the new nips look "weird but awesome" for you. Weird because they're likely much more prominent in this early stage, awesome....because you now again have nips, and for most of us, that really helps the recon seem like breasts. 

Yesterday was our 38 wedding anniversary....hubby and I had a fun, relaxing day. Today...we're helping our daughter move from one apartment to another....not so relaxing, but we're happy she's found another place to live (that isn't in our spare room)!

• lahela
    edited June 2014

I couldn't bring myself to look! LOL! I'm such a coward! DH says they look great, though. Because they're skin grafts, not origami, PS says they are pretty much as they will be, just a wee bit "grey" for now but they should have some more colour by Monday when they change the dressings again. I'll try to look then  ;)

Happy anniversary nihahi and hubs. And good luck with the move!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Sweet, it is so good to hear from you.  Sounds like you are definitely moving on.  Congratulations.  I'm gaining weight too, and can't seem to get the better of it.  Oh, well.  BB, my PCP prescribes my Effexor.  I hope you can get it going again.  It helps the anxiety immensely.  Lahela, I'm sure you will be pleasantly surprised.  I know I was.  Happy anniversary, Nihahi and DH!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited June 2014

Sweetpickle! So good to hear from you! You sound like you are enjoying life and looking ahead. That is so great.

Lahela, you are so near the finish line! I hope your new nips make you feel more like "you." I know mine do. 

Nihahi, happy anniversary! I'm glad you enjoyed your day. Moving is never fun but I'm glad she is on her own. She's lucky to have such able-bodied parents who can help her move.

Bosom, I hope you can get the Effexor and it helps.  As for the side fat, I was lipo'd there in stage II but it is back! No fair! To me, in the big scheme of things, it's not a big deal. I'm cancer-free and I have boobs, which was my goal.

Jlbloom,, I can't seem to lose weight, either, despite eliminating a lot of sugar from my diet and working out at the Y. Tamoxifen? Menopause? I am not willing to cut out all carbs and dairy.

Hubs is about to have a colonoscopy.

Happy Friday!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2014

Awww Bosum, so sorry to hear of your troubles - can't imagine what you are living right now. Don't make excuses to us . . . we are here for you whatever you want to share. That woman had no right to make you feel so terrible, and should treat every customer with the dignity and respect that he/she deserves.You are certainly NOT stupid and worthless, not by a long shot, and you better remember that. Re the anti-depressant, it is best taken for a year, otherwise you can fall right back into the depression. Hopefully you can get it, because with so much on your plate, you can easily feel overwhelmed. You need all the help you can get right now. BIG HUGS - hoping/praying something positive happens for you soon!

Nihahi, happy 38th anniversary, and may there be many more to come! We celebrated our 35th on Monday - half a lifetime, eh?

I'm so tired running around getting everything organized for my family and all my children who are coming to visit us for 2 weeks in the middle of July. We will be 12 people for 2 weeks. Cleaning out closets, throwing out stuff, sorting through things etc. etc. Also keep up going to the gym 4 days a week, as well as 2 yoga classes a week. Every night I fall into bed, and sleep like a log for 8 hours - lol. I should get fitter soon, and be able to handle it better. 

I read here almost every day, but is too busy to post regularly. All the best to all of you in your different stages of progression through the DIEP and its aftermath.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited June 2014

This bikini might have some possibilities for those of us currently withoutHappy.

Tata Top

• lahela
    edited June 2014

BB, just go as far as you are comfortable. I bet you look gorgeous without the wig, though! At the hospital where I had my surgery, they always prefer graft nips because they tend not to shrink to nothing or flatten out as much as origami ones, and my PS explained that origami ones can distort the shape of the breast. They took the grafts from the inside leg right up bordering on the labia, so I have 2 1/2" scars along the panty line on each side (no knickers!). It's a longer procedure and a slower recovery, but they're all about the outcome. I know that lots of ladies on here are thrilled with their origami nips, so I can't really speak to the difference, though.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited June 2014

Kat- so nice to hear from you. You sound great.

Movie- holy bananas- 11 miles. I turn 60 in October. How did you lose the 26? I want ALL of your secrets and tips. You look fantastic.

We are getting our plane tickets this week. I can't believe this is all happening. We fly into Seattle on a Th and will be going to Orcas Island for Tu-Th and get back the day before leaving for Mt. Hood. Planning on some hiking time with my son. Can't wait. Sounds like Jeannie, Nihahi, and I will be choo- chooing down the track that Friday. 

I hit tennis balls for the first time in two years today. It felt so great.  

This was our sunset last night overlooking Lake Michigan.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

I have to say I love going over to DIEP 2014 site and seeing a lot of names I don't know. This is the way it should be. Other "newer" girls are stepping up and helping the newest of the bunch, just like we use to do. That thread is doing great. It surely was a great idea to start the " Moving On" thread. Way to go Nihahi. 

We are truly moving on. 

• lahela
    edited June 2014

BB, nope, the scars really are right along the inner fold so they won't show in normal swimwear. :)

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Yay, Cherrie! You have a great trip planned. I will be buying the train tickets, it's just been really busy here and I want to have a clear head when I do it so I get it right. Beautiful photo! I love pretty sunsets. DD and DSIL are camping this week in upper Michigan. I hope the weather is good and they use plenty of bug spray! I am looking forward to getting back to the Y this coming week. Took a hiatus this week and I can really tell.

• Cherrie
    edited June 2014

Where are they camping Jeannie? I am near Frankfort or 30 miles SW of Traverse City. Nice today, but we have had a lot of rain. The Mosquitos are terrible. 

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, I can't remember everywhere they are going.... Traverse City, Mackinac (sp?) Island, Split Rock or something like that, some other places. They're staying in a hotel at least once. Last time they camped near Ann Arbor for a weekend, DD got chiggers. Boy, mosquitoes are a dangerous no-no for me with LE. They aren't too bad here yet, thankfully, but they're out there.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited June 2014

jeannie.....remember, I'm paying for my train fare....non-negotiable, missy!!!!!!!!! Sending good vibes for hubby's first day "on the job" tomorrow. May this be a wonderful, non-stressful, rewarding situation for both of you.

cherrie.....that is such a beautiful photo of the sunset!!!!! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. So glad to hear you ARE coming to the gathering...you had me concerned it wouldn't happen for awhile. I agree, it's great that the 2014 gals have found their way. 

movie...things got busy here, I'll try again with the phone call. 

I think I'm going to take a break from the boards for awhile. As I was finishing my Red Cross stint this time around, I realized I'm pretty burnt out and I need to recharge my batteries. Typically, I've been starting and ending everyday for a long, long time by checking the boards, and that needs to change for me. I find I cannot shut "Pandora's Box" like I used to, especially if I keep "peeking under the lid". The "newbies" and the struggles just wring too much out of me, after the other stuff I've been doing. Many of you have my email address....a better way to stay in touch for me for now, if you want to. 

I'll be back, I'm sure, and will defo see you in September. Until later.....hugs to all. 

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited June 2014

I went to Nortdstrom to get measured for bras, because I have dropped a few pounds and my foobs are pretty much settled down in size and shape. I was shocked when she told me I'm a 32D, because my new little "girls" look about half (or less) of other D-cup people. April 2013 my measurement at Nordstrom was 34B. Somehow, when I lost weight, my tummy fat now sitting on my chest actually grew? 

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Weird, I know, Morningsun. My size doesn't make much sense to me.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited June 2014

Hey friends! A quick check in. I am in Mexico with my parents. Dad's surgery is tomorrow afternoon. WiFi doesn't work in my room or I would read and post more tonight. I am on the patio but it's buggy and muggy and I'm pretty sure I just saw a vampire bat (just kidding....I think). Goodnight. Love and prayers to all. I am here through Saturday. It is a beautiful place.

• Jeannie57
    edited June 2014

Bailey, beautiful! I will be praying for your dad's surgery and recovery.

• Morningsun1
    edited June 2014

Looks nice, bailey. Hope your dad's surgery goes well, and recovery goes smooth.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited June 2014

Bailey, sending good vibes over to you, and hope everything goes well for your dad tomorrow.

• The1toC
    The1toC Member Posts: 40
    edited June 2014

Nihahi I will miss your posts. Your writing always sounds so grounded and wise; has always been helpful words. Glad you realize your needs and are taking care of yourself. Hope you have a beautiful summer hiking and doing what you love!

• lahela
    edited June 2014

Bailey, all the best to you and your family for your dad's surgery and recovery. xxx

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2014

Nihahi -  Good Morning! You are such an inspirational voice on these boards. I've enjoyed (and continue to enjoy) your positivity, wisdom, & humour. Also, your fabulous stories and photos that allow us a glimpse into you life. 

I'm also most grateful for all the support I've received at a time when I needed it most. Deciding on surgery, and then actually going through with it required a whole lot of helping hands, and yours were definitely amongst them.  You made me believe in myself, and you were there at 3 o'clock in the morning reminding us to tap tap tap. Your input is invaluable. 

I'm glad your taking the time to focus your energy in other directions. 

Enjoy your break and Happy Recharging.

Big Hug to you my friend - 

Janet

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited June 2014

Bailey, sending much love and prayers for your dad's surgery!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited June 2014

Cherrie, thanks for the beautiful picture of Lake Michigan!  Bailey, praying that all goes well.  Nihahi, you deserve a much needed break from all of this fun.  You will be missed!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited June 2014

Nihahi, sniff sniff.  Say it ain't so!  You deserve a break.  Have a great summer. I will miss you.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited July 2014

Nihahi...after being Little Bo Peep to our flock of sheep, you DO deserve a break!  Thank you for all the leadership, support, encouragement, tough love, compassion, and great advice.  Time to get your head out of breast cancer, though, and that's 100% OK!  We'll miss your posts, so don't stay away too, too long.

Cherrie, beautiful photo.  I love that we all come from different places and can share the beauty with each other. 

Bailey, nice to hear from you, GF!  Storming heaven for your dad's surgery tomorrow.

And now for something completely different...I'm BACK IN THE DAMN HOSPITAL WITH ANOTHER CASE OF DAMN CELLULITIS.  Both noobs were glowing like light bulbs Sunday afternoon, and my PS met me at his office to have a look.  "Back to jail," was his determination, so I was admitted last night for IV antibiotics.  Fortunately, I recognized it early this time and wasn't feverish and the redness was limited to a smaller area.  The IV ancef looks like it's doing a good job, so I'll probably get sprung tomorrow on oral antibiotics until the freaking end of July. 

Sigh...oh, well, it could be worse.  Julie brought Aubrey to visit and she bounced on the bed and ate my breakfast banana.  My baby's presence makes anything nicer.

• Morningsun1
    edited July 2014

Oh no, sbe, get rid of it fast, please. 

• Jeannie57
    edited July 2014

Oh, no, Sbel! I'm glad you caught the beast early do you don't feel so sick. Also happy Aubrey cheered you up. She looks so animated in photos, she must be lively in person! Prayers for you tonight.