Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited July 2014

Praying for a quick recovery, Sbe!

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited July 2014

Sbe, there must be a permanent treatment for this infection somewhere and I have all my fingers and toes crossed that they find it for you soon! Take it easy!

I looked at my nips at the PS office yesterday! The nurse brought me a mirror after she took off the dressings and they really do look like nipples! I was astonished! LOL! Still lots of stitches, but they're healing well and I can shower tomorrow. Told DH he'll have to wash them, though - I'm terrified I'll accidentally pull them off!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited July 2014

Oh no Sbe! Why does this keep coming back. You have been through so much. (((Hugs)))

Bailey- it was nice to hear from you. I was wondering. Thinking of you.

Nihahi- I can sooo relate. I usually only post on two threads now. It was just too much. That is why I was glad the DIEP 2014 site is rolling around without us oldies. I have let go and only peek once in a while. We are truly Moving On. 

Jeanne- thinking of you guys on Tom's first day of work. Were you lonely today? 

Martyj- Wish you were coming this Fall. You and Maggie are my DIEP buddies.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2014

Sbe, wishing you a speedy recovery from this thing that has been pestering you so - enough already! I'm glad Aubrey could visit, and cheer you up. Still chuckling over the 'pink chimpanzee' as you once called her - hahahaaa!

Nihahi, you have been our cheerleader for so long, and with such grace, sincerity and perseverance that you do deserve a break. Enjoy whatever you're doing, and relax from your hard work. I'm also withdrawing - guess it's normal to come to a point where you want to move on from here. Here are truly wonderful people on this board, and I try to read every day to keep up, but do not post regularly any more. 

My sister from Namibia, her family as well as all my children will be arriving for a visit on July 14. They will all be here for my 60th birthday. I've been really busy getting my house in order to receive 12 (!!!) people, but everyone has a mattress now, and access to a bathroom, so it's all good. Still cooking, baking and freezing so I can also enjoy the visit. Will barbecue a lot - lol. Weather here on Vancouver Island is absolutely glorious, and I pray it stays that way. 

All the very best to each of you flapper girls - you are near and dear to me!

• Cherrie
    edited July 2014

What a great birthday gift Liefie. I am not far behind you. :)

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited July 2014

Fly by....Surgery was very difficult, but hopefully successful. The details are not for the faint of heart or weak of stomach, so I'll leave them out (message me if you want gory details), but he's ok. He's having some a-fib (heart) issues, but they are controlling it. His defibrillator has not gone off like in Germany, so this is good news. The plan at this point is to stand him up on Friday. We will see what we see. My little mom is hanging in there, but it's very hard on her. She will be here alone (at the rental) for a few days. I leave Saturday and I don't think he'll be out of the hospital yet. Sigh. I very much hate to leave her here alone. My brother-in-law will be here on the 9th, though, so he's not far behind me.

Liefie, so happy for your celebration!

Sbel....c'mon man!!! What the heck??? So sorry to hear this!

Nihahi....much love to you, friend, you do deserve a break!

Lahela, Bosumblues, Cherrie....everyone, love and prayers for all. 

Buenos noches!

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited July 2014

BB, the graft sites look great! The scar with be really thin and right along the fold so it will never be visible at all. I love that the nips already look real because the skin is a different colour. I'll probably be getting tattoos to top it all off, but will wait on the decision until I'm fully healed. I'm so happy with them - I keep fondling them through clothes and dressings because it's so funny to feel those nubs there after all this time!

Bailey, so good to hear your dad made it through surgery well! Sending love to your mum!

I had a skype chat with my mum and her DH and am so excited that they are coming to visit! They'll spend three weeks in Italy then three days with us, but that's plenty of time  ;)  Liefie, I can't imaging hosting 12 people! You are the hostess with the mostest!!!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2014

Liefie, I agree, twelve people is a lot!  I hope you enjoy a great time together.  BB, I had the same type of skin grafting surgery, but the donor sites were the dog ears at either end of the abdominal scar.  They aren't a different color, but tattoos will take care of that.  Bailey, praying that things will all work out well for your folks.  They have certainly been through a lot.  I don't think I could keep up with them at my age!  Thinking of all of you!  Love, Julie

• Cherrie
    edited July 2014

Bailey- thinking of you and your family. How long are your parents expected to be in Mexico? ((Hugs))

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited July 2014

Cherrie - they are here until the 23rd

He is in a regular room and his heart is fine now.

Sbel, how are you today?

Love to all!

B

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2014

BB, that is correct.  The scars are just on either end of the abdominal scar.  The adjustments in my stage II surgeries have helped a lot with the symmetry and projection.  I had a bmx, so no real breast to compare them with.  I didn't think I wanted nipples at first, but my PS does them with the skin grafts as the normal process for DIEP.  I am really happy I had them done.  It really makes a difference in my perception of them.  Hopefully you can have something similar done, Deb.

Bailey, thanks for the update!

Keeping you all in my prayers.  Have a great 4th of July weekend!  ...Julie

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited July 2014

I'm free!  I'm free!  They sprung me yesterday and the hubs and I grabbed my bag and ran for the door.  I'm on high-powered oral antibiotics for at least a month, though, and I'm hoping my gut doesn't rebel.  I'll start chugging probiotics to help out.  And guess what???  It's the hamster tube again!  I'll start hyperbaric treatments this afternoon, and will probably have 8-10 of them just to beat back the bugs and enhance healing to the radiated flap.  Good thing I found the treatments tolerable last time--I'm not claustrophobic in the clear plexiglass tube and actually find it relaxing.  No phones...no computers...no knocks on my office door...it's like being on the moon. 

Bailey, prayers for your dad; he sounds like a tough old guy but enough is enough! 

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited July 2014

Bailey, happy to hear your dad is fine - phew! What a trouper that man is, and will pray all his efforts will pay off in the end.

Sbe, happy you've been set free too. All the best for those treatments, and take care of yourself.

As for the 12 people who will visit, they are my children, and my sister with her DH, and her kids who are like my own children. I have absolutely no qualm to put them all to work. Will begin making a roster soon . . . lol.

Everybody else, have a great day!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2014

Happy 4th of July!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited July 2014

Happy 4th of July!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2014

So adorable. I wore my red, white and blue on the tennis court today, but was not nearly as cute as your little one, Jeannie.

• Ridley
    Ridley Member Posts: 95
    edited July 2014

Happy 4th of July to those south of the border.  I hope anyone along the east coast is safe from the Arthur's wind and rain.

Jeannie -- (S)He looks pristine -- and adorable.

Ridley

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2014

sbelizabeth - What the heck? Back to the hamster rodeo? Well -in an effort to look for a silver lining - I bet the staff will be thrilled to have you back!

Mighty quiet on these boards lately. Of course it is a long weekend for all you lovely American gals, but I also hope that it's cus everyone is doing well.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited July 2014

It IS quiet lately, but I'm hoping that means we're all out riding bikes and barbecuing and having a lovely weekend. 

Janet, you're right, the silver lining is saying hello to the friends I made at the HBO treatment center last year.  They're all funny and gentle and wonderful.  For Friday's treatment, they talked me into watching "Nacho Libre" and dumb as it was, I laughed myself silly. 

Sunday afternoon and we're hiding inside with the air conditioning.  We'll go for a ride when it cools down a bit. 

Counting down the days to Mt. Hood!

• Cherrie
    edited July 2014

Hi everyone! Hope you all had a fun filled 4th. This is Frankfurt, MI on Lake Michigan. 

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited July 2014

You look beautiful, Cherrie. And of course, you are standing in front of my favorite lake. Glad the weather was so beautiful this weekend!

• Jeannie57
    edited July 2014

Cherrie, you look beautiful and happy! Tony looks good, too, but I see he has an "owie." Singing

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited July 2014

just popping in to say hi. I keep up, but not much to contribute these days. Sbel, sorry to hear of your latest germ warfare. Sounds like you're feeling good and in good spirits. Little Aubrey must help.

Cherrie, looking good!

Miss nahahi.

Jeannie, your pup is adorable!

Here's me and my pup out kayaking this weekend. It was wonderful.

• Jeannie57
    edited July 2014

FBB, that does look wonderful. I'm glad you are out and about. I'd like to try kayaking sometime. Hugs.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2014

Nice pic FBB. 

Yes Jeannie, Tony took a spill on his bike. He took a lot of skin off his leg and arm. He is training for a 64 miles bike ride next weekend. This is his challenge at 60, mine will be Mt. Hood. I am putting in 3 miles walking 3 times per week with friends and biking on a couple of other days. Working on it! LOL 

Still don't have those plane tickets.  THIS WEEK!!!!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2014

Okay - in the interest of pets and celebrations - I'm posting a picture of Jed.

It was a big fundraiser for basset rescue and there was a sun shower - and everybody ran into a tent. Except of course Jed, and me.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited July 2014

So cute! I love Bassets. Especially the puppies.

• Jeannie57
    edited July 2014

Janet, I love it! Jed looks very distinguished.

• Cherrie
    edited July 2014

I bet Jed stole the show.  This made me laugh.

My DH and I celebrated 36 years today with a bike ride (10 miles Katy) and dinner out. Fun day!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited July 2014

congratulations, Cherrie!