Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2014

Jeannie, Sbel, and Bailey,  get healed fast!!  I will do an express plan of healing prayers for you!!

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2014

Kat-ski, sorry for the back pain.  I hope Wilbur will come and spend some time with you!  Moving On doesn't mean we don't have problems.  You are right where you belong with this group.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited July 2014

Kat, what a kick in the pants, I am so sorry to hear this pain is so slow in leaving!  Wish we could all come over and send that pain packing.  You aren't whining, that sounds awful and we all know that after going through what you have been through you didn't need one more thing! Grrrr.  Shame on you, back pain, leave our friend alone!!!!

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited July 2014

Kat-ski - sorry about the back. Hope you feel better soon with Wilbur holding your hand

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited July 2014

The southern Appalachians across the Bluestone River Gorge, Pipestem Park, WV.  We went on a 2-3 mile hike today, though not the one planned.  Planned hike required fording the knee high river and we didn't want to get too cold.  Taking the tram to the bottom tonight for dinner in the gorge.

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited July 2014

That's only about 5 hours away from me, Marty! Are you carrying a backpack?

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited July 2014

Beautiful country ladies! 

Sorry you're not feeling well, Kat!

• butterfleyez
    butterfleyez Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2014

bailey I will take you up on the hand holding.. I was sad at orientation :-(

I have a question for those of you who had dog ear revision with binder. About how long did you have to wear it? How long did bruising last? I'm planning a trip to Miami 4 weeks after and starting to wonder if that's rediculous 

• Kat-ski
    Kat-ski Member Posts: 63
    edited July 2014

My dream house has always been in the Blue Ridge Mountains with a lake view!!  At least, we can still dream regardless what life throw us!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6TmogXhOZ8   "Dream a Little Dream for Me"  Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong

Now I am 'swinging a dance'!!  I hope this brings some cozy smiles to you all!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited July 2014

Kat-Ski, boy do I sympathize with your pain! I am too stubborn to go to the doctor. It's been 2weeks since my fall. In my case, I think all this boring rest is helping me heal as I was actually able to sit on my bum and drive to do errands today. Of course now I'm back to my "lean" on this chair. I realize I was really lucky not to have hurt myself worse, especially since I'm osteopenic. I don't know if I broke anything... Kat, kick that cellulitis to the curb and say hi to Wilbur for me! Feel free to post away here! We all care about you and for each other. Muah! as my kids would say...

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited July 2014

Good luck on your surgery, Teacher. 

Sbel, Bailey, Jeannie and Kat-ski,  heal soon. There is not much summer left and I would like to know that you are out there enjoying it. Lastly, you need to be on shape for all the celebration dancing in September!

Martin and Nihahi, beautiful pictures. I am living vicariously through both of you. Thanks for sharing!

• Teacher64
    edited July 2014

I will take all your good thoughts with me tomorrow. Thanks

• MartyJ
    edited July 2014

aw, Tammy, didnt you see me waving from Charleston?  We went to my DH's 50th HS reunion.  No backpacks on this hike.  Would have helped to carry water.

• RHGSR
    RHGSR Member Posts: 179
    edited July 2014

kat- prayers for you. So sorry for the back pain

Nihahi- wow!! Those pictures are amazing. Is this in Canada? Are you staying at that hotel? 

Butterfleyz- I go for my post op follow up this week. My PS told me binders for 1-2 weeks. They really haven't been that bad. I see you are in Houston... I lived there until I was in my mid twenties until we moved to central Texas. It has been really humid here so that had been hard to deal with. But someone (MartyJ I think) said to wear a thin shirt or tank  under the binders. And that had helped a lot!! I also had trouble with my abdomen itching for the first few days.  But  I'm not sure if it was related to the binders or the pain medication I was taking. 

• MartyJ
    edited July 2014

Nihahi - send clothes!  It is 48 deg this morning.  And socked in with fog.  Hope it warms soon and the fog lifts by 10 so I can chase little white balls around the green grass.

• RHGSR
    edited July 2014

Marty are you a golfer?

• MartyJ
    edited July 2014

RHGSR - yes, I am.  Not good, but it is fun.  It is much easier to swing since DIEP.  Before, when I had my implants they got in the way and were a general pain.  Before I had them replaced in 99, they leaked with each swing.  It was a bit disconcerting.

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited July 2014

Funny you said that Marty, I feel like I do a lot of things different including running bras, weights, tennis.... Didn't realize how much my birthboobs got in the way.  Would give anything obviously to deal with it and not have had this but might as well see the silver lining :)  

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited July 2014

Digging out the mittens and long underwear for you marty!!!! What craziness is this....yesterday I was golfing in 30C....today I'm golfing again and it's supposed to go up to 32C!!!!! Send the fan and ice this way!!!! Sheesh......how do you people live in heat like this!!!! That pic was lovely....tree covered hills....looks sooooo lush and quiet!!

So glad to hear you're golfing again too. I always joked with my PS, that I expected him to improve my golf game, if he was going to do so much work on me. Interestingly....I think it's gotten easier for me too!!!! I think it's because the cap contracture, scar tissue, etc., has been sorted out. I can even reach behind me to pull my water bottle out of my backpack now....couldn't do that for YEARS! Sadly...easier hasn't translated into "better" for the golf scores....but I'm still having fun!!!!!

RHG....yes, photos are from Canada...I live about a 90 minute drive from Banff. We do a lot of hiking on the trails around Banff and Lake Louise.

Kat-ski.....I don't remember what you did to injure your back, but I sure hope you get it sorted out and feel better really soon. Compression fx are NO FUN!!!!! How are things going with your daughter and grandkids at your place.

Jeannie....hope you're feeling better too. 

sbe...still in the fashionable footwear????

teacher...have a good visit from Wilbur....hope Stage 2 goes wonderfully for you today.

Movie....thinking of you everyday....sending hugs to EVERYONE!. 

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2014

Good morning Hikers, and Golfers, and Convalescers.

I read the obituary for FierceBLuebird, which asked for donations in lieu of flowers. So I went on to the the Wildlife Federation website , and found that you can actually adopt an eastern Bluebird! I think the gesture is largely symbolic because they do say that they do say allot the money to where it is most appreciated, and not necessarily towards a bird.

However - I found that out after I'd already made a donation. I would have like a pretty symbolic bluebird gesture, in honour of the lovely Kristine, but apparently my donation went to a big stinky bison. 

But a life is a life, so that's fine with me.

• bailey6760
    edited July 2014

Laughing and crying at the same time, Janet.....I'm sorry you got the big, stinky bison, but I do believe our FBB would've gotten a kick out of that twist of fate Winking

• nihahi
    edited July 2014

......and FBB will be howling with laughter at the "big, stinky Bison" story, Janet...! I know I am.

I was thinking about a donation to the Wildlife assn. too, but now I worry......

GOOD LORD, WHAT IF I END UP DONATING TO A LEGLESS REPTILE.......WOWZER!!!!!Shocked

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited July 2014

Bailey - Don't be sorry about the bison! I love it! They may be hairy and smelly when you see them up close, but when they're out roaming in a big field, they're just another tiny creature in a giant universe. 

(Not that I'd want one in my house or anything)

• RHGSR
    edited July 2014

love the hairy bison story!! 

Nihahi- what an incredibly beautiful place to live!!

MartyJ - I asked about the golf because my husband is a big golfer. He has been working with my oldest. She made it to sectionals for the Drive,Chip, and Putt qualifier. Pray that she does well.  She is so excited.  She had her dad buy her pink golf balls in honor of me. :0)

We went to the course yesterday (all 5 of us) and her and my husband played 9 holes. I followed them around in a second cart with the 2 littles. 

Y'all having cold weather, send some this way. We hit 101 yesterday and it is so humid!! My garden is burnt up and I'm fighting to save my fruit trees. We needrain  badly. 

• bailey6760
    edited July 2014

I tried to find a picture of a bluebird on a bison but the internet failed me.

There is a song by a guy named Buffalo Springfield called "Bluebird", though.

BUT....here is a picture of a bear and a bluebird for you.....love you all!

• bailey6760
    edited July 2014

Rhgsr great photo and story, love it....so nice to ride a golf course even if you don't play, I think. 

So I've been resting, elevating, icing and compressing (thanks Nihahi, our resident OT ) the ol' ankle and I think it's not as bad as I initially thought.....Will be back in the saddle in a couple of weeks I think.

Yippee! 

Weather is nuts.....about 60 miles from my house was the coldest place in the lower 48 the other night......summer, where art thou? (I know......in Texas!!!)

• butterfleyez
    butterfleyez Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2014

RGHSR yes the humidity is what I'm worried about. I will make sure I have a cami for underneath. I've only been in Houston about a year so Im still getting used to the summer heat. 

I am headed to Aruba Friday to sit on the beach and enjoy the scenery. I will make sure to take pics for you guys. Got to take advantage of putting on a swimsuit before all this binder business. 

• bailey6760
    edited July 2014

Butterfleyez - sounds like the perfect preoperative plan! Enjoy :)

• Teacher64
    edited July 2014

Didn't sleep much last night because I slept most of the day. I also itched like crazy until I took a benedryl, which helped with the sleep issue.

• nihahi
    edited July 2014

Take things easy for a few days, teacher. Hope the nips are doing well. They look humongous at first, but usually soften up and come down in "height" to being a very good replica. At least mine have. Even at the early stages, it made my recon transition into a breast, not a flap. Hope that happens for you too.