Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• enjoyevrymoment
    enjoyevrymoment Member Posts: 239
    edited July 2014

Teacher so glad it is behind you.  :)  Sending healing thoughts your way and good thoughts to anyone getting any other revisions or such.  Amazing what a looooonnnnnggggg process it all is.  Not sure I could digest it all at once, so maybe it is good it is all spread out.

Hugs to all

Cindy

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited July 2014

Before I posted, I actually checked the countdown clock....almost under 50 days!  Woohoo!   Boy....do I need a break!  I just wanted you to know that even though I am not posting, I am most definitely taking a few minutes every day to read.....I MISS you gals!  

I know we have some gimpies......hope you are all recovering.......September is right around the corner!   

Mostly I just wanted to give you all my love, and to let you know that I think of you all every day!  XO

Jackie

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited August 2014

Home at last!  Wish I had a Laundry Fairy.  Frog-choking rain here.  Hoping for a break, but not looking like it.

Movie - you have my true empathy.  My DH & I cared for my mother (kidney failure), his uncle (mild dementia and other issues) and my step-mother (alzheimers) for 10 years.  This stuff can try the patience of a saint and I am nowhere close.  I think our generation will view end of life issues differently after caring for our parents.  More like the previous generations who were more one-on-one with extended generations.  It is so hard, but i know you will get through it.  Please do not be afraid to hire caregivers to give you a break (more time than family can give you).  It helped us so much.

RHGSR - my Dad wanted me to be a golfer.  At 10, he got me 10 lessons with the pro at the Air Force Base.  I dutifully rode my bike with my little clubs to the range to practice.  I don't think it took.  He took me on the course - we did 3 holes in 3 hours and he gave up.  I didn't get back to it til about 18 years ago and had to take a 7 year break (many reasons).  I am not good, but love to get outdoors and have fun.  We got so confused on the 18 hole course yesterday, we missed 2 holes and gave up on scoring.  Just fun!  So glad your little one is really into the game.  It will come in very handy.

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited August 2014

frog choking rain???? That is TOO FUNNY!!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time away, marty.....I think you and hubby would be a good match with me and hubby for golf....no scores, lots of laughs, enjoying being outside.

teacher....hope you're still taking it easy, and letting things settle in.

movie...hugs...just constant hugs going out to you.

Hot and humid AGAIN here today. You southerners can reclaim this weather anytime you want it!!!!! I am absolutely glistening in sweat after my run/walks!!!!! (yucko) No hiking today....(sob).....!

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2014

I'm grateful a couple of frogs got choked here in North TX because we needed the 3 1/2" of rain we got. I am taking it easy. The most strenuous activity of the day was a shower and I needed a nap afterwards. My bruises have bruises but the nipples look good, standing up like little soldiers! I have several appointments this week with various docs so they will get to see in living color, maybe some lovely yellow or puce by then.

• RHGSR
    RHGSR Member Posts: 179
    edited August 2014

congrats on your soldiers Teacher!! 

How many of you went the recon nipple route? Are you pleased? Regrets? What about the tattoo only route?

I have 2 more surgeries. One in Sept. And then nipples in dec. Got dates scheduled and everything. 

• nihahi
    edited August 2014

Teacher......perhaps you get the "good patient" of the day award! Bruises are fascinating things....who knew we had so much "colour" in us, eh?

How are the other gals doing on the "disabled list"?????

RHG....I had a nipple recon....totally totally glad I did. Even though the only true blips on my whole flap journey came during the nip stage (skin reaction to stuff and a stitch abscess), it truly has turned out to be everything I hoped for re: reconstructed nipple. I am on the waiting list for tattoo (my PS office is doing it). I do have another more professional tattoo person researched (local to Calgary) in case the PS version isn't up to snuff. In reality though, outside of medical personnel, I can count on two fingers the number of people who will ever see the tattoo "up close and personal" so I'm not stressing about the "artistry" of the tattoo. I chose the nipple and tattoo route....because I didn't lose a tattoo....I lost a nipple. My whole reason for recon was to get back to as normal looking as possible, and for me, that meant not an illusion of a nip, but an actual physical resemblance. It's a personal choice for everyone....I'm just sharing my reasons for my choices.

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

I have lost a tattoo.  After my original BMX in the early "plasticine" era, they put in these funky disks that reminded me of a suction cup.  Then the PS did the tattoo thing.  6 weeks later - no tattoo.  My skin absorbed the ink.  They redid the tattoo.  Never looked natural and now they are very faint circles of whitish color.   My nip surgery is in 2 weeks.  Then my plan is to head to Vinnie, even though my PS will do the tats if I want her to.  At this point, after all these years, I want as natural as I can get when everything is really fake.

Nihahi - we can def golf together.  I just couldn't keep up with you on a hike.  WV was hard - going from sea level to 3,000 ft.  Can't imagine what it is like in your neck of the woods - though I very much want to see those woods!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited August 2014

Ready (new non-ankle rolling model).

Can't wait to see what you think about the Brava, Bosumblues. I talked to a woman a few years ago that was planning to do it. Like any thing recon related, it's a big deal. You'll find your way.

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

I do need some socks but they are all the way upstairs and I have the lazies. I worked until 7 tonight and I'm tuckered all out.

I'm well, Bosumblues....ankle is not as bad as I initially thought and improving every day. The bruising is coming up to the surface. Other than that doing really well. I finally have a weekend with NOTHING scheduled except catch up on life. It's good. Tonight DH and I are sitting here texting friends and catching up with one another and being LAZY.

Tomorrow I will snap into action but tonight I am doing a whole lot of NOTHING!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited August 2014

Good Morning 

I believe today is Bluebird's memorial service. I'm heading to a lake this weekend and will go into the 'peace of wild things who do not live with grief'. In the silence I will observe my own memorial.

I am thinking about Kristine, and her family today. As well as all you fabulous, brave, strong, funny, ladies whom I've come to adore. 

Janet

• nihahi
    edited August 2014

Yes, it is her "day". I'm also spending some "FBB" time today....in the quiet down by the river. Such a hard day for her husband and children.......and for us.

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

Me, too, Bluebird on my heart today. 

Love you all.

Bailey

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2014

I just burst into tears at Cost Plus when I saw pillows embroidered with peacocks and other birds....praying for her family today and loving you all.

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

Lake Michigan sunset......feeling sad.
  • sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited August 2014

With the over-the-top weekend activities for Aubrey's birthday party, I missed the fact that Saturday was FBB's day.  I'm sad I didn't have my moment to remember her then, but I'll go there this evening. 

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2014

There was a severe thunderstorm between 4 and 5 PM on Saturday here in our area. Thunder, lightening, and heavy rain cried the loss of FBB, a Pittsburgh native.

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2014

bailey - the sunset image was beautiful and calming

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

Thanks, Teacher, it is such a beautiful place. My DH and Things 1and 2 and I took a picnic dinner there yesterday. You can see it was pretty overcast and we didn't think we'd see much of a sunset, but then it broke through. We sat and played backgammon and laughed and talked ......it's one of our favorite places. We try to go 3 or 4 times every summer. We've been so busy yesterday was our first trip this year. Thing 1 leaves for college soon so we are cramming time together in. And it's hard to think of him being gone and then I think of FBB ......and it puts perspective on it. I'm fortunate to be here to miss him while he is gone to school. And then I just feel sad for her family. 

Aaaagghhhh ......I try to post lately and the words just get stuck in my throat. It's quiet here...does everyone feel that way? I imagine we do.

I think we are all on the raft these days, huddled together. 

• GwennyMD
    GwennyMD Member Posts: 68
    edited August 2014

I thought about FBB Saturday morning but got busy doing errands, etc. and did not take time to contemplate until late.I reread the obituary and then decided to scroll through the BCO site looking for new threads to read.  I found one that the FBB tried to start about Depak Choopa 21 day Meditation plan. It was probably announced on Oprah's Soul Sunday show. I was disheartened because no one responded. Yesterday while scrolling through tv channels I see Oprah interviewing Depak Choopa.  They probably ran at least 2 different hour long interviews. One of them was about meditation. At some point during the show there was a commercial about his new 21 day meditation program that will start in mid August.  I think FBB was trying to tell me to slow down. 

• nihahi
    edited August 2014

I don't think there is a wrong or right way to acknowledge things like FBB's memorial service.....or her memory. In fact, I think she would view "being busy with life" as a positive thing, but that's just my point of view. The last words my Dad ever said to me were "I love you.....keep going". 

Hiking tomorrow....hoping not to encounter any bear statues along the way. There room in the backpack......

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

I'm in Nihahi!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited August 2014

Nihahi, Bailey and I will keep you company and scare any bears away.

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

Jeannie the bear-scarer!

• nihahi
    edited August 2014

Hop in bailey and jeannie.....we're off to Elk Pass!

• Morningsun1
    Morningsun1 Member Posts: 238
    edited August 2014

Wait for me, wait for me, I will bring bear spray.

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited August 2014

I'm in.  I'll hike in the sweep position and gather up the bear poop along the trail.

• MartyJ
    edited August 2014

eeewwwwwww!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited August 2014

I'll sit back and enjoy at a safe distance.........Winking

(That's me........in the lower right of this picture.....as the Grizzly bear is following the REST of you further on down the Highline Trail...Ha!)Nerdy

• bailey6760
    edited August 2014

What are we doing with the bear poop?????