Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Support us when you check out at Walgreens Learn more here: Walgreens collaboration.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013

Yep, yep....love that one Nihahi.....how about Calypso by John Denver!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013

JUST ABOUT ANYTHING BY JOHN DENVER (except his country stuff....)!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Ok, but tell me how you really feel??? 

Sometimes when I can't sleep I can usually drift off if I try singing every John Denver song I know !!! (Definitely better than cancer radio!)

Annie's Song is my all-time favorite :)

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzPpOYYDR-k

one of my all time favorites of JD's later songs........

early favs are Leaving On a Jet Plane......then (of course) Rocky Mountain High and Rocky Mountain Suite

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2013

Me! Me! I'm a JD fan too! I started loving his stuff in college, Fort Collins, Colorado. When I was a flight nurse in Denver we once landed at Aspen airport next to his jet. Makes me sad...

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013

I'm glad we don't have to like exactly the same things...as DH said, J Denver filled up his senses one too many times....My DHmakes me laugh. I loved the words to the songs you posted though. Poets.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

ah, sbe....I am SO NOT surprised! His voice, and his songwriting just give me shivers still. I often wonder if he hadn't died in that crash, what songs he may have written for us, what he may have accomplished for the environment with his efforts.

Since we're sharing favs of old...another of mine is Jim Croce....again, magical voice, wonderful songwriter, died too soon.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

tsk tsk jeannie....tell hubby to go rake some leaves!!!! Who are some of your favs?

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Nihahi , I don't know...I really only detest Neil Diamond and Barry Manilow...I grew up in the SF Bay Area, the heart of rock and roll, antiwar marches, etc. I was more am observer than participant, though.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Yes, Jim Croce....you guys are cracking me up.....Jeannie, love JD, but that was kinda funny....how about some Fleetwood Mac? Nanci Griffeth? Elvis? 10,000 Maniacs?  Sammy Hagar? Billy Joel? Adele? Sinatra? Those are the CDS I can see from here lol.....we are an eclectic bunch in this house. 

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

I would say I am an eclectic listener. Except for rap, hip-hop and country.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Ahh.....Good memories....when the kids were little I would put on Elvis (loud) and we would dance and sing in the kitchen while making dinner....loved that little funny bounce they did when they were toddlers! I was so fortunate to be able to stay with them (worked part time for 13 years) most of the time. They are both Billy Joel fans!

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

I like the newer country, Like Shania Twain. The old twangy stuff isn't for me. I like Josh Groban and Hayley Westenra. And Irish music!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

jeannie....i was in university in the states in the late 60's, early 70's....crazy times... SDS on campus, Kent State, Vietnam.....got teargassed one day just trying to get to my dorm.....seems like a different lifetime now!

who the heck is nanci griffeth????

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Bailey, my kids are Billy Joel fans too. I can still hear them singing "It's Still Rock and Roll to Me."

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

ooohhhhh Tommy Makin and the Clancy Brothers....that's some good Celtic stuff for you!!!!

who the heck is hayley westenra????? How long have I been north of the border??????

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Lol....she's not real popular.....she's a folk singer, I guess, some country some bluegrass some folk...she's hard to describe....she's been around forever...www.nancigriffith.com. she is an amazing songwriter....More Than a Whisper, I Would Bring You Ireland, she's actually my fav, I think. If I only get music from one artist it would be her....or Adele.....do love Adele. Love Irish music, too, Katy!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

man......it's going to be a wild musical ride when we have our "get together"!!!!!

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

Finally home.......I am a huge JD fan.....AND a Jim Croce fan, AND a Fleetwood Mac fan......"Future Games" is my favorite FM album...1971-72. Love Cat Stevens, and, I DO know Hayley Westenra.....I have/had an album around here somewhere.....also love Jimmy Buffet.....love Don McLean.....the Eagles.....America....3Dog Night....Doobie Brothers....Elron John......Neil Diamond....love good country (and that includes Willie Nelson)......

Nihahi....talk was NEVER boring......we both missed you! Come to Seattle! Jeannie, we are really hoping you will come down I-5 to join the party......We should rent a hotel room for a night......or two ( my DH will be with Liefie's DH and their friends....) such fun! My fipples should be good to go by the end of January.....anyone else who wants to join us.....come on!

Sbe...are we still on for Thursday, Nov 21 dinner? You bring DH, I will bring DD#1 and her DH......meet some where between Studio City and??????. Can't wait! By the way......also can't wait to read your presentation.....I bet you brought the house down.....(with your keen sense of humor, AND the poignant reality of BC)

Bailey, sorry you had to work today.....I always hated having to take time on the weekends to get something ready....but such is life! Play that music real loud, and DROWN out the Cancer radio.....(((hugs)))

Love to ALL you fabulous flappers......I am pooped! :)

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2013

sbelzabeth - Wow. Such a great article and such a beautiful family. You really are a public face for the power of family, humour, spirit, and knowledge in the face of adversity. I love that Jerry spoke, and that he said he was your shield. That really struck me, and I'm sitting in the office trying to to cry. It is so clear how much your are loved, and how much you give back in return. Your are such an inspiration

I haven't read your blog post yet - and I think I'll wait till I have some privacy.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Elton John, Billy Joel, Melissa Ethridge, Neil Diamond, Bruce Springsteen (my favorite). I don't like twangy country, but I'll watch Keith Urban any day!!! I am basically an old fogey, but my DH likes rock and roll. He listens to everything and it drives me nuts.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Movie, I like your taste in music. My list would be almost the same, with the Eagles at the top of the list, but I would have to scratch Neil Diamond.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Hello girls! Just thought I'd pop in and say hello. Glad to hear everyone is doing well! Busy with my new puppy and going to rads every day. Loved the article sbelizabeth! Keeping up with everyone, just no energy to write much.

I'm also an Irish music fan, my daughter did Irish Step dancing for many years. Love the Coors. I'm more of a "modern" soft rock/new age type music person. Love David Gray, Jack Johnson, type music as well as oldies like James Taylor and Sting.

Here's some pics of my new puppy! He's a Shiba Inu, a Japanese dog. He came with the name Jackson, (Jax) but I've started calling him Kitsu (kitsune is Fox in Japanese)

imageMio, my Snowshoe Siamese meets the enemy!

image My family

• RobinY
    RobinY Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2013

Hope there is room for another post flap gal. ;) I posted just a bit ago on the other thread that while I'm done with diep, my ps is doing a lat flap on my right side Dec. 4. Not nervous about it really. Staying at a different hosp ( woohoo) for 23 hours and then home. Since I'm recovered from all the diep drama, and have even lost another thirty pounds (yay). I feel great. Hope you gals are all doing great too. I apologize for disappearing on you all after July.... Heres a toast to moving on!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Bluebird, so good to hear from you! I admire your bravery in moving ahead with surgery once again. Your PS sounds great. Your foxy fox is adorable and your family, too.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

oh, Bluebird, I am so sorry! I got Robyn's surgery mixed up with your post! Please forgive me.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

Robin!!!!

Absolutely NO apologies needed girl...it is just WONDERFUL to hear from you!!! Here's to MOVING ON....congrats on the weight loss too!!!

There really IS life beyond a flap!!!

Ladies....I never knew sitting for 15 hours, saying the same thing over and over and over would be so exhausting!!! I am more exhausted today, than after a hike with Movie!!!! The election work was fun, tiring and interesting, all rolled up in one. I'm sure I'll do it again in the future...there is always an election in the future, right!!! Time to get off my butt and get busy....have wonderful days!!!!!!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

And Bluebird today, too!!! Yay! So happy! I can't see puppy pics for some reason :( but YAY for puppy!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Bluebird - such a cutie! Looks mellow.

Robin - glad you checked in with us. Delighted that you are moving forward.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

Bluebird! It is lovely to hear from you........and your pup IS adorable! (So is your cat.....Liefie will love it!) To hear from both you AND ROBINY on the same day is so wonderful! I hope you BOTH stay on here! We love hearing from you, even if its just time to time!

Nihahi, I cannot imagine that ANY hike I would take YOU on would tire you out in the LEAST! MS. Energizer Bunny.......!!!!! However, I would dearly love to put that accusation to the test.......next summer? :)

FYI....I saw Liefie's Mother of the Groom dress......and It. Is. STUNNING! She is going to knock them dead in that dress! It's beautiful, just like she is! I seriously think she'll look like a Movie Star walking the red carpet.......I hope she posts a pic of her in it.....I dont think I have EVER looked like I belonged in a dress the way she will in that!

I hope all are having good days!

Love you all!