Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013

Katy, your presentation was so good. You definitely have a way with words. It truly is our faith in God that helps us make it through. You have done a great job representing us, your BC sisters to your audience. It has meaning when an experience like BC can enable us to help someone else. You did a magnificent job!

• jlbloom
    edited October 2013

Katy, your presentation was so good. You definitely have a way with words. It truly is our faith in God that helps us make it through. You have done a great job representing us, your BC sisters to your audience. It has meaning when an experience like BC can enable us to help someone else. You did a magnificent job!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2013

Sbelizabeth - Your speech is so beautiful. I wrote on the 'DIEP' thread but it bears repeating; there is nothing 'ordinary' about you. Not only does your career sound amazing, but also your spirit, your family, your writing, your values and your attitude.

I also think its so valuable that you shared your lows, and the intimacy of your experience. There is more breadth to this 'rodeo' than anyone can imagine it, and you shared it so wonderfully with your pictures and words.

The look on Jerry's face is heartbreaking. There's so much love in the photos. It made me think, again, how much our families also go through and I went to find Jim (my partner) to tell him how grateful I am. Until I saw your photos, I'd forgotten about all the bedside vigils and quiet support and incredible vulnerability, and those are experiences I always want to remember.

I have no doubt that you speech made a difference to a lot of people. Thanks for sharing.

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013

Janet, you are a talented writer, too!

Sbel, I'm so happy to hear your wound is completely closed up! What an ordeal you went through. My DH, Tom, has been an absolute rock for me through this, but a silly rock at times. His sense of humor has kept me going, along with his strength, his optimism, his tenderness....

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013

I'm here....reading but not posting! Very busy with work, senior in high school with a busy year and college next year, dad's pending surgery in Germany (which is their first trip overseas) , etc. Just lots going on. Love to you all!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2013

Jeannie - Thank you!

Are we going to be able to read your interview? I'd really like to. My guess is that nobody is going to look at you with pity at all. I predict they will say 'that's a really funny feisty gal that I'd like to get to know'. At least that's how I feel when I read about you.

I'm glad you have your Tom. The photo of Katy and her husband really touched me this morning, I've been thinking a lot about the people that support us, and all our Tom and Jerry's. I have a Jim, and he's been wonderful too.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

Janet, I second what Jeannie said....you ARE a very good writer! (and I really enjoy reading your blog) :) by the way, Jeannie is just as you described her......I instantly liked her when I met her (okay, I actually liked her before......you know what I mean!)

Bailey, your cup runneth over......... Busy time for you! I am sending you a (((hug))) in case you can use it! :)

Jeannie has her Tom, Sbe has her Jerry, Janet has her Jim, I have my Dave........I thank God every day for him......could not have done it without his quiet love, strength, and support.....

Love to all......

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Yay for the boys of bc.....I have a Joe.....his good humor makes life bearable.....if one has to sit in a chemo bay it should be with someone who makes you laugh until you cry.

Thanks for the hug Movie! I always take 'em....whether I need them or not!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Janet and Movie. Movie, I felt the exact same way. I only wish we could have spent more time together. The article is a little scary because this young 27 year old reporter is writing about my friend's and my cancer experience and the fly fishing trip in only a short amount of words. She is also the editor of the paper and the paper is really well-done so I just have to trust her to get it right. It wasn't fun going back over every detail---I had completely forgotten about the 17 injections in my boobs pre-surgery until my friend brought up biopsies---but I am confident this young lady, at least, learned a lot about what having breast cancer is really like. I doubt the paper is online so I'll see what I can do about sharing the article with you. It should come out next week.

Happy weekend!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Bailey, we do miss you! I'm glad you are busy with LIFE! That's what all of us want after what we've been through. Why is your dad getting surgery in Germany?

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, that sounds awesome! I hope you'll let us read it when it's finished!

Bailey, good luck to your Dad!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, thanks for asking about my dad. He is having a surgery that he cannot get here in the States. They have not told many people and I don't want to let the cat out of the bag on this public forum. As soon as I can tell you guys about it I will. It's pretty damn cool! 

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

bailey, I hope your day's surgery is a great success!

• jlbloom
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, I am anxious to hear your interview. It sounds like a really good way to let others know what this journey is about from the inside.

Bailey, how great that your dad can get that kind of surgery. Glad that life is being good for you.

We have Tom and Jerry and Jim, Joe, and Dave. I want to add Bob to the list of DHs. We are so blessed to have someone to share this with us.

Bluebird, so glad to hear from you. Kitsu is adorable.

RobinY, it is great to have you back with us again.

Hope everyone is enjoying a great weekend. Love to you all. ...Julie

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Sbel, I wish I could have been there to hear you deliver your speech. It had me laughing at times and tearful at times, and reminded me of many moments in my own journey. Thanks for sharing and expressing the BC journey so well for others to learn from.

Bailey, hope your dad's surgery goes well. Looking forward to learn about this "cool" surgery...when it is time.

Jeannie, looking forward to reading about your interview.

Oh, and I have a Jim also. He is wonderful and funny and has continued to make me feel beautiful, and I believe humor can get us through many things. He even loves my new short "do" (12 weeks of fuzz). When he learned of Angelina Jolie's bmx, he announced "You are my Angelina Jolie", and I replied " And you are my Brad Putz". (it's now his favorite line).

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

haven't had much time to post as I am in Virginia. Katy- How can I see or hear about your speech?? Jeannie- way to go girl. That would be so hard for me. Bailey- what kind of surgery is your dad having?

movie- my grand daughters name is ELLY MAE

I have a Tony!! He has been there for me since the beginning.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Cherrie I shouldn't have mentioned me dad's surgery until it was closer and he has told more people.....So I can't talk about it but will asap! Sorry! I just feel like this is too public a forum.....not that I don't trust y'all....it's who I can't see reading that concerns me a bit. Anyway, he is fine right now....the surgery isn't to save his life but has the potential to change his life in an amazing way. 

Katy' s blog is at www.pinkribbonandwheels.wordpress.com Her speech is there.

Elly Mae is an adorable name,!!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

Thanks for the link to Katy's speech. It brought back a lot of memories. I did not have chemo or lose my hair, but I certainly had the same fears, doubts, and triumphs. It has been a long process. I was just feeling sorry for myself because of full time compression. I will just have to buck up and get over it like I have in the past.

Thanks Katy! It was just what I needed today.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Ach, Cherrie! I have only been in this 24 hour compression since the 16th and I hate it as much as I thought I would. The first garment stunk to high heaven with all the draining. This one is giving me a rash at the top. I have been wearing yoga pants, no undies, but today I put panties over the garment, pulled on some jeans and lace up boots before church. Well, before we left for church this morning, I peed right through my panties because I forgot I was wearing them ! I had to take everything off---except the c. garment---and start over. My incisions are itchy. I don't even know what I look like under this thing. But it's doing its job, I guess. As for the newspaper article, I wasn't really given the opportunity to think about doing it! I was just pulled along into it by my friend....I had some concerns and made them known. I'll have to wait and see how it turns out. If it is beneficial to someone it will be 100% worth it.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Jeannie,

I am sorry, but lmaoooooooooo! The story about forgetting you had the panties on and peeing right through them!! Really, I was laughing till I cried. Oh course you couldn't feel them over that compression garment. You brain was still stuck on "no panties," and I would probably have done the same thing. I am sorry, really I am, but to me that was one of the funniest stories yet. At least you didn't do it at church!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Jeannie - I doubt that there are any women who have worn the crotchless compression that haven't peed their panties. Just goes to show how mindless an activity it is. Someone suggested getting a really bright color to help remember you are wearing them, but I don't look down. Just tug and go. At least you have changed into a clean garment.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

Jeannie , I love you, girl! You are my kind of woman.......one who will admit to peeing her underpanties because she forgot they were on! I am SO dreading the compression........am trying really really hard to lose the weight so I won't need it......but I KNOW it's futile.....ugh! :(

I have had a busy weekend.....watching my two favorite college teams get wins, and then my Portland Timbers finished at the top of the Western MLS division.....first time ever.....for a soccer fanatic...it's pretty special.....I topped it all off with church this morning (sorry I have no pee stories to share!)

I hope everyone has had a relaxing, enjoyable , lovely weekend,

Love to all!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2013

Cherrie, thanks for reading. We all have our own speedbumps in this killing-the-cancer process, but the anxiety about the future, the "what's going to happen to me," and the fear of cancer and all it implies, is probably pretty common. The reconstruction process and the blessing of you all here has been very healing for me. I'm with women who get it, have been there, and can coach and encourage me. And even though all these surgeries and recoveries and compression and stuff are uncomfortable and inconvenient, it's all for the purpose of putting me back together, not cutting more of me away! It's so affirming that I'll be here to enjoy my noobs and flat tummy!

Jeannie, I'm laughing my socks off here. I remember Marty posting several times about being careful about this exact thing, but getting all gussied up for church and then needing a diaper change is something Aubrey does almost every week. Would a little benadryl help with the incisions itching? Or even better, some bags of frozen peas. Whenever my incisions are driving me nuts with itching, cooling them down helps a lot.

Bailey, hope your dad is recovering and comfortable.

Happy Sunday, everyone! Katy

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Goldie, believe me, I was afraid I WOULD do it again at church so didn't go there!

• Cherrie
    edited October 2013

I always go pantiless now because I peed my panties too!!!!!!!!!! Jeannie, I went 3 mo. 24/7 compression last Spring and now 6 months. I get the why of the compression, but sometimes my body screams for a break. I did not have to shower in mine. I prefer my stage 1 zipper up garments.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Compression garments are for after Lipo? Ugh. Not looking forward to that. I already have clothing issues and can only wear loose soft comfy things!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Wow, Cherrie, it's wild how PS's can differ in compression requirements. I only have to wear it 24/7 for 2 weeks. It's the zippered kind. Then I can wear spanks during the day for two weeks then just when I'm active for two weeks. What happens if one doesn't wear it? Do you get lumpy??

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Bluebird, I'm with you! Except I do love my comfy jeans.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Speaking of comfy clothes, have any of you tried Not Your Daughter's Jeans yet? They are expensive, and I only buy them when I find them at Steinmart (a discount clothing store) at about half price, but oh my goodness, they are so comfortable, and they fit so well. Very flattering. I even have them in capri, and tight straight leg for boots.

Cherrie, I have never heard of compression for that long. What was your surgeons reason for that? I couldn't do that in Texas. I would have to move to Minnesota for lipo.

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, that story was sooo funny! I cannot imagine wearing compression - fortunately my PS never required it. All of you in compression have my sympathy, because I simply can't stand anything that is fitting too tightly. When I feel the first hot flush coming on, I will panic, grab the scissors, and cut that compression garment off me . . . LOL.

Had a very enjoyable time yesterday at a BCO potluck in Vancouver. We were 12 women from these threads who came together, shared our stories, laughed, visited, and had such fun together. There was also lot of show and tell, and one woman has an incredible 3D nipple tattoo. I just had to touch it to the amusement of the others, because I could not believe it was a tattoo. One lady brought a lovely decorated cake that she had professionally made for the occasion. It was really so special to meet them. We have so much in common, and they all 'get it'. There are photos on the 'Canadians in British Columbia' thread.