Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

Bluebird, so good to hear from you! Your dog is too cute, and yes, Movie is right. I'm a goner for a Siamese cat, and yours is adorable!

Robin, I spoke to you on the other thread, but want to congratulate you on that 30 lb weight loss - that's really impressive!

Movie, thanks for the kind words re: dress. Movie star????? You're too generous - no way, but will defo have to practise walking in it since I haven't wore a long dress in probably the last 25 years. Add in the heels . . . recipe for disaster, oh my goodness. Don't want to fall flat on my face on that 'red carpet' - LOL. For somebody who spends 90% of the time in workout clothes and runners it is quite daunting, really.

Bailey, I've been wanting to tell you this for a long time. As an ex-South African I just love that wise saying by Nelson Mandela - what a man!

Nihahi, I think it is just hilarious that you are so exhausted from sitting still - hahahaaaa!!! How's the voice today?

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2013

Liefie, didn't you get the memo that mothers of the groom are supposed to shut up and wear beige?  Hahahaha....

Robin, good to hear from you, California girl!  I'm so thrilled you're moving forward.  You can go home just a day after a lat flap?  I'm cheering for you, and you made my day by posting.  I've been thinking about you recently and hoping you'd had some time to heal from your wretched experience last summer.

Bluebird, your little woofer looks just like a fox, and an adorable one.  Enjoy the puppy days.

Here are the high heels I wore to Tyson's med school graduation.  I thought I'd break my neck, but worth it.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

sbe, those are the best U of M shoes ever! Go Blue!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

OMG, Katy, I wouldn't be able to take a step in those things. But they are grand!

• liefie
    edited October 2013

Sbel, just for some background info, my future DIL majored in drama. She sat me down, and her words were, 'My wedding has to look like the Oscars' - so that's where the beige flew out the window. But I will defo shut up, and do as I'm told! So happy though, because beige really clashes with grey hair - LOL! Fortunately my heels are not nearly as high as the ones you wore to that ceremony - phew!

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Liefie, I didn't know you were an ex South African! Glad you like it.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

Holy Carp, Sbe! How can you stand (to stand) in those???? I am getting dizzy just looking at them....do you need oxygen when wearing them? :) all kidding aside, they ARE fabulous, just don't make ME wear them! Promise me you will wear something outrageous on your tootsies when we meet for dinner.....I PROMISE I will be genuinely impressed! I am like Marty.....I couldn't take a step in them!

Liefie....you will definitely fit in her vision of the perfect wedding..... you have exquisite taste!

Love you ladies!

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013

holy carp sbe.....those shoes are amazing!!!! I'd measure about 10'8" if I put them on......right before I fell off them and landed on my ass!!!!!!!!

Can't play for long tonight ladies.....stuff to catch up on.

Have wonderful nights.

ps. sbe....I asked benny about the sleep booklet too, when we had coffee together today.

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Awesome shoes, Sbel! (I got my pictures back finally!). Other than the colors, of course...green and white would be prettier ;)

I wish I had worn high heels more when I still could where them....now I have Femara feet and I can't stand them (pun intended). I wear them once in a while but have to have my orthopedics nearby! 

• Tracy516
    Tracy516 Member Posts: 13
    edited October 2013

wow those heels!!! I sprain my ankles in sneakers so no big heels for me!

Hello ladies! Been quite this week. Lots going on. My 14 daughter went to New York City with her history club. WITH out me! I a SMOTHER and this was hard!!!

Lol

Feel good. Got my period after 3 months from surgery. Thought maybe I wSnt gonna get but I'm only 41 so I guess I got some years?

Hope everyone one is well!!

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Whoa! I would fall on my #*€¥ too! I would try if they were green and white.

So nice to hear from Robyn and Bluebird!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

Hey Cherrie!!! Are you back from your visit to your daughter's place????

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

no, I am still in Virginia. I love spending time with my grand baby. Just found out this week that we are having a grandson in March. We all went to the ultrasound. Thanks for asking.

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Cherrie, how wonderful that you were there to be part of the ultrasound. How exciting! Enjoy your grand baby.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

Wonderful things sometimes, those ultrasounds, eh!!!! May all of our forever more give us "happy news"!!!

I won't be posting for a few days....going out of town with hubby until Sunday night. Have wonderful days, ladies!!!!!

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Good morning!  It's taken a few days, but for those who are interested, I posted in my blog the narrative of my presentation to the Breast Cancer Seminar on October 19. 

Just a disclaimer...it describes our journey through cancer-land very specifically.  If reading my story would resurrect too many painful memories for you, please feel free to skip it.

Love you, sisters--Katy

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Daaaahhhhh...My dear Katy.....I have no words. Exceptional. 

Now somebody call me the wahhhhhmbulance. Sniff sniff sniff. Snort. Sniff.

You are just the best, sista

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013

Dear Katy, I just finished reading your story. Our cancer stories are similar, with the lumpectomy first, cancerous nodes, radiation burns, chemo after rads, husbands, faith....the tears are flowing. I so appreciate your honesty and humor! I am glad the people in that room heard your words and will have them as a point of reference when they or someone they love face their own battle. I have thought of myself as a warrior, too, even have a tank top (muscle shirt?) with "Warrior" on it. I have a ring that says on the outside "love life" and on the inside "be brave," that a young friend who was dying of cancer wore also. We grab onto words that help us but especially on God's strong arms that support us. Job well-done!

• liefie
    edited October 2013

Katy, I just read your presentation, and just love the hope and the faith that you portray there. Since bc came into my life, I also live life with a much heightened awareness that I have to make the most of every hour and every day, because we just do not know what the future holds. In that way it has been such a blessing, and a huge wake-up call.

Cherrie, enjoy your visit in Virginia.

Nihahi, the trails in Fernie won't know what hit them, but have a lovely time away with DH.

On Saturday I'm going to a potluck lunch in Vancouver where I will meet about 10 more ladies from these boards. So looking forward to that!

• Moviemaniac
    edited October 2013

Katy.....what a beautiful, beautiful presentation! Your strong faith and love for your family and friends just shines through! You are being an amazing example to some unknown person(s) who are struggling with cancer, or some awful illness, even if you are not aware of it. I can hardly wait to meet you in person! You are much more a celebrity to me, than Angie could ever be!

Christina, I love your approach to living your life re:weight loss.......very healthy thinking. Keep it up!

Nihahi....enjoy, enjoy, enjoy your time away! We will miss you and your wisdom, but everyone needs a break! :)

Jeannie....how are you feeling? I don't recall you posting yesterday.....funny how that upsets me!

Bailey....see my post to Jeannie above.........^^^^^^^^^^ :D

Cherrie, so glad you are getting time with your family! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Liefie......you cannot disappear from the threads into the black hole of South Africa......I told Johan that you MUST post occasionally, so we know that you are safe.....(you know I know what I'm talking about!) Besides......we want a picture of you in your beautiful dress! (Much more glamorous that Angie!)

Well girls......must actually try to get something done today....a new concept (post BC) for me!

Love you all!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Katy, thank you for sharing your presentation with us. If your speech flowed as beautifully as your written word I know it was a great success. Angie couldn't have done better. You will live to be 90 years old, and you will never meet your husband in heaven with another woman on his arm. I promise you that!

• liefie
    edited October 2013

Movie, I will try to post from S.A., but it is difficult with the time difference, Internet is slow, and we will be travelling around a lot to show our Canadian friends a small part of the country. Don't worry about us. We've lived there, know where to go, what to avoid, and how to be safe. Today in exactly one month we are leaving. I want to stop the time, because soon it will all be over . . .

Jeannie, Bailey, the others, where are you? Nihahi will be upset if we let this thread die in her absence - LOL! By now she has probably already walked every trail in Fernie. Enjoy the mountains, you!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

hey, Liefie! I posted yesterday morning! I am just hanging around in my strait-jacket of compression, healing. I did go out with DH, my fishing bc buddy and a local reporter to our fly fishing celebratory dinner in Seattle. A great meal and fun conversations. We were at a table with 2geneticists who support the program. It was exciting to hear about the direction cancer research is going. About the reporter-editor of our local paper who accompanied us.....shades of Sbel, my friend and I are going to be featured in the paper for bc awareness month. I wasn't really asked, it just sort of happened. I am not thrilled about everyone in our small town knowing I've had bc. I've been very open about it to a lot of people and am very happy to answer anybody's questions. I just don't want pity stares or avoidance. We are being interviewed today and I will do my best to make it honest and educational. I need you in my pockets, whispering to me words I should share!

• Moviemaniac
    edited October 2013

Jeannie.....you can do this.......just imagine that you may be the difference for some woman who is just starting the process! XO

Liefie, I know it will be hard....but just a word...."hey....I am having a great time!" is enough......as a native, I know you know the ins and outs of SA......just promise that you'll try to post at least a couple times..... :) We will miss your sweet presence and your wisdom!

Re Nihahi: I believe you are right....all the trails in Fernie are probably walked by now! Nihahi is such a bundle of energy....I know, I had to keep up with her in Glacier!

Booked my SoCal ticket (one way) and will be meeting up with Sbe on Nov. 21st.....dinner with her DH, and my DD#1 and SIL......should be fun.....(I hope she wears some of her stilleto heels!!!!) DD and I will be leaving Saturday morning to drive back upto Oregon with her doggie......(Ellie Mae) I get to go to Bunco with a bunch of 30-somethings...should be an interesting evening.... :)

I have to get moving...have a busy (Oregon football game at Autzen Stadium) weekend!

Love you all!

• liefie
    edited October 2013

Okay, Movie, I will check in when I can, I promise. Enjoy the football!

Jeannie, just be your own sweet self as we know you here, but I know you will be. There is an unmistaken 'genuineness' (Is there such a word?) about you. Pity stares or avoidance? After they read your article in the paper, it will be mostly stares of sheer admiration and respect for what you have endured, and for your courage. It is so good that people get enlightened about bc, and that all the hard facts are put on the table. The more awareness, the better. I was totally clueless until this freight train hit me out of the blue just before Christmas 2011. Maybe you inspire a few more women to go for mammograms, which will be wonderful. You will do great!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Liefie, and anyone else, what were you surprised to learn about bc? I didn't know there were so many kinds of treatment depending on the characteristics of the cancer.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

thanks, Movie and Liefie!

• liefie
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, what I was most surprised about was the fact that a family history of bc is a factor in only10 - 15% of women who get it. I never ever even entertained the possibility of getting bc, because I have no family history on either side of any ca. It came as a total shock and surprise to me and to many other woman on these boards who thought they were safe because they had no fam. history. The family history is so overly hyped up in the media, and it gives women a false sense of security. Any woman at any age can get bc, and that is the message that should be out there. The biggest risk factor is that as women we have breasts, and once you reach 50, your chance of getting it increases every year. So mammos and other tests to detect it early is so very important. My two cents!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Liefie, thanks. I just finished the interview so I didn't see your response until now. I will have another opportunity to talk to the writer so I will add that very impt. info then.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, Bailey, Liefie, Movie, Goldie... thanks for your kind words and feedback about the presentation. It was more fun than I thought it would be but harder to prepare, because I re-lived the past two years--but left me feeling blessed and filled with hope!

Jeannie, what a great way to finish up your fly-fishing extravaganza. I know you were graceful and articulate during your interview. What surprised me about breast cancer? That I got it. I shouldn't have been--my mom had it twice, and I have lots of other cancers in my family, but I just never thought it would happen too me.

I'm babysitting tonight!