Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Dr. Massey says the longer you wear it the better the outcome. I am not a medical person at all, but it has to do with tunneling. Marty has a better grasp than I do on this and faithfully wears her compression. I have read a lot of research that says after 4 weeks it doesn't make much difference. I am trying to follow doctor's orders, but will have a tough time making 6 months as requested. It has been almost 6 weeks of full time so far. We'll see!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Goldie - if your doc wanted you in compression in TX, you could do it. I am doing it on the Carolina coast and believe me it is H O T ! I have had a hot flash, but it was no different than without compression - didn't make me run for the scissors.

The extended compression also has to do with lymphedema prevention/precautions - through the abdominal area. I just google around for info on compression, but as Nihahi reminds us - her burn patients wore compression for healing. I have been wearing compression for 12 weeks now - after 6 of 24/7, I had mentally to take it off at night (which I do some nights and not on others). This weekend I didn't wear it at all for 4 days. Now I have it back on as it feels better supporting the lipo areas. The flank area bothered me without compression for about 5 months - not severe, just friendly reminders. The inner thigh from 12 weeks ago definitely lets me know it misses the support - achy. Next surgery is in 5 weeks. Thankfully it will be the last. Compression free in June 2014!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2013

I love the Not Your Daughter's Jeans brand! But there's no way I'll pay $100 for a pair of jeans, so I hunt around online until I find what I want for less than half. Amazon and Macy's will have online sales. You have to know what size and style fits best, but with that knowledge in hand...hello, credit card.

Happy Monday, everyone!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Marty, and Cherrie

Thanks for the info on the compression. I wonder if my doc just takes the little he actually needs for fat grafting if he still would want compression. Sharon1942 uses the same surgeon as me, and she just had her stage 2. If she wore compression it was for a short period of time. I have to ask her again.

I agree SBE, the jeans are too expensive, and I have never bought them full price. I am assuming they don't have Steinmart in CA. It's a store that sells good brands are big discounts. Very popular here. In NY we had Loehmans, in Boston they have Filine's Basement, I bet CA has an equivalent. It's just a matter of being close to one. I have gone to Macy's to try them on, get a style number and size, and like you, searched on-line.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Brrr...it might rain today, here in So Cal!  Just in case I wore a sweater and jeans, with thick wool socks and my Dansko clogs.  I'll keep a sharp eye out for penguins...gonna be chilly...

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013

It was 36° on my way to work this morning....saw a flock of penguins on the side of  road.

And a polar bear.....drinking a Coke.....weird....

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013

I'm baaaaaaackkk!!!!

Hi there flappers, missed you all, but it was a wonderful "getaway".....so much so that hubby's first words when we got home were "so.....where to next time!" I have read through all the posts I missed....but then seemed to have promptly forgotten the details of everyone's past few days....so will just "move on from here".

We had an easy, sunny, warm drive down, foggy mornings that cleared to brilliant sunshine in the late morning and the drive from h.e.l.l. coming home, due to the first storm of winter. Good thing I had my snow tires put on before we left, as I only found myself on the wrong side of the road once...!!!!!! Anyhoo....we drove past Frank Slide, which is where a mountain came down in the early 1900's completely burying a town, and both sides of the valley. Lots of beautiful golden larch trees, some lovely (short, because hubby was with me, so only 7 and 8km) hikes, lots of hot tub time and general R & R. The guy is my Den....my supportive/bc/flap nurse hubby! The photos of the mtn bike ramps are for sbe....we passed a bunch of these things on part of one trail...insane...in the middle of old growth cedar.....these people are crazy!!! Thought I'd throw in a couple photos of looking out my windows this morning, just to remind sbe and bailey how good they have it. However.....skiing starts soon.....whooohoooo!

Love to you all.....Have great days!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013

Now that is BRRR! Welcome home, Nihahi. You were missed.

• Moviemaniac
    Moviemaniac Member Posts: 242
    edited October 2013

just popped in to see if Nihahi made it back.....yay! Love the pics! Where to next time????? Seattle, of course! End of January.....Bring Dennis along...he can commiserate with the other Flusbands....(flapper husbands). :D

Bailey....you lucky girl! Seeing a polar bear drinking a Coke........how come I'm not that lucky?????

We must have your sunny weather up here in Oregon, Sbe........and you must have our chilly rain.....too bad (for you!). :)

Love to all....will check in later....have to make a Costco run....... :\

Jackie

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

Nihahi, I can't believe those mountain bike trails. How do you convince yourself to go down there the first time?

Movie, flusbands . . . what an appropriate name for our long-suffering husbands - LOL. Totally agree with your advice to Nihahi re: Seattle in January.

I'm having a routine mammogram next Monday. Not looking forward. There's nothing 'routine' about mammo's any more.

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Nihahi awesome photos! You are so lucky to be in such gorgeous country!   My physical therapist said no more hot tubs for me. I guess it's a lymphadema risk. I don't know if I can follow that one forever. I love hot tubs!

liefiee good luck!  We will all be with you. I know it will be a little crowded in there. ;-)

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Bluebird, yes, no hot tubs for me. :(( I even have one! But I also have LE.

Liefie, we will be with you in there. Nothing about our health seems routine anymore.

• Cherrie
    Cherrie Member Posts: 921
    edited October 2013

Beautiful pics Nihahi!

• Zenful
    Zenful Member Posts: 394
    edited October 2013

Love the pictures, Nihahi!

Flusbands!...too funny, Movie. This group comes up with the most creative terms.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

ladies....so sorry about the hot tub mention....shows how far "out" my mind is from the mx precaution/awareness. I hope I didn't offend anyone....truly not my intent!!!!!!. 20+ years ago....it was never brought to my attention, what to do, what to avoid, I doubt if they even knew themselves. Didn't even have such a thing as a "breast surgeon".....the surgeon who did my mx, was a just a general surgeon. The nurse who booked the initial appointment with him, thought she was being supportive by telling me what he great job he had just done on her hubsbands gallbladder.....I failed to find that "comforting"....... I truly just lucked out.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Nihahi, no! I enjoyed hearing about your adventure, including the hot tub. It brought back many happy memories for me which is a good thing. And now our friends also know that "they" think hot tubs---or hot baths, for that matter---can make LE symptoms worse.

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Nihahi - did we have the same surgeons? Great pix! Oh, the emoticon is backNerdy

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

marty....you have no idea how often I silently "thank you" for being here.....another veteran from the "dark ages of bc"!

woohoo emotions!!!!!!!!!

NerdyHappySmileSingingWinkingLoopy

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Nihahi, no worries! I enjoyed the pics and also thinking about hot tubs! I actually bought a hot tub while going through chemo. It was a godsend and good therapy! That's why I'm not sure I can give it up! Maybe if I sit with half me in the tub and the other half in ice cubes and it will all even out. lol.. Just kidding

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Nihahi - awesome pictures, thank you for sharing! SillyHeart

Really glad the hot tub came up....the "they" I see for LE didn't tell me that one!

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

SBE, this is funny. First we love the same jeans, and now I see you wear Dansko clogs too. I love mine. Got my first pair last winter.

• Moviemaniac
    edited October 2013

I have nothing to add.......except I will be there with you in spirit, Liefie.....holding your hand, sister....XO

Add me to the Dansko list.....have been wearing them for years.....they are great up here in the rain! Help keep my feet warm and dry.....

And.....glad the emoticons are back......but I can't use them on the IPad..... :\

XO

• Moviemaniac
    edited October 2013

I have two pair of NYDJ jeans.....love them! Only get them on sale......too much $$$$$$$$

• goldie4040
    edited October 2013

Agreed Movie. I never pay full price. But, patience and keeping a watchful eye out I have a nice little collection of them now. Regular blue denim, black, white capri's, and just last week an awesome pair of very dark grey straight legs with some very discreet sparkles on the back pockets for $49.99. Yes!!!!

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Liefie - in your pocket! Prayers.

• jlbloom
    jlbloom Member Posts: 126
    edited October 2013

Nihahi, the pictures are beautiful. However I am not at all envious of snow in October.

Bailey, no one told me no hot tub either until I picked up my sleeve. Then she said that arm shouldn't be in a hot tub. Can we really not just keep it higher and dryer? Where did the spell checker go?

Jeannie, you did make me laugh. You are the first one during my time in BC.org that has admitted to that. I can certainly see it happening.

Hope everyone is enjoying a good Tuesday. ...Julie

• Cuetang
    Cuetang Member Posts: 173
    edited October 2013

Hey ladies! Checking back in after a loooong time. While I can't seem to keep up, you gals are so fun, that I need to pop in once in a while! Happy In regards to the compression, full admiration to you all wearing it. My PS is so lenient on it, after my Stage 2 fat grafting, I developed a rash from the compression so I ditched it after the first 2 weeks and he didn't seem to care if I had it on or not.

Bluebird--I work with a local shiba inu rescue and I foster for them. I currently have two of them. Love love love them shiba inus. Too bad my hubby is allergic to them or I would've kept one of them already by now!

Sbelizabeth-- you have quite a great way with words. Thank you so much for sharing your story and telling it exactly how it is.

Liefie--we're with you for that mammogram!

nihahi--- *bow* to you on the hiking and the awesome pictures. The hubby and I went to West Virginia for a weekend getaway for hiking and let's just say I'm soooo out of shape. I was whining almost the entire way uphill on both our hikes. The kids and the older couples were flying by us lol.

Cherrie-- hope you're having fun in Virginia and congrats on the upcoming grandbaby!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

About the hot tub, it is something I really enjoy. I've learned on the LE threads here that after SNB hot tubs can cause lymphedema - no dr/nurse ever told me this. So I have been avoiding them, but don't know for how much longer though . . . maybe if I sit with my upper half above the water it will be okay? So confusing, really.

I'm going to look into those NYDJ jeans, and see if I can get some on Amazon or another site. Thanks for the tip, ladies!

Having a very peaceful week seeing that my trainer is celebrating Halloween in Vegas - lol. Beautiful sunny day here, so will walk.

Thanks for all your support re: mammogram on Monday. Appreciate it so much!

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

OK, I had never heard of these NYDJ....??? After googling them, they sound like compression jeans??? goldie....I'm very confused.....if you're too thin for Diep...why would you need jeans that hold you in??? Might have to try to find somewhere around here to try a pair on and see what all the fuss is about. I must be missing something! Loopy.

sbe....still sitting in traffic on the freeway???? What is Aubrey's costume for Halloween????? She'd make a cute little pumpkin!!

cherrie....are you taking you granddaughter trick or treating???? What is she being dressed up as???

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Nihahi, welcome home!  Great pictures!  I'm so jealous of both the time you have to hike, and the beautiful environment in which you get to do it. 

Aubrey's costume for Halloween is a lobster.  Aubrey the lobster will sit in a big pot that my son, dressed as a chef, will carry around.  I can't wait to see this--photos will be posted!

We had to put on jackets for the bike ride yesterday.  It's getting chillier here.  And when we turn the clocks back, it'll be dark when it's time to ride, so out come headlights for the bikes.  I won't ride road when it's dark--too dangerous, in my opinion--but riding wide trails at night is pretty fun.  We scare the owls.

Thanks, Cuetang.  It was a good thing for me, combing through these last couple of years of this breast cancer rodeo, and remembering not only how wretched it was, but how blessed we have been. 

Liefie, I hope your mammo gown has big pockets, we'll all be in there!