Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Moving On......After the Flap

Comments

• nihahi
    nihahi Member Posts: 1,068
    edited October 2013

Aubrey in a lobster pot....too cute!!!

• Jeannie57
    Jeannie57 Member Posts: 1,314
    edited October 2013

My mouth dropped to the floor when I read "lobster!" So unexpected. What a cute idea!

• MartyJ
    MartyJ Member Posts: 819
    edited October 2013

Nihahi - NYDJ are not really compression, but they do have some supportive engineering that keep things in place and enhance some of those places.

• bailey6760
    bailey6760 Member Posts: 380
    edited October 2013

Hey Americans, if you are interested, there is a lymphedema treatment act going before Congress. It is to enact a law to require compression garments be covered by Medicare and other plans. Go to this link and they make it very easy to contact your rep with your own or a form letter. http://www.capwiz.com/lymphedematreatmentact/home/

Thanks, friends!

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

Aubrey the lobster . . . can't wait to see the pictures!

Marty, your explanation of those 'engineered' jeans have now convinced me that I defo need them - thanks!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Thanks, Bailey. I have heard of this bill and I am happy to send an email to my representative. As I sit here in my "sausage-like" state with compression on both arms, both hands and from knees to boobs, I wonder how, in a few years when I'm on Medicare, I would ever be able to afford the hundreds of dollars required each four to six months for replacement garments......I am happy to report that I showered today without compression for the first time in two weeks. I got a good look at myself. Of course, after the shower I felt faint.....not from what I looked like but from the lack of compression! It's pretty funny to see my even flatter midriff and jiggly legs together. Good motivation to tone up somehow. I would look smashing in long pants and a midriff-baring top! LOL. I just wish one girl wasn't bigger and lower than the other. Is it possible to even them up in the office instead of the OR??????

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Jeannie - they are asking for stories on that same site, if you are inclined to share.

I totally want to get my belly button pierced when this is over. I would do it now but my PS is going to redo my bb scar at stage II.....So I'll have to wait. 

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

Moderators wrote:

The Breastcancer.org Rock the Ribbon fundraiser last Thursday was an enormous success. We had a fabulous, diverse attendance and so many positive comments about our amazing community of individuals. They were clearly touched by the images,the reach, and the powerful words, and we thank you for sharing them with us!! It helped bring YOU to our evening. Thank you, thank you!!!

Hugs from the BCO Team

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

supportive engineering sounds very intriguing!!!! Nerdy.

jeannie et al.......I have two wishes for the future....

1. BC is eradicated in our lifetimes, so we can know our children and their children and their children never, ever have to go through this (a tiny little sweet tasting pill would do it for me....one and done!

2. The consequences of tx, like lymphedema, neuropathy, flap failure etc...are also sorted out and gone forever.......SOON!!!!!

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 956
    edited October 2013

Bailey, I clicked on your link and the website couldn't have been easier.  A couple of mouse clicks and I was done.  I didn't even have to know the name of my congressman (uhhh....). 

Jeannie, I doubt if you could talk your PS into an office procedure for evening them up.  But here's an idea.  Let's commission an artist to scupt our version of a "perfect" woman's shape.  Then we'll manufacture compression garments to squeeze our bodies into that shape, exactly.  What are a few years of total-body compression?  The perfect womanly shape awaits!

Bailey, I would entertain the idea of piercing my belly button, but I would have a hard time explaining THAT cellulitis to my husband, let alone my PS!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

I am thinking of getting a tattoo on my belly scar that says F&CK CANCER, only with the U.....

• liefie
    liefie Member Posts: 761
    edited October 2013

Jeannie . . . .hahahaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Liefie, it reflects the "new me!"

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Lmao Jeannie....awesome....we want pictures.....

I always said when I lost all my baby carrying weight I would get my BB pierced..I just didn't really expect I would actually lose it....and certainly not this way...but here we are so wth

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

I am WAY TOO CHICKEN to pierce anything....other than my ears!!!

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Here's the link to the newspaper article. http://mukilteobeacon.villagesoup.com/p/therapy-after-breast-cancer-on-the-fly/1075384. I don't know why it isn't a hyperlink.....you can also go to the Mukilteo Beacon and find it there. The editor did a pretty good job on it, I guess....

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

oh! It is a link! Yay! I am such a tech-wizard.....not.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

oh! It doesn't work? Just google Mukilteo Beacon.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

Great article jeannie.....very well spoken.....CUTE picture too!!!!!

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited October 2013

Very Cute PIcture Jeannie! You look like a poster girl for health, and fly-fishing. Good article too.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

LOL Nihani

I don't buy them tight enough to hold me in. I wear a 6 and a buy a 6, but women who want to be held in would go down to a 4, etc. They just fit really well, and don't stretch out because they are made out of cotton, polyester (the secret to not stretching out) and spandex. These are for women who don't want to walk around with their butt cracks showing. They are stylish jeans with out being too low. I have some low cut jeans, and I feel like I am always pulling them up. The NYDJ make your butt look awesome, but hit right under your belly button. Very flattering.

BTW NYDJ stand for Not Your Daughter's Jeans.

• nihahi
    edited October 2013

hahaha...goldie...I'm going to have to track down these jeans just to try them on!!!!

• FierceBluebird
    FierceBluebird Member Posts: 463
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, that was a great article! And you are so beautiful! I wish they had a program like that around here. I use to fish all the time but have never tried fly fishing.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, when I sent my sons and DH an email with the subject, "My bone scan was clear!" one of my sons emailed back with, "Hell, yeah! F*ck cancer!" I still carry his email in my purse.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, great article, great quotes, great photo! You look adorable! I've been to Cle Elum and picked apples in Yakima, when we lived in Spokane.

Thanks for representing us so honestly, especially when you weren't even aware you were about to be interviewed.

What a lovely thing. Teaching survivors to fly fish. I wanna go too.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

Thanks, everyone! That picture was taken after wearing a hat all day, so I got lucky! Maybe I'll post a pic with me and the fish I caught soon....

Sbel, your attitude is super! For me, facing surgery is more complex. The whole IV experience in my foot, my craziness on the drugs, constipation issues, lymphedema issues....and possibly facing trunk compression again is something very unappealing, to say the least. Not to mention irritating rashes. I knew the original compression garment, because it was pulled up so far, had irritated (rubbed raw) my sitz area. Today I saw there is still a long scab on one side from it. Hmmmm....Manuka honey on my bum? Sweet! I don't know what I'll do about the boobs but I'll figure it out, I'm sure.

• Jeannie57
    edited October 2013

haha, as usual, I was responding to sbel's post from the OTHER thread....

• bailey6760
    edited October 2013

Jeannie - it's a very nice article. You said all the right things.....and the picture of you and your friend is lovely.

• sbelizabeth
    edited October 2013

Jeannie, if I had to wear a garment after surgery that rubbed an abrasion in my lady parts, I would take to my bed and stay there until the garment came off! OUCH! And I would never volunteer for such an ordeal again!

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited October 2013

Great article. Jeannie. It's obvious from the photo that you, and your friend have a special bond. Sometimes during the worst of times wonderful things can happen. You found a deep friendship. How wonderful.